Royal Ballet (ROH) season announcement 2019/20

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the seating plan working for anyone? I can see price bands, but not which seats they correspond to.

It looks like something is going on with the pricing for Manon. Some significant reductions for mid range tickets compared to 2018? All depends on which seats are in which price bands.

2018: 105, 100, 98, 92, 80, 64, 56, 36, 25, 19, 9, 6

2019: 110, 105, 95, 85, 67, 50, 37, 30, 25, 18, 9, 5

Sleeping Beauty has an additional price band: 13 rather than 12. The new one is the £145 top band. The other 12 price bands are broadly similar to R&J, if increased a bit. I wonder what seats will move into the new price band and the effects this will have lower down. 

R&J 18: ..., 130, 124, 115, 106, 85, 74, 58, 40, 28, 21, 11, 8

2019: 145, 138, 131, 122, 115, 98, 82, 66, 45, 30, 21, 11, 8

Pricing for Concerto and Coppelia increased from comparable programmes this year, but otherwise nothing out of the ordinary. 

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 1

Apart from Chris Shipman summary, I can't find other information about the season on their website, obviously other people have. Thank you once again Balletcoforum.com for keeping me in the loop. Happy about the return of one or two pieces (Tombeaux, Enigma, Concerto, Raymonda, Coppelia, Beauty), not too bothered about the rest. A pity that no more has been done for the Fonteyn centenary. If Ondine hasn't returned now then I doubt we will see it again.  

Edited by Darlex

36 minutes ago, alison said:

Excuse me while I go and vomit ...

They're touring to ... Doncaster :) 

'So, if in future you would just send the cheque, thus making room for newcomers (assorted, we have no idea who they are but know we want them) you would be even more vital to the magic.'

Mind how you go, but just in case, remember us in your Will.

2 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

It's a press release that sets out the productions in chronological order...

True, but using headers to create bookmarks is just good form when creating pdfs, and if they decided that chrological order is most important as a category, they should have added the date right below the header instead of at the bottom of each entry. Yeah, I know, nitpicking to some degree, but I'm also amazed at their new-found inability to represent information well.

I'm not holding my breath on getting a better document than this press release tbh, so next seasons planning will probably require my own spreadsheet for seasons and dates.

Very happy to see Onegin and I've not seen the RB Coppelia before, so nice to have something new to look forward to.

I really hope that the Dante will come from the same well of inspiration as Woolf Works - fingers crossed.

Is is certain that there will be no russian guest company for 2020?

Edited by Coated
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Saodan said:

Sleeping Beauty has an additional price band: 13 rather than 12. The new one is the £145 top band. The other 12 price bands are broadly similar to R&J, if increased a bit. I wonder what seats will move into the new price band and the effects this will have lower down. 

R&J 18: ..., 130, 124, 115, 106, 85, 74, 58, 40, 28, 21, 11, 8

2019: 145, 138, 131, 122, 115, 98, 82, 66, 45, 30, 21, 11, 8

Gulp.  Does this mean that seats which a couple of years ago were floating around just under the £30 mark are now costing £66? :( 

6 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Interesting to note that there will be no major guest (Russian or otherwise) ballet company in Summer 2020 ... as opera extends through August (new tradition???).   With the Coliseum showing the musical Hairspray between April and end July 2020 it suggests limited London opportunity for such.  

14 minutes ago, Coated said:

Is it certain that there will be no russian guest company for 2020?

I'm not sure where you got that information, Bruce.  Here's the calendar for July:

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/calendar/2020/07

The opera season appears to end July 21 and doesn't seem to extend into August.

Currently nothing is showing for August:  https://www.roh.org.uk/events/calendar/2020/08

......but the dates of the Russian guest companies have never appeared in the initial Royal Opera/Royal Ballet season announcement.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Douglas Allen said:

My initial reaction is one of disappointment, with more than a tinge of shock and anger.

