ROYAL OPERA HOUSE LIVE PERFORMANCES AUTUMN 2020

Guest oncnp

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 24/10/2020 at 19:50, Blossom said:

Seats in row A came up for stalls when I was booking so assume they are using the stalls in full.

Did anyone manage to book any single tickets? I tried for this performance (to save completely spoiling my daughter by taking her a 3rd week in a row!) but couldn't, which is fine, but thought it somewhat strange that there were none in any of the areas I was looking on a number of dates.

I managed to get a single ticket in stalls for Golden Hour in ‘friends’ booking.  

Now struggling to use other single allocation in any area.  I realise singles are less economic (implies 2 empty seats to 1 paid) than pairs.  Sigh.      

8 minutes ago, FionaE said:

I managed to get a single ticket in stalls for Golden Hour in ‘friends’ booking.  

Now struggling to use other single allocation in any area.  I realise singles are less economic (implies 2 empty seats to 1 paid) than pairs.  Sigh.      

Just looking around I'm finding single stalls and stalls circle for most nights for WTGH so might be worth continuing the search as people drop seats out of their baskets. 

42 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Despite thinking tickets went on sale tomorrow 🤦🏻‍♂️ I managed to get a decent single seat for Golden Hour and Elite at 1030 this morning 

I think the limit of only 2 tickets per production, and maybe people outside London being a little reluctant to travel up to town, has made booking easier for those so inclined.

3 minutes ago, cavycapers said:

I can't see any single tickets for Elite Syncopations at all.  Does this mean that priority is now being given to those in a relationship or with a family member?  I usually attend with a friend or on my own.

maybe it’s not within your budget but there’s a Stalls Circle £65 seat for 6/11 available right now 

I tried over and over again to get a single ticket for November 10th.  I even upped the budget out of desperation.  Nothing. It seems that single people/tickets are non-existent.  I am so furious about this.  It's ridiculous.  Anyway, if anyone is looking for a 'bubble buddy' for the 10th please let me know.  And for God's sake let's get the theatre situation back to normal soon.  Everyone is losing out, everyone.

Sorry, rant over....😡

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sim said:

I tried over and over again to get a single ticket for November 10th.  I even upped the budget out of desperation.  Nothing. It seems that single people/tickets are non-existent.  I am so furious about this.  It's ridiculous.  Anyway, if anyone is looking for a 'bubble buddy' for the 10th please let me know.  And for God's sake let's get the theatre situation back to normal soon.  Everyone is losing out, everyone.

Sorry, rant over....😡

Just looked, SC C70 is available at £65 if you are very desperate 

Edited by Rob S

58 minutes ago, cavycapers said:

I can't see any single tickets for Elite Syncopations at all.  Does this mean that priority is now being given to those in a relationship or with a family member?  I usually attend with a friend or on my own.

Neither can I!  Seems that the ROH's perennial problems with booking have returned along with the live performances. You'd think they might have spent some of their down time working on the website.

8 minutes ago, loveclassics said:

Neither can I!  Seems that the ROH's perennial problems with booking have returned along with the live performances. You'd think they might have spent some of their down time working on the website.

They have....to change the system of presenting a seating plan with available places shown to the annoying method of offering you one/two seats and no proper way of giving you an alternative if you wanted the opposite side of the auditorium, for example

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 2

I think the single tickets were in short supply from the off; I too struggled - managed ok for 'Golden Hour' bill for Thurs/Fri, but could nothing for the 'Elite' bill, so bit the bullet and bought a pair of cheapies up in the back of the amphi on the 4th - one seat for each cheek, as it were! lol  (meant I could only go to one evening of course)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beryl H said:

I suppose the "science" supports it, but all the photos I've seen seem to show too much empty space, I've got a pretty awful seat for WTGH but am looking forward to taking part in this strange experience.

Having been in the ROH for two performances, it's one empty seat left between each occupied seat/pair and no empty rows (other than at the front two rows of the stalls - and even they had people at the edges for the second performance (I imagine that depends on the size of the orchestra in the pit)).  Not sure how you can keep physical distancing any other way without reducing capacity further.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Having been in the ROH for two performances, it's one empty seat left between each occupied seat/pair and no empty rows (other than at the front two rows of the stalls - and even they had people at the edges for the second performance (I imagine that depends on the size of the orchestra in the pit)).  Not sure how you can keep physical distancing any other way without reducing capacity further.

