Royal Ballet (ROH) season announcement 2019/20

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful to see mention of a 'new Marston' ... 'About time' I can hear a goodly many mutter .... Also note that the number '24' has disappeared from Ratmansky's Preludes ... It had much to recommend it in its first go ... but (I felt) did over-reach.  It notes that it is to be 're-imagined'.  This sounds a good move - especially given all the stellar young talents that now abound in the Company.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

I can’t believe they are reviving the dire Live Fire Excercise.  As it’s with Corybantic Games, unless the tbc is something amazing I will be saving money on this bill!  

Very happy about many of the other ones.  

• Like 5

Interesting to note that there will be no major guest (Russian or otherwise) ballet company in Summer 2020 ... as opera extends through August (new tradition???).   With the Coliseum showing the musical Hairspray between April and end July 2020 it suggests limited London opportunity for such.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Wonder if that (e.g., Manon) might mark Watson's farewell?  Assume Oneign will be Soares'.    Wonder too if the latter might mark any other farewells.   Will Osipova dance with Hallberg in that as she did in Munich?  Part of me hopes not - although at the LBC talk last night he seemed to suggest that there would be other such jointures on the horizon.  'The Royal ballet gave me Osipova' he said.  It's just that there are so many fine Company rising talents at the moment.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

I'm at one with Bruce Wall in saying "About time" at the news that Cathy Marston has her first main-stage commission for next February.  Her subject is, no surprise, another strong female one in Jacqueline du Pré and, as so often before, I note that Edward Kemp will be involved in creating the scenario.  Philip Feeney has also served her well before in developing scores for her work, and the interest here will no doubt be in incorporating significant cello pieces.  And does the RB have a dancer who might cope with a bit of the Elgar Concerto, for example?

• Like 8

No Fille 🙁 but Coppélia and Beauty will be nice.  I’ll go and see Swan Lake again (and hope, probably unsuccessfully, that the ending has been changed).  

Very very happy that Onegin is back! 👏

• Like 1

On 12/05/2019 at 23:47, Ian Macmillan said:

If I recall aright, in recent years DanceTabs has tweeted the main points as the briefing continued, and I dare say he may do so once again.

I was due to be there but alas will not - I got back from Leicester and the Matt Bourne R&J premiere gone 1AM  and too shattered to leave home for ROH at 06:30. Pathetic I know!

Good work from 'oncnp' means there is not so much to discover now.  Have tweeted and credited. And included a screenshot for posterity!

• Like 4