Visiting Stage Door/Royal Ballet Dancers post-Covid

5 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I believe there is a higher grade medical mask which I always forget the name of which has proved to be highly effective in hospitals in protecting wearers from people with active Covid. 
It may be useful for theatre use at least better than usual masks worn ...will look up the name. 

Maybe they could sell ROH/RB branded versions in the ROH shop 💡

• Like 2

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Anna C said:

I wore a mask to the hairdressers the other day and was the only person wearing one.  It’s as if people think COVID magically disappeared on 19th July.  

I’ll continue to wear a mask at the ROH, regardless of whether they are still mandatory or merely “encouraged”.

Covid will probably never disappear, just like the flu, and just like the common cold.  So it will be up to each individual to decide if they want to spend the rest of their lives wearing masks or not.  I notice that more and more people are not wearing them, in restaurants, supermarkets, theatres, hotels, transport, sports events, etc.  I am under the impression that people have had enough and now want to try to start living normally again inasmuch as is possible.  The majority of staff have stopped wearing them in my three local supermarkets.  I asked one of them about it and she said that the manager gave them a choice.  She said it has been so awful having to wear them for hours on end whilst on their feet that none of them want to wear them anymore.  

As for the theatres...I am sure you can leave a card and flowers at the ROH.  I left some at the end of the season, when restrictions were more draconian than they are now.   I have never understood the logic of denying ballerinas the joy of receiving their flowers onstage.  The ushers are all wearing masks and gloves...so what difference does it make if they are left by the stage door and the dancers collect them on the way out, or if they are given onstage?  I was very glad they made an exception at Beatriz Stix-Brunell's farewell...and I am sure no-one caught Covid from flowers being delivered to the stage.   

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Sim said:

As for the theatres...I am sure you can leave a card and flowers at the ROH.  I left some at the end of the season, when restrictions were more draconian than they are now.   I have never understood the logic of denying ballerinas the joy of receiving their flowers onstage.  The ushers are all wearing masks and gloves...so what difference does it make if they are left by the stage door and the dancers collect them on the way out, or if they are given onstage?  I was very glad they made an exception at Beatriz Stix-Brunell's farewell...and I am sure no-one caught Covid from flowers being delivered to the stage.   

And hasn't it long been established that surface transmission is very unlikely?

• Like 3

I've got a triple layer mask which is more comfortable, also safer, I bought it from Amazon, can't remember the exact price but a 3-pack cost about £8-£10.  

When I went into hospital in April, I was surprised that I wasn't able to wear my own good one but had to swap it  for a NHS flimsy pale blue one (the ones sold everywhere) 😏

Edited by Beryl H

I’m going along with the crowded indoor mask advice for the time being as people then start saying you are responsible for maybe killing their granny or somebody immune depressed 😱 
I had hoped that duty to others would cease where Covid is concerned once double vaxxed. As you can only protect others so far anyway But now they say the vaccine may not protect as well after 8 months or so!! Though the four people I know ( two separate couples ) who got Covid after all this time and were double vaxxed were not particularly ill just had a sort of throaty cold for about a week but felt rough for a few days. One friends husband was more ill but just spent longer in bed and now fully recovered ...as all are. 
Perhaps this is the best one can hope ...that if vaccinated and you do get it you won’t be too ill and then will have extra protection after that with lots of antibodies ....So can finally stop worrying about it!! 

54 minutes ago, Sim said:

As for the theatres...I am sure you can leave a card and flowers at the ROH.  I left some at the end of the season, when restrictions were more draconian than they are now.     

I did too and there was no problem.

I liked the way that many RB dancers then posted photos of their flowers on Instagram with a thank you.

Let’s hope that bouquets will come on stage again once the new season begins.

Years ago, I enquired whether men might receive some too (they do in several other countries) and was told it wasn’t ROH policy. I wonder how that squares with contemporary approaches to equality.

• Like 6

On 01/09/2021 at 12:51, LinMM said:

IThey are called FFP3 masks. 
They look alright but don’t know how comfortable to wear etc but you could just use for the theatre only and then revert to other masks afterwards etc 

I have a feeling they cost about £9-10. 
Apparently Boots do a version the FFP2 mask which may be worth looking into. 

From someone who has to wear an N95 (FFP 2 equivalent I believe) when seeing COVID patients, I wouldn't recommend it for comfort. It has to fit like second skin, is very hot and not for anyone who is in the least  claustrophobic. 

Looks like vaccine passports may be on the way..... Vaccine passports needed to keep venues in England open, says minister | Vaccines and immunisation | The Guardian

The ROH is already working on a program according to the small print on their website. I wonder how it will work for those of us from overseas (with our flimsy US paper cards)?

