ROYAL OPERA HOUSE LIVE PERFORMANCES AUTUMN 2020

Guest oncnp

1 hour ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Saodan:  I regret to say that it's not "working fine now," certainly not here.  As before, I can login on our Panasonic TV browser and all that's there is a blank black screen, as has been the case in my testing for at least a week now.  And there's no mobile device involved, phone or tablet - just a Mac desktop separated by most of the length of the house from a Panasonic smart TV acquired earlier this year.   

Oh, this is terrible. I had similar problems as yours (I think!) with my Samsung TV and had to try a few things before I could make it work. Is it that you can't play the video at all on your Mac or you can't mirror your Mac to your Panasonic or both?

(My first post. Hi!)

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Santos:  Welcome to the Forum -  a pity that your first post should have to be about the less successful aspects of last night.  I've had no problems at all over getting the ROH output on my Mac, but it's located in a corner, very convenient for my normal purposes, but not at all convenient for viewing by others, particularly over an extended time.  The prospect of streaming on to our large TV at the other end of the house seemed most appealing but has simply not emerged as feasible at this address.

And I think I've banged on about this quite enough now.

20 hours ago, LinMM said:

We are a totally Apple house and Dances worked on Safari okay. 
I suppose I thought Dances might be different because it was already a video has already happened so maybe when it’s actually being streamed live it might make a difference? Probably just revealing my technological ignorance here 🙄 

I think that’s exactly the problem .... livestream requires more bandwidth.  So anyone who couldn’t stream it last night, doesn’t have sufficient bandwidth in their area or in their home.

4 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Saodan:  I regret to say that it's not "working fine now," certainly not here.  As before, I can login on our Panasonic TV browser and all that's there is a blank black screen, as has been the case in my testing for at least a week now.  And there's no mobile device involved, phone or tablet - just a Mac desktop separated by most of the length of the house from a Panasonic smart TV acquired earlier this year.   

Wondering if your TV display / screen size is set up in such a way that the video play button (usual white triangle) Is missing from your screen or chopped off at the bottom?

Did I read somewhere that some TVs are incompatible?

Edited by FionaE
Typo

Fiona:  No - it isn't, no button of any kind - and, if the comments below the screen are any guide, many others have found the same thing.  There is "an issue" out there somewhere over this.  But, as I've said, probably best if I leave the matter alone for a bit.

27 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Santos:  Welcome to the Forum -  a pity that your first post should have to be about the less successful aspects of last night.  I've had no problems at all over getting the ROH output on my Mac, but it's located in a corner, very convenient for my normal purposes, but not at all convenient for viewing by others, particularly over an extended time.  The prospect of streaming on to our large TV at the other end of the house seemed most appealing but has simply not emerged as feasible at this address.

And I think I've banged on about this quite enough now.

Thank you for the welcome, Ian. It's a casting issue, I see. The combination of Vimeo, Mac, Chromecast and Panasonic is not the most obliging, I'm afraid. If you haven't tried it yet, and you're not too fed up with the situation, perhaps try screen mirroring through AIrBeamTV for Mac to Panasonic? There's a free trial version you can test quite easily. If you have sufficient bandwidth and neither your computer nor your TV is too far from your router or in a dead spot, it should work without (too much) video/audio lagging. (Not sure if linking is allowed here so I won't put the link. But a Google search should turn AirBeamTV up.) In any case, I hope you and your family enjoy the wonderful gala even on your tiny screen.

• Like 1

Okay so can anybody tell me where I can watch last nights stream on catch up. 
if I sign into my stream account I’m getting a screen saying something is starting in half an hour opera I think 

But how do I get to the ballet from last night🤔

Is there somewhere on the ROH website you are supposed to go for watch on demand or catch up whatever it’s called 🙄

9 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Okay so can anybody tell me where I can watch last nights stream on catch up. 
if I sign into my stream account I’m getting a screen saying something is starting in half an hour opera I think 

But how do I get to the ballet from last night🤔

Is there somewhere on the ROH website you are supposed to go for watch on demand or catch up whatever it’s called 🙄

You're probably in the right place. The screen should say "The Royal Ballet Back on Stage - Live in 29 minutes" with Orpheus in his underwear in the background.  Hover and you should see a slider at the bottom. Program starts about 29:20 minutes in.

