Visiting Stage Door/Royal Ballet Dancers post-Covid

You wouldn’t have to isolate if you’re double jabbed or under 18. I don’t think the Welsh have to isolate if they’re double jabbed even if they have a positive test. I would expect theatres are still doing a thorough clean down after the performance and there’s not much point in anything else. 

• Like 1

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Wales, we certainly have to isolate if we test positive! But not for close contact if double jabbed. 

Perhaps worth considering that with current infection rates there's almost bound to be someone with covid in the audience. (Current official estimates are 1 in 70 people in England, a decent proportion of which will be unaware of it and so not isolating.) 

• Like 1

Last night at the Theatre Royal Brighton I seemed to be in the minority in wearing a mask in the seat and in the foyer during the interval. It was very warm too and uncomfortable but I wanted to test it, couldn't see anything when I put my glasses on as they immediately fogged up in the heat!

Noticed not many people wearing them on the bus either, different from the daytime shoppers..

Not sure whether Covid passports were mandatory or not, they were checked at the entrance to the Theatre. All in all surprisingly relaxed, good or bad?

Fabulous new Matthew Bourne work by the way, on first sight one of his best, will post elsewhere.

4 hours ago, Beryl H said:

Last night at the Theatre Royal Brighton I seemed to be in the minority in wearing a mask in the seat and in the foyer during the interval. It was very warm too and uncomfortable but I wanted to test it, couldn't see anything when I put my glasses on as they immediately fogged up in the heat!

Noticed not many people wearing them on the bus either, different from the daytime shoppers..

Not sure whether Covid passports were mandatory or not, they were checked at the entrance to the Theatre. All in all surprisingly relaxed, good or bad?

Fabulous new Matthew Bourne work by the way, on first sight one of his best, will post elsewhere.

Because I'd had some fogging issues in June, I thought I vaguely remembered LinMM talking about some anti-misting wipes from the optician.  I got myself some and they really did the trick.  One application seemed to last all day when we watched class and then 2 performances last weekend.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Peony said:

You wouldn’t have to isolate if you’re double jabbed or under 18. I don’t think the Welsh have to isolate if they’re double jabbed even if they have a positive test. I would expect theatres are still doing a thorough clean down after the performance and there’s not much point in anything else. 

positive PCR  = isolate regardless  

positive LFT =  isolate until PCR 

Apologies if already noted ......ROH stage door policy....

Unfortunately, restrictions are still in place due to COVID-19 and it will not be possible to greet dancers at Stage Door as they come to and from the building.

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Apologies if already noted ......ROH stage door policy....

Unfortunately, restrictions are still in place due to COVID-19 and it will not be possible to greet dancers at Stage Door as they come to and from the building.

Such a shame for the fans and the dancers. I wonder if it will ever return, since the virus is likely to stay around. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sim said:

Such a shame for the fans and the dancers. I wonder if it will ever return, since the virus is likely to stay around. 

I agree. I remember a night, some time ago now, when a dancer made ‘their’ debut in a role in the first show after being promoted to Principal.

I’m sure there must be times when facing a crowded stage door is a bit of a challenge but, on that occasion especially, it was clear that having people waiting meant a lot - it was very much a two-way experience. And there was no way that fans would have wanted that dancer to be walking out of the ROH without a ‘salute’.

So, provided I can manage to stand in the street, I will want to do so for the upcoming debutantes especially.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I can quite see that it’s sensible and practical to prevent people congregating inside the vestibule for the Stage Door but the policy does not rule out people gathering in Floral Street so I agree with capybara.

So do I.  Looks like it will be “street meet and greet” for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 2

I just walked past the theatre after class about three hours ago and couldn’t see anything Matthew Bournish advertised. 
There’s a massive advert for Jamie the musical on over Christmas and a poster for Hairspray and one about the Dresser! 
What’s the new work called? I wish I had known it was on!!

55 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I just walked past the theatre after class about three hours ago and couldn’t see anything Matthew Bournish advertised. 
There’s a massive advert for Jamie the musical on over Christmas and a poster for Hairspray and one about the Dresser! 
What’s the new work called? I wish I had known it was on!!

The Midnight Bell, it will be at SW in about 2 week's time, I couldn't find the entrance on Thursday, there is an open air restaurant in front of the theatre, this is the problem now, you can't walk into the foyers of theatres to get any information during the day.

• Like 1

Thanks Beryl! 
I think may have actually seen that poster from a distance  ..as you say there are lots of tables and chairs out in front of the theatre ....and thought it was some ghost mystery play or something lol! I just didn’t see Matthew Bourne’s name! 
I might go and see the Dresser! 

• Like 1

One thing I will remember to take to London is a thinner face mask for inside the theatre, and use my 3-layer one for public transport! I don't think the Theatre Royal has air-conditioning, it was sweltering on Thursday and my thick mask didn't help!

