DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

1 hour ago, emmarose said:

There's a lot to think about too, so with it being a different beast. When performing on the stage, that performance has to reach the amphitheatre, but the same performance that's being captured by film will also be using close ups, so it's about finding the balance of not being overdone in the close up, but still reaching those far away audience members. 

I don't know if anyone has watched Kathryn Morgan and her deconstruction of Nunez's black swan, which is fascinating anyway, but she says a few times about her choice, that she doesn't want to overshoot something and be messy, so she's making a safe choice, and obviously that was for a cinema screening, so it adds to the insight of what you go for when you know it's being projected.

I believe Vadim wrote in his book - I hope I haven't imagined this because I have lent my copy so can't check - that he wore lighter makeup if the performance was being filmed, but otherwise there was no difference to his process.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Missfrankiecat said:

I believe Vadim wrote in his book - I hope I haven't imagined this because I have lent my copy so can't check - that he wore lighter makeup if the performance was being filmed, but otherwise there was no difference to his process.

I haven't read his book, so that's interesting. It's fascinating how there's so many doing the same thing with different processes. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Missfrankiecat said:

He did. His inclination would be to use more but the Opera house wants less to look more natural.  

46 minutes ago, MJW said:

For those of us going to Saturday's matinee, something to whet the appetite:

From Dancersdiary - https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vsgez_wvFWY

Yes. I saw this posted on another thread earlier (Casting, maybe?) I am going on Saturday (and also Monday and another performance in November). I'm very excited! My appetite has most definitely ben whetted! :) 

• Like 2

I thought I would share my thoughts on Saturdays matinee performance. First, I absolutely loved the whole show, I don't think I could find any fault with this cast as they worked so well together. I was glad my initial feelings about Acosta's production based on seeing it on the first run have been overridden by becoming more familiar with the staging, and I was glad to see much more detail than on previous occasions.

As to the cast I can say I was really taken with Anna Rose O Sullivan's debut as Kitri, she had the technique as well as the characterisation for the role( no sign of nerves with the fouetees in the coda). She also had a wonderful rapport with her partner. 

Basilio really should be Steven McRae's role, and on Saturday he definitely delivered, not just in the bravura dancing but his characterisation was perfect, much improved on the last time I saw him ten years ago. His energy and enthusiasm was electrifying!!! He certainly embodies the Spanish style so well.

Needless to say I left the theatre on a high. I would love see this cast again later.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, alison said:

Well, you have two more opportunities to do so (they have 3 performances rather than the standard 2) :)

and a lot of tickets available, esp for this Friday 13 Oct, although I'm guessing the ROH will fill those seats somehow.

Given the slow sales all around (except for the Nuñez, Osipova/Magri et al DonQs) will be interesting to see the Swan Lake pricing. 

Edited by oncnp

5 hours ago, oncnp said:

and a lot of tickets available, esp for this Friday 13 Oct, although I'm guessing the ROH will fill those seats somehow.

A lot of seats priced at over £100.  Which seems to be the majority of them these days.  

Incidentally, apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but it is a bit naughty of the ROH to give the £125 seats and the £36 pound seats virtually identical colouring.  At least on my computer screen, anyway.  A newcomer to the website might get really excited to see all those apparently cheap seats available.....

• Like 5

Excited for Kitri’s friends, delighted for Sancho Panza and thrilled to see Isabella Gasparini again! Looking forward to some sunshine…

Had been planning to go to the Friends event but not sure I will make it at this rate…

Naghdi is really hitting her prime.  Makes it all look so easy and her frank enjoyment is infectious.  Perfect for this ballet.

Also a very impressive Dryad Queen from Mariko Sasaki - not only impeccable technique but managed to make the (imho sometimes rather dull and repetitive) solo look brand new.  I loved how she started low and really built the opening and her arms were beautifully expressive

• Like 10

Tonight was another wonderful ray of sunshine. Yasmine is always one of my must sees, especially in partnership with Matthew Ball. It is very hard not to grin from ear to ear watching the duo and enjoying the moments of comedy and the excitement of all the leaps, turns, holds - and those moments in their act 1 odd where the lifts turned into a bit of a throw in the air  (does everyone do that as I haven’t noticed before?).

Isabella Gasparini continued to be pure joy to watch - I would be happy to have her dance Amour in every performance I see. 

Charlotte Tonkinson and Mica Bradbury were confident and assured as Kitri’s  friends are were a lovely balanced pair to watch. 

Very much enjoying the Sancho Panzas- both in terms of the visual transformation and also the fabulous acting. On the note of visual transformation, I would never have realised that Christopher Saunders was behind all of that hair as Lorenzo!

A note across the 2 performances I have seen- it’s lovely to see some experimentation and opportunity in terms of the casting but there have been a couple of roles which seem to be a bit of an awkward fit.