If that doesn't work, go back to the "What's On" page (I never sign in through the stream page) click on "Sign up & Buy" (you won't) and it will take you to the stream.

Edited by oncnp

Thanks oncnp.. a fount of technological know how 😊...yes I went in through the what’s on page but when I heard this singing and it saying live in 29 mins I thought there was something else been live-streamed tonight lol!! 
Finally got in! 
can be a bit clumsy moving the timer thingy but anyway just finished watching Marston piece having mini break and then hopefully back to Jewels!! 
I do have to play on the phone though my iPad with ancient iOS 9.5 just brings up a blank screen so I think you do have to have a pretty  modern software on whatever device you are using. 
we do have a smart TV a three year old LG with Oled screen et al I will ask partner if he is clever enough to link phone to TV to watch when he comes back( away at mo) although many people with smart TV’s couldn’t get it to work yesterday. 
Back to the ballet 🩰🩰🩰🩰🩰🩰🩰🩰

even if on the phone ballet! 

When I watched Dances at a Gathering it cast fine to my TV via Chromecast device. Yesterday's live stream would only work when I got the show up on my phone in "Desktop View" to get that click the 3 vertical dots top right of screen and select. Then I got the Chromecast device to cast) mirror my screen off my phone. The disadvantage with this is you can't switch the phone off. Last time with DaaG there was a cast Icon so I am hoping this will appear when I watch on repeat. It still needs the chromecast device though to be plugged into the smart TV.

YouTube is a much easier platform to use for casting easily, but I'm guessing that ROH wouldn't be able to charge a fee using YouTube? 

13 hours ago, alison said:

I don't know if people who've been having problems have read this page?  Seems fairly comprehensive.

https://www.roh.org.uk/using-roh-stream#smart-tv

it's very comprehensive if a bit complex for anyone who is struggling with the terminology used. But I think a lot of annoyance came from those who had done all the right things and still couldn't watch, and those, like me, who had watched the previous streaming with little or no problem. I still feel there are technical difficulties that need to be admitted and addressed by the ROH/Vimeo.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

I lost count of the times I consulted that page during the 2 weeks before the show - all to no avail, despite getting a Chromecast thingy (a dongle???!) and so forth.  

Maybe that's why it worked for me. I skipped the ROH instructions entirely and just used the ones that came with the Chromecast thingy (as I'm sure you did as well). I was pretty astonished that using the phone app it set up first time as I had anticipated more Ian's experience.  And my TV is dumb (like its owner) so had far fewer things to go wrong. 

😂 that made me laugh Alison. 
We have a smart TV but it’s too smart for me. I know how to access iPlayer on it and that’s about it!! 
It would be great to watch ballet on it but my partner doesn’t think it’s compatible with my Apple iPhone for streaming so you have to laugh I’ve been sitting here in a room with a huge tv screen but watching the ballet streaming on a small phone 🙄 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, alison said:

It does sound as though DumbTVs are the way to go ...

Or don't live stream....just on demand as that seems to have fewer problems

Have just received an email from the ROH reminding me to watch last Friday's streaming and enclosing a few well deserved congratulatory comments. What a pity that they appear to have totally ignored the many problems people have had and have offered no explanation or apology. I, for one will hesitate to spend £16 on something that is so unstable, and I am a supporter. Those that were possibly just tipping a toe in the water probably won't bother. I realise that some of those who had problems may not have read, or understood the copious instructions, but an awful.lot were well able to cope with the technology and still couldn't access the programme, either on Friday or later. Think the ROH has really missed a trick here.

