DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, capybara said:

They are not cast for anything with the RB between the 19th October and the 5th January so they might as well!

What a shame for us, but obviously a joy for others who get to benefit.

I did see they're going somewhere with Sleeping Beauty in December too.

7 minutes ago, emmarose said:

What a shame for us, but obviously a joy for others who get to benefit.

I did see they're going somewhere with Sleeping Beauty in December too.

Tokyo 

Maki Asami Ballet Company "Sleeping Beauty" - Maki Asami Ballet Company (ambt.jp)

The venue website has the dates as 2 and 3 December.

Edited by oncnp

9 minutes ago, Mary said:

Seems rather incredible really.

I was so disappointed not to be able to see them in Nutcracker before Christmas.  The cynic might say TPTB know that pairing will shift tickets even in January when the holidays are all but over and hope that seasonal pressure will sell the less well known pairings before.

19 minutes ago, Mary said:

Seems rather incredible really.

I come back to my point I've made earlier, Vadim is one of the most talented classical dancers in the world and there is nobody at the royal who is creating anything ON him, seems a complete waste at times.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, alison said:

Ah, but which came first, the (rubber?) chicken or the egg? 

Possibly a bit of both because dancers want to be dancing, not just rehearsing for months on end for the next RB show (especially if it is something they have performed numerous times previously).

But the fact is that Marianela and Vadim and many other RB Principals and Soloists I rate highly are now dancing abroad much more than used to be the case. And I want them to be here.

[Apologies; I think I have diverted this thread.]

Edited by capybara
  • Like 9

I do think Muntagirov is very special,  and it won't be forever.

It was already 3 months or more since I had seen him dance and it could easily now be 3 more. That does seem a bit absurd. I shall have to fork out for Don Q again. (Honestly I am supposed to be retiring but he is forcing me to carry on a bit longer!)

And much as I really enjoy DQ I would like to see him in something else.  (The Nutcracker pas de deux is glorious but it's a lot of money for a few minutes.)

I do wonder why when the RB has such stellar dancers who can sell the house we don't see more of them when we have lots of empty seats for The Cellist and Dante. It seems hard to believe the dancers  really do prefer 12 hour flights etc.

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, Mary said:

I do think Muntagirov is very special,  and it won't be forever.

It was already 3 months or more since I had seen him dance and it could easily now be 3 more. That does seem a bit absurd. I shall have to fork out for Don Q again. (Honestly I am supposed to be retiring but he is forcing me to carry on a bit longer!)

And much as I really enjoy DQ I would like to see him in something else.  (The Nutcracker pas de deux is glorious but it's a lot of money for a few minutes.)

I do wonder why when the RB has such stellar dancers who can sell the house we don't see more of them when we have lots of empty seats for The Cellist and Dante. It seems hard to believe the dancers  really do prefer 12 hour flights etc.

I'm almost reluctant to say this, but you're right in what you say, it won't last forever, and Vadim (from his Dance Europe interview) is very aware of this. He spoke about his impatience during lockdown that these were his prime years and he was stuck not dancing and that has led to him taking up a lot of offers to guest around the world.

I hate to think it, but if the RB do not use him to his advantage, there may come a time when he thinks he might be better used in a different company that might make better use of him in the latter years of his career. I hope it doesn't come to that, but I also hope that he's better used. I am honestly baffled that his beautiful style and technique do not inspire anyone at all that are currently on the Royal's payroll.

Edited by emmarose
  • Like 10

17 minutes ago, emmarose said:

I'm almost reluctant to say this, but you're right in what you say, it won't last forever, and Vadim (from his Dance Eurpose interview) is very aware of this. He spoke about his impatience during lockdown that these were his prime years and he was stuck not dancing and that has led to him taking up a lot of offers to guest around the world.

I hate to think it, but if the RB do not use him to his advantage, there may come a time when he thinks he might be better used in a different company that might make better use of him in the latter years of his career. I hope it doesn't come to that, but I also hope that he's better used. I am honestly baffled that his beautiful style and technique do not inspire anyone at all that are currently on the Royal's payroll.

I think that this subject is also alluded to in Vadim’s recent autobiography From Small Steps to Big Leaps.

Perhaps I should really make this further point on the RB Autumn Casting thread but it flows from this one.

It did strike me a while ago that, even though Anemoi  was made on younger/more junior dancers whom I love to watch, this season’s revival could have included some under-used Principals, especially as Lukas BB has 3 shows as Barenboim in The Cellist  as well as 4 in Anemoi  (and some as yet unannounced Espadas).