• Like 4

Wow I haven’t seen Naghdi for a while and she was just absolutely amazing tonight. 
The whole cast were terrific including Ball of course and loved particularly Gasparini as Amour and just could not believe who was playing Sancho Panza tonight!! 
Enjoyed spotting some of the younger dancers even Ella Newton Severgnini finally…I was beginning to wonder if she had left! 
But the night was really Naghdi’s tonight ….so much time,  spaciousness and wonderful control in her dancing and such a great ballet to have fun with balances and one hand lifts in!! 

• Like 7

I thought Naghdi was absolutely gorgeous in the vision scene - never seen anything like it.  Overall, though, I've come to the conclusion that I prefer my Don Qs a bit brasher than tonight's performance, which is why I generally preferred the Magri/Sambé cast.  Also, I couldn't really relax during the grand pas de deux after Matthew Ball seemed to slip a couple of times early on in his solo - I was concerned that someone might come a cropper if the floor was slippery.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Blossom said:

Tonight was another wonderful ray of sunshine. Yasmine is always one of my must sees, especially in partnership with Matthew Ball. It is very hard not to grin from ear to ear watching the duo and enjoying the moments of comedy and the excitement of all the leaps, turns, holds - and those moments in their act 1 odd where the lifts turned into a bit of a throw in the air  (does everyone do that as I haven’t noticed before?).

Same here - last night was my first visit to the main stage this season, and what a way to start. Bliss! Whilst there are bits on DonQ that sag for me, those bits don't include any time when Yasmine is on stage. Her duets with Matthew and her solos reminded me of why I love going to the ballet.

Those little 'throw in the air' moves depend on the strength of the male partner vs his partner's relative size I believe.

• Like 8

So....about last night.  This was one of the best performances of DonQ I have ever seen.  I cannot praise Yasmine and Matt enough.  We had laughter, we had joy, we had technical perfection, we had flirtation, we had sheer beauty.  The whole cast seemed to rise up to another level to match that of the two leads.  It was a joy all round.

Itziar Mendizabal and Nicol Edmonds were well matched as Mercedes and Espada.  I didn't warm to Edmonds in Act 1, but felt he came to life much more in Act 3.  However, he doesn't have that same 'thing' that gives me goosebumps when I see Ryoichi Hirano or Brandon Lawrence in the role!  Itziar is always a delight in whatever she does, and brings a lot to the stage.  Tom Whitehead created the role of Gamache 10 years ago, if I remember rightly, and a decade on he is still making me smile with it.  The four beggar boys were excellent, with Marco Masciari particularly standing out.  My daughter thought that there was almost too much 'beggaring' in the background; she thought it distracted from what was happening at the front of the stage.  I will have to pay more attention on Saturday.    Mariko Sasaki was a lovely Queen of the Dryads, and as Amour you couldn't have got better than Isabella Gasparini.  She is petite but fills the stage with her smile and infectious happiness.  She looked as if she was born to inhabit this role.  Just lovely.  Gary Avis was, as always, funny and full of pathos as the Don, and as always made a huge difference to the role.  He projected every emotion, and again could make me laugh or weep.  

Matthew and Yasmine.  Wow.  I have always really admired them both and love this partnership.  In their early 30s, they are both at peak fitness and artistry.  I am so impressed with how Matt has developed as an all-round performer.  He could always act, but his technique has come on leaps and bounds (pardon pun) in the last two years.  His solos are much more virtuosic (I didn't notice the slips that Alison mentioned above) and he is able to imbue them in this ballet with swagger and humour.  His partnering is also robust, sensitive and assured.  Having danced regularly with Yasmine for eight years now, they are both confident enough with each other to take risks, and three 'lift throws' in succession shows this...as did the two one-handed lifts.  He even did an Ivan Vasiliev and stood on tiptoe whilst holding his Kitri aloft.  It was the perfect ascent, hold and descent.  No wobbles, solid as a rock.  I had a smile on my face whenever he was onstage, no matter what he was doing.  Bravo Matthew!

What to say about Yasmine?  For me, she (together with Fumi) is the most complete, beautiful classical ballerina in the company at the moment.  She is supremely gifted with a liquid gold technique, soft and flowing, yet strong and tough.  She tackles all the difficult technical requirements of any role with panache and seeming ease.  Last night she gave us a masterclass in how it should be done....all of it.  And all with a huge beaming smile.  I forgot my binoculars last night so was cursing on the way into the auditorium, but hey, I didn't even notice.  Both she and Matt had smiles on their faces that could have been seen from space, let alone SCS.  They work so well together and separately.  Their final pdd drew huge applause, as did their solos.  The house came down when it was finished, and deservedly so.  The fact that Yasmine has never won any award and has only been nominated once in her career (for Aurora in 2018) is incomprehensible, which is why I have no truck with them. 

I would soooo love to see them as Lise and Colas, if we are ever to see Fille again.  

