ROYAL BALLET PROMOTIONS 2021

From Instagram just now:

We're delighted to announce promotions for The Royal Ballet’s 2020/21 Season and the forthcoming 2021/22 Season! 

@fumikaneko_ and @cesarcorrales926 are promoted to Principal with immediate effect and @maymagriofficial and @annaroseosullivan are promoted to Principal with effect from September 2021.

@meaghangrace890, @nicol.edmonds and @calvin_richardson have been promoted to First Soloist with immediate effect.

@ginastormjensen and @joseph.sissens have been promoted to Soloist with immediate effect.

@leticiadias_, @marikosasaki448 and @harrychurches have been promoted to First Artist with immediate effect.

Head to the link in bio to read the full announcement.

A huge congratulations to all these dancers!

Edited by capybara
  • Like 17

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to all of them! This news affected me more than I expected (in a good way)! 

Honestly, I am surprised to not see Bracewell among the new principals. 

Still, very happy for all this amazing dancers, so well deserved! 

Bravi 

Edited by Chiari
Grammar mistakes
  • Like 5

I was in such a hurry and so excited to post the news hot off Instagram that I didn't express my congratulations to all the promotees. So richly deserved.

Thrilled for them - and what a way to kick off the short spring/summer season. 💥🌺☺️🔥😍

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Chiari said:

Congratulations to all of them! This news affected me more than I expected (in a good way)! 

Honestly, I am surprised to not see Bracewell among the new principals. 

Still, very happy for all this amazing dancers, so well deserved! 

Bravi 

I have to say I was totally surprised that William Bracewell hadn't been promoted  - such a beautiful lyrical dancer with gorgeous lines. Big oversight!

• Like 10

Wow...three female promotions to Principal at the same time.  I wonder if that has ever happened before?  I am so thrilled that the RB has made any promotions at all after such a disastrous year, wherein there was virtually no dancing, and what there was, was virtual.  I am quite surprised that Mayara Magri is being promoted as she hasn't danced any of the classical roles yet (although she has done Kitri and Swanilda), nor the MacMillan 'big three', nor an Ashton lead.  Like others, I thought that her time would come in a year or two after more experience of principal roles....I have never had any doubt that this is where she would end up.   Having said this, I am happy for her.  This is a real nod to the future and it's great to see.  Very pleased with the other promotions (with one exception), but sorry not to see David Donnelly move up, nor William Bracewell.  

Many congratulations to all.

• Like 13

Just spotted that Fumi is a Principal immediately and Anna Rose and Mayara will be for the new season.

I wonder if three new female Principals means we'll be saying farewell to an existing one at the end of this season!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sim said:

Wow...three female promotions to Principal at the same time.  I wonder if that has ever happened before?  I am so thrilled that the RB has made any promotions at all after such a disastrous year, wherein there was virtually no dancing, and what there was, was virtual.  I am quite surprised that Mayara Magri is being promoted as she hasn't danced any of the classical roles yet, nor the MacMillan 'big three', nor an Ashton lead.  Like others, I thought that her time would come in a year or two after more experience of principal roles.  Having said this, I am happy for her.  This is a real nod to the future and it's great to see.  Very pleased with the other promotions (with one exception), but sorry not to see David Donnelly move up.  

Many congratulations to all.

Although they are not at the same time ... Fumi is now (and therefore a delayed promotion that probably should have happened September 2020), Mayara and AnnaRose promotions are next season.  Mayara has done Coppelia and should have done Swan Lake (which is a biggie) if not for the pandemic.  

I am assuming all these promotions, except Mayara and AR, are actually ones that would have been announced for 20/21 season.  So these others are all catch-ups for what should have been.

Wow - that's amazing! Many congratulations to all of them. I wouldn't necessarily have made all the same choices but I'm delighted with most of them (and I'm not director of the Royal Ballet...).

Being a glass half empty type of person, I just hope that doesn't mean that any of the current female principals are leaving either now or in September.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Wow - that's amazing! Many congratulations to all of them. I wouldn't necessarily have made all the same choices but I'm delighted with most of them (and I'm not director of the Royal Ballet...).

Being a glass half empty type of person, I just hope that doesn't mean that any of the current female principals are leaving either now or in September.

