Royal Ballet (ROH) season announcement 2019/20

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Why no Woolf Works?  It is a winner and sold well both seasons.  Wanted to see Watson and Ball together again.  Sigh.

probably because McGregor doing a new full length evening of Dante's Inferno. Which may be hell for some....

(also Live Fire Exercise is on too)

• Like 3

So, 24 Beauty's and 25 Swan Lakes (including some school and welcome matinees admittedly) plus 17 Coppelias around the festive season, all at near top dollar - looks a bit like a coffers refilling exercise after Frankenstein's student giveaway 🙂

• Like 9

Just now, zxDaveM said:

probably because McGregor doing a new full length evening of Dante's Inferno. Which may be hell for some....

(also Live Fire Exercise is on too)

Presumably  Live Fire Exercise is a warm-up for Dante's Inferno? 

• Like 4

Does anyone know roughly when casting is announced? It would make sense that they should announce before Friends booking so can we presume Autumn casting to be announced late June?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Wonder if that (e.g., Manon) might mark Watson's farewell?  

I'm hoping not - I've had him pencilled in for something later on in the season for months.

26 minutes ago, David said:

My first reaction was that allow the entire programme to go up hours before the official press conference, particularly since it is being widely shared across social media, was breathtakingly incompetent. Now I'm thinking that perhaps it shows a more relaxed approach. If so, I welcome it. After all, this is supposed to be an age of transparency.

That interpretation doesn't fit very easily with the press 'embargo' until 11am.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Why no Woolf Works?  It is a winner and sold well both seasons.  Wanted to see Watson and Ball together again.  Sigh.

We have known for some time that there would be a new full length McGregor in the 19/20 season (an extract is being performed by the RB on tour in LA this July).   I really don't think there's room in the RB season for two McGregor full length pieces.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

That’s a very generous interpretation :)

Continuing in the same generous spirit, I'm also beginning to think that the extended delay in releasing the programme might be due to an effort to loosen Kasper Holten's death grip on future planning. There are a couple of unexpected things/changes on the opera side that the rumour mill wasn't expecting. Butyou're right Lizbie1 - I'm probably just kidding myself.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

As others, I am disappointed about virtual absence of Ashton... I would have liked La Fille, and  The Dream

So would I.....those are two ballets I could happily see every year.   I am also very surprised that we get less than two hours' worth of Ashton ballets the whole season.  His ballets always sell well, so I wonder why their Founder Choreographer is being ignored?  I mean, much as I love Manon, we have only just had it.  Why put it on again so soon when it didn't even sell that well last time around??   Why couldn't we at least get Rhapsody or Symphonic Variations as part of a triple bill???  

• Like 15

Bit of a mixed bag for me overall - I will no doubt see my fair share of Beauty's and Swan Lakes (casting dependent), a few Coppelias (again, depending on the casts), but won't be going overboard on these. Probably be at a good few Manon and Onegins, and will initially go to a good few of the new McGregor - unless its awful after first couple of viewings when I'd sell any (but hoping that's not the case!). Of the mixed bills, the first one has one of my favourite MacMillans in Concerto, one of my least fave Ashton's in Enigma, and the marvellous Raymonda (act 3). The double of new ones from Scarlett and Marston a must, as is the Tombeaux/Sym Dances/Preludes. The final mixed in April (Live Fire etc) I'm probably in a minority as I quite like. 

I make that only 11 different evenings, rather than the usual 12 - am I missing something? Or, are they counting the Linbury shows as part of the scene?

In the Linbury, hope to catch the mixed bill with MonotonesII (though I always preferred MonotonesI), Northern Ballet even though it clashes so horribly with the main stage, and the International Draft Works (which seems expanded this year) out of curiosity if nothing else, as didn't enjoy it much this year. I'm sure there is more to come from this location - and the Clore of course.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sim said:

I mean, much as I love Manon, we have only just had it.  Why put it on again so soon when it didn't even sell that well last time around??   Why couldn't we at least get Rhapsody or Symphonic Variations as part of a triple bill???  

and quite a few shows too (14 I think) - perhaps Kevin trying to get those dancers who missed out last time, a go at it...