Hmm, from a social distancing point of view that doesn't sound very social distanced.  Looking at what they are doing for my local decent theatre that has started performances again, in a typical Stalls row there are three empty seats between single/pairs of available seats and in terms of rows in front or behind you are looking at a difference of two seats 

Edited by Rob S

6 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Hmm, from a social distancing point of view that doesn't sound very social distanced.  Looking at what they are doing for my local decent theatre that has started performances again, in a typical Stalls row there are three empty seats between single/pairs of available seats and in terms of rows in front or behind you are looking at a difference of two seats 

It’s “1 metre plus”, in accordance with the regulations.  

On a similar note, Wigmore Hall (where the seats are currently very sparse - 3 pairs and 2 singles every two rows) have just been given the go-ahead to just about double their current capacity, which is excellent news.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sim said:

I tried over and over again to get a single ticket for November 10th.  I even upped the budget out of desperation.  Nothing. It seems that single people/tickets are non-existent. 

I'm afraid it was obvious to me from the outset that single-bookers were likely to be excluded, or at least left with meagre pickings, for economic reasons.  That's part of the reason why I didn't expect to be returning any time soon :(

44 minutes ago, alison said:

I'm afraid it was obvious to me from the outset that single-bookers were likely to be excluded, or at least left with meagre pickings, for economic reasons.  That's part of the reason why I didn't expect to be returning any time soon :(

Let's agree to buy two next time, and whoever gets them gives the other one of them...

59 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

It’s “1 metre plus”, in accordance with the regulations. 

Is the width of a seat really over a metre? I'm glad if they can fit this many people in and stay within regulations. But personally the seat arrangement described is causing me to think twice about attending. Perhaps it's because I've been in Wales and the social distance guidance has stayed at 2 metres throughout the crisis, but that sounds very cramped compared to everything else I've experienced since March.

6 minutes ago, DanJL said:

Is the width of a seat really over a metre? I'm glad if they can fit this many people in and stay within regulations.

The way that people to the side of me regularly lean across the arm rest and invade my space with their legs, I very much doubt that my neighbours will be even a foot away.

• Like 3

I saw a photo - can't remember where - of the Amphi with a socially distanced audience, and every other row was empty and I think there were at least 2 empty seats between people. That encouraged me to book for the RB's return (though I've ended up in the Upper Slips since I dithered too long...). Maybe they've changed that, or maybe the stalls have wider seats?

3 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I saw a photo - can't remember where - of the Amphi with a socially distanced audience, and every other row was empty and I think there were at least 2 empty seats between people. That encouraged me to book for the RB's return (though I've ended up in the Upper Slips since I dithered too long...). Maybe they've changed that, or maybe the stalls have wider seats?

From the limited knowledge I can get from my booking experience in Stalls Circle today the seats I was offered for various performances for a single person were C31, C34, C67 and C70 which is a two seat gap

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bridiem said:

To be honest, I couldn't see the amphitheatre from where I was sitting but the seats in the amphitheatre are indeed closer together (they don't have arm-rests except at the end of each section of seats).

• Like 1

The box office tell me that they are running at 40% capacity and therefore must prioritise selling seats in pairs over singles.  So apparently, tough, if you are not in a relationship or don't have family to go with.  

Which does lead me on to wonder how many people are going to pretend they are family or living together?

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 2

I was just wondering if they are using the boxes at all. I think these are usually sold as a unit of 4, but you can't currently request more than 2 tickets for a performance.  I thought I got a glimpse of people in boxes on the 9th Oct livestream, but I might be mistaken about that. 

34 minutes ago, cavycapers said:

The box office tell me that they are running at 40% capacity and therefore must prioritise selling seats in pairs over singles.  So apparently, tough, if you are not in a relationship or don't have family to go with. 

Yep.  Or alternatively if your other half doesn't actually like ballet/opera, or is unable to travel, or ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

On a similar note, Wigmore Hall (where the seats are currently very sparse - 3 pairs and 2 singles every two rows) have just been given the go-ahead to just about double their current capacity, which is excellent news.

So pleased to see some common sense prevail.  May other theatres pay attention and help us to help them.