Royal Ballet (ROH) season announcement 2019/20

Is Doncaster a tour or just a one-off gala? Sorry, I didn't trawl through the press release but read some articles which suggested a gala. I hope to be corrected! The gala in Hull a couple of years ago was impossible for the general public to get tickets for. 

• Like 1

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been waiting for the single word Onegin in the Royal ballet seasonal announcement for what seems like forever and it's here at last! Christmas has come early! That said I'm still disappointed at no cinema broadcast. I didn't really expect one because of the control Reid Anderson exerts over the ballet but it seems such a shame when you imagine all the fabulous potential RB performances of it there will be. Still the main thing is it isn't vanishing from the RB rep and will hopefully be performed by them for many years to come. 

As regards the rest of the programme I am rather underwhelmed. Though I thought the same a couple of years back and still enjoyed some fabulous performances of ballets I wasn't initially bothered about seeing but saw some stunning debut performances. No doubt it will be the same this year. 

Like many others hugely disappointed at the lack of Ashton. Difficult to understand as his ballets sell so well, unlike more modern triples. The current modern bill was showing many unsold seats until recently and I don't know how many of the expensive sold ones are student reductions. They wouldn't have this problem with Ashton.

Also re programming apart from Sleeping beauty, Swan Lake and Coppelia there doesn't seem many ballets where you can see 2 ballets for one overnight stay, something important for us non Londoners. It makes all the difference to see more than one ballet for your hotel visit though of course casting is important too. 

Finally I was very disappointed no mention was made of Margot Fonteyn in any of the briefings. I'd hoped they would repeat and film Sylvia as a belated tribute but not to be. I think it is disgraceful that our only prima ballerina assoluta is treated so shabbily as just to have a seemingly unplanned gala as her only tribute. Has the programme even been announced yet? 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Finally I was very disappointed no mention was made of Margot Fonteyn in any of the briefings. I'd hoped they would repeat and film Sylvia as a belated tribute but not to be. I think it is disgraceful that our only prima ballerina assoluta is treated so shabbily as just to have a seemingly unplanned gala as her only tribute. Has the programme even been announced yet? 

Not as far as I know.  I've been mulling over returning my ticket for the Gala actually as I could do with freeing up the cash for the new season (there are 6 operas to 2 ballets I want to see which throws my usual budget out slightly!) and I'm seeing R&J the weekend before and The Firebird triple bill the weekend after anyway.

Finally Coppélia! It’s been so long since I last saw it- predates when RB last had it on. Only Ashton’s Cinderella remains- don’t know when they last danced it but I last saw it in 2010. 

Happy with all of the full length ballets- for those shown recently I will prob choose one cast carefully and squeeze in cinema if I can. Having seen Francesca Hayward in place of Laura Morera I wonder if i will get to see her this season. Swan Lake has to be Naghdi/Ball. Naghdi was perfection last season. 

Looking forward to the Ashton/MacMillan/Nureyev triple and also to seeing Onegin for the first time. 

Imtrigued to see what the impact of no Nutcracker will have on speed of sales.

I think I'm happier about next season's rep than most of the comments above because, not having seen much ballet until this season, I've not seen many of the pieces before, or at least not the RB versions. I think Manon (which I loved in ENB's version in January) & Onegin (love the opera & the recent Stuttgart telecast) will certainly require repeat viewing. Sleeping Beauty & Swan Lake I might settle for once each, depending on how tempting the casting turns out to be, as I'm not so keen on them as pieces. Coppelia I've never seen before so again it'll probably depend on the casting (I'm already thinking I'd love it if they cast Magri/Campbell after their Don Q). The two "traditional" triple bills look prominsing but I'll be skipping the modern one. I also suspect the Marston/Scarlett double bill may be too modern for my taste & I'm sure the McGregor full length will be. I'm very pleased that, due to the length of runs, I won't miss anything completely when I'm away for 3 weeks in November. As there are also 5 operas I want to see it's going to get rather expensive!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Some price indications are now visible....

Manon up to £110

Sleeping Beauty up to £145

Coppelia up to £120

Concerto/Raymonda III/Enigma Variations up to £75......

Beauty at £145?!? Just as well I don’t particularly like that ballet. Presumably Swan Lake will be the same, or even higher. 

I find it deeply puzzling as to why the RB continue to relegate its Ashton legacy (surely its greatest legacy?) to a handful of performances. Coming to ballet from a contemporary dance background, I completely understand the need for new work & am impressed they will be exploring Cunningham. Look forward to the new McGregor full length, as well as revival of Scarlett’s Symphonic Dances. But it seems that some really significant Ashton works (Daphnis/ Cinderella especially) are in danger of being forgotten. 

Does there *have* to be both Manon and Onegin (glad though I am to see the latter back on ROH stage)? It might be more interesting to have another look at Prince of the Pagodas if there must be a MacMillan full length. (But why must there? There doesn’t seem to be the same requirement for Ashton).

