Visiting Stage Door/Royal Ballet Dancers post-Covid

Not sure what this topic would come under, so admins please feel free to move where necessary!

Would anyone happen to know if visiting the Stage Door after performances would be allowed this season? (I'd have my mask on and would definitely try to social distance and sanitise hands, etc) I usually did so, before Covid hit of course, the last time I went was to see Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball in Sleeping Beauty in Nov 2019 (feels like ages ago!) 

Perhaps it may be best to email ROH? 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's a good idea - yet.

With the delta variant somewhat rampaging through the population at the moment, I imagine the dancers won't want to iterract with anyone they don't know, especially as they won't know the covid status of people saying hello at the stage door (remembering that you can be infectious but asymptomatic if you're infected, even after 2 vaccinations). Tempting as it is to try and say hello to them after a show, it's probably better to just let them slip away for now, as any positive test that may result from such interractions will be hugely disruptive

• Like 11

Yes, Sadler's is at a bit of a disadvantage in that respect, as the cafe entrance is effectively at the stage door, and of course it needs the income from that (and of course dancers and audience members do usually eat there).  But it says in relation to Singin' in the Rain: "Due to Covid-19 and to protect both the public and the company, the performers from Singin’ in the Rain will not be signing autographs or stopping for photographs at stage door after performances. Thank you for your understanding."  I don't know whether the situation differs according to what show is on.

In all the times I have attended performances (must be hundreds!) I have never gone to the stage door as I always feel the dancers/actors must be fairly exhausted and anxious to get home.  Do they actually enjoy people gathering to speak to them, during non-covid times?  Maybe they are happy that people care enough to greet them.  Just musing....

13 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

In all the times I have attended performances (must be hundreds!) I have never gone to the stage door as I always feel the dancers/actors must be fairly exhausted and anxious to get home.  Do they actually enjoy people gathering to speak to them, during non-covid times?  Maybe they are happy that people care enough to greet them.  Just musing....

I don't go to the stage door very often but I have always found the dancers gracious and happy to see fans.  At the very least, if they are in a rush, they are polite when they say they haven't time (I'm talking about any theatre here and not specifically ROH).

• Like 6

I agree with Jan.  I would say, at the RB, that about 98% of dancers are very happy to stop and chat, sign autographs and pose for photos.  Even if they are tired, they really appreciate that often fans have to wait between 30-60 minutes to see them when it is often already late.  I know one RB dancer always calls the stage door from her dressing room to see if people are waiting, and if so she comes straight up so they don't have to wait for too long.  She is especially concerned for people who might have children with them.  On the other hand, I know of one ex-dancer who always used to leave by another door so that he wouldn't have to encounter fans...but this is an exception.  The less senior dancers in particular love it when someone waits for them and asks for a photo and/or autograph.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I don't go to the stage door very often but I have always found the dancers gracious and happy to see fans.  At the very least, if they are in a rush, they are polite when they say they haven't time (I'm talking about any theatre here and not specifically ROH).

I'm sure they would be 'gracious' and 'polite' but they are actors and I wonder if they don't secretly wish they could get home to rest!  But I don't know any dancers personally so I might be wrong.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I'm sure they would be 'gracious' and 'polite' but they are actors and I wonder if they don't secretly wish they could get home to rest!  But I don't know any dancers personally so I might be wrong.

In Alex Campbell's last few days with BRB a friend and I had gone to Dublin to see the company performing Coppelia.  We had split up while she went to find a cash machine and I sat on a bench near the theatre.  Alex saw me and came over and sat chatting to me for ages.  Pre-Covid my friends and I have had Northern Ballet dancers going  out of their way to come over and say hello to us and the same with some BRB dancers too.  None of them have any need to do that.  Oh yes and the first time I got persuaded to go to the ROH stage door to see Alex, Isabella (whom we had known from NB) saw me and came over to say hello.

I think dancers genuinely appreciate fans.  If they are in a hurry and/or tired all they have to do is say so and that is fine.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I think dancers genuinely appreciate fans.  If they are in a hurry and/or tired all they have to do is say so and that is fine.

