ROH Autumn 23 booking

Guest oncnp

Maybe we are considered as 'valued friends'!  We certainly should be, anyway!!  I'm very glad they have listened to us and anyone else who complained to them.  Maybe they are taking a new look at those £52 tickets as well....we can but hope!  

• Like 8

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very welcome news and I’m quite sure this thread has helped in bringing about the rethink. I’d checked the seat map earlier in the day but it was still showing £26 for standing so I was beginning to think there wouldn’t be any changes. I phoned the Box Office late afternoon as I hadn’t heard about my Don Q preferences and was delighted to find standing tickets are £14.

I’m not sure what other changes have been made - it looks as if Amphitheatre F38 which @bridiem raised and which I’d flagged in my email is still £67. 

I don’t think the Friends email problem has yet been sorted as I haven’t received this evening’s email which @Bluebird posted above. All very odd as Membership assure me my email is correctly showing on their list.

I’m hoping to have a good look at the Autumn seat maps and also look back a few years when price maps were published and where there was a much more consistent pattern. I think it would be good to see how ticket prices have increased for ballet and opera, either as a result of inflation or whenmseats have been moved to a higher price category. I also think there’s considerable merit in looking at ticket prices as a percentage of the top price as I know there are some very significant differences.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I’m not sure what other changes have been made - it looks as if Amphitheatre F38 which @bridiem raised and which I’d flagged in my email is still £67I

and, as I've already posted, the restricted view front side amphitheatre seats are still showing at £52 (£32 for Nutcracker!)

Edited to add that I imagine it was quite easy for them to change the £26 band to £14 as this price applied mostly to stalls circle standing and upper and lower slips.  The £52 and £67 bands apply to seats in a number of areas of the House and it would be really complicated for them to change only some of these areas.

23 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I don’t think the Friends email problem has yet been sorted as I haven’t received this evening’s email which @Bluebird posted above. All very odd as Membership assure me my email is correctly showing on their list.

The email I posted above was sent to me as a reply to an earlier email I'd sent to the Friends' office.  I got the impression that they only sent it to Friends who'd complained to them by email.  i.e. it was not received by a friend of mine who's a Premium 2 Friend and who had complained by telephone rather than by email.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I’m hoping to have a good look at the Autumn seat maps and also look back a few years when price maps were published and where there was a much more consistent pattern. I think it would be good to see how ticket prices have increased for ballet and opera, either as a result of inflation or whenmseats have been moved to a higher price category. 

If it helps, I seem to have saved the link to the price maps for all opera and ballet productions for the 2018/19 Autumn season. The ballets for that Autumn season were Mayerling. Bayadère. a mixed bill and Nutcracker

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/static.roh.org.uk/for/pdfs/seating-plan-price-mapping-tool.pdf?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2018_apr_pricing_widget_friends&utm_content=version_A&emailsource=

Edited to add that I believe 2018/19 was the first season where the productions didn't all have the same price bands. I'm pretty sure that, until then, all productions had shared the same price bands. Having said that, the prices within those bands had, of course, varied from production to production.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Well done to all who pointed out the 'errors/anomolies' in pricing to ROH. I am so pleased you will get your standing tickets at a fair price. I have been following this topic with interest and surprise at the increase for DQ but am so pleased your voices have been heard. :) 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

If it helps, I seem to have saved the link to the price maps for all opera and ballet productions for the 2018/19 Autumn season. The ballets for that Autumn season were Mayerling. Bayadère. a mixed bill and Nutcracker

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/static.roh.org.uk/for/pdfs/seating-plan-price-mapping-tool.pdf?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2018_apr_pricing_widget_friends&utm_content=version_A&emailsource=

Strewth! I look at these prices with some incredulity; I hadn't registered quite how much prices had gone up in such a short time (just looking at 'my' seats). Explains why I've been to to a third fewer performances in 2022-2023 than in 2018-2019 (and even then have spent more money, which can't continue). 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Strewth! I look at these prices with some incredulity; I hadn't registered quite how much prices had gone up in such a short time (just looking at 'my' seats). Explains why I've been to to a third fewer performances in 2022-2023 than in 2018-2019 (and even then have spent more money, which can't continue). 