I've booked to see Midnight Bell again at SW!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

For those especially concerned about covid, I see that BRB are still doing a couple of 'socially distanced' events next month (R&J).  I've eagerly snapped up tickets for the Hirata/Morales evening.

I saw that too & thought it's a great idea. Though unfortunately for me personally the 3 hours on a train that is required to get there would negate the benefit of the performance being distanced.

• Like 2

I'm not quite sure this is the right thread for this article but the thread has somewhat transmogrified from stage door to attendance in general & I can't think of a more appropriate existant thread so... https://bachtrack.com/opinion-covid-19-face-masks-audiences-london-september-2021

I found this article both interesting and, as I'm due to go to the ROH for the first time since March 2020 in 10 days' time, decidedly worrying. I may have to re-think going if the ROH ballet audiences are going to be as bad at mask wearing as the ROH opera audiences evidently are being.

26 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm not quite sure this is the right thread for this article but the thread has somewhat transmogrified from stage door to attendance in general & I can't think of a more appropriate existant thread so... https://bachtrack.com/opinion-covid-19-face-masks-audiences-london-september-2021

I found this article both interesting and, as I'm due to go to the ROH for the first time since March 2020 in 10 days' time, decidedly worrying. I may have to re-think going if the ROH ballet audiences are going to be as bad at mask wearing as the ROH opera audiences evidently are being.

A thought-provoking article and the possibility that non mask wearing might result in theatres needing to be closed again is too awful to contemplate.

Sadler's Wells this week...... Possibly 25% masked. Quite a bit of coughing near me. 

• Like 1

I don't think I'm reassuring Dawnstar by saying this, but I'd repeat that even strict mask wearing - and therefore its opposite - is unlikely to make much difference.

(For a long time it looked as if it would, but the studies undertaken seem to have produced disappointing results.)

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 1

At today’s Jenufa rehearsal I thought 80% plus of audience members were wearing masks. The reverse on the trains unfortunately with mask wearing 20% at best. The ROH’s notices and announcements are good but I’m afraid the Government’s laissez faire approach to mask wearing etc doesn’t help at all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I don't think I'm reassuring Dawnstar by saying this, but I'd repeat that even strict mask wearing - and therefore its opposite - is unlikely to make much difference.

(For a long time it looked as if it would, but the studies undertaken seem to have produced disappointing results.)

It depends on the mask.  At first, I wore one to protect other people but now I'm going to the theatre again I have bought a mask that Which says is 94% effective for the wearer too:
https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/face-masks/article/best-reusable-face-masks-awLeA3A6XoZD

It does make me feel safer, anyhow!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Aaargh!!

6 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

that is a hugely irresponsible thing to say

"Evidence suggests transmission mainly happens indoors where people are close together.

Face coverings worn over the nose and mouth reduce the spread of coronavirus droplets from coughs, sneezes and while speaking.

The main purpose is to protect others. If everyone wears one, the risks drop for all.

There is some evidence they offer protection to wearers, but are not a replacement for social distancing and hand-washing.

Masks can also help reduce virus spread from contagious people with no symptoms."

• Like 14

7 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

that is a hugely irresponsible thing to say

"Evidence suggests transmission mainly happens indoors where people are close together.

Face coverings worn over the nose and mouth reduce the spread of coronavirus droplets from coughs, sneezes and while speaking.

The main purpose is to protect others. If everyone wears one, the risks drop for all.

There is some evidence they offer protection to wearers, but are not a replacement for social distancing and hand-washing.

Masks can also help reduce virus spread from contagious people with no symptoms."

I'm still wearing them in shops and theatres and on public transport. I'm simply saying that it's not, alas, as simple as "everyone wears masks, nobody catches Covid". If you can point me to a reputable study that shows something substantially better than a 1 in 8 reduction I'd be interested to see it.

Edited by Lizbie1

51 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I'm still wearing them in shops and theatres and on public transport. I'm simply saying that it's not, alas, as simple as "everyone wears masks, nobody catches Covid". If you can point me to a reputable study that shows something substantially better than a 1 in 8 reduction I'd be interested to see it.

No one is saying it is reduced to zero transmission, but if everyone masked in an indoor area (of poor ventilation) where you can't practice social distancing (such as public transport, shops, theatres, pubs) then masks help. From what I've read, the reduction much better than 12.5%, assuming people wear them properly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7883189/

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

No one is saying it is reduced to zero transmission, but if everyone masked in an indoor area (of poor ventilation) where you can't practice social distancing (such as public transport, shops, theatres, pubs) then masks help. From what I've read, the reduction much better than 12.5%, assuming people wear them properly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7883189/

Thank you! I meant a "real world" study, but that is interesting.

I think "assuming people wear them properly" is the catch.

• Like 2