• Like 6

They didn't appear to have anyone on hand to deal with tech advice, did they?  All I saw out of the thousands of posts were ones where people were complaining, nobody official trying to help out, as happened with previous showings, I think.  If so, it was a mistake.

• Like 2

On 09/10/2020 at 18:17, bangorballetboy said:

So had I, so you're not alone!  It was leading me to panic about booking other things, like ENB @ Sadler's Wells and a G&S concert at The Pleasance, and having booked for The Show Must Go On - Live at the Palace Theatre, so I'm very relieved now.

Just had an email from ROH saying that the invitation to apply for the ballot was sent in error! Not sure if that was just me or everyone who got the invitation to apply!

They did offer some advice like check your WiFi signal is working 🙄 or try to stream on your laptop as some are finding that successful ....so somebody was reading the comments people were making. 
Im afraid I made  snotty comment at one point after trying for an hour saying not everybody has a laptop please could you stop repeating this advice ....especially as by then people were already saying had tried this and still wasn’t working and were then getting messages saying they had too many devices running 🤔 

I probably won’t buy another one not so much because they haven’t acknowledged there was some sort of problem.. which is annoying...but because this was also a test to see if my IPad could stream this with only IOS 9.5 software...and it couldn’t and still can’t access now on catch up just get a blank screen. 
Knowing can now only get on phone it’s not really worth paying that £16 except for some very special occasion like return of dancers to the stage with live audience etc as last Friday. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MJW said:

Just had an email from ROH saying that the invitation to apply for the ballot was sent in error! Not sure if that was just me or everyone who got the invitation to apply!

Me as well - I just increased my American Friends membership but not at the UK equivalent Patron's level. In my case at least,  I think they got their membership lists crossed.  At least they apologized this time and acknowledged there was a mistake made (although they won't say what it was)  unlike last Friday when they won't even acknowledge there was a problem.  And for heavens sake if you're going to allow comments have someone answer them! 

ROH self-harm continues. 

Edited by oncnp

8 minutes ago, capybara said:

I ‘ve lost you MJW. What ballot? What for?

The Patron's team had sent out an e-mail about tickets for the upcoming live performances - to some of us in error as it turns out. 

7 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Why they can't just announce those dates publicly and help people in their planning, I'll never know.

Amen but they'd probably get the dates wrong😀

1 hour ago, MJW said:

They sent out the Patrons email to all Friends by accident on Friday by the look of things.

The good news is that we got a sneak peek at the dates for performances (w/c 2 Nov for Elite Syncopations programme and w/c 9 Nov for Golden Hour programme).

Emails seem to be a bit off target lately - supporters email both asked people to join to open up earlier booking but also shared that friends will receive season guide this week. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, alison said:

Oh, I'd thought from what had been said that Golden Hour and Elite Syncopations were on the same programme?  Presumably there's more to it than just one piece?

There will be two programs of ~ 2.5 hours with a selection of excerpts from traditional and contemporary classics  - one ending with Elite and one with WTGH

Edited by oncnp

Slightly off topic but on topic for the whole vimeo connection conversation. 

I just had the opportunity to try out the Occulus Quest VR headset which is being released onto the market this week. It's not just for gamers - the sales pitch also talks about how there's a cinema mode for viewing e.g. Netflix content, so I gave the Back on Stage performance a try. It was pretty incredible - a very realistic cinematic experience rather than feeling like you are there but an interesting tech solution to feel like you are at a cinema streaming.

• Like 1

This  just arrived. I think they've not fixed their mailing lists yet as not on the What's On site...….

The Royal Ballet in Class

Every professional ballet dancer attends a daily class to prepare their bodies for the rehearsals and performances ahead. Gain an insight into this fascinating routine by watching dancers from the Company take class on the main stage on:

Friday 6th November at 10.30am (members only)
Friday 13th November at 10.30am 

Edited by oncnp