2 minutes ago, oncnp said:

From someone who has to wear an N95 (FFP 2 equivalent I believe) when seeing COVID patients, I wouldn't recommend it for comfort. It has to fit like second skin, is very hot and not for anyone who is in the least  claustrophobic. 

Looks like vaccine passports may be on the way..... Vaccine passports needed to keep venues in England open, says minister | Vaccines and immunisation | The Guardian

The ROH is already working on a program according to the small print on their website. I wonder how it will work for those of us from overseas (with our flimsy US paper cards)?

For something that is supposed to start at the end of this month, the Government's proposals still seem very vague.  Does legislation need to be passed in order to ensure enforcement/compliance? If so they are cutting it fine!

At the Bridge Theatre recently it was almost a full capacity audience of whom I’d guess maybe 30% were wearing masks. 
I’ve heard that Anything Goes at the Barbican has been full capacity and not much mask wearing. 
I’m not exempt from wearing a mask myself but I overheat horribly and my glasses steam up. So for me it’s one thing wearing one on a tube which is a means to an end but rather different when I’m sitting in a theatre for enjoyment. If masks were compulsory my theatre trips would be pretty rare. 

• Like 3

Well I hope they are not going to start saying you can’t go unless you’ve had a booster jab!! 
I may decide to get one if it’s offered but I’m not keen until at least the end of the year as my second dose was on April 27th. 
Also there’s no way I’m having flu and covid on the same day which is what they are suggesting! Nobody will persuade me to do that as my dad nearly died from the flu jab so he only had it once and I’m not keen in case I take after him though had no probs with Covid one. 
Im hoping they will allow some time for the booster roll out to take place so Theatres won’t be demanding that until after Xmas at least. 
Sorry this has gone a bit medical but even though I’ve been jabbed I’m not keen on the passport idea as you will end up not being able to do anything without this or that being up to date. A sort of Health tyranny. 

• Like 1

It would seem a bit strange to make a vaccine 'passport' compulsory since that hasn't been stated as a requirement when booking tickets. I'm double jabbed and could easily prove that, but how could you make it a requirement retrospectively?

• Like 3

Although I can't see a similar clause on the ROH website the Albert Hall has this on their's The Royal Albert Hall may introduce additional safety measures for customers and staff attending performances in accordance with Government guidelines and/or our own risk assessment of the events. If measures are introduced, you will be informed by email as soon as possible. All attendees will be required to comply with these measures.

That would seem to suggest that if you bought tickets when vaccine passports were not required it doesn't mean you can show up without one if a requirement is brought in next week, for example.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Although I can't see a similar clause on the ROH website the Albert Hall has this on their's The Royal Albert Hall may introduce additional safety measures for customers and staff attending performances in accordance with Government guidelines and/or our own risk assessment of the events. If measures are introduced, you will be informed by email as soon as possible. All attendees will be required to comply with these measures.

That would seem to suggest that if you bought tickets when vaccine passports were not required it doesn't mean you can show up without one if a requirement is brought in next week, for example.

Longer-term, we are considering further measures to ensure everyone's safety. This may include introducing a COVID certification system. We are awaiting further government guidance on this. We will let our audiences know as soon as possible via email and via our website if our policy changes.

Visit us (roh.org.uk)

7 hours ago, LinMM said:

Sorry this has gone a bit medical but even though I’ve been jabbed I’m not keen on the passport idea as you will end up not being able to do anything without this or that being up to date. A sort of Health tyranny. 

And I can imagine there would be a possibility of legal action for disability discrimination by people who have e.g. Guillain-Barré Syndrome, which I understand makes you ineligible for the vaccine.

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

You already need to prove vaccination or a negative test to attend an event at the Albert Hall (and most theatres in London too).

• Like 1

On 31/08/2021 at 15:27, Jan McNulty said:

In Alex Campbell's last few days with BRB a friend and I had gone to Dublin to see the company performing Coppelia.  We had split up while she went to find a cash machine and I sat on a bench near the theatre.  Alex saw me and came over and sat chatting to me for ages.  Pre-Covid my friends and I have had Northern Ballet dancers going  out of their way to come over and say hello to us and the same with some BRB dancers too.  None of them have any need to do that.  Oh yes and the first time I got persuaded to go to the ROH stage door to see Alex, Isabella (whom we had known from NB) saw me and came over to say hello.

