DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

I am now so regretting that I didn't book for last night, as I normally would have done for opening night. The DQ prices have meant severe rationing. 

Not to mention the train strikes :(

• Like 2

So, I’m going to while away a long journey back by writing a review of last night.

Well, what a breathtaking performance. I had the rare situation of a general rehearsal coinciding with a show I had booked so I got to see two performances. I know we can’t write about rehearsals but whilst I enjoyed the rehearsal, it was obvious from the moment that Marianela and Vadim appeared on stage last night that we were about to see a performance that was simply on another level, and so it proved.

However, they were more than ably supported by the rest of the cast, who all seemed to be on amazing form and just supplied so much energy onstage. Everyone was just brilliant. Tom Whitehead was in the rehearsal as well so I saw him twice and he was a fabulous Gameche - I’m not really a fan of that kind of slapstick humour generally but he did it so well and provided many laugh out loud moments.

And Philip Mosley - wow! Such energy as Sancho Panza! I managed to exchange a few words with him at the stage door and said how trusting he was to allow himself to be thrown up in the air so high (gasps from the audience!). He replied that he had been egging them on and saying “Higher! Higher!” 😁 Brilliant.

As has been mentioned, the role of Espada might have been made for Ryoichi. Talk about smoulder! And every pose he struck and every step was just spot on for the character. I was elated to find that he was last night’s Espada as I’d seen him in the last run and enjoyed his performance then. If anything, he was even better last night. Perfection! And a special mention for his cape twirling abilities 😁.

I can’t remember if it was Mayara’s debut as Mercedes? But it was impressive, if so. She matched Ryoichi in the smouldering stakes step for step! Along with beautiful dancing. Their chemistry was great. Bodes well for her Kitri! Will be seeing that at the cinema.

Lovely sprightly Amour debut from Sae Maeda. And I thought Annette Buvoli was the most beautiful, elegant, serene Queen of the Dryads I’ve ever seen and a tiny stumble at the start of the dreaded Italian fouettés didn’t detract from that. Gorgeous work from the Corps in that Act as well - and I adore those tutus - surely the prettiest in ballet?

But - the night belonged to Marianela and Vadim, and how! They were absolutely on fire. Marianela was born to be Kitri - she has such sass, such humour and such spirit in this role, to say nothing of perfect dancing - her phrasing and timing is just impeccable and she possesses the ability to really play with the music and extract every last nuance from it. And she and Vadim seem to feed off each other and push each other to even greater heights, if that is possible.

Someone above mentioned the old chestnut that Vadim is thought by some too classical to dance bravura roles like Basilio. This annoys me so much when he has proved time and time again that it isn’t the case and it sometimes feels like people just repeating received wisdom. I don’t think anyone last night could have said he was “too classical” (except where it mattered) or not bravura enough. It was as though he said “How bravura do you want it to be? I’ll top it!” Amazing virtuoso dancing throughout, but more importantly his characterisation of the cheeky barber was spot on and so engaging. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a dancer clapped and cheered on so loudly (more so even than Marianela!) and he responded with That Smile and was obviously out to have an absolute ball with the performance. He has posted some wonderful photos on his latest Instagram post which go some way to capturing the sheer joie de vivre of his performance. I really like Vadim in these more lighthearted roles as they bring out the cheeky and comical side of his personality to perfection - and all with oodles of charm - a quality I find sadly lacking in many male dancers, I’m afraid. Plus his ability to perform jaw dropping variations (that Act 3 variation and coda 😲) without the slightest hint of ego or showing off.

The whole evening was a triumph for everyone involved and an additional word for the conductor - he kept things going at a wonderfully clipping pace; so often in Don Q it can be taken too slowly and sluggishly when it’s meant to be pacey and sprightly and when it’s done well it makes such a difference.

I went around to the stage door and luckily got there quite early and didn’t have to join the hordes outside. But we did end up getting trapped inside for quite some time because Marianela came out, closely followed by Vadim, and when Marianela reached the door everyone in the street crowded forward and no one could get out! Stage Door mayhem! Marianela asked several times if they could move back but she was whistling in the wind. It became clear after a while that we would need to try to force a way through before Vadim emerged as it was obvious it would all begin again once he appeared!

A spectacular night of dancing fuelled by a wonderful audience. Work tomorrow is going to feel very flat…

Edited by Balletfanp
Typo
  • Like 23

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

Linnzi5 😂

Even though it’s my own money I’m spending my partner is still quite likely to react if money spent on a ticket goes above a certain point ….he always has to add “and by the time you’ve added on the train fare”………..!! 
So your bit about going paperless made me laugh….as I always used to print off tickets ( which he did on his computer so could see all) when I didn’t trust digital so much but now I never print them off just show the phone so he can’t really comment any more! 
I know he’s only after my best interests though and I do give more thought to combining Ballet and Theatre visits with other things I’m mixed up with in London. 

Oh yes. I always get the same! ‘Don’t forget the price of the train fare!’ To be fair, my husband has every right to question my spending. Though I work, I spend my salary many times over 😳. I also go to a lot of West End musicals - though they are not the same sort of price as my ROH tickets! 

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

I am now so regretting that I didn't book for last night, as I normally would have done for opening night. The DQ prices have meant severe rationing. Grrr... But reading all your write-ups is the next best thing, so thank you all!