The bias in favour of the full-length ballets at the expense of mixed bills continues to grow, so that the number of works being performed in the season continues being reduced and we, the audience, get fewer chances to experience the diversity of choreographic creativity.

I assume the new Marston must be expected to be of some significant length as it is part of a double (rather than a triple) bill.

I'm appalled that the only Ashton choreography on the main stage in the coming season is the 35 minutes or so of Enigma. The absence of any Balanchine (and is there any Robbins either?) is just as deplorable.

I notice the last performance of the season for the Royal Ballet appears to be an 11.30 Saturday matinee on 13 June. I can't recall if a tour has been announced - has it?

There are also quite a number of evenings, especially in the 2020 part of the season when there aren't performances on the main stage. It doesn't look, from the adjacent rep as if it is due to stage rehearsals - I can only assume that the main auditorium is being rented out for other occasions - does anyone know?

In general, what is in the season seems quite a reasonable bunch of ballets and I wouldn't disagree with any of them, I just feel that there should be fewer performances of a number of the shows and additional works (particularly one-acters) should be added. I know this adds to rehearsal costs, but the Royal Ballet should be more than simply putting on long runs of big narrative ballets. Both the company and the audience deserve better.

Totally agree Douglas.  I know the company does need to move forward and have new works created but it seems to the detriment of losing so many of the wonderful works in the rep.  The number of programmes is being reduced each season and I really think there needs to be two additional mixed programmes showing Macmillan, Ashton, Balanchine, Robbins, etc.  The one saving grace is the  wonderful programme of Concerto, Enigma and Raymonda - hooray!!!!  

• Like 3

Disappointed with the information (or lack of it) for the coming season.  Managed to find a list of ballets - checked pricing, but id does not work correctly.  This season the 'not on sale - more information' button lead to a Pricing Plan.  You could click on a price range and then an individual price to see what seats are available (coloured red)  - doesn't seem to work now!

I hope more information is available later- I used to find the listings of what is one and when for each booking very useful.  I did find my way to the old calendar - there seem to be a few mistakes - the concerto/enigma/raymonda is listed twice for each appearance!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Nice to see 3 full lengths in each of booking periods 1 and 2.  Nothing like front loading...

There is  some seasonal front loading , although I make it 3 listed under  "Autumn"  (Manon, The Sleeping Beauty, and Coppelia), 2 in "Winter" (Onegin and Swan Lake) and 1 in "Spring"  (the Dante Project). Also  under the normal concept of "seasons"  one  would define  Coppelia (28 Nov to 07 Jan) as  Winter, and  Swan Lake (05 March to 16 May) as Spring, which evens things out somewhat in terms of attending, if not so much in terms of booking. 

1 minute ago, Richard LH said:

There is  some seasonal front loading , although I make it 3 listed under  "Autumn"  (Manon, The Sleeping Beauty, and Coppelia), 2 in "Winter" (Onegin and Swan Lake) and 1 in "Spring"  (the Dante Project). Also  under the normal concept of "seasons"  one  would define  Coppelia (28 Nov to 07 Jan) as  Winter, and  Swan Lake (05 March to 16 May) as Spring, which evens things out somewhat in terms of attending, if not so much in terms of booking. 

Sorry, I had counted the Marston/Scarlett double as a full length.  My bad.  It still means the front loading of payments through the year though (about 3/4 of the total performances are in the first 2 booking periods).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

It still means the front loading of payments through the year though (about 3/4 of the total performances are in the first 2 booking periods).

The same goes for the opera season where performances are generally much more expensive. Can't really complain though - all the major companies are doing it to fund their up-coming productions. If you want to get tickets these days you have to be prepared to forward-book big time!

1 minute ago, alison said:

Yep.  Would be even nicer if I can afford to sit down for it :) 

I'm usually a "cheapest seat on the bench" girl, but I'll definitely spring for decent seats for Onegin. My girlfriend's never seen it before and I'm dying to introduce her to my favourite ballet.

6 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

and quite a few shows too (14 I think) - perhaps Kevin trying to get those dancers who missed out last time, a go at it...

