Reece Clarke promoted to RB First Soloist

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Text from Graham Watts on Facebook ....

Congratulations to Reece Clarke who has been promoted to First Soloist of The Royal Ballet. 

Born in Scotland, Reece trained at The Royal Ballet School and graduated into the Company during the 2013/14 Season and was promoted to First Artist in 2016 and Soloist in 2017. Clarke grew up in Airdrie, North Lanarkshire. He trained at the Janis Ridley School of Dance in Scotland before joining The Royal Ballet School. Awards while at the School included the Young British Dancer of the Year in 2012, the Lynn Seymour Award in 2013 and an award from the Ballet Association. Awards since joining the Company have included the Emerging Artist Award at the 2016 Critics’ Circle National Dance Awards. His roles with the Company include Prince Florimund (The Sleeping Beauty), Prince (The Nutcracker), Aminta (Sylvia), Polixenes (The Winter’s Tale), Espada (Don Quixote) Des Grieux (Manon) as well as Principal roles in Concerto, After the Rain and Symphonic Variations.

Reece replaces Vadim Muntagirov as Onegin on Saturday 18 January, Friday 7 February and Wednesday 12 February. Additionally, Itziar Mendizabal replaces Lauren Cuthbertson as Tatiana on Saturday 18 January (matinee), Saturday 22 February and Saturday 29 February. On Tuesday 21st January, Saturday 8th February and Thursday 27th February Reece Clarke is replaced by Lukas Bjørneboe Brændsrød as Prince Gremin. The rest of the cast remains unchanged. 

Casting for Dances at a Gathering by Jerome Robbins has also been confirmed. On Monday 17 February, Tuesday 18 February, Tuesday 25 February and Wednesday 4 March, the cast comprises Marianela Nuñez Francesca Hayward, Yasmine Naghdi, Fumi Kaneko, Laura Morera, Alexander Campbell, William Bracewell, Federico Bonelli, Valentino Zucchetti and Luca Acri. On Friday 28 February and Wednesday 4 March, the cast comprises Sarah Lamb, Mayara Magri, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Anna Rose O’Sullivan, Tierney Tierney Heap, Marcelino Sambe, Nicol Edmonds, Reece Clarke, Benjamin Ella and James Hay

Edited by FionaE
My typo
  • Like 2

I am sure this has to do with the fact that he is going to do Onegin;  highly unusual for a promotion to happen mid-season.  I am absolutely thrilled for him;  it's way overdue. 

Very sad not to see Vadim as Onegin, but what a great opportunity for Reece. 

• Like 16

Just now, Sim said:

Very sad not to see Vadim as Onegin, but what a great opportunity for Reece. 

Vadim is a lovely dancer in absolutely everything, but somehow Reece strikes me as more suited to the character...

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, RuthE said:

Vadim is a lovely dancer in absolutely everything, but somehow Reece strikes me as more suited to the character...

I would very much rather see them both actually dance in the roles before coming to a view on that.

Delighted for Reece Clarke, but very disappointed not to see Vadim Muntagirov in Onegin.

• Like 5

Well to state the obvious, gifting a role like Onegin to anyone below Principal is usually unthinkable.  So a mere Soloist?  I’d say his promotion to First Soloist was the minimum that had to be done!  

Plus he is also performing in Japan shortly in Hikaro Kobayashi’s curated shows.  All the other participants are principals or first soloists. 

It’s going to create more of a problem for the next round of principal male promotions .... quite a few in the frame.

• Like 1

FionaE thanks for your info but you have two casts for Dances at a Gathering for 4th March!

The 4th March is the Lamb O Sullivan cast. 
Also just heard of Reece replacing Vadim on 12th Feb from ROH 

I will be disappointed not to see Vadim in this role but am equally pleased for Reece ...I think he’s going to be good in this role. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Well to state the obvious, gifting a role like Onegin to anyone below Principal is usually unthinkable.  So a mere Soloist?  I’d say his promotion to First Soloist was the minimum that had to be done!  

Plus he is also performing in Japan shortly in Hikaro Kobayashi’s curated shows.  All the other participants are principals or first soloists. 

It’s going to create more of a problem for the next round of principal male promotions .... quite a few in the frame.

Reece Clarke is not participating in the gala curated by Hikaru Kobayashi

http://www.royal-ballet-stars.jp/cast.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Naomi M said:

Reece Clarke is not participating in the gala curated by Hikaru Kobayashi

http://www.royal-ballet-stars.jp/cast.html

oh dear must be my mistake .... I was sure I’d seen that he was 🙈

ah I see he is dancing with Fumi Kaneko in Nanjing China on 29th Jan.  Not at all the same.

Edited by FionaE
More info

2 hours ago, alison said:

He was in the frame whatever his ranking, surely?  Anyway, Onegin has been danced by dancers below principal at the RB before.

Yes, when the RB first acquired Onegin, a soloist took the title role (and very good he was too)*. Subsequently, Martin Harvey was cast, in more than one run.

[* I'm sure than someone on here will be able to provide his name but I apologise for my memory lapse.]

20 minutes ago, capybara said:

Yes, when the RB first acquired Onegin, a soloist took the title role (and very good he was too)*. Subsequently, Martin Harvey was cast, in more than one run.

[* I'm sure than someone on here will be able to provide his name but I apologise for my memory lapse.]

In the first RB run of Onegin, the Onegins were Adam Cooper, Johan Kobborg, Nathan Coppen and Robert Tewsley.  Martin Harvey joined this list in the second run, six months later.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

In the first RB run of Onegin, the Onegins were Adam Cooper, Johan Kobborg, Nathan Coppen and Robert Tewsley.  Martin Harvey joined this list in the second run, six months later.

Thank you, BBB. The soloist I had in mind was Nathan Coppen.

Clarke certainly looks the part, especially in the last two photos.

I wonder whether he was in line for promotion but it got delayed when he was injured & unfortunately missed all his Romeos last season. Frankly the RB could do with another tall male First Soloist, with all the others apart from Bracewell being on the shorter side!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2