Yes. Me too, though I would have been a bit concerned driving home so late through country lanes in the middle of nowhere. I really love opening nights and am going to Nutcracker’s this year. 

I meant to ration this year and am not doing well with that so far. 

• Like 1

It is lovely seeing so many reviews of the opening night of Don Quixote, my mum and I are going to see Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov on the 19th October and this has made us very excited!

I had never seen Don Quixote live before, so decided this season this was the ballet to choose. 

Tangentially related we recently got a new kitten, a Burmese boy and we decided to call him Vadim after Vadim Muntagirov our favourite dancer, he is just as graceful, energetic and elegant as him.

Edited by WoodlandGladeFairy
  • Like 20

2 minutes ago, WoodlandGladeFairy said:

It is lovely seeing so many reviews of the opening night of Don Quixote, my mum and I are going to see Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov on the 19th October and this has made us very excited!

I had never seen Don Quixote live before, so decided this season this was the ballet to choose. 

Tangentially related we recently got a new kitten, a Burmese boy and we decided to call him Vadim after Vadim Muntagirov our favourite dancer, he is just as graceful, energetic and elegant as the dancer. 

How lovely!  And I am sure you will love the human version with Nela on the 19th....you will leave the auditorium feeling all warm and sunny and happy.  Do let us know what you think!  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, WoodlandGladeFairy said:

Tangentially related we recently got a new kitten, a Burmese boy and we decided to call him Vadim after Vadim Muntagirov our favourite dancer, he is just as graceful, energetic and elegant as him.

Great choice.  If you are on Instagram, I bet the real Vadim would love to see a photo of his namesake!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, WoodlandGladeFairy said:

Lovely!

More decades ago than I like to consider and the first of many, many other cats, brought home a tiny kitten and called him Nijinsky. He could jump! 🐈‍⬛

• Like 1

Just another quickie about cats! 
years ago I had a beautiful half Burmese half Siamese cat a pale soft grey with turquoise eyes which I called Toscar! 
I had vaguely heard of an opera by that name but didn’t realise the main character was female and spelled Tosca. Just liked the sound of the name. 
If I had known the story at the time probably wouldn’t have chosen that name! 

Sorry back to Don Q 

• Like 2

I've a feeling that those of us fortunate to have been there last night were witness to a once-in-a-lifetime magical event - perhaps on a par with Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall, or James Brown at the Apollo. But really beyond comparison to anything I've ever seen, and I've seen some fabulous performances in my life!

• Like 11

I have never seen such a throng outside the stage door and crowding out Floral Street in years. [Late career visits from Nureyev were similar within my memory].  That may have been in part accounted for by a lot of overseas folk.  Slightly surprised that there were, up until very late, odd tickets available for this performance.

Edited by Missfrankiecat
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Missfrankiecat said:

Slightly surprised that there were, up until very late, odd tickets available for this performance.

It was showing 'sold out' several times but (hearsay) the rail strike resulted in a number of returns.

I'm hoping that the buzz created by the opening night, and the good reviews which are trickling out, will help shift the hundreds of tickets still available for the Don Q run. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, emmarose said:

Their endurance amazes me, I'm still tired just from watching!

At least they do not have to adjust to different partners which must make rehearsals easier.  But it can't be great for the muscles, lungs and skeleton to spend so much time cramped in planes before such arduous exercise.

• Like 1

If they have any sense, I’m sure they would have flown business class and managed to stretch out!

I’m impressed by the fact that they are having to learn a whole new production of Don Q in about a week, having spent the last several weeks rehearsing the RB production - and then come back and try to forget the one they have just learned and get their heads back into the RB version! Vadim said at the stage door that they had deliberately chosen not to start learning the Jo’burg one over here, to reduce the risk of confusion (very sensible!). But that means, of course, that they have to learn it from scratch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Missfrankiecat said:

At least they do not have to adjust to different partners which must make rehearsals easier.  But it can't be great for the muscles, lungs and skeleton to spend so much time cramped in planes before such arduous exercise.

From their Insta posts when they were travelling in the summer, it seemed as if they were being flown out business/first class, they had their own little compartments in the plane. Also, as the company have requested them/flown them out and met them at the airport with a car, I imagine they flew them over pretty well and didn't give them a cramped seat.

I'd imagine they would want to show them a lovely time, they seem excited to have them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

If they have any sense, I’m sure they would have flown business class and managed to stretch out!

I’m impressed by the fact that they are having to learn a whole new production of Don Q in about a week, having spent the last several weeks rehearsing the RB production - and then come back and try to forget the one they have just learned and get their heads back into the RB version! Vadim said at the stage door that they had deliberately chosen not to start learning the Jo’burg one over here, to reduce the risk of confusion (very sensible!). But that means, of course, that they have to learn it from scratch.

My word! And then they'll have to come back and forget it all and go back to the RB version. 

This seems a lot more difficult than going over and doing a completely different ballet.

44 minutes ago, emmarose said:

My word! And then they'll have to come back and forget it all and go back to the RB version. 

This seems a lot more difficult than going over and doing a completely different ballet.

After which they may have to forget the RB version (again) and learn whatever version they are dancing in Israel at the end of the month.

Don Quixote (israel-opera.co.il)

Edited by oncnp

On 01/10/2023 at 16:46, WoodlandGladeFairy said:

It’s one of my favourite ballets to watch live, as it leaves you feeling so uplifted! It’s so joyful!

• Like 2