I think that if they are feeling particularly tired, or feel they didn't have a good show so not up to fan discussions, or whatever, they can always slip out of a different exit from the stage door. And you can't blame the for that - I feel it is better to slip away unnoticed, than to ill humouredly barge through the crowds claiming tiredness or 'in a hurry', which is disappointing to waiting fans. Saying that, I can't think of any that would actually do that, bless 'em! 🙂

• Like 4

One of the reasons why quite a lot of RB dancers go out of the exit into Bow Street is that it’s nearer to their transport routes.

There are several Principals and soloists who have said - very genuinely - that they enjoy the stage door experience. One or two happily initiate conversation, as Jan has already intimated.

If audience members are not allowed inside, no doubt they will gather in the street.

• Like 3

I've been to the stage door on exactly two occasions, on both of which I was accompanying a small child.

I think it's a lovely tradition and would be sad to see it decline for whatever reason, but from my (limited!) observation there's no doubt that some people will push the boundaries - buttonholing dancers for quite a long time and being, well, more than a bit weird. The dancers were never less than polite about it, but it was clear to others that their patience was strained.

It's something I slightly worry about, but I don't know what the answer is.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

It's something I slightly worry about, but I don't know what the answer is.

I think that this problem has been discussed on the forum previously. There is, indeed, weird behaviour. I have intervened on occasion to break up 'hogging', undue invasion of a dancer's personal space and people having several 'goes' at selfies (i.e. re-joining the queue when one opportunity is quite enough).

Unfortunately for them, there are certain dancers who, through no fault of their own, seem to attract this kind of behaviour more than others. Perhaps other forum members would care to 'call it out' if they see anything unacceptable happening.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

I think that if they are feeling particularly tired, or feel they didn't have a good show so not up to fan discussions, or whatever, they can always slip out of a different exit from the stage door. And you can't blame the for that - I feel it is better to slip away unnoticed, than to ill humouredly barge through the crowds claiming tiredness or 'in a hurry', which is disappointing to waiting fans. Saying that, I can't think of any that would actually do that, bless 'em! 🙂

Conversely (and respectfully)...why? Why should a performer have to go one step out of their way leaving their own front door?  Why do "fans" think they are entitled to a performers time?  If they want to stop and chat, bless them. If they just want to go home they should do without explanation or apology. 

23 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Conversely (and respectfully)...why? Why should a performer have to go one step out of their way leaving their own front door?  Why do "fans" think they are entitled to a performers time?  If they want to stop and chat, bless them. If they just want to go home they should do without explanation or apology. 

simply to avoid 'confrontation' (for want of a better word). I think most people in that sort of situation would feel they would need to offer a polite explanation of why they just want to leave. And if they can slip away unnoticed, it saves them the 'hassle'. Which I don't blame them at all. There again, as others have said, many dancers enjoy the 'fuss', and knowing that people have made the effort to say hello and that they enjoyed the performance etc.

• Like 4

Exactly.  If they know that people have been waiting, sometimes for up to an hour, to say hello, it would come across as rude not to do so (even if it is not meant that way),  leaving fans disappointed.   Much easier to leave by another door and quietly wend their way.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sim said:

Exactly.  If they know that people have been waiting, sometimes for up to an hour, to say hello, it would come across as rude not to do so (even if it is not meant that way),  leaving fans disappointed.   Much easier to leave by another door and quietly wend their way.  

I see your point but why is the onus on the performer? Aren't those fans waiting of their own volition, knowing that the performer may not come out or may not want to stop? 

I clearly don't qualify as a fan 😀. Here's the previous discussion......

