Laura Morera’s farewell and thread for appreciation and fond memories

I know there have already been discussions and lovely memories shared on two other threads (the announcement of her retirement and the reviews of the Untitled 2023 triple bill), but as both those threads are already very long eg with thoughts and discussions about the McGregor and Wheeldon ballets, and members who have been acquainted/familiar with Laura's long career at the Royal Ballet might want to add personal anecdotes or observations from tonight’s farewell, I thought of starting a new one just for this. (Also for any other reminiscences even if not going to tonight's performance.) Members are still very welcome to review the new ballet and thoughts about the other two ballets in the triple bill thread, of course. 

(If it stays short or gets too muddled with the other threads, moderators please feel free to merge or delete as appropriate.) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Sim said:

I would love to say hello/goodbye to any forum members this evening so do please come and say hi if you would like to.  There will be a few of us sitting in the Floral Hall by the small stairs leading down to the old part of the House in both intervals.  

Hope you don’t mind if I add this bit to highlight the meeting point you’re organising tonight, Sim. 😊👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My own first memory of Laura Morera goes back to the mid 1990s, when Twyla Tharp was making Mr Worldy  Wise for the Royal Ballet. One evening there was an open rehearsal - a Friends' do, I guess, anyone else remember it? - in one of the studios (we had to go in through the stage door - big thrill!).

Tharp was working with some of the younger dancers and at the end she drew Morera and Ricardo Cervera forward and said something along the lines of "These two are in the corps de ballet at the moment but I guarantee that you will very soon see them both moving up through the ranks" - so I kept a look out for both of them from then on and was delighted to see that Tharp had a sharp eye for talent!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I will never forget Laura's debut as Manon.  She is always so deeply intelligent in her approach to a role, but this one really knocked me for six. She really, really got it, and when Manon died Laura lay there on the stage with her eyes frozen open until the curtains came down.  I had never seen that before, nor have I seen it since.  I remember feeling physically bereft at the end.  

One of my other fond memories of her was during Onegin when a woman in the stalls started screaming because her husband collapsed (I never did find out if he had died or if it was something else).  Laura and Federico calmly finished their pdd and when the curtains came down I heard that Laura then went into the wings and cried.  Just amazing how they had both carried on as if nothing had happened.  

Lise, Manon, Mary Vetsera, Giselle, Natalia Petrovna....Laura always brought her own wonderful interpretations to any role she danced...and she danced them all to a level that either broke my heart or made me smile with joy...or indeed both at the same time.  That she never got to dance Juliet is a crime against ballet for which I will never forgive the RB's artistic management.

That aside, a huge thank you and gracias to Laura for all the joy her artistry has brought to me over the past two-plus decades.  I am so happy that she is staying to pass on her incredible knowledge and understanding to the younger generation.  Both they and the company as a  whole will benefit hugely from Laura's coaching.  I wish her all the luck in the world with that and any future endeavours that she undertakes.  I will miss her terribly onstage, but I know she will do great things off it.  

• Like 30

Beautifully put as always, Sim.  I can’t remember when I first saw Laura dance, but performances that stand out in my memory are her Manon with Federico Bonelli (what a superb partnership that was), Mary Vetsera, Green Girl in Dances at a Gathering, and her absolutely extraordinary Natalia Petrovna in “Month” (a role I wish she’d been able to perform for her final London appearance).

I feel privileged to have watched her inhabit her every role, and will miss her very much.  Thank goodness she’s staying on to give the younger dancers the marvellous benefits of her wisdom. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Huge congratulations to Laura and enormous thanks for countless performances over the years. Laura so inhabits the role that she touches the soul of every character she dances, making her performances so memorable, utterly compelling, and at times gut wrenching as in Anastasia. And not forgetting the humour of The Concert and Queen of Hearts and the wistfulness of Green Girl and Lady Elgar.

I’m so pleased Laura will be coaching the Royal Ballet and I hope we’ll soon see Liam Scarlett’s ballets performed by the Royal Ballet with Laura overseeing the productions.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I remember how Laura and Federico continued dancing during the screaming lady episode in Onegin, I imagine the man wasn't too seriously ill as from my front row amphi seat I saw the ushers walking around the stalls and stalls circle in the interval, and everyone was smiling. Amazing concentration from the dancers though.

Laura was outstanding as the Gypsy Girl at the first performance of the new production of The Two Pigeon!

I wish her very best wishes in her new career.

• Like 13

What a wonderful and emotional farewell to Laura tonight.  A flower throw, bouquets galore, many presented by her onstage partners (so lovely to see Federico Bonelli amongst them), a very nice speech from Kevin O’Hare (and I very much appreciated that he acknowledged Liam Scarlett and his importance to Laura, which clearly moved her very much), and a big turnout from so many dancers who shared the stage with Laura over the years.  She made a brief speech thanking everyone.  It’s hard to imagine that this sweet and humble artist has brilliantly portrayed such a wide range of roles throughout her career. I find it so sad that none of her triumphs nor any of her major roles have been committed to film or DVD.  I just have to hope my memory holds out so that I can conjure them up from time to time.  

