DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually talking to one of the RB dancers tonight, and Mayara's fall came up. He made the interesting point that if, as a dancer, you're thinking "what's the worst thing that can happen" - and then you take a tumble, as long as you're not injured you tend to think , well it did happen and I'm still here so what the hell? thereby being spurred on to pull out all the stops. It certainly had that effect with Mayara last night!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Don Q Fan said:

Why was Osipova not dancing is she out injured? Looking forward to on Magri on 28th anyway. 

Yes - out injured for her first two shows (with Sambe). Still listed for her last two (with Clarke).

The casting information thread covers this news.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, capybara said:

Some seriously interesting casting here, including exciting debuts.

This (in addition to the advertised leads) is what makes going to multiple performances of the same show so enticing.

Sae Maeda really impressed as Amour the other night so interesting to see her as a friend.

Edited by Missfrankiecat

2 minutes ago, Missfrankiecat said:

I will be very interested to hear how Anna Rose tackles Kitri.  She is a very precise, elegant dancer.

Me too (can’t make it today but am seeing one of their later shows).  It doesn’t seem to be her ‘natural territory’ in the way that is does for Magri, for example.  However I seem to recall Anna Rose dancing the Don Q PDD in an RBS show in the Linbury and being really struck by the liveliness and personality she injected into her variation.  Very interested to see what she does with the full role.

• Like 2

Thanks for the usual wonderful photos, @Rob S.  I'm almost as excited at the prospect of a season full of your photos as I am about the actual dancing!!  :)

I'm seeing today's cast later in the run but have been told that it was a wonderful show and that James Hay almost stole it because he was so hilarious!!  You can get a feel for that in the last photo above.  After his turn as the Stepsister in Cinders, I'm not at all surprised at how good he is here.

• Like 10

It’s wonderful that Luca Acri is such a terrific classical dancer and now seems also to revel and excel in these character roles not something every dancer can do. 
I bet he good give a really sympathetic  version of Alain in Fille. 

• Like 1

Well, what a wonderful evening! Mayara Magri, my goodness, an absolute star!  With an irresistibly cheeky Basilio from Marci Sambe and a spoonful of fabulousness from each and every member of the cast.

Who said this ballet doesn’t sit well on the company? It was sheer, feelgood magic from start to finish and I can’t wait for another piece of the same. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Was a fabulous evening - Magri and Sambe on sparkling form! 

I did make a point of looking at the whole company during the crowd scenes and they were all fully invested in their performances, not a weak link to be seen. In my inexpert opinion, the corps were wonderful in Act 2 (though they impress in everything I see). 

My first go in Stalls Circle Standing - the first act was a bit of a struggle, the next two much easier! Excellent view for the price though!   As I usually visit for the more sombre MacMillan repertoire, Don Q made a wonderful and uplifting change!

• Like 10

42 minutes ago, Cescablue said:

My first go in Stalls Circle Standing - the first act was a bit of a struggle, the next two much easier! Excellent view for the price though!  

I guess you must have got some of the better ones, then.  At the prices they're now charging, I'm starting to get a little picky about where I stand.

8 hours ago, alison said:

I guess you must have got some of the better ones, then.  At the prices they're now charging, I'm starting to get a little picky about where I stand.

D16, so at the rear of the stalls with a full view of the stage.  No complaints at £14, but then I guess I don't know how much they used to be!

• Like 2

I took yesterday a 1-day trip from Denmark to see the matinee performance - thanks to Ryanair there are suitable flights both in the morning and in the evening, though time in between is only just enough to come to the ROH and back to Stansted airport. Luckily everything went fine (to say the truth, the situation with possible strikes is what holds me back from visiting ROH more often) and even weather was great.

I absolutely adore Steven MacRae with his strong scenic presence and individuality and he was superb in this role, both artistically and technically, no trace of the injury - those jumps! He was a great partner for Anna Rose O'Sullivan (whom I also like a lot), and she made a brulliant debut. It was also a great fun to watch the interaction between the actors. I was also impressed by Leo Dixon as Espada, and of course Yuhui Choe was a wonderful Mercedes. I liked both Kitri's friends (Sophie Allnatt and Sae Maeda) and their parthers - well, I can name everybody from the cast list, they all provided an excellent performance!

Nikki B, and your daughter was also quite noticeable in the performance and I hope she'll have a great future in the ROH!

Thank you, Rob S for lovely pictures that will remind me about this beautiful performance!

• Like 19

8 hours ago, Sim said:

I would love to hear some reports on today’s matinee please!  I have to wait until the 17th to see this cast.  

I would too.

The only review I have is from a friend who does not frequent the ballet regularly. She messaged me yesterday to say that she thought the whole production was amazing and said she had a wonderful time. She particularly singled out Anna Rose as being outstanding. 

• Like 2

I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday’s matinee and am very much looking forward to the second performance on Friday evening. Anna-Rose O’Sullivan I found a little tentative in Act 1 but I thought she was fabulous in Acts 2 and 3. Steven McRae is a bravura Basilio and provided great support for his Kitri. I didn’t understand the Act 1 one arm lifts where the conductor both times brought the lift to an end: on opening night the conductor waited for Muntagirov albeit Muntagirov and Nunez were cleaner. I thought Leo Dixon made an impressive Espada, exuding insouciance. And Yuhui Choe’s Mercedes made an excellent match. Mariko Sasaki was a fabulous Queen of the Dryads and I enjoyed Meaghan Grace Hinkis’s Amour. James Hay certainly made the most of Gamache: another winning performance. I’m sure Friday’s performance will be a little more relaxed after the debuts and next weekend will start what should be a stunning triple with the Kaneko and Nagdhi casts on Saturday.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2