Let's hope so -  would be nice to have some new Manons and Des Grieux. 

Very happy that the Ratmansky 24 Preludes is being revived. Will be interesting to see how he reworks it and with which dancers given that  many of the original cast have left.  

• Like 1

Having had a good browse of what productions the Royal Ballet are putting on for 19/20 I am interested in seeing Coppélia, I have never seen the ballet in full and it's one I am unfamiliar with, the triple bill of Concerto/Enigma Variations/Raymonda Act III looks good too.

Would love to see Onegin again, saw that a good few years ago (and was my first trip to the Royal Opera House) and would be nice to get a refresh

Manon and The Sleeping Beauty are ones I've been before so would depend on cast but happy to see them there and I really would like to see the new (well not new now) Swan Lake production as I saw it in the cinema last time around! (and that would possibly depend on cast as well) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluebird said:

I'm not sure where you got that information, Bruce.  Here's the calendar for July:

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/calendar/2020/07

Not sure.  It was this morning and I was - as usual - doing a couple of things at once.  Think I had scrolled down ... and just saw the little 'August' ... and imagined those were the dates.  I was excited I must confess by the listing of Netrebko in Tosca :) ... 

That said I have a feeling that If the Mariinsky WERE coming to the ROH in Summer 2020 we would have heard SOMETHING by now - as these things are usually planned so far in advance.  There's part of me that thinks this summer's Bolshoi sojourn might well be the end of the Hochhauser era - understandably.  They have done extraordinary work such as we have all benefited from.  It will be interesting to see if anyone picks their mighty balle up - and - if they do - how they might manipulate/dribble it.  It would be wonderful if they might consider other (non-Russian) international companies.  

Nothing stays still of course ... even after announcements have been made it seems.  Last summer Les Estes de la Danse proudly announced in their Paris programmes (I can remember Shiela C kindly pointing this out to me) that this summer (e.g., 2019) they would present both the Australian Ballet and Hong Kong Ballet in various rep at La Seine Musicale.  They even announced later - and this was confirmed as late as World Ballet Day - that the Australian Ballet would be doing Sleeping Beauty and The Merry Widow.  I have just now looked at Les Estes de la Danse' s website (as I hadn't heard anything about this for a bit) and neither of those companies are now anywhere to be seen.  NOW they are ONLY showing Carmen (7-18 July at the Theatre Mogador) performed by Jose Martinez's  (late of POB) National Dance Company of Spain.  

https://www.lesetesdeladanse.com/en

Fingers crossed for DNB (Cinderella) and ENB (Kahn's Giselle) in Summer 2020 at the Chatalet.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

It’s the “Heritage” (awful word) mixed bill I’m most interested in, and it’s the one we have least information about so far - has anyone heard anything more about it?

Aren't all the ballets, except the brand new ones, part of RB's heritage come to that?

It seems almost a holding-at-arms-length definition....but why?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

It’s the “Heritage” (awful word) mixed bill I’m most interested in, and it’s the one we have least information about so far - has anyone heard anything more about it?

Just thinking - perhaps this programme is somehow tied in with the June 2020 dance festival which BRB have semi-announced.

9 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Some price indications are now visible....

Manon up to £110

Sleeping Beauty up to £145

Coppelia up to £120

Concerto/Raymonda III/Enigma Variations up to £75......

😮Spits tea out say whaaaat!!! Ouch! 

• Like 2

Sigh why didn't ROH list the opera and ballet separately on the press release and finish with a calendar of all performances on the back pages. 

Great to see Onegin back and the new Swan Lake which I've yet to see live. Coppelia, Manon and SB I will probably pass if those prices are correct.   

Typically they've got a good triple in June with, I am presuming, very few performances again just like this year's triple so another bun fight for tickets. 

Doncaster tour - not the most obvious place, but it's up north so that's good.

No Balanchine. Virtually no Main Stage Ashton. Very disappointing.

That's me off to Europe for Balanchine✈️

• Like 4