ROYAL OPERA HOUSE LIVE PERFORMANCES AUTUMN 2020

Guest oncnp

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lynette H said:

I was just wondering if they are using the boxes at all. I think these are usually sold as a unit of 4, but you can't currently request more than 2 tickets for a performance.  I thought I got a glimpse of people in boxes on the 9th Oct livestream, but I might be mistaken about that. 

yes the boxes are in use (not sure I saw anyone in the royal box though).

I just wish we could all have seen the layout  when we booked; but I guess it was too difficult to re-configure the plan for social distancing.

I have ended up with seats which lead me to think that pattern for each performance may be slightly different since I have #22 for one show and #23 for another. Expecting to experience problems on the night! 

• Like 3

Perhaps they will develop a more dynamic seating plan in time. Whilst prioritising pairs makes sense in one respect, they would presumably maximise capacity even more by offering some family groups. Perhaps that could offset the provision of more single seats!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, capybara said:

I just wish we could all have seen the layout  when we booked; but I guess it was too difficult to re-configure the plan for social distancing.

I have ended up with seats which lead me to think that pattern for each performance may be slightly different since I have #22 for one show and #23 for another. Expecting to experience problems on the night! 

Are they switching seat numbers to allow any potential virus to die over 48 hours rather than 24?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Are they switching seat numbers to allow any potential virus to die over 48 hours rather than 24?

The risk assessment document states

"All front house spaces, including auditorium, have been fogged, it leaves a thin layer of antiviral products on soft furniture."

This is hopefully done before every performance.  

1 hour ago, Peony said:

Does your tier depend on your home address or your geographical location at the time? (Sorry to ask I know everyone is fed up of the whole thing!)

Wish I knew! I was told that the rules for the tier you lived in you must be adhered to if you go to another tier. i I can see the point if you go from tier 2 to tier1, but not the reverse. I think travelling between tiers for non essential purposes is discouraged anyway. I may, of course, have got it totally wrong - who knows!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peony said:

Perhaps they will develop a more dynamic seating plan in time. Whilst prioritising pairs makes sense in one respect, they would presumably maximise capacity even more by offering some family groups. Perhaps that could offset the provision of more single seats!

I hope so - I got a phone call mid afternoon to inform me that the best seat I managed to nab was double booked, so they were offering to reseat me (in the same row, but slightly less central). Wasn't worth any hassle to refuse - though I did think half an hour later perhaps I should have negociated a better seat for the other performance I managed to get as a trade off! 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Wish I knew! I was told that the rules for the tier you lived in you must be adhered to if you go to another tier. i I can see the point if you go from tier 2 to tier1, but not the reverse. I think travelling between tiers for non essential purposes is discouraged anyway. I may, of course, have got it totally wrong - who knows!

I saw this the other day on that subject:

I don't know what her source is for this but I don't imagine she made it up and it is logical.

• Like 1

If you’re travelling to a lower tier I’ve seen that advice. I haven’t seen any specific advice if you are travelling from a lower to higher tier, as theoretically you would be less of a risk than those living in the area. I was wondering whether it is allowed to travel with a friend to a performance but I guess the answer is no if the location is in tier 2!

I

25 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I saw this the other day on that subject:

I don't know what her source is for this but I don't imagine she made it up and it is logical.

I've seen that written down somewhere Lizbie.

The nearest I can come to what I have read is in this government page:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/local-covid-alert-levels-what-you-need-to-know

3 minutes ago, Peony said:

If you’re travelling to a lower tier I’ve seen that advice. I haven’t seen any specific advice if you are travelling from a lower to higher tier, as theoretically you would be less of a risk than those living in the area. I was wondering whether it is allowed to travel with a friend to a performance but I guess the answer is no if the location is in tier 2!

Unless your friend is in your support bubble.

It's all so tricky isn't it. I haven't been to England since the start of the pandemic so will have to check out all the rules! This is all assuming the restrictions here allow it - I haven't actually been allowed to leave Cardiff for a month and currently in a "firebreak", which prevents me from seeing the Elite Syncopations programme. I have bought a ticket for the last Within the Golden Hour, crossing my fingers that I'll be able to travel!

• Like 3

I assume that ALL single tickets that can't be used (for whatever reason) will need to be returned to the box office for resale because the name on the ticket will have to match the identity requested at the theatre I assume.  (Am I correct in that assumption?  Does anyone know.)  That - I think - should open up opportunities for people who weren't lucky enough to gain them (i.e., single tickets).  

Can I ask:  When you booked two tickets did the ROH system ask for the name of the other person from your bubble that would be joining you so they could follow through on the identification? 

Edited by Bruce Wall

6 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

I assume that ALL single tickets that can't be used (for whatever reason) will need to be returned to the box office for resale because the name on the ticket will have to match the identity requested at the theatre I assume.  (Am I correct in that assumption?  Does anyone know.)  

