ROYAL OPERA HOUSE LIVE PERFORMANCES AUTUMN 2020

Guest oncnp

21 minutes ago, oncnp said:

This  just arrived. I think they've not fixed their mailing lists yet as not on the What's On site...….

The Royal Ballet in Class

Every professional ballet dancer attends a daily class to prepare their bodies for the rehearsals and performances ahead. Gain an insight into this fascinating routine by watching dancers from the Company take class on the main stage on:

Friday 6th November at 10.30am (members only)
Friday 13th November at 10.30am 

I will be poised over my computer at work waiting to get in the queue at 10am!

Edited by MJW
Edit

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, MJW said:

I will be paused over my computer at work waiting to get in the queue at 10am!

Do you see an option to book? Not coming up for me.

2 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

@MJW @oncnp Did your email confirm a booking date?  Mine did but I'm not sure if that's a priority booking date or not.

I got the e-mail in error (again!) and it asked that ticket requests be e-mailed to the patrons office (I'm not - waiting for the "excuse us" follow up - again.).  No booking date was mentioned. 

7 minutes ago, oncnp said:

I got the e-mail in error (again!) and it asked that ticket requests be e-mailed to the patrons office (I'm not - waiting for the "excuse us" follow up - again.).  No booking date was mentioned. 

They’re good aren’t they? Looks like a GDPR breach waiting to happen!

• Like 1

Does anyone know if  the two  November ballet programmes (A and B ), and the Nutcracker, are being streamed live, for a fee, as well as being available for a (restricted) live audience? I initially assumed they were but now I can't find confirmation and I am wondering if this only applies to the operas.....

25 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Does anyone know if  the two  November ballet programmes (A and B ), and the Nutcracker, are being streamed live, for a fee, as well as being available for a (restricted) live audience? I initially assumed they were but now I can't find confirmation and I am wondering if this only applies to the operas.....

I was wondering that too. I had initially assumed the opening night of each would be streamed, so we can all fume at vimeo's pay-as-you-go but the info available not supporting that assumption at the moment. Perhaps it will become clear soon (one hopes!), and perhaps a hint at the rep aside from Elite S and Golden Hour (and casting?). There again, breath not being held

Also, rereading the page just now, when they discuss Nutcracker, they say there will be covid-safe performances that we can attend (if a ticket procured!), but the link in the text goes to the cinema broadcast of the 2016 broadcast, rather than to more helpful (booking?) info. Which is a bit puzzling

On 16/10/2020 at 15:38, oncnp said:

This  just arrived. I think they've not fixed their mailing lists yet as not on the What's On site...….

The Royal Ballet in Class

Every professional ballet dancer attends a daily class to prepare their bodies for the rehearsals and performances ahead. Gain an insight into this fascinating routine by watching dancers from the Company take class on the main stage on:

Friday 6th November at 10.30am (members only)
Friday 13th November at 10.30am 

For Friday 6th who are members?  Does that include Friends+

2 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

For Friday 6th who are members?  Does that include Friends+

I believe (could be wrong of course) that includes all Friends of whatever persuasion.  Both "Friends" and "Patrons" are included under the "Members" heading on the "Join & Support" ROH page. 

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Does anyone know if  the two  November ballet programmes (A and B ), and the Nutcracker, are being streamed live, for a fee

One of each of the November programmes - likely. Nutcracker - don’t know.

But who knows what the performing landscape will be by 4th November and onwards........

• Like 3

I keep making the point to the ROH and others that a number of people are not able to attend in person because of health risks and that streaming is undoubtedly the next best thing. I thought I’d read that the one of each of the two November performances would be streamed and I do hope the Nutcracker will be steamed. There’s a real magic in seeing live performances - even if we find later the actual relay is delayed.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I keep making the point to the ROH and others that a number of people are not able to attend in person because of health risks and that streaming is undoubtedly the next best thing. I thought I’d read that the one of each of the two November performances would be streamed and I do hope the Nutcracker will be steamed. There’s a real magic in seeing live performances - even if we find later the actual relay is delayed.

I do think they’re seized of this point, John - and, of course, it’s a good additional revenue stream.

13 hours ago, Richard LH said:

I have emailed both Alex Beard and Kevin O'Hare a week ago to ask if the Nov programmes are being streamed and also if there are going to be any RB promotions this year but haven't heard back yet. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I have emailed both Alex Beard and Kevin O'Hare a week ago to ask if the Nov programmes are being streamed and also if there are going to be any RB promotions this year but haven't heard back yet. 

Don't know about Nutcracker but I think that the article which was in the Times on 28 Sept said that there was a plan to stream. Would certainly make sense to help close the gap in finances with a socially distanced audience.