It was wonderful to see/meet so many forum members tonight. Thank you all for popping by!  ❤️

• Like 21

There is absolutely nothing that I can add to what has already been said so eloquently and poignantly about the joy that Laura has brought to all of us during her years with the RB but I will say what a privilege it was to be there tonight. What a powerful, passionate and extraordinarily moving  performance from Laura and what a wonderful tribute and show of love from her partners over the years and from the whole company, something that was echoed by everyone in the audience tonight. 

• Like 14

Wonderful performance from Laura tonight, and I’m sure I wasn’t the only one thinking, “Is this the last time we’ll see Laura on stage? Will we be lucky and see her invited (and agreeing) to return to this stage, like Alessandra Ferri has done from time to time?” I found myself not really thinking too much about the programme or Anastasia Act 3, but just trying to take in and remember every leap, every turn, every gesture and every look she gave. In the end, she made the entire programme (not a combination I like nor would have chosen at any time) more enjoyable simply because of her artistry and, admittedly, the occasion. 

Loads of cheers- I think I called out 6 “Brava”s on your behalf, @Sophoife, but if it’s too much I’ll take the extra ones 😊. My whole section was cheering, and - yes, why not - most people had their cameras/phones out snapping or videoing her curtain calls and red runs. The flower throw began, bouquets were brought out for Laura, and the little parade of her current and former partners and costars began, to present her with flowers-Alexander Campbell, Vadim Muntagirov, Christopher Saunders, Steven McRae, Matthew Ball, Philip Mosley, Edward Watson, Ricardo Cervera, Federico Bonelli (all the way from Leeds?!!), and Ryoichi Hirano and Bennet Gartside themselves left the stage to go back to the wings to join the parade of flowers and a hug and kiss for Laura. (I may have missed two; couldn’t see clearly from where we were sitting).

Then finally Kevin O’Hare’s turn to do the same, as other colleagues started filing in quietly at the back to applaud - I spotted Marianela Nuñez, Leanne Benjamin, (I think) Deborah MacMillan. A lovely speech from Kevin highlighting her 27 years with the company and her versatility, and then the mike given to Laura, whose speech was sweet, from her heart, and concise (just like her dancing), thanking the audience and her colleagues for their support. More flowers from the flower throw, elegant and humble reverences from Laura, and the house lights came on for the final curtain, to allow people to catch their trains etc. Warm, memorable but economical (not dragging it out longer than necessary)- her farewell and curtain calls just like her acting. A star who will be missed. Glad I went! Thank you and Brava, Laura. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Am just going to list some of my faves she has danced (of course far from an exhaustive list of her roles- she worked so hard and was such a popular choice of choreographers that I couldn’t even see them all)....hopefully happy memories for others as well and not just me: -

Lise, La Fille mal gardee

Swanilda, Coppelia

Titania, The Dream 

The wife, The Concert

Queen of Hearts, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland 

Autumn Fairy and Fairy Godmother, Cinderella 

Mercedes, Don Quixote

Gypsy Girl, The Two Pigeons

Symphonic Variations

Masha, Winter Dreams

Manon 

Chroma

Rhapspdy

Ballo Della Regina

Natalia Petrovna, A Month in the Country

Song of the Earth

If I didn’t list one of her major roles, it’s not because she wasn’t good in it but because I couldn’t get to see it! Graham Watts’ review for Bachtrack in the Dance Links mentioned he would have liked to see her in an Ashton ballet for her farewell, and it then occurred to me that she would be ideal as Marguerite in Marguerite and Armand, which she hasn’t danced so far. Seeing as Ferri returned to the ROH Main Stage after her official retirement (at ABT) to dance Mrs Dalloway/Woolf in Woolf Works and Marguerite, I’m hoping that maybe that will similarly happen for Laura (she’d be stunning and brilliant in both). And am still hoping a Juliet comes up for Laura. 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Edited by Jan McNulty
At request of poster to correct a statement
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I'm now really regretting that I (or anyone else) didn't start one of these for Ed Watson when he retired.  However, I think any serious contribution to this thread by me will have to wait until the morrow.

• Like 3

Interesting looking at the different outfits for the men hugging Morera.  Everything from smart suits to top to toe denim.  Who is the chap in the shiny black suit jacket?  The photo only shows his back.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Interesting looking at the different outfits for the men hugging Morera.  Everything from smart suits to top to toe denim.  Who is the chap in the shiny black suit jacket?  The photo only shows his back.

I think that might have been Ricardo Cervera, but no doubt someone will correct me if not.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Rob S said:

52981250532_a3604d35bf_b.jpg

52982237890_0f252c3106_b.jpg

52981255562_3b324d0141_b.jpg

52981254872_7e34d182e9_b.jpg

52981287872_edfe979eb9_b.jpg

52981254107_7b8829299f_b.jpg

52982235430_4a878540ed_b.jpg

52982013419_a64c2f4cd2_b.jpg

52981867461_4f58b6f24d_b.jpg

52982317428_2b8d61f236_b.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful photos, @Rob S. The ones of her with Federico Bonelli made me tear up as did my husband when I showed them to him. Laura’s presence on stage will be much missed. I wish her the very best for her future career. 