Well on the ticket is says that it's non-transferable, and the T&C say that it can only be resold or exchanged through the ROH. It doesn't mention the ID being checked at the theatre, but maybe that was covered at an earlier stage of booking (can't remember).

8 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

I assume that ALL single tickets that can't be used (for whatever reason) will need to be returned to the box office for resale because the name on the ticket will have to match the identity requested at the theatre I assume.  (Am I correct in that assumption?  Does anyone know.)  That - I think - should open up opportunities for people who weren't lucky enough to gain them (i.e., single tickets).  

Can I ask:  When you booked two tickets did the ROH system ask for the name of the other person from your bubble that would be joining you so they could follow through on the identification? 

You have to “sign in” for track and trace when you attend so you don’t have to prove your identity. Only one person per group is required to sign in (in line with other places, including pubs and restaurants) so a second name is not required when you buy your tickets.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Well on the ticket is says that it's non-transferable, and the T&C say that it can only be resold or exchanged through the ROH. It doesn't mention the ID being checked at the theatre, but maybe that was covered at an earlier stage of booking (can't remember).

Although it does say, when you get to the Checkout page

Identification is required to confirm eligibility for these tickets. Please present your identification along with your ticket.

I’m beginning to wonder about the ticket limit. All levels of Friends have now booked and Public Booking is open. Yet there are over 100 tickets still available for every performance of The RB Live. 
Maybe people are more reluctant to return or travel than anticipated?

Yes.  Probably, like me, they've tried selecting a few price bands and are getting fed up with the "We could not find 1 tickets together. Try requesting fewer tickets, or select a different area."

What should I go for, 0.5?  0.25?  And of course they can't find 1 ticket together :)

Shame the system can't filter on the number of tickets looked for.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Although it does say, when you get to the Checkout page

Identification is required to confirm eligibility for these tickets. Please present your identification along with your ticket.

It was actually to this that I was referring when I asked my question.  I hadn't seen it before.  I, may, of course have been confused.  I wasn't clear vis a vis what specific 'identification' they were referring to.  

10 hours ago, capybara said:

I’m beginning to wonder about the ticket limit. All levels of Friends have now booked and Public Booking is open. Yet there are over 100 tickets still available for every performance of The RB Live. 

Quite possibly given the worsening situation. My thought was that the ROH just isn't updating the website with the number of available tickets.  

8 hours ago, FionaE said:

I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that ROH have sold any singles at all... Bolshoi ONLY sell tickets in pairs since they reopened.

Well, I am one of the lucky ones. But I wouldn’t be feeling so chipper about the situation if I’d failed to get a ticket, as seems to be the position of many people on here.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, capybara said:

I think the issue is their advertising of the event. Has anyone seen any paid advertising reaching out beyond their customer database? If you imagine that 

1. A large proportion of older people and high risk people won't feel comfortable travelling to or sitting in a theatre

2. People are less likely to travel from outside London

3. Unlikely to reach a tourist audience given the current situation

This means they really do need to demonstrate they can reach new audiences who are more willing to go out.. They will need to identify the digital signals for these sorts of audiences and a great opportunity to focus on the fact that these performances are highly affordable because they are so much shorter.

I know their marketing is exceptionally short term at the moment, but they also missed a trick last weekend with their full page ad in the Times on Saturday's supplement to drive streaming of Dark Age - it was very hard to tell they were trying to push streaming and there was no clear call to action for readers.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

It was actually to this that I was referring when I asked my question.  I hadn't seen it before.  I, may, of course have been confused.  I wasn't clear vis a vis what specific 'identification' they were referring to.  

ROH has (promptly) replied to my e-mail on the ID question.....

Many thanks for your email.

As long as you have your e-ticket, there is no need to bring ID. This wording is an ongoing legacy issue with IT which they're looking in to.
Edited by oncnp
clarification

2 hours ago, Blossom said:

I think the issue is their advertising of the event. Has anyone seen any paid advertising reaching out beyond their customer database? If you imagine that 

1. A large proportion of older people and high risk people won't feel comfortable travelling to or sitting in a theatre

2. People are less likely to travel from outside London

3. Unlikely to reach a tourist audience given the current situation

This means they really do need to demonstrate they can reach new audiences who are more willing to go out.. They will need to identify the digital signals for these sorts of audiences and a great opportunity to focus on the fact that these performances are highly affordable because they are so much shorter.

I know their marketing is exceptionally short term at the moment, but they also missed a trick last weekend with their full page ad in the Times on Saturday's supplement to drive streaming of Dark Age - it was very hard to tell they were trying to push streaming and there was no clear call to action for readers.

Excellent points there - I have often wondered about the size of its audience base. Perhaps a couple of well-placed interviews with Kevin o'Hare or Alex Beard in the press about re-opening?

• Like 1

It does seem odd that the ROH ticketing system doesn't let you see the available seats and select a seat yourself. Sadler's Wells currently lets you do this, as do the National Theatre and the Bridge Theatre.  It gives you a much better idea of what the distancing is like. 

• Like 4