Speaking of space, it seems that the stars aligned when this partnership was formed.  Both of these wonderful artists have developed together over the years, and are now in their artistic primes.  They bring so much out of each other. I am really looking forward to more this season, and am very glad that the AD has allowed this partnership to flourish and continue. 

• Like 20

Just a couple more things. 
Kitris friends danced by Charlotte Tonkinson and Mica Bradbury especially Mica who had such a bright expression both danced beautifully throughout. And as I said joyful Gasparini ( she almost seemed like a real fairy arisen from a woodland glen) was a delight. 
Mariko was very solid in Queen of the Dryads a role which can cause problems but not for her but as this is danced so much in competitions these days am not so keen on this variation now. 
I still can’t believe it was Daichi as Sancho Panza last night!!!! He was terrific. 
A friend who is a Friend got me into the pre show talk with Kevin O Hare and Leanne Benjamin and he said he was experimenting a bit with roles including putting younger dancers into more character roles and I think it is a great idea as Hay and Acri have already proved. Certainly Daichi pulled it off brilliantly last night. ( love Leanne Benjamin who always speaks with a natural eloquence and looking at least 30 years younger than she is and bet she could have easily  pulled off a few pirouettes at the end (joke at end when Kevin invited her to do some!!) 

I always have trouble identifying Lukas B for some reason ( the lead in the gypsy scene) and thought at first what is Graziano from Strictly doing on the stage. I had to ask a friend who was in the role in the interval I just don’t remember him being quite so tall and powerful looking as a student at upper school.  He suited the role though but Buvoli who I usually like not so well I thought. 
One little thing that bothered …the Royal are just wonderful at pulling together on stage and making scenes seem so real but in the first Act there were a couple of occasions but especially in one of Naghdi and Balls duets where the background rumpus and movement was starting to distract from being able to watch the main action ….perhaps just tone down a little when some pretty big main roles being danced ….it’s fine when other comedy bits etc going on but think when the two main characters are dancing just a little less rushing around at the back would be helpful. 
Just a small thing in a superlative performance by the Company last night. 
And back to the superlative Naghdi! 
Not just her actual dancing but loved the way she played Kitri …..just that lovely touch of irony in her humour …no innocent her!! And definitely in control of her destiny she’s an equal to Basilio in her household! 
Now one of my all time favourite Kitris. 

• Like 13

Just seen your review Sim and as you’ve mentioned Fille ( and yes these two would be a treat in that) a friend and myself were discussing in the interval that after the antics in this ballet with both Gamache and Sancho Panza where both get mocked in a good humoured way in the ballet we really couldn’t  see a huge difference between this and with Alain in Fille. 
Come on RB it’s time to stop pussy footing around and put on Fille …I can think of a few couples plus a few Alain’s who would probably be a sell out for ROH!! 

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Sim said:

Tom Whitehead created the role of Gamache 10 years ago, if I remember rightly, and a decade on he is still making me smile with it.

If created = danced the first performance of the production then that is listed as Gartside.

5 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Side question: Has Matty ever danced Espada? Or Yasmine Mercedes?

He has, she hasn't.

Apologies for being presumptuous enough to answer past cast questions when I wasn't seeing the RB back then but in the last few days I've been looking back at the past casts on the ROH performance database & have read the discussions on here of the previous runs, so I have the past castings at the forefront of my mind even though I didn't see them myself.

• Like 4

Just now, Candleque said:

Also — I know this has been covered — but it is sooo crazy how little we get to see Yasmine on stage at the ROH this season.

Indeed.  After Saturday night the next time we see her in a meaty role is SPF in December.  A few minutes in Dante in between but for me that doesn't really count!  

Matt has danced Espada but as far as I'm aware Yasmine has never danced Mercedes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

If created = danced the first performance of the production then that is listed as Gartside.

Ah yes of course, thank you.  I think I was so surprised at the time that it was Tom doing Gamache that that is the one that has stuck in my mind!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Just seen your review Sim and as you’ve mentioned Fille ( and yes these two would be a treat in that) a friend and myself were discussing in the interval that after the antics in this ballet with both Gamache and Sancho Panza where both get mocked in a good humoured way in the ballet we really couldn’t  see a huge difference between this and with Alain in Fille. 
Come on RB it’s time to stop pussy footing around and put on Fille …I can think of a few couples plus a few Alain’s who would probably be a sell out for ROH!! 

Funnily enough a bunch of us regulars were having exactly the same conversation....how is the treatment of Sancho Panza and Gamache acceptable but that of Alain isn't?  In both ballets it is good humoured, never nasty, and everyone turns out all right in the end.  If DonQ is acceptable for the stage, so is Fille.  

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Apologies for being presumptuous enough to answer past cast questions when I wasn't seeing the RB back then but in the last few days I've been looking back at the past casts on the ROH performance database & have read the discussions on here of the previous runs, so I have the past castings at the forefront of my mind even though I didn't see them myself.

You're not being presumptluous at all, Dawnstar - I often post things whereof I have no personal knowledge :)

• Like 1