Have we not also recently seen Concerto (admittedly not danced by the RB itself)? There are other MacMillan one act Ballet’s which have been seen less recently.

I wonder when we will see some Najinska again. Perhaps a triple bill of DeValois, Marston & Najinska?

Glad to see Coppélia (although both as a performer and audience member have always found it a bill dull, actually). But glad that it’s still in the active repertoire. 

Maybe this is what happens when ticket revenues begin to be of greater concern but surely we should strive for such a company to be more than that? 

Sorry for any spelling errors! 

• Like 9

Sorry, where is the information? I can't find it on the ROH website. I have read on this forum that the the full lengths are:

Manon, Beauty, Coppelia, Swan Lake, Onegin and a new full-length McGregor 

and that the doubles/triples are 

Concerto/Enigma/Raymonda

Marston/Scarlett

Tombeaux/Symphonic Dances/Preludes

Live Fire Exercise and ?

Is that it? 

8 minutes ago, Ianlond said:

I find it deeply puzzling as to why the RB continue to relegate its Ashton legacy (surely its greatest legacy?) to a handful of performances. Coming to ballet from a contemporary dance background, I completely understand the need for new work & am impressed they will be exploring Cunningham................................................................................................................. But it seems that some really significant Ashton works (Daphnis/ Cinderella especially) are in danger of being forgotten. 

Does there *have* to be both Manon and Onegin (glad though I am to see the latter back on ROH stage)? It might be more interesting to have another look at Prince of the Pagodas if there must be a MacMillan full length. (But why must there? There doesn’t seem to be the same requirement for Ashton).

Have we not also recently seen Concerto (admittedly not danced by the RB itself)? There are other MacMillan one act Ballet’s which have been seen less recently.

I wonder when we will see some Nijinska again. 

Very good points.  Thought the same myself.

59 minutes ago, Darlex said:

Sorry, where is the information? I can't find it on the ROH website. I have read on this forum that the the full lengths are:

Manon, Beauty, Coppelia, Swan Lake, Onegin and a new full-length McGregor 

and that the doubles/triples are 

Concerto/Enigma/Raymonda

Marston/Scarlett

Tombeaux/Symphonic Dances/Preludes

Live Fire Exercise and ?

Is that it? 

Yes, in the main house. (The last bill includes Corybantic Games plus a tbc.)  There are several posts above that give links to the info on the website, the calendar and the press release, so I haven't tried to find them separately.

Not impressed with the booking dates, unnecessarily tight schedule for 3 of the levels. No time to find alternative date when your originally planned dates don't work out and one of you is dead busy in your allocated 24hr window. You might even have the pleasure of fighting with a very busy, badly designed website 2 days in a row. Joy. I'm considering swapping ballet for macramé, much less hassle (I presume, never having tried the latter)

• Premium 2 Friends: 2 July 2019
  • Premium 1 Friends: 3 July 2019
  • Supporting Friends: 4 July 2019
  • Friends+: 9 July 2019
  • Friends and Young Friends Packages: 10 July 2019
  • Friends and Young Friends: 11 July 2019
  • Friends Rehearsals: 18 July 2019
  • Daytime events booking for all members: 7 August 2019
Edited by Coated
  • Like 3

The ROH website is not  properly  showing Insights for the new season.

However  the Autumn Season magazine lists:

New Pam Tanowitz     30/09/19    7:30-9pm   Clore Studio   £11-£20

RB in rehearsal             14/10/19    7:30-9pm   Clore Studio   £11-£20

Coppelia                        12/11/19    7:30-9pm   Clore Studio   £11-£20

The Sleeping Beauty   18/11/19     7:30-9pm   Clore Studio   £11-£20

Have I got this summary correct. It comes to something when it has to be a DIY job:

Manon 2 Oct.- 6 Nov

Cunningham Centenary/Ashton/Tanowitz (Linbury) 10 – 11 Oct.

Dance Umbrella (Linbury)  24 – 26 Oct.

Concerto / Enigma Variations / Raymonda 22 Oct – 20 Dec. Cinema 5 Nov

Northern Ballet (Linbury) 5 – 7 Nov

Little Red Riding Hood (Linbury) 8 – 10 Nov

The Sleeping Beauty  7 Nov – 16 Jan Cinema 16 Jan

Coppelia 28 Nov – 7 Jan. Cinema 10 Dec

Onegin 18 Jan – 29 Feb

Aisha and Abhaya (Linbury) (RB and Rambert) 21 Jan – 9 Feb

Acosta Danza (Linbury) 14 – 24 Feb.

New Marston/New Scarlett 17 Feb – 4 March Cinema 25 Feb.

