Royal Ballet School Auditions 2020

Balletmumlife

53 minutes ago, junedancer said:

What must also be taken into consideration as everyone goes through the audition process is this is just the start.  The anxious feeling you all have waiting for the "yes" is one you will continue to have in the coming years day in day out as they go from assessment to assessment and audition to audition.

This is so true, getting a yes at some point is just the start of the roller coaster. There's plenty more hurdles to overcome. I do remember at WL Finals they did make a point of saying think very carefully if you get a Yes, the Dance life and training is not for everyone. Like junedaner said we've had good days and bad, at least DD is still keen to dance.

• Like 1

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Newbiedancemum (in a little while you will need to change Name to seasoneddancemum!)

What a lovely good news story! And am sure this will be so heartening to so many others.... and further shows how each school has its own criteria (& of course each child may react differently in different environments & on the day) 

Huge congrats to your DD - massive achievement!

Best of luck at finals! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Newbiedancemum said:

DD never got RBS associates, and auditioning for this year for year 7 places has had no's from elmhurst and tring then we got the email to say she has made white lodge finals! Shocked is an understatement! Wishing everyone the very best of luck 🍀 

Congratulations! Our DD also got callback... so while overjoyed we’re also keeping hopes & dreams in check 🙂

Any of you lovely people here have an idea on how many girls are in the WL final audition. Any general advice would be most welcome - we’re new to the world of ballet (although its taken over much of life of course).

Best of luck to all who progressed and also to those who are on another path.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Balletdoodah said:

Congratulations! Our DD also got callback... so while overjoyed we’re also keeping hopes & dreams in check 🙂

Any of you lovely people here have an idea on how many girls are in the WL final audition. Any general advice would be most welcome - we’re new to the world of ballet (although its taken over much of life of course).

Best of luck to all who progressed and also to those who are on another path.

Two years ago there were just over 60 girls taken to finals - but I think there were less last year. They’re split into 2/3 groups and timetabled over the first day and second morning for dancing audition, physio checks, academic test and interview. Parents are then asked to return on the second lunchtime and some children will have finished and are ready to go home - these are either a definite yes or no. Those who are not released are seen again for a second dance audition as they want to check them again. All will leave without knowing the outcome (even those who are not kept back) and they will email the answer after a few days. They look to take 12/13 girls from finals as they will more than likely have 2/3 places for internationals seen elsewhere. 
This was our experience and may have changed, but I hope it helps.
Good luck to all those with finals and to those who have a not yet, there are many paths to follow your dream, so please don’t give up. 

• Like 5

The interview is very informal ( more of a chat)

about favourite academic subjects or how they think they would cope with boarding etc. The academic test is just to see if there are any glaring difficulties. It is a formality and doesn’t have any outcome on the end result.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazylife said:

Two years ago there were just over 60 girls taken to finals - but I think there were less last year. They’re split into 2/3 groups and timetabled over the first day and second morning for dancing audition, physio checks, academic test and interview. Parents are then asked to return on the second lunchtime and some children will have finished and are ready to go home - these are either a definite yes or no. Those who are not released are seen again for a second dance audition as they want to check them again. All will leave without knowing the outcome (even those who are not kept back) and they will email the answer after a few days. They look to take 12/13 girls from finals as they will more than likely have 2/3 places for internationals seen elsewhere. 
This was our experience and may have changed, but I hope it helps.
Good luck to all those with finals and to those who have a not yet, there are many paths to follow your dream, so please don’t give up. 

Thank you so very much - that gives a much clearer idea for us... especially knowing that some are released early but that doesn’t mean No. I can imagine some children could interpret that wrongly even if they’re informed it doesnt mean now by RBS.

It will be really helpful for DD’s understanding of the process & will help her self-evaluate & manage her own expectations.during and after.

Best to you

2 hours ago, valentina said:

The interview is very informal ( more of a chat)

about favourite academic subjects or how they think they would cope with boarding etc. The academic test is just to see if there are any glaring difficulties. It is a formality and doesn’t have any outcome on the end result.

Thats so helpful thank you. It makes sense that the interview would be focused on pastoral issues - we have had similar conversations between us since DD decided to apply. 

Thankyou all for the added info, helps alot to prepare as really do not know what to expect.

We haven't received any further information yet @Charliesmum 

Just wandering as we ticked for both what happens with mid associate places? Would these have been decided from the original audition? Or will they look for mid associate places at finals? Have no experience other than unsuccessful auditions previously so sorry if it sounds a silly question 🙈

Edited by Newbiedancemum

There will be a meeting for parents on arrival In the salon next to reception to explain the process, but they weren’t shown around due to students being there. You will be given a time to return to the salon on Friday and either you DC will finish at the end of the morning or you wait there if your DC is held back. 
They do tell you in the meeting that being held back or not gives no indication of the result, but it’s natural for the kids (and us) to read into it. So please reassure your DC that it’s true. And the best advice which must be hard, is to enjoy it. 

We were given a tour of the accommodation blocks and met the Housemistress. The current yr 7’s left good luck notes on their beds for anyone they knew ( maybe through JA’s or their old school etc). It was very sweet. Not sure this still happens as it was a few years ago now. It was a lovely but VERY tiring time. I would recommend packing some healthy snacks just in case they are hanging about. While they were waiting for physio etc they were supervised watching a video and got a chance to snack but as I say, this was a few years ago.

Good Luck to everyone.

2 hours ago, valentina said:

We were given a tour of the accommodation blocks and met the Housemistress. The current yr 7’s left good luck notes on their beds for anyone they knew ( maybe through JA’s or their old school etc). It was very sweet. Not sure this still happens as it was a few years ago now. It was a lovely but VERY tiring time. I would recommend packing some healthy snacks just in case they are hanging about. While they were waiting for physio etc they were supervised watching a video and got a chance to snack but as I say, this was a few years ago.

Good Luck to everyone.

Sorry I forgot - I think you’re right about a tour of the year 7 dorm. It all seems a bit of a blur now. 

3 hours ago, Crazylife said:

There will be a meeting for parents on arrival In the salon next to reception to explain the process, but they weren’t shown around due to students being there. You will be given a time to return to the salon on Friday and either you DC will finish at the end of the morning or you wait there if your DC is held back. 
They do tell you in the meeting that being held back or not gives no indication of the result, but it’s natural for the kids (and us) to read into it. So please reassure your DC that it’s true. And the best advice which must be hard, is to enjoy it. 

I was assuming we would have to collect them at the end of Thursday and bring them back Friday morning. Surely they are not staying there?

3 hours ago, Twinkletoes12 said:

Hi - has anyone heard back from Birmingham 30 Jan auditions? Just not sure if I ticked both boxes! X

I’m still waiting for this day too. 
seems unfair they start releasing results and then take a break for the rest of the week of not giving results to those still waiting.

I think London year 7 from Sunday 26th jan and Birmingham 30th still waiting. I’ve decided I think it will be next week! 😩

Thanks - I’m new to all this! My DD auditioned for SAs having never auditioned before so just not sure what to expect. Not sure I ticked both boxes either - missed a trick there! So I’m interested to know when everyone hears and wish everyone the best of luck. I suppose if I didn’t tick the box, I won’t hear until April? Who knows.......guess it’s just a waiting game now......

15 hours ago, Twinkletoes12 said:

Hi - has anyone heard back from Birmingham 30 Jan auditions? Just not sure if I ticked both boxes! X

I have read elsewhere here that you have to apply for WL and MAs or SAs separately - that is one application and set of photographs but two application fees.