Indeed, looking at the old prices, I’m dreaming about where I could sit!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

Strewth! I look at these prices with some incredulity; I hadn't registered quite how much prices had gone up in such a short time 

Same here. Looking at those prices actually makes me feel slightly sick at how much they have risen in only a few years. Maybe it would have been better if I hadn't decided to give that 2018 Mayerling a go & I was still only going to the ROH for occasional operas.

12 hours ago, bridiem said:

indeed - £6 SCS for mixed bills, £10 or less for 2/3 act ballets, discounted matinee prices - hard to take in it was only 5 years back 😞

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
16 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Can anyone whose booking for Don Q has already opened confirm whether the seat map for 7 Nov (Magri/Corrales) is really booked out for pretty much the whole left hand side or a mapping issue?

You are correct. The left side is only showing a couple seats available.  A random sample is marked "unavailable". Also there are 14 price categories for that performance (and the 2 on 28 Oct) v. 9 for the others. ROH doing a live fire exercise?

Edited by oncnp

21 minutes ago, oncnp said:

You are correct. The left side is only showing a couple seats available.  A random sample is marked "unavailable". Also there are 14 price categories for that performance (and the 2 on 28 Oct) v. 9 for the others. ROH doing a live fire exercise?

How strange. Hoping seats I want are still available for 3pm's friends booking!!

19 minutes ago, oncnp said:

The cameras are there for the Magri-Corales performances, so extra prices for camera restriction seats

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, MargaretN7 said:

The cameras are there for the Magri-Corales performances, so extra prices for camera restriction seats

Thank you. Presumably also filming on the 28th to have something in the can

18 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Has booking gone OK today for those Friends for whom booking is open?

I was wondering that too.  I do hope it was less stressful than my morning, booking accessible tickets for Muse!

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
27 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

No problems here. Was on at the crack of 5:00 my time and no website problems. Pleasantly surprised

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

I have never had any issues booking (no idea why I've been so lucky). I can book tomorrow, but won't be able to book at 9:00am. It will have to be later. I'll let you know how it goes! Fingers crossed it will go well! 

• Like 1

Nor directly related to booking woes, but to the autumn season - I'm sure there was originally supposed to be a Winter Draft works scheduled for 11 December, which I expected to be in the autumn booking period. It seems to have vanished entirely.  There's no trace of it now. 

2 minutes ago, Lynette H said:

Nor directly related to booking woes, but to the autumn season - I'm sure there was originally supposed to be a Winter Draft works scheduled for 11 December, which I expected to be in the autumn booking period. It seems to have vanished entirely.  There's no trace of it now. 

It may go into Winter. I've noticed that Hansel and Gretel booking doesn't open til 18 September for a mid Dec opening so potentially this will be the same. Nutcracker is probably an anomaly as people like to be able to book ahead.

19 minutes ago, Cheshirecat said:

I managed to book tickets this morning but the process has been so slow and stressful! Like @Silke H, my waiting time kept on bouncing all over the place, not filling me with confidence that I would get there. This website and booking system are a disgrace!

Same here. Not pleased at all  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cheshirecat said:

I managed to book tickets this morning but the process has been so slow and stressful! Like @Silke H, my waiting time kept on bouncing all over the place, not filling me with confidence that I would get there. This website and booking system are a disgrace!

I also had a bouncing waiting time, initially between "10mins" and "1 min" but then it settled down and I ended up with a 10 minute wait as first stated. Apart from that, the booking itself went very smoothly. I agree the website currently has various serious issues, but I wouldn't go so far as to call  the  actual booking system a disgrace...I have always found it pretty good. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blossom said:

It may go into Winter. I've noticed that Hansel and Gretel booking doesn't open til 18 September for a mid Dec opening so potentially this will be the same. Nutcracker is probably an anomaly as people like to be able to book ahead.

I couldn't find the Winter Draft works in Winter either. 

My experience was ok luckily- it took 15 mins in the queue but it didn't bounce around at all.  I was  a bit stressed as had to be in a meeting at 9.30 so the clock was ticking 😂 but once I was in at 9.15 it went very smoothly and I got everything I wanted in just a few mins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lynette H said:

yes, I had that on my planning list too. Perhaps it will 'appear' nearer the start of the season (or even after the season started)