Visiting Stage Door/Royal Ballet Dancers post-Covid

2 hours ago, Peony said:

For entry to venues/ travel you’re not  meant to use the government tests, I think you have to obtain a private test and they have different methods of reporting and verifying. Have heard of sending a picture/ doing them at the venue so the actual method may vary. 
the government ones are just for surveillance and they were phasing them out for the general public although I’m not sure whether that will happen or not now

I didn't know this - thought it was just foreign travel you're not supposed to use the free tests for.

That said, a test hasn't been a requirement of anywhere I've been yet so 🤷🏻‍♀️.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Peony said:

For entry to venues/ travel you’re not  meant to use the government tests, I think you have to obtain a private test and they have different methods of reporting and verifying.

Every "venue" I've been to has asked for standard lateral flow tests - although I think these could be subject to abuse.

14 hours ago, Peony said:

For entry to venues/ travel you’re not  meant to use the government tests, I think you have to obtain a private test and they have different methods of reporting and verifying. Have heard of sending a picture/ doing them at the venue so the actual method may vary. 
the government ones are just for surveillance and they were phasing them out for the general public although I’m not sure whether that will happen or not now

If you had to use private tests for entry to venues, the relevant industries would collapse. Of course you can use an NHS LFT for entry to venues. You can’t use them for foreign travel.

• Like 2

However he did say whilst not going ahead now they will be “keeping it in reserve as a potential option“ 

So that probably means in another months time lol!! You can’t really trust anything they say to be honest. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

However he did say whilst not going ahead now they will be “keeping it in reserve as a potential option“ 

So that probably means in another months time lol!! You can’t really trust anything they say to be honest. 

So many u-turns from the Government on this issue, it's really quite ridiculous. I have the upmost sympathy for anyone involved in running or working in an 'entertainment venue'. The Government is just making a pretty dire situation much worse. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Peony said:

travel - where PCR  is   required that has to be private 

LFTs  still freely available from community pharmacies AFAIK  and even when the ccollect code thing comes in no news on charges  - and of course  school / college / workplace LFT supply  remains in place 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing/regular-rapid-coronavirus-tests-if-you-do-not-have-symptoms/

7 hours ago, Peony said:

The date given for stopping supplies of LFTs was the end of September, haven’t hear anything about it recently. Still time for several U turns!

i think the 'collect code' for  Pharmacy supplied LFTs is  part of the U turn  on  supply - although not sure  whether that means they will  be cuttign peopel off who don;t  actually   submit results ? or  if  it;s just to try and stop them being gizzits

I've just applied for my official vaccine letter thanks to Richards link. Really very easy to do. The most difficult thing was finding which vaccine related part of the website I needed. As the government say it won't be necessary now I'm sure I'll need it sometime soon. 

• Like 7

Just had an email from Sarasota Ballet about their Covid restrictions for live performances.

So they're going ahead with vaccine passports.

Effective September 26th, 2021, we will uniformly implement the following policy:

• all patrons aged 12 and older must show either:
    • a negative PCR COVID-19 test administered by a medical provider or official testing center no earlier than 72 hours before the time of our performance, or
    • a negative rapid antigen COVID-19 test administered by a medical professional or official testing center no earlier than 24 hours prior to the time of our performance. Home testing kit results will not be accepted for entry.
  • If patrons prefer, CDC or an other official vaccination record showing patrons are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (at least 14 days since the final dose) may be voluntarily presented at the door as an acceptable alternative to negative COVID-19 test results.
  • Both physical and electronic presentation of documents will be accepted. Photo identification must accompany the presentation of all documents.
  • All patrons over age 5, regardless of vaccination or testing status, must wear masks over their nose and mouth at all times while inside the venue

Details may be revised based on CDC guidance and the evolving circumstances of the pandemic.

36 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Just had an email from Sarasota Ballet about their Covid restrictions for live performances.

So they're going ahead with vaccine passports.

That's only one option, though.  You can still get in on a negative test result - which is how it should be - just one more securely administered than in the UK, which, as I've indicated earlier, could be faked, as self-reported.

I read that the metropolitan opera house have banned all unvaccinated people. If you can’t have a vaccine it’s tough, including all children under 12 who have no option of a vaccine. At least the Sarasota ballet seem to be a bit more reasonable!

• Like 1

I’m sat in the Theatre Royal, Bath watching The Dresser. Every single person sat round me was mask free during the first half, then virtually all of them put on a mask to go and get an ice cream in the foyer. 🤦🏻‍♂️

50 minutes ago, alison said:

I thought those were the rules - mask while you're walking about, then take it off once you get to your seat?  Mind you, what do I know?  I tend to keep mine on most of the time regardless.

From the ROH

Out of consideration for those around you, please wear a face covering at all times, unless exempt for medical reasons.

Visit us (roh.org.uk)

From the email we all got a day or two before the performance 

Our staff members will continue to wear face masks when welcoming our audiences and members of the public. We encourage audience members to join us in doing the same when moving around the building and when seated in the auditorium.

There were signs saying to wear a mask in the corridor between foyer and auditorium but no announcements. 

In my area of the auditorium (Stalls aisle seat) only the two people behind me decided to go with that encouragement 

43 minutes ago, Rob S said:

From the email we all got a day or two before the performance 

Our staff members will continue to wear face masks when welcoming our audiences and members of the public. We encourage audience members to join us in doing the same when moving around the building and when seated in the auditorium.

There were signs saying to wear a mask in the corridor between foyer and auditorium but no announcements. 

