DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, capybara said:

Including confirmation that Joseph Sissens is indeed dancing Espada.

SO excited for this. Overall lots to look forward to this evening, including a perfect view from my SCS spot...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Suffolkgal said:

I’m such a committed amphi regular for so many decades I bit the bullet and booked a couple of rear amphi seats for Manons. Cannot believe the cost. At the moment I am employed but nearing retirement in a few years so not sure have many more years of regular ballet going!

I did the same, Suffolkgal, but for the reason that I thought the “better”/closer seats downstairs that I’d been mostly sitting in last season were now ridiculously expensive compared to last season while the front amphi seats weren’t comfortable, so I’ve booked for the last row of rear amphi which have a few seats which are, paradoxically, more comfortable. It’ll be a bit of an experiment-I’ve never watched Manon from so far back! Will see how it goes. Binoculars at the ready! (I have watched Romeo and Juliet from there before when I went for a last minute Friday Rush ticket, and it was far away, but I managed to see everything through binoculars.) OK, back to Don Q. 

Edited by Emeralds

I seem to be the only person who looked at tonight's cast list & wished I was seeing it not because of Sissens as Espada but becase of Boswell as Sancho Panza. I'll have to hope he might also be performing with one of the casts I will be seeing.

• Like 2

Fantastic performance tonight! Mayara Magri absolutely amazing in the Act II variation (never seen before such a perfect and effortless "diagonale ballonné") as well as in the last Pas de Deux (outstanding fouettés).

She started the performance with a spectacular and unfortunate fall (she initiated her step too fast and just flew and hurted the floor head first), but apparently, and fortunately, without injury. After a Act 1 where she obviously was a bit tensed after this fall, she delivered both Act II and Act III with tremendous passion, virtuosity, energy and charisma.

Kitri is really part of her DNA, she IS the character and plays it so naturally. She has something which reminds me the young Osipova when she was dancing this character at the beginning of her career: Same charisma, outstanding technique and enthusiasm to dance.

Her Kitri is probably on the verge of becoming a reference in the next ten years of history of ballet, and the video captation that is scheduled at the end of the month will be an important milestone for this production at the Royal Ballet.

Her partner Marcelino Sambé was close to perfect as well, and Sissens almost stole the show in his various variations: an impressive Espada, both theatrically and technically.

Excellent corps de ballet (as usual I would say...) and fantastic orchestra conductor, who adopted dynamic tempi (with a spectacular accelerando for the Kitri fouettés).

The Carlos Acosta production is excellent: I love the fact that he transformed this ballet into a true theatrical story instead of the usual succession of variations.

In a way, this DQ is close to the Bolshoi one: There is the same precision in details, every dancer even in the corps de ballet is a character and plays a distinctive role. There is the same explosion of life and energy.

Outstanding performance overall!

Edited by Paco
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Wow, last night was fabulous. Spectacular dancing from Magri and Sambe, the wedding pas de deux was particularly on fire. Magri’s slip was unfortunate but it must be particularly difficult to get back on form when there was such an audible gasp from the audience. However, this gasp was a sign of things to come- they couldn’t have hoped for a more engaged and warm audience who laughed and applauded in all the right places and no doubt made the pair feel incredibly loved.

Sissens was oozing sex appeal as Espada - I adore him but have never seen him quite like this. It’s no wonder Mercedes struggled to peel the other women off him. 
Loved Yuhui Choe’s Queen of the Dryads - she has such a soft and fluid port de bras supported by incredible strength in what looks like a very tough solo. It was also wonderful to see Isabella Gasparini back in the role of Amour, this time as a first soloist. She is sprightly, precise and musical and overall a joy to watch.

I have never seen Liam Boswell look so unappealing as he does as Sancho Panza - both in terms of the costume but also his excellent acting! A well rounded dancer (in more senses than one)! Can’t wait to see more from him.

Overall a stellar cast last night, now can’t wait to see Magri paired with Ball as I can’t believe the chemistry could exceed what we saw on stage last night.

Lovely to see @Balletbloke again too.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

I think the conducting this run (so far) is having a very good effect. When I first saw this production I don't recall humming any of the music afterwards - but this time it has been running merrily round in my head. The music now has a bounce and a drive that seems to really lift the dancers - and the  whole show.

I do hope Magri is all right and hasn't hurt herself.