2 hours ago, Blossom said:

Don't know about Nutcracker but I think that the article which was in the Times on 28 Sept said that there was a plan to stream. Would certainly make sense to help close the gap in finances with a socially distanced audience.

Agree totally that streaming a good idea, but the recent streaming of ballet and opera and the many problems encountered by people  on this forum and viewers throughout the country and abroad may mean that potential audiences are not keen to part with £16 when they are unsure of being able to watch. I found the 'standard' reply by the ROH to those complaining on Saturday unhelpful and rather insulting. They must take people's comments seriously if they are going to make streaming a viable service.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Announcing it would also have been transparent. The ROH has no problem announcing they have fired all of their casual staff with perhaps worse to come  when the results of the redundancy consultations are announced.  Just a little duplicitous.

Yes I agree. I didn't really think there would be any promotions this year given the financial circumstances but it would be nice to be told this and had it official. Would also be nice to know about whether or not the Nov performances are going to be streamed. The problem is, if they're paid streams most people will have seen Elite Syncopations already. I assume casting will be much the same because of the bubble situation. Still, it will be worth paying just to see everything else. I did praise the live concert very highly and say what an emotional  joy it is to see the RB back on stage again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Recently there was a Ballet Association Zoom interview with Kevin O'Hare. He was asked about this matter and his  response was that there wouldn't be any promotions.

Thanks very much for this Bluebird. Can't say I'm surprised but if it's been decided why not announce it on their own website?

I did receive a reply from Alex Beard today (he's usually quite prompt at replying considering how busy he must be). He thanked me for my letter and was pleased I enjoyed the performance but he's letting Kevin reply to my queries so we'll have to see what he says about the streaming. I can't see why they wouldn't stream the programmes but if so why not say so when they're announced?

14 hours ago, jmhopton said:

……. so we'll have to see what he says about the streaming. I can't see why they wouldn't stream the programmes but if so why not say so when they're announced?

We'll probably know tomorrow (10:00 AM) when booking opens for the two Royal Ballet: Live(ish) programs. Presumably (hopefully?) the streams will also be bookable at that time. 

ROH also says "The booking for the rest of the Autumn Programme including The Nutcracker will go on sale on Tuesday 3 November at 10am and further details will be shared with you next week. " Don't know if that date is Friends or public. 

Edited by oncnp

General booking for the ROH November programs & onstage class opens on 27 October

The two programs will be streamed but the links are not set up yet.  The on-stage class is not being streamed. 

Edited by oncnp

And if you booked as a Friend remember to bring your ID - apparently they will check

Identification is required to confirm eligibility for these tickets. Please present your identification along with your ticket.

Edited by oncnp

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

General booking for the ROH November programs & onstage class opens on 27 October

The two programs will be streamed but the links are not set up yet.  The on-stage class is not being streamed. 

I do hope you're right about the streaming of the main stage performances, oncnp. 

Although the information below is on the production page, since the link goes to the October 9 performance (as well as to the other streamed performances which are still on line), I took this to mean that they had left this information there by mistake. i.e. if I remember correctly, the other information on the page is almost identical to the information which had been on the production page for the main stage opera performances which were available for streaming as well as for live audiences.  These streamed opera performances were available for purchase well before the live audience tickets went on sale.

As I've already written, I hope you're right and that these performances will be streamed.  I'm sure there are many people who would love to see them but do not yet feel comfortable about using public transport and coming to indoor events.

Here is the information currently on the ROH website:

"Streaming

The performance will also be broadcast online. Buy access to the stream now."

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

I do hope you're right about the streaming of the main stage performances, oncnp. 

Although the information below is on the production page, since the link goes to the October 9 performance (as well as for other streamed performances which are still on line), I took this to mean that they had left this information there by mistake. i.e. if I remember correctly, the other information on the page is almost identical to the information which had been on the production page for the main stage opera performances which were available for streaming as well as for live audiences.  These streamed opera performances were available for purchase well before the live audience tickets went on sale.

"Streaming

The performance will also be broadcast online. Buy access to the stream now."

Good point. I hadn't thought of a "cut & paste" error.  I had understood KOH at some point referring to (limited) live + stream as the new model so  I suspect live(ish) streaming will continue. They may just be still deciding which performances to stream. 

Just now, oncnp said:

Good point. I hadn't thought of a "cut & paste" error.  I had understood KOH at some point referring to (limited) live + stream as the new model so  I suspect live(ish) streaming will continue. They may just be still deciding which performances to stream. 

During his Ballet Association Zoom interview, KOH said that streaming was very expensive.  If they don't stream the performances, this could well be the reason.