THE ROYAL BALLET: 2021/22 season wishlist?

As an announcement is scheduled for this coming week, I am wondering what everyone is hoping to see included - and I mean personal choices, not what we think will be there for commercial or celebratory reasons etc.

Let’s stick to one ballet each and see what the balletcoforum version of the season looks like.

My top pick is Month in the Country, not just because I love it but because of the several delicious casts I can envisage.

• Like 6

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• alison changed the title to THE ROYAL BALLET: 2021/22 SEASON?
52 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Requiem please (with Romany Pajdak, and others, doing the Pie Jesu).

And a recording.  I want a recording!  Actually, I've been wanting a recording since the Acosta/Benjamin days - it's so structurally complex that I'd just love to be able to watch it through and through to work it out better.  And I would have loved to have seen Ed Watson get another go at that role too, but I guess that's not going to happen. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Yes, more uplifting Ashton please....La Fille, The Dream, Rhapsody, Meditation from Thais....favourites on disc but  none of which I have yet to see the RB perform live in full. 

You’ve cheated, Richard LH. Only one ballet allowed😉
Loving the choices so far.

• Like 4

Month in the Country would be wonderful one of my favourites! 
However Fille would be very welcome too and maybe more appropriate as have a little  Fille story! 
Im learning to play the piano with the City Lit ( via zoom at moment) and one of our last pieces for this term is the Clog Dance with some rigorous tapping on the piano included. As it was obvious this piece was new to quite a few in group I found RB’s clog dance on YouTube and posted it to Google classroom ( where we usually post our attempts at playing pieces) and think might have a few new ballet fans! 
Actually the ballet extract was very helpful with the rhythm if you don’t know this music...it’s quite tricky! 
Would be nice to say to the group guess what you can go and see the whole ballet now at the ROH! 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Month in the Country would be wonderful one of my favourites! 
However Fille would be very welcome too and maybe more appropriate as have a little  Fille story! 
Im learning to play the piano with the City Lit ( via zoom at moment) and one of our last pieces for this term is the Clog Dance with some rigorous tapping on the piano included. As it was obvious this piece was new to quite a few in group I found RB’s clog dance on YouTube and posted it to Google classroom ( where we usually post our attempts at playing pieces) and think might have a few new ballet fans! 
Actually the ballet extract was very helpful with the rhythm if you don’t know this music...it’s quite tricky! 
Would be nice to say to the group guess what you can go and see the whole ballet now at the ROH! 

Yes Fille would be great and would be my choice if  The Dream were to be slotted more appropriately into one of the earlier programmes. Apologies if that is still cheating!

Since Month in the Country, Cinderella and Giselle (all of which would be very high on my list!) have all already been ‘taken’, I’m going for La Bayadere (sorry Capybara - I know I’ve sneakily managed a few choices!! 😊)

• Like 1

I will add another vote for Requiem in an attempt to ensure that it appears on our final list. 😊 (Romany Pajdak in the Pie Jesu is a brilliant idea! Also Sarah Lamb.)

(If I had three votes - just saying 😉 - I'd add Penguin Café and Ashton's Cinderella with Muntagirov and Campbell playing against type as the Ugly Sisters. 🙂

• Like 6

3 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Won’t happen until its owner allows a redesign!

Re Cinderella - Bring back the gorgeous designs that we saw in the late-1960s recording with Sibley/Dowell! Back to greatness. If the ROH could bring back the perfect 1946 designs for Sleeping Beauty, they can return to a better Cinderella. And while we’re on the theme of older-but-better designs: How about a return to the gorgeous Les Rendezvous designs of yesteryear (light & fluffy...blue skies & gates)?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

(If I had three votes - just saying 😉 - I'd add Penguin Café and Ashton's Cinderella with Muntagirov and Campbell playing against type as the Ugly Sisters. 🙂

I think they could pull if off 🤣

I’ve just realised that I should have started this thread in the discussion section, not the information one. Sorry, but everyone’s answers are giving me a lot of pleasure. Thank you.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, capybara said:

I think they could pull if off 🤣

I’ve just realised that I should have started this thread in the discussion section, not the information one. Sorry, but everyone’s answers are giving me a lot of pleasure. Thank you.

No problem, capybara - you’ll see that I’ve moved it now. 

• Like 1

My first thought was one of the big 3 MacMillans but then I realised that crying with a face mask on would be awkward so I'd need something that doesn't move me to tears. So I guess I'd go for Winter Dreams, to get some MacMillan pdd action & emotion without tears.

• Like 1

Oh yes, that's a point: gulping through a face mask is very uncomfortable.  Okay, then I'll have to rule out Requiem, as that sent me into floods of tears the first time it came back in the new House.  Although come to think of it, it might well be appropriate.

If we're going for happy ballets, then I guess La Fille Mal Gardée.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

My first thought was one of the big 3 MacMillans but then I realised that crying with a face mask on would be awkward so I'd need something that doesn't move me to tears. So I guess I'd go for Winter Dreams, to get some MacMillan pdd action & emotion without tears.

Good thinking, Dawnstar; but I seem to remember that last time I saw Winter Dreams my eyes were very far from dry... 😭

• Like 4