ROYAL OPERA HOUSE LIVE PERFORMANCES AUTUMN 2020

Guest oncnp

37 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

During his Ballet Association Zoom interview, KOH said that streaming was very expensive.  If they don't stream the performances, this could well be the reason.  

Another excellent point. Not sure what the break-even point is for cost v. revenue on a stream. And given the ROH's utter indifference to the streaming issues many had with the first ballet broadcast they might expect a smaller audience this time around, making streaming even less financially viable. 

As someone ( @capybara if I recall) pointed out the ROH has to prove to the Arts Council that they are trying to support themselves in order to get that ginormus loan they've requested (I think they find out this week) so it may not be a financial decision but a PR one. The ROH may also be using streaming as a back up in case the live performances can't go forward.

Update: The streaming links have now been removed from the booking pages. Don't know of that means no stream or not ready to sell yet. I have e-mailed the ROH for clarification (not holding my breath). 

Edited by oncnp

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

During his Ballet Association Zoom interview, KOH said that streaming was very expensive.  If they don't stream the performances, this could well be the reason.  

Personally think that they need to think bigger with their streaming. Yes it is expensive and an additional cost given that their physical audience is smaller, but they are now 'media owners' in the arts space and could offset some costs with a hybrid model by working with appropriate advertisers to sponsor streams in addition to charging a pay per view fee. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

Perhaps they could reduce the cost a bit by not paying for presenters?  (I omitted the series of adjectives that came to mind...)

Edited by now voyager
  • Like 5

"You can choose an area of the auditorium in which to sit and a pricing zone – we will then send you your seat number(s) with your confirmation email."

Hmm, that wouldn't be terribly helpful for me if I didn't have confirmation of exact seats beforehand - albeit that it would give me extra legroom if I was guaranteed not to have anyone next to me.  But rather odd, I'd have thought, for a maximum of two tickets to be sold for something which is such a "family" ballet.  Perhaps I just haven't understood the constraints imposed by social distancing in the ROH.  And I see they're advertising £5 tickets - does that mean amphi standing?  I can't imagine what else would be that price.

Just now, alison said:

"You can choose an area of the auditorium in which to sit and a pricing zone – we will then send you your seat number(s) with your confirmation email."

Hmm, that wouldn't be terribly helpful for me if I didn't have confirmation of exact seats beforehand - albeit that it would give me extra legroom if I was guaranteed not to have anyone next to me.  But rather odd, I'd have thought, for a maximum of two tickets to be sold for something which is such a "family" ballet.  Perhaps I just haven't understood the constraints imposed by social distancing in the ROH.  And I see they're advertising £5 tickets - does that mean amphi standing?  I can't imagine what else would be that price.

Based on my experience of (not) booking this AM for the Nov performances, the exact seats were shown in the cart before checkout. 

2 minutes ago, alison said:

But rather odd, I'd have thought, for a maximum of two tickets to be sold for something which is such a "family" ballet. 

I imagine it's another 'cut and paste' from the mixed bill performances. I wouldn't be surprised if this is later modified as a maximum of two tickets would, as you imply, prevent two parents coming with their children.

And one more Christmas program coming according to ROH e-mail (doesn't say if opera  or ballet)

Twelve Days of Christmas: Not yet on sale. Dates to be confirmed soon.

12 Days of Christmas

In the run-up to the festive season, the Royal Opera House will open the doors to its historic Covent Garden home as part of its Twelve Days of Christmas promenades. The promenade through the world-famous London theatre will include activities for the whole family, seated performances in the beautiful Crush Room and Paul Hamlyn Hall, as well as opportunities to encounter some orchestral and choral festive highlights from artists of the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House and the Royal Opera House Chorus.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

12 Days of Christmas

In the run-up to the festive season, the Royal Opera House will open the doors to its historic Covent Garden home as part of its Twelve Days of Christmas promenades. The promenade through the world-famous London theatre will include activities for the whole family, seated performances in the beautiful Crush Room and Paul Hamlyn Hall, as well as opportunities to encounter some orchestral and choral festive highlights from artists of the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House and the Royal Opera House Chorus.

Thanks - I should have read the news page first

On 21/10/2020 at 13:41, oncnp said:

Based on my experience of (not) booking this AM for the Nov performances, the exact seats were shown in the cart before checkout.

Yes this is what happens.... if you don't like the allocation you can delete your booking from your basket and try again...all rather random, but  I was able to get much better seats (IMHO) for the "Within the Golden Hour" on the second attempt in this way, even though I didn't change the date. I suppose the ROH's idea of the best available seats may not match the ticket buyer's.

Incidentally it seems, from my experience, that you are only allowed up to 2 seats in total for "Elite", and 2 in total for "Golden" - out of interest I tried a dummy run for another date for both, only to be told.....

