ROYAL BALLET PROMOTIONS 2021

12 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Goodness, I think I presumed that David Donnelly was already a first soloist - or a soloist at any rate. It was quite a surprise to find that he is only a first artist.

I’m actually shocked to hear this.  I hope Donnelly is promoted very soon, and doesn’t fall into the group of lovely RB dancers with lots of fans but who seem to be overlooked by management.  😕

• Like 2

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So which one of these new dancers will excel in the Ashton works then? 🙂

I think Anna Rose O'Sullivan has been groomed for the highest rank since she joined the company, so that doesn't come as any surprise.  I cannot say I know too much about Fumi, although she has always struck me as a very polished, elegant dancer.  As far the others, it remains to be seen, but like others I am surprised at some of the promotions.  

It seems natural to assume that some people will be leaving, as otherwise there will be too many dancers in certain ranks to allow them all to get a fair crack at the major roles.  However, I am very sad to think that one of my favourites may not be appearing on stage when things finally get back to normal.    

• Like 2

The Mods will delete this if it counts as a speculative, but whilst I’d agree that the promotions suggest a number of imminent departures, I think these may be staggered rather than end of season to enable certain artists to leave with a properly prepared farewell performance in a favoured role.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

The Mods will delete this if it counts as a speculative, but whilst I’d agree that the promotions suggest a number of imminent departures, I think these may be staggered rather than end of season to enable certain artists to leave with a properly prepared farewell performance in a favoured role.

Let's hope that's right. Dreadful for the dancers and terribly disappointing for the rest of us if there are no farewell performances for them to say goodbye and for us to show our appreciation.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Let's hope that's right. Dreadful for the dancers and terribly disappointing for the rest of us if there are no farewell performances for them to say goodbye and for us to show our appreciation.

Exactly!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, capybara said:

Jamesrhblack - I am slightly uneasy about the content of your posts. I would much prefer that we didn't 'go there' until we have some concrete information. 

As I wrote, if the Mods are uneasy please delete...

I think final performances are just as special as debuts and would be gutted to miss out on any final performances ...whenever they should happen! 

This is quite possibly the start of a different thread...but does anyone have any notable stories of seeing a dancer's debut in a role and then seeing them perform the same role as their final performance? And how did the interpretations change?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ToThePointe said:

I think final performances are just as special as debuts and would be gutted to miss out on any final performances ...whenever they should happen! 

This is quite possibly the start of a different thread...but does anyone have any notable stories of seeing a dancer's debut in a role and then seeing them perform the same role as their final performance? And how did the interpretations change?

I think that question definitely merits a new thread, TTP...go for it!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

We had that in Australia. Principals Kevin Jackson and Andrew Killian (my favourite dancer/actor in the company over many years) did not return to the company when it returned to the stage in February this year. GUTTED not to see either with the company one last time.

Jackson now directing a new venture, Perth Youth Ballet, in his home of Western Australia.

Killian is one of the dancers working with a new collective that hopes to bring new work by Alice Topp and others to a stage later this year.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, capybara said:

Jamesrhblack - I am slightly uneasy about the content of your posts. I would much prefer that we didn't 'go there' until we have some concrete information. 

We can all express our hopes with regard to farewell performances though, can't we?  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, capybara said:

.......and, along with Teo Dubreuil and Leo Dixon, making a real impact in Golden Hour this week.

I'm disappointed Teo and David Donnelly haven't been promoted and am amazed David is only a first artist. He seems to have been doing a lot lately and I find myself looking out for him like I used to look out for Erico Montes. 

However, I'm really pleased for the dancers who have been and wish them every success.

• Like 6

On 19/05/2021 at 22:55, FionaE said:

For accuracy ... Marianela Nunez was indeed 20 when promoted to principal, both Sergei Polunin and Alina Cojocaru were 19. 

Other young age promotions are: 

Darcey Bussell - 20

Johan Kobborg - principal at Royal Danish at 22

Vadim Muntagirov - principal at ENB at 21

Cesar Corrales himself - Principal at ENB at age 21

Sylvie Guillem - etoile at 19

These kind of talents are very rare indeed.

correcting myself ... the announcement of Cesar Corrales promotion to Principal at ENB was made when he was 20, on 14 July 2017, effective from the 2017/2018 season.

https://www.ballet.org.uk/blog-detail/cesar-corrales-is-being-promoted-to-principal/

I guess he wasn’t taken on as a principal at RB when he transferred due to lack of experience?  Subsequently of course he was injured for a long time, on top of the pandemic.  Personally I can’t wait to see him performing in all sorts.  He has the dramatic range to match his virtuosity 👏👏👏

Edited by FionaE
Addition
  • Like 2

Somehow for me, length of time since graduation is more ‘helpful’ than age (because of where birthdays sit in the year). For example,

Polunin graduated at 17, I believe, and was a Principal after 2 years; Muntagirov graduated at 19 and was a Principal after 2 years. Corrales was in a Company at 16 and joined ENB days before he was 17 but he took a little longer (4 years to nearly 21) before he was made a Principal. Ball went through all the RB ranks and took 5 years to become a Principal.

But - hey - none of that matters because what we have the privilege of watching are four extraordinary and completely different dancers/artists. 
Having mentioned the men above, I must add that I was surprised to learn that Magri is to be the youngest female Principal by a couple of weeks. She seems to have been gracing the ROH stage for ages!

• Like 7

21 hours ago, capybara said:

Having mentioned the men above, I must add that I was surprised to learn that Magri is to be the youngest female Principal by a couple of weeks. She seems to have been gracing the ROH stage for ages!

She is 27.  I am surprised that Anna Rose O'Sullivan is also 27.  Where does the time go?  

• Like 4

On 18/05/2021 at 20:12, oncnp said:

Interesting you mention Cojocaru & Polunin - both of whom left the company acrimoniously as I recall. Perhaps the ROH is selecting for talented people who can and are willing to work within the ROH system, which may not be for everyone? 

Cojocaru was promoted in 2001, not yet 20, and left in 2013 at 32... more than 12 years (and in the prime) seem quite a lot in dancer career: I would not compare Cojocaru's departure to the Polunin badly managed temper tantrums of January 2012.

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
34 minutes ago, annamicro said:

Cojocaru was promoted in 2001, not yet 20, and left in 2013 at 32... more than 12 years (and in the prime) seem quite a lot in dancer career: I would not compare Cojocaru's departure to the Polunin badly managed temper tantrums of January 2012.

'Wasn't intending to compare them, as you rightly point out. But, as I see it (other equally valid opinions available) they both left because  the ROH system didn't work for them, for whatever reason. Like any other job, everyone doesn't fit everywhere or can get tired of/bored with their situation. That's when you know it's time to move on. There well may be no "fault" involved.  And why should the ROH or any company indulge a temper tantum from anyone?

Cojocaru has continued to thrive and Polunin is doing his own thing. He and the ROH seem to be doing very well without each other. Good for them.