In my area of the auditorium (Stalls aisle seat) only the two people behind me decided to go with that encouragement 

Was at the opening performance of opera season on 13th September and have to say the vast majority of people were exercising their 'new freedoms' and not wearing masks, at least in the Amphi.  Spoke to one FOH member who - when asked about her feelings - said she felt 'distinctly unsafe'.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Was at the opening performance of opera season on 13th September and have to say the vast majority of people were exercising their 'new freedoms' and not wearing masks, at least in the Amphi.  Spoke to one FOH member who - when asked about her feelings - said she felt 'distinctly unsafe'.  

Not happy about this at all. I can see myself arriving at the ROH with a mask and shield.

But, back to the original theme of this thread, with so many RB debuts coming up, I think I could be spending quite a bit of time outside in Floral Street (in the rain).

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Not happy about this at all.

I quite understand your feelings, capybara.  I wore two masks - much as I do on public transport.  (Like everyone else, I assure you I, too, find it uncomfortable - but couldn't live with myself if I thought I was knowingly - in any way - apt to be a physical threat to others.)  I would say now that they (i.e., the ROH and public transport) are on a similar level in terms of Covid/Delta protection.  (Although, of course, I may here be a tad unfair to TFL - given that mask wearing is - at least on paper - a 'condition of carriage'.)  Even so, I would say that at least 50% of people I've seen recently on TFL are choosing to ignore that fact and the staff certainly aren't - at least from my observation - seeking to enforce it.  

I'm only really fearful given that yesterday - while Boris was reshuffling his home teams - the Covid/Delta daily death rate climbed to over 200 again.  Given the rate the Delta seems to be replicating, the spectre is - or certainly could be - for some - in the short term - particularly alarming.  It all boils down to what level of risk you, yourself, are happy with.  I suppose we all have our choice - i.e., to go or not.  Certainly - as the government has now made clear - we are currently in this for ourselves. 

The number of people willingly prepared not to think of others in the ROH amphitheatre the other night I, myself, I must confess, found hurtful.  However that I well realise may just be me - (clearly I'm in the minority on that issue in these environs) - and I - as instructed - just have to find a way to live with that; 'suck it up' as they say.  Still, we all have to breathe.  The woman standing immediately to my left passed out within the first 20 minutes of the commencement of the new production of 'Rigoletto' - one which I have to say I enjoyed.  The circulation of the air was just so close.  She and her partner didn't return.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

I was also in the amphi on the 13th but everyone around me was masked up. When I arrived unmasked from the street and said something along the lines of: "Oh yes, masks of course", the reply came back: "It's up to you". I put on my mask.

Recently at Sadler's Wells, almost everyone was unmasked in the foyer, donned their masks to take their seats, promptly took them off and didn't bother putting them on again for the interval or when leaving.

I've every intention of wearing a mask - blame peer pressure maybe? - when I return to ROH in a few days, but I don't accept that not wearing one makes you a bad person or a stupid one.  For all but the "fitted" masks, the benefits are as far as I have seen marginal.

It's a cliche but the best thing by far you can do to protect yourself is to get vaccinated. Anything else, short of staying at home, is tinkering at the edges.

• Like 5

I thought there was a considerable advantage if everyone wears masks. The marginal advantage is if you wear one yourself but others around you don't. Unfortunately this is the problem if we are in a position where mask wearing is individual choice. It means that it's impossible to control your own risk. Apart from by not attending of course! 

Although obviously that's absolutely correct that double vaccination is by far the best protection of all. Sadly that protection isn't 100% and I expect we all know of fully vaccinated people who have caught covid. So the masks add further protection against infection. 

I am personally somewhat concerned at the thought of sitting in a full theatre with very little mask wearing. That's a big step from the arrangements of the spring / summer season. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, DanJL said:

I thought there was a considerable advantage if everyone wears masks. The marginal advantage is if you wear one yourself but others around you don't. Unfortunately this is the problem if we are in a position where mask wearing is individual choice. It means that it's impossible to control your own risk. Apart from by not attending of course! 

There was a recent study (done in Bangladesh) which purported to show this but even if you were to ignore the various concerns raised about it, the difference was about 1 in 8 or 9. Which would be better than nothing, but it's no magic bullet.

Edited by Lizbie1
Added "or 9"
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

There was a recent study (done in Bangladesh) which purported to show this but even if you were to ignore the various concerns raised about it, the difference was about 1 in 8 or 9. Which would be better than nothing, but it's no magic bullet.

And last night at Sadlers Wells, only a minority appeared to be masked in both the auditorium or the foyer (and on the tube). 

Mind you, the audience demographic at SW generally seems younger than that at the ROH. 

(Hopefully, as one of the unmasked, this won’t be my ‘last post’ 😉)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DanJL said:

Although obviously that's absolutely correct that double vaccination is by far the best protection of all. Sadly that protection isn't 100% and I expect we all know of fully vaccinated people who have caught covid. So the masks add further protection against infection. 

I know of a number of double vaccinated people who have contracted Covid. Happily all of them have been singularly untroubled by it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scheherezade said:

I know of a number of double vaccinated people who have contracted Covid. Happily all of them have been singularly untroubled by it.

That's great to hear, they've been lucky. The double vaccinated people I know who've contracted it have had experiences ranging from fuzzy head and loss of taste for a few days to a much nastier couple of weeks completely wiped out. Some vaccinated people have it far worse of course. The risks of serious illness are far lower, but not impossible. And infection rates are currently incredibly high (much higher than they were during the spring / summer season). 

14 hours ago, Rob S said:

Well, this is what bugs me: what happens if there's an outbreak at a theatre?  Not among the cast, among the audience.  And where it's clear from tracing that the theatre is the source of the outbreak.  If patient A is contagious but turns up anyway, and spreads it, say, to the dozen people sitting around them?  They will all have to self-isolate, but does the theatre have to close, thereby losing valuable revenue which it really can't afford to do?  Undergo a deep clean (more expense)?  Or does it get away relatively scot free?  Those considerations must make a considerable difference to how venues are likely to react.