He may be gorgeous but he is not (yet) a crowd puller and, now that one can see the very sorry state of ticket sales for the double bill, an injection of ‘stardust’ might have been commercially prudent.

(Note to self to get back to Don Q a.s.a.p.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mary said:

Personally, I think the empty seats for The Cellist and The Dante Project are about the ballets themselves and not to do with the casting - there are even some stalls circle standing places left for Dante after public booking. In any event Muntagirov would be wasted in both of those ballets. 

It seems to me Muntagirov has an ideal balance: cast in most of the major roles in the RB rep - he  finally debuted in Mayerling last season - but free to guest all over the world for which I imagine he is (deservedly) handsomely rewarded. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, annamk said:

Personally, I think the empty seats for The Cellist and The Dante Project are about the ballets themselves and not to do with the casting - there are even some stalls circle standing places left for Dante after public booking. In any event Muntagirov would be wasted in both of those ballets. 

I entirely agree- I think, personally, that those slots should be filled with different ballets.

Sat 2 December matinee- a perfect slot for Don Q I would have thought. Dante Project is not exactly in the festive spirit.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, capybara said:

I think that this subject is also alluded to in Vadim’s recent autobiography From Small Steps to Big Leaps.

Perhaps I should really make this further point on the RB Autumn Casting thread but it flows from this one.

It did strike me a while ago that, even though Anemoi  was made on younger/more junior dancers whom I love to watch, this season’s revival could have included some under-used Principals, especially as Lukas BB has 3 shows as Barenboim in The Cellist  as well as 4 in Anemoi  (and some as yet unannounced Espadas).

He may be gorgeous but he is not (yet) a crowd puller and, now that one can see the very sorry state of ticket sales for the double bill, an injection of ‘stardust’ might have been commercially prudent.

(Note to self to get back to Don Q a.s.a.p.)

I didn't read anything he wrote in his book as indicating a dissatisfaction with his use at the RB - rather the opposite.  While he wrote a lot about the difficulties of lock-down at career prime time, I didn't translate that time of total inaction as having parallels with the current timetable.  He wrote of how much he enjoys guesting elsewhere - the experience and the money - and how grateful he was that Kevin and the company were open to his schedule of working with other companies.  He also made it very clear he did not want to work with any contemporary works as he feels it interferes with the classical technique and leads to injury.  I suspect the sparring use the RB makes of Vadim and Nela (and Osipova) serve to keep them here rather than the opposite.  All are now British citizens as well, I believe.  Sorry, I've digressed from DQ too.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, annamk said:

It seems to me Muntagirov has an ideal balance: cast in most of the major roles in the RB rep - he  finally debuted in Mayerling last season - but free to guest all over the world for which I imagine he is (deservedly) handsomely rewarded. 

Not to mention the frequent flyer miles

12 minutes ago, Missfrankiecat said:

I didn't read anything he wrote in his book as indicating a dissatisfaction with his use at the RB - rather the opposite.  While he wrote a lot about the difficulties of lock-down at career prime time, I didn't translate that time of total inaction as having parallels with the current timetable.  He wrote of how much he enjoys guesting elsewhere - the experience and the money - and how grateful he was that Kevin and the company were open to his schedule of working with other companies.  He also made it very clear he did not want to work with any contemporary works as he feels it interferes with the classical technique and leads to injury.  I suspect the sparring use the RB makes of Vadim and Nela (and Osipova) serve to keep them here rather than the opposite.  All are now British citizens as well, I believe.  Sorry, I've digressed from DQ too.

I didn't intend to imply that Vadim had intimated that he was dissatisfied with the RB. Apologies if my attempt to be brief conveyed that impression. I was becoming ever more conscious of posting 'off topic'.

Edited by capybara
typo
  • Like 2

No offence to anyone posting above but there is very little that hasn’t already been said about Vadim’s dancing more ‘away’ than ‘at home’ on other threads and I am looking to read about Don Quixote on this thread please folks.

Perhaps a dedicated “In Praise of Muntagirov” thread is needed alongside the “In Praise of Osipova” one.