• Like 10

As we weren’t living in London at the time, we didn’t ‘discover’ the RBS Summer Shows until the mid nineties. In those days, the tent at Holland Park was a little primitive but nothing could detract from the students’ talent.

Laura was on stage the second year we went and completely blew us away as The Gypsy Girl in The Two Pigeons.
And thus it has been ever since - no matter what the role, no matter where one is in the auditorium her dancing, her ‘spot on’ characterisation and her heart and soul have reached the audience completely and in a way unique to Laura.

A ‘thank you’ doesn’t seem enough but my cup is full of wonderful memories - maybe Tatiana in Onegin, Lise in Fille and Natalia Petrovna in Month come to the top of my personal pile. But, Laura, the last 27 years with you have been truly special.💕

• Like 16

The role that will stand forever in my memory is when Laura danced Giselle with Federico Bonelli.  Both were utterly moving and fabulous.  Tears come to my eyes as I think of it, and I will remember that performance til the day I die.

Last night, people sitting next to me had been unhappy with the first two works but after the third, they said 'Ah - that made it all worthwhile.'  

I didn't send her flowers last night as I thought she would have too many - I had sent her some previously.  But when she only got one big bunch I wished I had.  Then, suddenly, a veritable deluge of bouquets began to arrive, along with hugs and so much love for her that it was palpable.  So much talent and passion in such a tiny figure, her feet often dangling off the ground as she was embraced. What a privilege to have been able to watch her perform over the years.  She never disappointed.

• Like 17

Guest oncnp

The (public) IG account of "carriebarler" has some beautiful video of the flower parade

Edited by oncnp
clariification

10 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

The role that will stand forever in my memory is when Laura danced Giselle with Federico Bonelli.  Both were utterly moving and fabulous.  Tears come to my eyes as I think of it, and I will remember that performance til the day I die.

Last night, people sitting next to me had been unhappy with the first two works but after the third, they said 'Ah - that made it all worthwhile.'  

I didn't send her flowers last night as I thought she would have too many - I had sent her some previously.  But when she only got one big bunch I wished I had.  Then, suddenly, a veritable deluge of bouquets began to arrive, along with hugs and so much love for her that it was palpable.  So much talent and passion in such a tiny figure, her feet often dangling off the ground as she was embraced. What a privilege to have been able to watch her perform over the years.  She never disappointed.

I absolutely agree re the Giselle in 2021. It was so beautiful I went again. Also, Natalia Petrovna (why so long to be cast) and Mary Vetsera (ditto), also her remarkably vicious Larisch. Very pleased to have have seen her bring her particular charm, technical accomplishment and imaginative absorption to Cinderella, Tytania seeming to shake off the memory of the encounter with Bottom in the final de deux, and loved her Green Girl in Dances at a Gathering. Hopefully, her Manon Bedroom pas de deux from the lockdown screenings will emerge at some point.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, capybara said:

bbb_mrs on IG has a video of the ‘parade of the flower givers’. 👏😊

Thanks for this. The poster also kindly names the men giving the flowers, which is great! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, capybara said:

bbb_mrs on IG has a video of the ‘parade of the flower givers’. 👏😊

Link to the IG post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ctm_wuxoPQR/

@carriebarler links:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ctn_cPio8yh/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtoCUa7IUot/

I'm not a regular enough visitor to the Royal Ballet to have seen much of Laura Morera but there is one performance I will never forget.  When there was a proposal to have an ROH North a mini-gala programme was presented at The Lowry featuring RB dances.  Completely out of context and with no scenery Laura and Federico performed the Act 3 duet from Onegin - what can I say...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

So many others have already mentioned the cherished performances in different roles, so I will just add I also enjoy the coaching and performance interviews she has given in more recent years etc.  In a world of superficial platitudes her intelligent and self-effacing insights are refreshing in their simple depth and I always learn something new when I hear her speak.

• Like 14

11 minutes ago, Missfrankiecat said:

So many others have already mentioned the cherished performances in different roles, so I will just add I also enjoy the coaching and performance interviews she has given in more recent years etc.  In a world of superficial platitudes her intelligent and self-effacing insights are refreshing in their simple depth and I always learn something new when I hear her speak.

A lovely observation, Missfrankiecat. 

• Like 4

Thank you all and @Emeralds I'll take five of those Bravas! 

So happy to have seen Miss Morera as Titania back in 2017, and on my recent trip as Aurora. Also in Brisbane as Paulina. Can only wish I'd seen her as Natalia Petrovna, or Tatiana, or Giselle, or...

Am I correct in thinking that she and Bennet Gartside graduated RBS in the same year? How very fitting, then, that they shared her last performance as a company principal on the Covent Garden stage (please note I'm leaving it open for her to perform there again!).

• Like 9