Edited by oncnp

Never mind the stage door lol what about theatres themselves from the Autumn. 
I have first visit to the theatre next week to see Ukrainian Ballet on Tuesday at Sadlers Wells. 
Ive not been told of any requirements other than masks but am not sure if these are absolutely obligatory in the theatre🤔

Im double vaxxed etc and to be honest have never been overly nervous about it all ....but ...as there’s no social distancing now am assuming people will have to wear masks to attend...no exemptions! 
Ive been prepared to take a few risks since double vaccinated .....(it’s been showing in very recent research that you are 50 percent less likely to transmit the virus if vaccinated..) I’ve been attending well regulated ballet and yoga classes in very well ventilated rooms and meeting up with friends etc but people in these groups I know well are mostly vaccinated now but I have suddenly started worrying I could be sitting very close to a non vaccinated person who is not wearing a mask 😱

Its the stationary aspect of a couple of hours sitting closely next to somebody which worries me more as it’s the most likely way the virus is passed on rather than brief or fleeting meetings.....everybody I know (and that’s less than 12) who has had Covid ....including four people already double vaxxed 😳 caught it from family members they were living with or staying with!! So had lots of close contact (Luckily none were very ill with it) 
Im not going to suddenly make a dramatic exit from the theatre if it should happen but just wondered what the rules would be as had thought evidence of a negative covid test might be required by the Autumn for theatre visits but obviously not. 

Yes that’s the problem!! 
it’s just an encouragement! 
Wasn't the ROH stricter about this? 
I thought you couldn’t attend at ROH without a mask? Mind you I’ve only been once since Covid arrived and it was still in social distancing era. 

18 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Wasn't the ROH stricter about this? 
I thought you couldn’t attend at ROH without a mask?

They make announcements prior to the performance, an usher may pop round and ask a group of people to put masks on but don’t do anything about people who pretend not to hear them…or take them off as soon as the lights go down

2 hours ago, capybara said:

When I went to Singin' in the Rain at the beginning of August, there were far too few audience members wearing masks for my liking.

I wore a mask to the hairdressers the other day and was the only person wearing one.  It’s as if people think COVID magically disappeared on 19th July.  

I’ll continue to wear a mask at the ROH, regardless of whether they are still mandatory or merely “encouraged”.

• Like 1

Well I did think the advice was masks to be warn in “indoor crowded places”  ( which theatres at full tilt would be) even after July 19th. I’m no fan of masks but always wear one on transport ....again could be sitting next to somebody for over half an hour or more.....and in shops ....though I’m not that worried in shops because you are moving around a lot. And of course any indoor crowded spaces like a theatre now will be. 
Just have to hope for the best then. 
Last time I was at the Wells pre pandemic the couple next to me brought red wine to their seats ( so of course can’t wear a mask while drinking) I had to ask the lady to move it away from my foot as was worried about knocking it over and she replied oh don’t worry I can just go and get another one 🙄 

I think theatres are now taking the approach you go at your own risk. 

My hairdresser insists on masks being worn by all by the way. If you’ve been going to the same one for years you usually feel that respect for them anyway. 
Sorry this has gone a bit off topic about stage door. I wouldn’t do so just at the moment anyway unless you may know a particular dancer really well so the relationship is that much more personal. But not being able to leave a card seems a bit over the top to me. 

Edited by LinMM

At my recent visits to Sadlers Wells and other theatres I have asked if masks are mandatory. The response, from masked staff unless exempt, has been “We would prefer you to wear a mask throughout your visit but we cannot insist that you do so. It’s up to you.” 
At the Proms, the Savoy Theatre and the Palladium this weekI have had to show my Covid passport. The advice is still that masks are recommended however my observation has been that the majority of the audience don’t wear them much of the time.  It did strike me as curious yesterday that 18 months into this pandemic, I am not aware of a mask being produced that will protect an individual from those choosing not to wear them.

In conclusion I’d suggest that you prepare yourself mentally and go along expecting people not to wear masks and if they do wear them it’ll be a bonus. 

Edited by prs59
To add conclusion
  • Like 1

I believe there is a higher grade medical mask which I always forget the name of which has proved to be highly effective in hospitals in protecting wearers from people with active Covid. 
It may be useful for theatre use at least better than usual masks worn ...will look up the name. 
They are called FFP3 masks. 
They look alright but don’t know how comfortable to wear etc but you could just use for the theatre only and then revert to other masks afterwards etc 

I have a feeling they cost about £9-10. 
Apparently Boots do a version the FFP2 mask which may be worth looking into. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3