I am very much looking forward to seeing and reading about the 7 other principal pairings and the infinite variations in castings in the supporting roles. Given the acknowledged breadth and depth of the RB’s talent pool, many of whom are on a par with Nuñez & Muntagirov, I don’t doubt that they all have the potential to be as wonderful as Saturday’s cast. 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, emmarose said:

I come back to my point I've made earlier, Vadim is one of the most talented classical dancers in the world and there is nobody at the royal who is creating anything ON him, seems a complete waste at times.

there was a Ben Ella ballet that Vadim and Fumi performed in Japan a month or so ago …

was that created on them or elsewhere ?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw1-v-bMbr0/?igshid=MWZjMTM2ODFkZg==

Edited by FionaE
Correcting myself

If you are thinking about the piece Benjamin Ella created for Hikaru Kobayashi's Gala, most of it was made on three RB couples: Mayara and Matthew, Marianela and William, and Fumi and Vadim.

From what one could gather online, Ben choreographed simultaneously with Northern Ballet Dancers and the work became theirs - to be shown during their residency at the ROH shortly.

29 minutes ago, PeterS said:

No offence to anyone posting above but there is very little that hasn’t already been said about Vadim’s dancing more ‘away’ than ‘at home’ on other threads and I am looking to read about Don Quixote on this thread please folks.

Point taken PeterS; but, when threads 'go astray' like this, the best way of getting them back on track is to write a meaty post which is 'on topic'. I would do that but I feel I need to see more than one cast before I 'commit myself to paper' here.

I'm sure that there will be many Don Q 'reviews' here after the three further performances this week and the several more next week.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi all! Really enjoyed the DQ performance on Saturday - the first DQ for me outside Russia. Spoilt in the past by unstoppable young Natasha Osipova and unworldly perfect Victoria Tereshkina, I have really enjoyed Acosta’s very nuanced production and a truly Spanish spirit of the ballet, as well as amazing chemistry and great dancing of Vadim and Marianela. The only misplaced part for me was the duet to the music from La Baydere at the start of Act 2. Would be interesting if someone knows why Acosta added it here. I know it’s still Minkus, but for me it’s so obviously from the other ballet with a different character and storyline. 

One puzzle I am trying to solve for the third day - who was dancing Dulcinea in Act 2 (in the vision scene with Cupid and Queen of Dryads)? In Bolshoi and Mariinsky it’s the same dancer who does Kitri, but it says differently in the cast sheet for DQ here. I really liked the dancing and it seemed like it must have been Marianela but got confused after looking at the cast sheet. Can someone explain please?

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Buru said:

One puzzle I am trying to solve for the third day - who was dancing Dulcinea in Act 2 (in the vision scene with Cupid and Queen of Dryads)? In Bolshoi and Mariinsky it’s the same dancer who does Kitri, but it says differently in the cast sheet for DQ here. I really liked the dancing and it seemed like it must have been Marianela but got confused after looking at the cast sheet. Can someone explain please?

The characters are listed in a confusing way on the cast sheet with Dulcinea underneath the Queen of the Dryads and Amour making it look as if she dances in Act 2. Not so!

As @alison has just said, Dulcinea is the white clad, veiled vision of Don Quixote’s ideal woman (introduced in the prologue). In Act 2, concussed and dreaming after his fall, he imagines Kitri to be that woman. Therefore, the leading ballerina (Marianela Nunez on Saturday) becomes that character for that one scene. So it’s the same here as in other versions.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Buru said:

Thank you very much for the clarifications - all makes sense (except for the confusing listing on the cast sheet)!

…… which has also confused the critic in Bachtrack (see Links) who should surely have been sufficiently familiar with the plot and the dancers to know that the leading female dancer in the Dryads scene was Kitri (Marianela).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, capybara said:

…… which has also confused the critic in Bachtrack (see Links) who should surely have been sufficiently familiar with the plot and the dancers to know that the leading female dancer in the Dryads scene was Kitri (Marianela).

I also consider myself sufficiently familiar with these, but the cast sheet… I even asked the lady by the door who helps people to seats and she told me it wasn’t Marianela 🤦‍♀️ which is why I decided to check on the forum, was hard not to believe your eyes but what’s written on paper 

• Like 1

I’m such a committed amphi regular for so many decades I bit the bullet and booked a couple of rear amphi seats for Manons. Cannot believe the cost. At the moment I am employed but nearing retirement in a few years so not sure have many more years of regular ballet going!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, capybara said:

Don't tell me we're going to have a repeat of the "corps de ballet artist does a fantastic job dancing Swanilda" situation :) (for those who weren't around at the time, a critic got their Swanildas and Coppelia dolls mixed up!) 

• Like 3