Royal Ballet School Auditions 2020

Balletmumlife

I hope it's ok to start a thread for 2020 auditions for The Royal Ballet School. I see there is an Elmhurst thread and it's been lovely to read. We're on the audition circuit this year for year 7 and always find it helpful and supportive to find a thread with people going through the same thing. Good luck to everyone auditioning this year and big hugs to the supportive parents who ride the rollercoaster with them! X

• Like 5

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Balletmumlife - we too are on this rollercoaster ride! Not sure what is worse the audition or the waiting? My DD seems to take it all in her stride! Wishing you all the very best of luck too!

Edited by Calea
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sunrise81 said:

How long have they said for results? I hated the long wait for the JAs!

The results usually come out a few days/ a week after the last audition session... usually London. They usually come out in session order,  so Newcastle first,  if that was the 1st location.

I’m sure there is more chance for a Y7 place simply because that is a new intake of students as a year group, rather than hoping that a Y9 place will be available.

In addition, a student hoping to enter WL or any vocational school in Y9 will need to be technically proficient enough to join a class of students who will mostly have been training at WL (or another vocational school) since they were in Y7. A less experienced and less technically proficient student who has talent, musicality, the ‘right’ physique and a burning passion for dance may be successful at audition for Y7 however as to some extent all new Y7 entrants will go back to basics and will be trained in RBS style. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balletboy8 said:

Does anyone have any thoughts whether pupils have more or less chance of WL if they apply for Y9 vs Y7?

Hi, the chances are better for year 7 entry when there are 12-13 available places. Year 9, in the last few years no more than 1 or 2 new students tend to join. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, balletboy8 said:

Does anyone have any thoughts whether pupils have more or less chance of WL if they apply for Y9 vs Y7?

Definitely more chance (though still very slim, of course!) for Year 7. By Year 9 barely any spaces come available, maybe only one or two at most, and there are still plenty of hopeful dancers auditioning!

• Like 1

Can I ask how important the photos are for JA auditions? Applications open this week and my DD's dance teacher took hers today. Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist but I don't think they really show my DD in her best light but the teacher thought they were fine. Should I just relax about it and go with what the teacher thinks? How much difference do photos make? Are they just to help identify or actually make any difference to selection?

I think the photos are there to both identify your Dd and will also have some influence over the selection process although probably more of the former than the latter at JA. Experienced dancers and teachers will be able to assess ( to some degree) some of the physical aspects suitable for a ballet training. They would certainly be able to note any physical aspects not so useful. However, at JA level, they take a very wide range of physiques so I wouldn’t worry! If you trust your teacher, then I would leave it entirely up them because they will know the placing the panel are looking for. 
What is not important is the professional quality of the photo! Whether it’s taken in your living room or studio or even garden is not going to matter at this level as long as your dc’s physique is clearly visible.

10 hours ago, Millicent said:

Can I ask how important the photos are for JA auditions? Applications open this week and my DD's dance teacher took hers today. Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist but I don't think they really show my DD in her best light but the teacher thought they were fine. Should I just relax about it and go with what the teacher thinks? How much difference do photos make? Are they just to help identify or actually make any difference to selection?

I had the same issue with my dd very first JA photos. She wasn’t turned out really and knees not pulled up. My dd agreed so secretly we retook them from proper studio ones with her teacher to mine, on my mobile phone, in the garage (because it had a plain wall). She got a place.  Whether she would have with the other photos I don’t know but I didn’t want to be always thinking what if ...

(nb, I also think it’s more than identifying your child as they use them to choose summer schools, so I would say they’re adapt at potentially narrowing down the list of the pupils they want to look at in closer detail. IMO they’ll look at physique, turnout, placement, feet etc. Of course a great audition will overturn photos that don’t show it all, but I think they must have some use otherwise why isn’t it just a front on photo.) 

Edited by Balletmum55
Clarity
  • Like 1

On 15/01/2020 at 17:26, valentina said:

The results usually come out a few days/ a week after the last audition session... usually London. They usually come out in session order,  so Newcastle first,  if that was the 1st location.

Our DD auditioned in January for an SA place and we had the result in April so please don’t sit waiting for an email in the next week or so or your stress levels will rise! 

On 15/01/2020 at 17:26, valentina said:

Sorry, should have mentioned this is for those who auditioned for WL. Associate results come out later.

9 hours ago, Balletmumlife said:

Year 7 boys audition done today! All done, still smiling and now the waiting! 😜

Blimey for me and JulieW that was all of 16 years ago!!! Our sons have retired now! 

Good luck everyone, its a hell of a ride 

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 3

On 18/01/2020 at 21:42, Millicent said:

I once asked if we could send in some new photos for a JA application, as we weren't really happy with the batch - we had a very nice reply saying we couldn't send any more, but, and here's the rest of the email: 'please be reassured, for auditions the photos are not for any pre-selection but are referred to at the discussion stage only, if deemed necessary, as the young dancers are seen in person in the audition class and our panel will make judgement on how they present and perform in the studio.' 

• Like 2

Thank you so much for the replies. On balance I've decided just to submit the photos as they are. I'm very much of the mind that if they want her, they want her and a slightly more pointed toe or better turnout in the photos isn't going to affect that. Katia05 thank you so much for sharing that email it was really helpful and reassuring. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluebird22 said:

Attended Manchester auditions earlier today, I’m sure the group after were auditioning for SA, just wondering if the earliest group were mixed for year 7,8,9 or just year 9? 

My DD attends tomorrow and it states year 7 girls on the paperwork if thats any help.

2 hours ago, Bluebird22 said:

Attended Manchester auditions earlier today, I’m sure the group after were auditioning for SA, just wondering if the earliest group were mixed for year 7,8,9 or just year 9? 

I think it was year 9 and Mids.  Today was also Years 10/11 and SAs and US and AAs.

On 21/01/2020 at 08:56, Millicent said:

Thank you so much for the replies. On balance I've decided just to submit the photos as they are. I'm very much of the mind that if they want her, they want her and a slightly more pointed toe or better turnout in the photos isn't going to affect that. Katia05 thank you so much for sharing that email it was really helpful and reassuring. 

I took my DS pics on my mobile, with little clue about the positions other than the sketches provided and he got in as a JA so I'm sure they are only used as aids in discussion!

• Like 1