Swan Lake 5 March – 16 May Cinema 1 April

International Draft Works (Linbury) 19 – 24 March

Live Fire Exercise/Corybantic Games/TBC 2 – 20 April

The Dante Project 6 May – 1 June Cinema 28 May

Heritage- with BRB (Linbury) 14 – 19 May

Tombeaux/Preludes/Symphonic Dances 3 – 13 June

Young Talent Festival (Linbury and Paul Hamlyn Hall) 16 June – 5 July

Royal Ballet School Summer Performance 11 July

• Like 4

Sorry if someone has already picked this up, but I’ve just realised how little Wheeldon there’ll be next year compared to recent seasons: just Corybantic Games and the Sleeping Beauty Garland Dance, unless I’ve overlooked something.

(As I’ve mentioned elsewhere he’s not my favourite choreographer, so I’m not sad, just interested.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Sorry if someone has already picked this up, but I’ve just realised how little Wheeldon there’ll be next year compared to recent seasons: just Corybantic Games and the Sleeping Beauty Garland Dance, unless I’ve overlooked something.

Saw him, and Joby Talbot, in ROH the other evening - perhaps they are gathering forces for a new work for the 20-21 season

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

so - now £20. I was put off at £17, so will only now see the streamed ones for sure

My thoughts exactly, Dave.  The insights have got shorter and shorter, and the prices higher and higher.  At least the quality generally seems to have picked up fairly recently.

I'm starting to visualize a future without the ROH in it much at all - am not liking what I'm seeing :( 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Coated said:

Not impressed with the booking dates, unnecessarily tight schedule for 3 of the levels. No time to find alternative date when your originally planned dates don't work out and one of you is dead busy in your allocated 24hr window. You might even have the pleasure of fighting with a very busy, badly designed website 2 days in a row. Joy. I'm considering swapping ballet for macramé, much less hassle (I presume, never having tried the latter)

• Premium 2 Friends: 2 July 2019
  • Premium 1 Friends: 3 July 2019
  • Supporting Friends: 4 July 2019
  • Friends+: 9 July 2019
  • Friends and Young Friends Packages: 10 July 2019
  • Friends and Young Friends: 11 July 2019
  • Friends Rehearsals: 18 July 2019
  • Daytime events booking for all members: 7 August 2019

I am thanking the stars that my 17 hours of flying is scheduled for the day AFTER my 24 hour booking window!  But it could easily have been otherwise, and if, heaven forbid, one has to call (say, to exchange a ticket), it’s a much smaller window (and I’d predict, with calls compressed into that shorter window, even longer wait times...)

I never saw The House, but I believe there were some schoolchildren who sent something saying how they HATED the ROH?  What with one thing after another, I find my feelings heading in that direction.

As for the RB’s new season, I am among the many dismayed by the minimal Ashton.  

I look forward to seeing the Coppélia again with the benefit of now having seen Sergei Vikharev’s gorgeous Petipa reconstruction and Pierre Lacotte’s charming French one.  I look forward even more to the fall’s triple bill, and, at the end of the season, to another chance to see Tombeaux. I did not think 24 Preludes was among Ratmansky’s best work, and am curious to see its reimagining.

(Many) years ago, the Royal Ballet had productions of Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake that I loved unreservedly.  I find the current productions far less satisfactory, but hope to see one or two dancers I admire newly cast in key roles in the classical repertoire.

I’ve seen brilliant performances elsewhere in Onegin recently, but I welcome the chance to see the RB’s new generation tackle its challenges.

Manon at the beginning of next season seems to me to be too much too soon, and I don’t think I’ll be doing much pond-crossing for the other programs.

Edited by now voyager
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, now voyager said:

I’ve seen brilliant performances elsewhere in Onegin recently, but I welcome the chance to see the RB’s new generation tackle its challenges.

That might not be the case, alas! I can envisage more farewells than debuts.

I received my Friends Autumn and Season Guides today, lovely to be able to have actual printed booklets, and they have advised me of the ways I can dispose of the new "compostable potato starch" wrap, made me laugh out loud. The real excitement comes from Onegin and the new full length Dante Project, but I suppose casting will liven it up, also glad The Nutcracker has been rested, all 3 Tchaikovsky full length ballets would have been too much!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beryl H said:

I received my Friends Autumn and Season Guides today, lovely to be able to have actual printed booklets, and they have advised me of the ways I can dispose of the new "compostable potato starch" wrap, made me laugh out loud. 

To be fair to them, I was really impressed with this and it went straight into my food caddy as a liner.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sim said:

I think she was Swanilda....

She was and I think Thiago was her Franz (before he was a Principal)

I have just checked my spreadsheet and it must have been before 2007 as its not on my spreadsheet for performances I have seen which I started in 2007.  Wow I really thought it was 2007 or 2009. 

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Don Q Fan said:

I have just checked my spreadsheet and it must have been before 2007 as its not on my spreadsheet for performances I have seen which I started in 2007.  Wow I really thought it was 2007 or 2009. 

I last  saw the company do it in 2000!

3 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

Here's the list from the Performance Database.  

http://www.rohcollections.org.uk/production.aspx?production=1929&row=1

The last performances were, indeed, in 2006.  If you click on each date you'll find the scheduled cast for that performance.  The database doesn't, however, always show last minute cast changes so it's not 100% accurate.