• Like 3

special shoutout to Marco Masciari who led the urchins last night.  his pirouette sequence at the start of the village scene was exemplary, magnetic to watch and awesome in its precision and perfection.  his every movement thereafter drew the eye, sometimes away from the principals.  he also created an honest and believable character not holding back when tussling with Liam Boswell's Sancho Panchez.   he really is 'one to watch' both right now and in the future.

• Like 16

22 minutes ago, PeterS said:

special shoutout to Marco Masciari who led the urchins last night.  his pirouette sequence at the start of the village scene was exemplary, magnetic to watch and awesome in its precision and perfection.  his every movement thereafter drew the eye, sometimes away from the principals.  he also created an honest and believable character not holding back when tussling with Liam Boswell's Sancho Panchez.   he really is 'one to watch' both right now and in the future.

Agree

36 minutes ago, PeterS said:

I've had my eye on him for a while, it's good to see he's being used a little bit more, I think he's someone who is going to have a stellar career and I can't wait to see him climb through the ranks.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Yes.  It really is time the urchins were credited - they do so much.  And now cast sheets are online only there really can't be the excuse of lack of space.

• Like 6

Yes Marco Masciari was a stand out in his Prix year and he won the gold medal. I remember particularly liking him in his modern Piece back then. 

I can think of a few young partners in the RB for him for the future but I think he would be really great with Ivana Bueno from ENB!! 

Special mention to Leo Dixon who last night gave us stellar performances as both a matador and then lead fandango dancer partnering Hannah Grenell. 
(All perhaps rôle débuts ?). Leo may have been a gypsy too but impossible to tell from where i was.

This is shaping up to be a busy run for Leo as he has already danced lead urchin and a gypsy on opening night and was gypsy king in the general rehearsal too. What other characters might he grace us with? I’d hope he gets a chance at Espada. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Random thoughts about last night - I was too tired to post last night after not getting home until well after midnight due to the train strike, but overall I'm glad I made the effort to go :( 

Thought Joe Sissens made a good debut as Espada, although he would need a bit more attitude and strut to compete with Hirano in the role.  

Loved Isabella Gasparini's Amour - she was dancing so joyously.

Boy, that first act is LONG (you tend to notice these things when you're standing!)

Definitely prefer BRB's windmills scene for so many reasons.

Thought the tavern scene a bit underpowered - rather too tame and polite - before the principals showed up.

I'd thought all the matadors were quite tall, yet there appeared to be a rather shorter one at the curtain call?

Wow - that final pas de deux ought to be bottled and sold as a cure for the winter blues!  

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, alison said:

I'd thought all the matadors were quite tall, yet there appeared to be a rather shorter one at the curtain call?

there are six matadors in Act I

in Act 3 two of the six reappear plus a new one, not seen as yet.

Last night I think it was Caspar Lench. On opening night it was Harris Bell. 
I believe the remaining 4 from Act I are redeployed e.g. Leo Dixon who was Act I matador, Act 3 fandango dancer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, emmarose said:

I've had my eye on him for a while, it's good to see he's being used a little bit more, I think he's someone who is going to have a stellar career and I can't wait to see him climb through the ranks.

Ditto.  The first time I saw him I asked someone who he was, and since then he has been giving me so much joy watching him.  His roles in Woolf Works and Cinderella (his Jester is unsurpassed, for me) cemented what a brilliant dancer and interpreter he is.  

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Mary said:

I think the conducting this run (so far) is having a very good effect. [...] it has been running merrily round in my head. The music now has a bounce and a drive that seems to really lift the dancers - and the  whole show.

I do hope Magri is all right and hasn't hurt herself.

I thought the same on rehearsal day!  I was also humming. I do hope all fine for Saturday evening. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

there are six matadors in Act I

in Act 3 two of the six reappear plus a new one, not seen as yet.

Last night I think it was Caspar Lench. On opening night it was Harris Bell. 
I believe the remaining 4 from Act I are redeployed e.g. Leo Dixon who was Act I matador, Act 3 fandango dancer.

Ah, Lench would make sense.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Ditto.  The first time I saw him I asked someone who he was, and since then he has been giving me so much joy watching him.  His roles in Woolf Works and Cinderella (his Jester is unsurpassed, for me) cemented what a brilliant dancer and interpreter he is.  

I totally agree. His Jester actually made me like the role for the first time; his interpretation was wonderful, IMO.  He will do very well, I believe.

• Like 4