• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, bridiem said:

And Alice, I think.

Isn't this Alice Opera?

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/4fxcy

13 minutes ago, oncnp said:

JohnS found the calendar. More important I think. 

I only looked at calendar when you’d posted a link to mixed bills and the programme was being loaded.  I’ve got calendar bookmarked as it’s so useful and I just hope the website eventually provides a direct link.

Small point but very welcome to see the Royal Ballet School Annual Performance back to Saturday 12:00 - Sunday travel is hopeless for trying to attend a matinee from Cumbria (and many places I guess).

Edited by JohnS
Sorry - posts crossed
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Why does the Royal BALLET celebrate Cunningham, the most 'contemporary', non-balletic choreographer you can imagine, and ignore Balanchine??!

Having said which - I can't see that bill mentioned now - ?

29 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Isn't this Alice Opera?

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/4fxcy

I only looked at calendar when you’d posted a link to mixed bills and the programme was being loaded.  I’ve got calendar bookmarked as it’s so useful and I just hope the website eventually provides a direct link.

I think the website lists productions here (with thanks to RichardLH who provided this weblink in another thread):

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions?_ga=2.139804410.835951387.1553237162-1432497339.1553237162

Edited by Josephine
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I can’t believe they are reviving the dire Live Fire Excercise.  As it’s with Corybantic Games, unless the tbc is something amazing I will be saving money on this bill!  

Very happy about many of the other ones.  

I quite like Live Fire! 🙂  Corybantic was OK, apart from the costumes, so I'll have your tickets for this one Sim! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

It's still there, but worth noting it's in the Linbury

That gives a slightly better balance to the bills in the main house. The thinking seems to be (to put it crudely): one classical bill, one neo-classical, one contemporary, and one new. Seems a bit formulaic to me, and not a formula I much like. And very disappointed about the comparative lack of Ashton, and the limited range of Ashton and MacMillan one-acters that ever seem to be considered. Very pleased to see Coppélia there, though (as you will have gathered) I would have much preferred Cinderella. And delighted to see Tombeaux. Unlike (it seems) everyone else, I was underwhelmed by Onegin when last seen (though I loved it many years ago when performed by LFB/ENB). I hope my mind will be changed this time; perhaps I was in the wrong frame of mind when it was last performed.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Why does the Royal BALLET celebrate Cunningham, the most 'contemporary', non-balletic choreographer you can imagine, and ignore Balanchine??!

to be fair, a few years back they did have a 'Balanchine 100' mixed bill of his works for his 100th birthday - but with you that its disappointing not to have any of his works next season. We'll just have to luxuriate in Symphony in C this season! 🙂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

I quite like Live Fire! 🙂  Corybantic was OK, apart from the costumes, so I'll have your tickets for this one Sim! 

You are most welcome to them Dave!  😃

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

You can have mine too, zxDaveM! (Unless the tbc is, say, Scènes de Ballet... :D )

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

Interesting to note that there will be no major guest (Russian or otherwise) ballet company in Summer 2020 ... as opera extends through August (new tradition???).   With the Coliseum showing the musical Hairspray between April and end July 2020 it suggests limited London opportunity for such.  

Worrying if true coz I had pencilled in the Mariinsky. I have been trying to check it out but without success. Which opera is extending through August please?

Edited by David

7 minutes ago, David said:

Worrying if true coz I had pencilled in the Mariinsky. I have been trying to check it out but without success. Which opera is extending through August please?

I can’t see anything on the main stage after 19th July plus WNO will be doing a few dates after that I think.*

*Bluebeard’s Castle with Sir Bryn himself!

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

Wonder if that (e.g., Manon) might mark Watson's farewell?  Assume Oneign will be Soares'.    Wonder too if the latter might mark any other farewells.   Will Osipova dance with Hallberg in that as she did in Munich?  Part of me hopes not - although at the LBC talk last night he seemed to suggest that there would be other such jointures on the horizon.  'The Royal ballet gave me Osipova' he said.  It's just that there are so many fine Company rising talents at the moment.  

I completely agree, Bruce. I really don't see why the "home team" which labours so wondrously should be denied opportunities because a guest (who has danced a role many times) is brought in. I am thinking of the title role in Onegin particularly here. [Of course, as it happens, Hallberg's presence as Romeo  this season is fortunate but he has been the dancing the MacMillan version for 15 years.......]

P.S. Isn't it a bit of a joke that the ROH website (a sluggish news vehicle if ever there was one) has put out the 2019/20 season new ahead of the Press Conference?

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

With the Press Embargo and the ROH website seemingly at odds with one another, might there be scope for the recruitment of a Right and Left Hand Coordinator?

My first reaction was that allow the entire programme to go up hours before the official press conference, particularly since it is being widely shared across social media, was breathtakingly incompetent. Now I'm thinking that perhaps it shows a more relaxed approach. If so, I welcome it. After all, this is supposed to be an age of transparency.

Edited by David

8 minutes ago, David said:

My first reaction was that allow the entire programme to go up hours before the official press conference, particularly since it is being widely shared across social media, was breathtakingly incompetent. Now I'm thinking that perhaps it shows a more relaxed approach. If so, I welcome it. After all, this is supposed to be an age of transparency.

That’s a very generous interpretation :)

• Like 5

Very pleased to be able to see, for my first time,  the RB perform Sleeping Beauty and Coppelia, also Onegin. 

Perfectly happy with the return of Manon and Swan Lake (surely now a debut for Hayward?) given the beautiful productions last time round.

These are going to be expensive, though (see above).

Would have been happy with Woolf Works but instead we have a new W McG full length.

As others, I am disappointed about virtual absence of Ashton... I would have liked La Fille, and  The Dream

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Some price indications are now visible....

Manon up to £110

Sleeping Beauty up to £145

Shocking.  I guess that means I've no chance of being able to get a seat for Beauty :(  And at those prices they're obviously not concerned about whether they get full houses for Manon - it struggled to sell last time, at rather lower ones.

I think I called all the full-lengthers right (no Woolf Works - pooh - but at least I have a DVD of sorts).  As usual, I'm disappointed with all the items on my "short-length" wishlist that haven't been put on, but then I'm used to that by now, and it's clearly never going to change with KOH in charge :( .  The Ratmansky Preludes was the only thing I'd been waiting to see back for some years.  And only last week I was thinking that we'd managed to escape a repeat of Live Fire Exercise :(  (but at least it and Corybantic Games are on the same bill.  I hope it concides with something interesting from ENB and/or at Sadler's Wells)

• alison changed the title to Royal Ballet (ROH) season announcement 2019/20