The following is in the press release:  

"The Royal Ballet joins forces with Birmingham Royal Ballet in a Heritage programme capturing the unique history of the Company and the extraordinary choreographic creativity of Ninette de Valois, Frederick Ashton and Kenneth MacMillan." 

Has anyone seen any details of this 'Heritage' programme?  I've not been able to find it.

Edited to add that they might be referring to the Concerto/Enigma Variations/Raymonda Act III mixed bill but that bill doesn't have any Ninette de Valois choreography.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

"The Royal Ballet joins forces with Birmingham Royal Ballet in a Heritage programme capturing the unique history of the Company and the extraordinary choreographic creativity of Ninette de Valois, Frederick Ashton and Kenneth MacMillan." 

Has anyone seen any details of this 'Heritage' programme?  I've not been able to find it.

Edited to add that they might be referring to the Concerto/Enigma Variations/Raymonda Act III mixed bill but that bill doesn't have any Ninette de Valois choreography.

perhaps that's my missing 12th programme. Perhaps they are doing in Birmingham? (high level of speculation there)

9 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

No - strange because it's almost the first thing mentioned re the RB's new season. Perhaps it's being performed in Birmingham? In which case why highlight it like this?

I really really don't want Ashton (or MacMillan) to be classed as a 'Heritage' choreographer. He may have died, but his work is living and breathing (when it's given the opportunity to do so).

• Like 8

Clicking on the link marked "Explore the 19/20 season in full", or something of that sort, unfortunately doesn't lead to the press releases, but only to the dreaded "Tickets and Events" page on the website.  I guess "If you want to find out, do all the work yourself" applies :( 

From the Press Release:

Heritage

The Royal Ballet and guest companies

Choreography includes works by Frederick Ashton, Kenneth MacMillan

Generous philanthropic support from the Patrons of Covent Garden

The identity of The Royal Ballet – and of ballet in Britain and the world – has been shaped through more than eighty years by the extraordinary choreographic creativity of Ninette de Valois, Frederick Ashton and Kenneth MacMillan. A complement to the more familiar performances of works by these three figures on the Main Stage, this programme brings that heritage into the intimate space of the Linbury Theatre, performed by companies including The Royal Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet.

Performances: 14–19 May 2020, Linbury Theatre

14 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Sadly not - I think this wording is extremely misleading with only one de Valois (and that is a "production" rather than own choreography), one Ashton and two Macmillan.  And indeed, what is meant by "joining forces with Birmingham Royal Ballet" - am at a loss.  

As someone has also mentioned on this thread, so wish they would announce casting (as had been previous practice before KOH) - at the very steep prices for Beauty, Swan Lake and Coppelia, one would like to know who one is booking up for!!!!  I would assume there will be a number of exciting debuts coming up, so hope the casts are announced ahead of booking.  

3 minutes ago, Saodan said:

From the Press Release:

Heritage

The Royal Ballet and guest companies

Choreography includes works by Frederick Ashton, Kenneth MacMillan

Generous philanthropic support from the Patrons of Covent Garden

The identity of The Royal Ballet – and of ballet in Britain and the world – has been shaped through more than eighty years by the extraordinary choreographic creativity of Ninette de Valois, Frederick Ashton and Kenneth MacMillan. A complement to the more familiar performances of works by these three figures on the Main Stage, this programme brings that heritage into the intimate space of the Linbury Theatre, performed by companies including The Royal Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet.

Performances: 14–19 May 2020, Linbury Theatre

Oh great, the Linbury.  With its lousy views from the cheaper seats and standing places :( 

26 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

de Valois' Coppelia perhaps? Although this doesn't make sense in the quoted section from the press release above, this wouldn't be surprising these days...