• You have reached your ticket limit.
Edited by Richard LH

I really don’t know why the ROH couldn’t offer the traditional style seating plan selection method but with fewer seats available, the Theatre Royal in Bath has for its open up season, I was able to choose my seat (almost exactly where I always sit, a Stalls aisle seat) and could see where all the other bookable seats are. 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Yes this is what happens.... if you don't like the allocation you can delete your booking from your basket and try again...all rather random, but  I was able to get much better seats (IMHO) for the "Within the Golden Hour" on the second attempt in this way, even though I didn't change the date. I suppose the ROH's idea of the best available seats may not match the ticket buyer's.

Incidentally it seems, from my experience, that you are only allowed up to 2 seats in total for "Elite", and 2 in total for "Golden" - out of interest I tried a dummy run for another date for both, only to be told.....

• You have reached your ticket limit.

Surely with limited seats available that’s only fair to ensure seats are still available for public booking? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Surely with limited seats available that’s only fair to ensure seats are still available for public booking? 

Do we think there will be any available for the public? I really can’t see it, it’ll be like that Fidelio situation all over again, surely. 

6 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Do we think there will be any available for the public? I really can’t see it, it’ll be like that Fidelio situation all over again, surely. 

I think the Fidelio debacle is exactly what they are trying to avoid. Not going to look good with the public or the Arts Council if there are no public seats available (the loan conditions specifically mention accessabiliy). 'May also be the thinking behind assigning seats ( v. letting you choose). Trying to make sure there are "good" seats for public sale next week.

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

I suppose the ROH's idea of the best available seats may not match the ticket buyer's.

My experience in trying to book amphi seats in that way is that the computer is instructed that centre block is better than side block, even if the seat is further away from the stage as a result.  I've never yet been able to get it to give me any halfway reasonable seat when trying for "best available".

• Like 2

I like that they state there is a maximum number of seats you can buy or each programme but if they didn’t want the public to have access to the good seats then they should make them unbookable at this stage and make them available next week like they do with the Friday sale seats in normal times. 

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

if they didn’t want the public to have access to the good seats then they should make them unbookable at this stage and make them available next week like they do with the Friday sale seats in normal times. 

I think that would be far too open to Mr Cockup coming to town ...

I can't get a single ticket for the amphitheatre, but 2 are available, the other problem is that I can only buy an E-ticket which is useless, I didn't actually want any tickets for these performances anyway, only experimenting, doesn't look good for the future though.

1 hour ago, alison said:

My experience in trying to book amphi seats in that way is that the computer is instructed that centre block is better than side block, even if the seat is further away from the stage as a result.  I've never yet been able to get it to give me any halfway reasonable seat when trying for "best available".

Yes that does seem to be the "Algorithm"  !

Edited by Richard LH

53 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

I can't get a single ticket for the amphitheatre, but 2 are available, the other problem is that I can only buy an E-ticket which is useless, I didn't actually want any tickets for these performances anyway, only experimenting, doesn't look good for the future though.

Just to mention (in case relevant) that you don't have to show an e-ticket on a mobile phone - you can print it out and take the paper ticket (if you have access to a printer of course!). (I did get a single ticket in the end, in the upper slips!! I should have taken the first offer which was Amphi row R...).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tebasile said:

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere - I was surprised when booking today that seats in the orchestra stalls were available. Does anyone know what the arrangement with the actual orchestra will be? 

Glad you mentioned that - I was quite surprised - we may find ourselves sitting amongst the orchestra!

12 minutes ago, MJW said:

Glad you mentioned that - I was quite surprised - we may find ourselves sitting amongst the orchestra!

The orchestra (albeit fewer in number) is back in the pit. Seats are available in the Stalls from Row C backwards. Rows A&B are not on sale because they are too close to the orchestra.

Given the capacity of the Stalls in terms of social distancing and the possibility of charging the highest price for seats there, the ROH surely had to do it this way.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, capybara said:

The orchestra (albeit fewer in number) is back in the pit. Seats are available in the Stalls from Row C backwards. Rows A&B are not on sale because they are too close to the orchestra.

Given the capacity of the Stalls in terms of social distancing and the possibility of charging the highest price for seats there, the ROH surely had to do it this way.

Thinking about it - neither Elite Syncopations nor Within the Golden Hour calls on a full orchestra.

While neither is my favourite ballet, I admire the ingenuity of programming.

• Like 2

On 23/10/2020 at 19:34, Tebasile said:

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere - I was surprised when booking today that seats in the orchestra stalls were available. Does anyone know what the arrangement with the actual orchestra will be? 

Seats in row A came up for stalls when I was booking so assume they are using the stalls in full.

Did anyone manage to book any single tickets? I tried for this performance (to save completely spoiling my daughter by taking her a 3rd week in a row!) but couldn't, which is fine, but thought it somewhat strange that there were none in any of the areas I was looking on a number of dates.

7 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Seats in row A came up for stalls when I was booking so assume they are using the stalls in full.

Did anyone manage to book any single tickets? I tried for this performance (to save completely spoiling my daughter by taking her a 3rd week in a row!) but couldn't, which is fine, but thought it somewhat strange that there were none in any of the areas I was looking on a number of dates.

Perhaps saving seats for public sale next week?

59 minutes ago, Blossom said:

I did manage to get single tickets - after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with dates and different parts of the auditorium! 

• Like 1