ROYAL OPERA HOUSE LIVE PERFORMANCES AUTUMN 2020

Guest oncnp

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Probably just revealing my technological ignorance here 🙄 

Probably not.  Have you tried it on another browser like Chrome to see if Safari is the issue?

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried on one laptop using chrome. It plays for about 30 seconds and then refuses to load. Tried a second laptop but it won’t allow me to log in as it said that I’m already logged in on too many devices....even though I’ve signed out of the original laptop. Absolutely gutted. Have been looking forward to this all week. 

think the ROH needs to look very carefully at their use of Vimeo. I have been watching concerts from the Wigmore Hall two cornerstones a week with no problems. But I suppose the problem is that the cost of your ticket can be dealt with by Vimeo, whereas the Wigmore Hall just asks for a donation.  If the ROH is serious about streaming it must sort this out properly. They're losing an awful lot of potential viewers at the moment.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ninamargaret said:

think the ROH needs to look very carefully at their use of Vimeo. I have been watching concerts from the Wigmore Hall two cornerstones a week with no problems. But I suppose the problem is that the cost of your ticket can be dealt with by Vimeo, whereas the Wigmore Hall just asks for a donation.  If the ROH is serious about streaming it must sort this out properly. They're losing an awful lot of potential viewers at the moment.

What platform is Wigmore on?

Oncnp there are literally hundreds of complaints on the site as SO many cannot access even using Chrome though others have had success on laptops using Chrome it seems. 
I can only use an iPad or iPhone so am now hoping the catch up will work to!!

Was Dances using Vimeo? I hope Vimeo is compatible with Apple!! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Oncnp there are literally hundreds of complaints on the site as SO many cannot access even using Chrome though others have had success on laptops using Chrome it seems. 
I can only use an iPad or iPhone so am now hoping the catch up will work to!!

Was Dances using Vimeo? I hope Vimeo is compatible with Apple!! 

Vimeo has always been the platform so one would think they would have this sorted by now.

Such a shame because the stream itself is working perfectly (probably just jinxed it)

Edited by oncnp

And just a note that the replay will be available on the site in 90 minutes. 'Be interesting to see if the replay works when the live stream didn't . 

I hate to say it, when so many people seem to be struggling, but I connected my "dumb" TV to my laptop with an HDMI cable and streamed the whole thing to my TV screen using Firefox.  Is it people who have Smart TVs who are having the problem?

7 minutes ago, alison said:

s it people who have Smart TVs who are having the problem?

could be - certainly in my case. I now find it seems to be working perfectly and the pre performance screen which tells me that there are no technical problems and which shows the clock running down to start time appears. After a frustrating and annoying evening I don't feel like spending two hours watching even the RB so will delay until tomorrow. Hope it'sstill working!

1 minute ago, alison said:

It's 3 hours, ninamargaret, so definitely leave it until tomorrow!  (Which is another point management will need to consider - 3 hours without a toilet break?!)

I skipped out between Don Q and Elite Syncopations figuring I could see the filler later.

It was nice to see how much noise that small a crowd could make and that the character actors, Senior Ballet Mistress and Lauren Cuthbertson got some stage time. 

1 minute ago, alison said:

I managed to miss Lauren Cuthbertson - what was she doing?

Just chatting to the presenter. She's (Lauren Cuthbertson that is) due in January I think

46 minutes ago, alison said:

It's 3 hours, ninamargaret, so definitely leave it until tomorrow!  (Which is another point management will need to consider - 3 hours without a toilet break?!)

You can always nip out each time Anita Rani steps up to read what it says on one of her endless supply of crib sheets. The performances, however, were uniformly terrific. Just wish I could have been part of that wonderfully enthusiastic audience. Please, please, please open up again soon!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, alison said:

I did mean the audiences in the House ... fine for those in boxes who can presumably get out if they need to, less fine for someone stuck in the middle of a row, I suppose :)

Sorry - yes, that could definately be an issue.

8 hours ago, alison said:

I hate to say it, when so many people seem to be struggling, but I connected my "dumb" TV to my laptop with an HDMI cable and streamed the whole thing to my TV screen using Firefox.  Is it people who have Smart TVs who are having the problem?

I have a smart TV, but when I try to cast it just tells me that my TV isn't compatible - this is despite it working perfectly casting YouTube and other videos. I did investigate connecting it manually and discovered that my laptop (only a few years old) doesn't have a hdmi connection.

24 minutes ago, DanJL said:

. I did investigate connecting it manually and discovered that my laptop (only a few years old) doesn't have a hdmi connection.

It requires an adaptor cable which you'd have no reason to have because your TV had worked in the past.

Can I ask - did it work when you  tested it ahead of time? 

Ah that could be the answer, thank you oncnp! I'll see if I can get hold of an adaptor then. Hopefully plenty of time to do that before last night's performance and Dances at a gathering expire 🙂

No, it didn't work ahead of time or for any of the other ROH vimeo streams. So by the time of the performance I'd resigned myself to watching on the laptop.

Thanks so much for the advice. I should also mention that I thought the ROH instructions, shown on the video before the performance started, were very clear. Presumably there must just be something about the casting that needs a particular spec of smart TV.

13 minutes ago, DanJL said:

Ah that could be the answer, thank you oncnp! I'll see if I can get hold of an adaptor then. Hopefully plenty of time to do that before last night's performance and Dances at a gathering expire 🙂

No, it didn't work ahead of time or for any of the other ROH vimeo streams. So by the time of the performance I'd resigned myself to watching on the laptop.

Thanks so much for the advice. I should also mention that I thought the ROH instructions, shown on the video before the performance started, were very clear. Presumably there must just be something about the casting that needs a particular spec of smart TV.

Thank you for saving me a lot of money. Since streaming will be my lot for a long time, I was thinking about buying a nice, new smart TV.  Now, I think I'll hang on the old, dumb one. 

I think my annoyance was because  the system I used, Fire stick connected to smart tv, worked perfectly for all the other ROH streams. And apparently worked perfectly a couple p less of hours after. So not a problem with my set up. Given the huge number of complaints there must have been something not working that affected people in many different areas - even countries.

• Like 3

I don’t think it was necessarily a smart TV problem people couldn’t get it on any device though were trying to!! 
I was using Safari and some were saying they had switched from Chrome to Safari and vice versa but still no luck!! 

Because so many were affected in different ways is there such a problem as a streaming device being overwhelmed if too many people trying to access it 🤔 just a thought. 

Also glad to see some have already accessed after the livestream with no further problems. 
As I tried for an hour to get on yesterday (ended up watching Vera on TV with a nice glass of sherry so evening not entirely ruined) can’t face trying again just yet but will probably have another go tomorrow evening and hope it’s successful this time!! 

• Like 2

I believe it was a problem with the livestream not working on certain mobile browsers, so phones and tablets. Odd given that this isn't normally an issue with Vimeo livestreams.

For those who had trouble, I would urge you to try again now that it is available on demand. Everything is working fine now. If you could access Dances at a Gathering and the test video, you will be able to watch the gala.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dance*is*life said:

By the way does anyone have a cast list - I missed some of them?

bridiem posted one a couple pages upthread - sorry I don't know how to link to it.

There is also one here https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/the-royal-ballet-back-on-stage-details (scroll down past "read more")

Edited by oncnp

Saodan:  I regret to say that it's not "working fine now," certainly not here.  As before, I can login on our Panasonic TV browser and all that's there is a blank black screen, as has been the case in my testing for at least a week now.  And there's no mobile device involved, phone or tablet - just a Mac desktop separated by most of the length of the house from a Panasonic smart TV acquired earlier this year.