There’s a sadly valedictory tone to the Ballet Association interview with Laura Morera, and a sense of real hurt too, whilst Sarah Lamb isn’t appearing during the Summer season, although I understand she is scheduled to be dancing elsewhere. 

Also surprised re Bracewell and even more so re Clarke, as although he has had a recent promotion, he has danced more of the principal roles in the Classics with the Royal Ballet than Corrales, although I would imagine that a speedy promotion was part of his starting as a First Soloist having been a Principal at ENB agreement.

However, congratulations to all, and particularly pleased re Fumi Kaneko, Nicol Edmonds and Joseph Sissens.

• Like 8

So very pleased about these announcements for all concerned throughout the Company ...all absolutely deserved and some private glee for one or two favourites on the lists especially Fumi Kaneko. 

• Like 1

Wonderful news !

But I  just wonder why you have a forum !   you are so keen to avoid discussions or what you call suppositions, it's really quite difficult to understand 😀

• Like 4

We don't avoid discussions.  We just try to avoid talk about things that may or may not have happened in a dancer's personal or professional life, unless it is clearly stated in the public domain. Litigation is very easy, and people are quick to use it these days if any potential libel is knowingly allowed to remain on a public forum.  We know this from experience, so we have to be super cautious.  Moderators spend a lot of our time trying to navigate this balance between discussion and supposition/speculation/inaccuracies, and we have to err on the side of caution for the reasons mentioned above.  You may also wish to note that much of the time when we hide a post or comment on it it is because we have had a report or a comment or a complaint from a forum member.

Maybe it's not so difficult to understand now.

• Like 2

I’m quite surprised at some of the promotions, to be perfectly honest - and I’m sad for Bracewell, Clarke and Stix-Brunell, all of whom deserved promotion in my humble opinion (and agreed, Sim; David Donelly is terrific).

Very many congratulations to all; I’m absolutely delighted for Fumi Kaneko in particular but also for O’Sullivan, Hinkis, Edmonds and Leticia Dias - all dancers I very much enjoy watching. 

• Like 12

Whilst I am happy for all those people who got promotions on a personal level. I can't help but feel on a company level some of them aren't right and it is further evidence of less talented pool of dancers coming through. The gulf in class and ability between those classes as 'principals' in my opinion (feel free to debate) is huge and the rank is losing some of the lustre.

I appreciate people will have their personal favourites but ROH have struggled to find and develop the hugely talented young principals who burst on to the scene at a young age and gain principal status and then what might awfully be considered 'superstar' status. There hasn't really been a Nunez, Cojocaru or Polunin for some time. I don't see where it is coming from in the future either. 

Whilst RoH has covered this with solid recruitment (for example Muntagirov and Ospiova), much of the internal promotions have been solid rather than spectacular. Few people are rushing to grab tickets to see them perform the principal roles and whilst I have enjoyed O'Sullivan - little sets Magri apart from many of the other First Soloists in my opinion as a Member of CG and a paying spectator, regardless of what internally RoH think.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

Whilst I am happy for all those people who got promotions on a personal level. I can't help but feel on a company level some of them aren't right and it is further evidence of less talented pool of dancers coming through. The gulf in class and ability between those classes as 'principals' in my opinion (feel free to debate) is huge and the rank is losing some of the lustre.

I appreciate people will have their personal favourites but ROH have struggled to find and develop the hugely talented young principals who burst on to the scene at a young age and gain principal status and then what might awfully be considered 'superstar' status. There hasn't really been a Nunez, Cojocaru or Polunin for some time. I don't see where it is coming from in the future either. 

Whilst RoH has covered this with solid recruitment (for example Muntagirov and Ospiova), much of the internal promotions have been solid rather than spectacular. Few people are rushing to grab tickets to see them perform the principal roles and whilst I have enjoyed O'Sullivan - little sets Magri apart from many of the other First Soloists in my opinion as a Member of CG and a paying spectator, regardless of what internally RoH think.

Whilst I agree with the premise that there are wide variations of all kinds at the Principal rank, that is possibly one of the key strengths of the RB. 
And, actually, I am one of those who does book to see the dancers who have just been promoted.