I think dancers genuinely appreciate fans.  If they are in a hurry and/or tired all they have to do is say so and that is fine.

always fun   when  Northern  Dancers make an effort to see people they know 

( i think you  were present  at one such occurence involving some other forum members   and Kenny Tindall )

• Like 1

I haven’t got the NHS App does anybody know how you prove you are vaccinated apart from that little blue and White card thingy you got with AstraZeneca jab?
Do you have to ask your GP to write a letter 🤔 

I’m thinking of the Albert Hall visit I have on December 1st ....want to be prepared in plenty of time lol! 
I would have no idea how you could prove it was you who had taken a lateral

flow test. Somebody I know who has to take them regularly for her job says you don’t have to photograph the result even....you just have to put in that your test was negative and you get an email or text back confirming you are negative. So a lot of this is based on trust I think.  Presumably it must be linked to your NHS number but all a bit precarious. 
When I looked up loads of theatres policies on Covid a few days back nearly all the ones requiring vaccine certification also said OR a negative test so they must realise not everybody can have the vaccine. 
Quite a few just strongly advised mask wearing while at the theatre and that was all... the Colisseum and Sadlers come under that policy. 

I’m afraid that in the absence of any/much ballet, I haven’t been following the Forum as often as I did formerly but I’ve now (re)started doing so.

I seem to have missed the post about the little blue shields which now appear against some of your names. 

Perhaps someone could tell me the significance of these 😀

Edited by RobR

34 minutes ago, RobR said:

I’m afraid that in the absence of any/much ballet, I haven’t been following the Forum as often as I did formerly but I’ve now (re)started doing so.

We've been around all the time, ably supported by various members who have posted useful things.  You mean you've missed all the streamings we put in the Community Calendar for you? :( 

• Like 1

Thanks Alison,

I've taken it to the 'About' forum.

Apropos the streamings, I did my best at the outset of the first lockdown. I watched what I could, I dug out old dvds and even joined Marquee tv, but it wasn’t real and I also missed my chums in the Floral Hall, so ……

9 hours ago, LinMM said:

I haven’t got the NHS App does anybody know how you prove you are vaccinated apart from that little blue and White card thingy you got with AstraZeneca jab?

I’m thinking of the Albert Hall visit I have on December 1st ....want to be prepared in plenty of time lol! 

flow test. Somebody I know who has to take them regularly for her job says you don’t have to photograph the result even....you just have to put in that your test was negative and you get an email or text back confirming you are negative. So a lot of this is based on trust I think.  Presumably it must be linked to your NHS number but all a bit precarious. 
When I looked up loads of theatres policies on Covid a few days back nearly all the ones requiring vaccine certification also said OR a negative test so they must realise not everybody can have the vaccine. 
Quite a few just strongly advised mask wearing while at the theatre and that was all... the Colisseum and Sadlers come under that policy. 

it's not the Covid tracker -  the NHS  app that gives you access to  various  things to do with your GP , if you have a  reasonably modern smart phone  i'd  recommend it  for things like getting your repeat  prescriptions , any test results  andother  Correspondance  that  you might not have recieved your own copy of ..  

apparently  GP practices do have a proforma  for peopel who want / need  paper proof of  Covid vaccination 

if your GP practice has fully  enabled it you might also be able to book appointments  via the app  ( as  you can do with the systmone  web page  if your GP is one of the many who use Systmone)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Beryl H said:

I applied online via the above NHS website and the A4 letter version arrived within 5 days, it states the details and dates of the 2 vaccinations, there is no expiry date. 

Yes, this is the easiest way to show your vaccination status if you can’t/don’t want to use the NHS app (which is *not* the track and trace app).  The blue cards given at the vaccination centres don’t count as proof for travel, so I suspect they won’t count at places where the “vaccine passport” is required.

@alison to answer your question about people unable to be vaccinated, how it works in France is that if you are not fully vaccinated, you must take a rapid antigen test within 48 hours of your visit to the theatre/museum/cinema etc.  The test result is automatically uploaded to the “Tous Anti Covid” app which produces a QR code that is scanned at the venue.   The test has to be done by a Doctor, Nurse, or at a Pharmacy (you don’t need an appointment at the latter), is free for French residents with a social security card, or is a fixed price of €25 for non-residents.  

France is obviously much stricter than the UK though so I would guess that with an official statement of exemption from the vaccine, someone unable to be vaccinated could probably still attend the theatre here.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2021 at 14:36, LinMM said:

For entry to venues/ travel you’re not  meant to use the government tests, I think you have to obtain a private test and they have different methods of reporting and verifying. Have heard of sending a picture/ doing them at the venue so the actual method may vary. 
the government ones are just for surveillance and they were phasing them out for the general public although I’m not sure whether that will happen or not now