• Like 5

Guest oncnp
20 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

.... ROH have struggled to find and develop the hugely talented young principals who burst on to the scene at a young age and gain principal status and then what might awfully be considered 'superstar' status. There hasn't really been a Nunez, Cojocaru or Polunin for some time. I don't see where it is coming from in the future either. 

Interesting you mention Cojocaru & Polunin - both of whom left the company acrimoniously as I recall. Perhaps the ROH is selecting for talented people who can and are willing to work within the ROH system, which may not be for everyone? 

Surprised but pleased to see Kaneko, Magri & O'Sullivan all getting promoted. I really thought it would be an either/or, not all 3 almost at once. Unsurprised & pleased about Corrales. Since seeing him doing the lead Hungarian Officer in Mayerling he looked like he was heading for Principal on sheer stage presence & charisma. Further down the ranks, I'm particularly pleased to see Gina Storm-Jensen & Leticia Dias getting promotions.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Interesting you mention Cojocaru & Polunin - both of whom left the company acrimoniously as I recall. Perhaps the ROH is selecting for talented people who can and are willing to work within the ROH system, which may not be for everyone? 

Polunin was 20, Cojocaru was 20, Nunez was 20 (or there about) - all are undoubted stars. Polunin has gone off the rails a bit yes. Cojocaru was frankly underused in the RB recognised as one of the best dancers yet not a single full length creation by the RB on her. Nunez thankfully is still glorious at the RB (although no full length creation either I don't think). Who are the precocious talents coming through? May Magri is 26/27 and has yet to conquer the major roles. Hayward is probably the closest recent promotion and hopefully she will keep on developing. 

I’M SOOOO HAPPY FOR MAYARA! 

BUT also Fumi and Anna, all 3 were my bets to be promoted together actually and it happened! 

I’m surprised for Corrales not gonna lie. I did expect to see as principal eventually but didn’t know when. I’m happy for him though! 

For those sad, I think Clarke and Bracewell will be promoted as well but they didn’t want to have six dancers promoted to principals at once. That’s my guess. 

I feel for Hay because I love all his performances I’ve seen. I remember watching him in Mayerling and just thinking how wonderful he is. 

Grace, Richardson, Sissens and Dias are not surprised in my mind at all and I’m very happy for them.

In all, I wanna congratulate everyone that was promoted!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

Polunin was 20, Cojocaru was 20, Nunez was 20 (or there about) - all are undoubted stars. Polunin has gone off the rails a bit yes. Cojocaru was frankly underused in the RB recognised as one of the best dancers yet not a single full length creation by the RB on her. Nunez thankfully is still glorious at the RB (although no full length creation either I don't think). Who are the precocious talents coming through? May Magri is 26/27 and has yet to conquer the major roles. Hayward is probably the closest recent promotion and hopefully she will keep on developing. 

To me Fumi’s best season was her last one and I believe she was 29 then. In my opinion Mayara was supposed to have hers, kicking off with Swan Lake, when the pandemic happened. I have talked about this elsewhere but I think ballet has a serious problem with profiling that keeps certain dancers performing certain roles and not others. Gonna give as an example Morera and how long it took for her to dance Giselle. Other dancers I think this has happened to are Magri and Calvert ( Heap too to a certain extent ). I hope my point about “profiling” is understood as english is not my first language.

I also hope that with the promotion Magri can now lobby for roles that I know from interviews that she wishes to be given the chance to perform.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

I have  reservations about some of these promotions as well, although I do not regard all your better known "stars"  as  standing out, to the extent you suggest, from some of  the other extremely talented top and developing dancers at the RB. But we all have our favourites!

• Like 4

Maybe the RB’s past experiences with “superstars” has led them to wanting to create a true company ethos from within, and foster its own talent. Many of their principal dancers are world class and in demand as guests in many countries.  At least they were, before the pandemic. 

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, Sim said:

Maybe the RB’s past experiences with “superstars” has led them to wanting to create a true company ethos from within, and foster its own talent. Many of their principal dancers are world class and in demand as guests in many countries.  At least they were, before the pandemic. 

Yes that is such a good point  about company ethos Sim. Surely it is crucial to the standard of the overall performances, and audience enjoyment. There certainly does seem to be a tremendous spirit and respect between all the current dancers, going by what one gleans from social media and various interviews. It is part of what makes following the Company, and the careers of the dancers, so rewarding.

• Like 8