RBS Junior Associates 2019

AllAboutTheJourney

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, meadowblythe said:

My DS got SWL for year 4 many years ago - now in his 3rd year as a professional and dancing the roles of his dreams.  He was very tiny and wobbly now a strapping 6 foot (although he didn't actually grow until he was 16).  He wasn't physically ready in year 4.  

It's still painful wathcing all the results all these years later though.

My son is a showman but lacks technique. 😂 thank you for the encouragement. 

Hope all the DCs that got a not yet aren't too disappointed. My DD had a no last year and a yes this year so we're so pleased we gave it another try. 

Are there any London year 5 or 4 for 32 sessions on here? Trying to figure out how the sessions will fall. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyDanceMum said:

Hope all the DCs that got a not yet aren't too disappointed. My DD had a no last year and a yes this year so we're so pleased we gave it another try. 

Are there any London year 5 or 4 for 32 sessions on here? Trying to figure out how the sessions will fall. 

My DD got her yes yesterday for Totnes and we got all the information through today including uniform list, dates and times so fingers crossed you will get all the info shortly.

48 minutes ago, Catlynn said:

Any of those children that were unsuccessful for a JA Y6 place thinking of going for a MA place? Thoughts would be appreciated as not sure it’s worth it. Thanks in advance 🙂

Hi Catlynn,

I’m not sure about this either. Do you know why your daughter might not have been successful? I know that in our case it was probably her feet. She has been working on them, and they are improving, but whether they will ever be RBS feet, I don’t know. Also it depends on whether she wants to try for MA’s, and how badly? The other thing to consider is how she will take it if it doesn’t go her way. Also ask her teacher if she thinks she has a good chance at MA’s.

3 minutes ago, Sally-Anne said:

Hi Catlynn,

I’m not sure about this either. Do you know why your daughter might not have been successful? I know that in our case it was probably her feet. She has been working on them, and they are improving, but whether they will ever be RBS feet, I don’t know. Also it depends on whether she wants to try for MA’s, and how badly? The other thing to consider is how she will take it if it doesn’t go her way. Also ask her teacher if she thinks she has a good chance at MA’s.

Hi Sally-Anne, 

I have no idea why she wasn’t successful. She has the feet, always has, so it might be her turnout and/or flexibility isn’t where it should be ...I really have no clue. 🤷‍♀️ She wants to give it another go but I’m really not sure if it’s worth it. Her teacher feels there is no reason why she shouldn’t audition again. It might be she just doesn’t fit their type.  At the moment, she will just focus on learning her new festival pieces (ballet solo, ballet duet and lyrical trio) and her Grade 4 RAD class.

• Like 1

Congratulations to all the children and their supportive grown ups for going through the audition process.

My son got a place for London 32 for Year 5. He auditioned in London 30th of May (Day 3) group 4.

He had already started the taster sessions at Elmhurst so feeling a bit overwhelmed (as we will now have to decline Elmhurst) but extremely  pleased.

PS: It was a NO last year.

• Like 4

Please dont worry if it was a no. I have said before my daughter was a no for years 4 5 and 6. No summer schools. She got white lodge finals. Only 53 girls taken. Of the 12 girls starting year 7 4of them were not ja's. They all look very different. My dd is off to Elmhurst which is such a blessing xx

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Congratulations to all the children and their supportive grown ups for going through the audition process.

My son got a place for London 32 for Year 5. He auditioned in London 30th of May (Day 3) group 4.

He had already started the taster sessions at Elmhurst so feeling a bit overwhelmed (as we will now have to decline Elmhurst) but extremely  pleased.

Congratulations to your son! Was the Elmhurst class in Birmingham, to travel every weekend? 

7 hours ago, Catlynn said:

Hi Sally-Anne, 

I have no idea why she wasn’t successful. She has the feet, always has, so it might be her turnout and/or flexibility isn’t where it should be ...I really have no clue. 🤷‍♀️ She wants to give it another go but I’m really not sure if it’s worth it. Her teacher feels there is no reason why she shouldn’t audition again. It might be she just doesn’t fit their type.  At the moment, she will just focus on learning her new festival pieces (ballet solo, ballet duet and lyrical trio) and her Grade 4 RAD class.

When my DS did an Insight day the teacher said that she had not been successful as a JA on her any of her attempts but got into WL and then danced for RBS - I don't know any more details but clearly always hope for the future 😊

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

Trying not to ‘overthink’ this whole process is brain ache. As I think towards next year, and thinking about your son getting a ‘Y5 yes’, it makes me think just how slim that possibility is? What an amazing achievement!!!

My presumption (and maybe I’m completely wrong) is that Y4s would rise to Y5, Y5’s would rise to Y6s, Y6s would leave the JAs.... and the only genuinely available space would be a fresh intake of Y4s? If that was the case, the possibilities of getting a Y5 space or Y6 would be the fewest, given that those places are already occupied/reserved for those moving up? 

I need a holiday from my own brain 😝

Edited by BalletBoysDad

28 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Trying not to ‘overthink’ this whole process is brain ache. As I think towards next year, and thinking about your son getting a ‘Y5 yes’, it makes me think just how slim that possibility is? What an amazing achievement!!!

My presumption (and maybe I’m completely wrong) is that Y4s would rise to Y5, Y5’s would rise to Y6s, Y6s would leave the JAs.... and the only genuinely available space would be a fresh intake of Y4s? If that was the case, the possibilities of getting a Y5 space or Y6 would be the fewest, given that those places are already occupied/reserved for those moving up? 

We got a year 5 place this year so it can happen! We are in total shock as DD got a RBS JA place  an Elmhurst place and Ballet Boost associates.... we entered into the 3 auditions with "oh we'll let her have a go, the experience would be good for her" but didn't expect this at all! So it can happen for year 5 😊

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

We got a year 5 place this year so it can happen! We are in total shock as DD got a RBS JA place  an Elmhurst place and Ballet Boost associates.... we entered into the 3 auditions with "oh we'll let her have a go, the experience would be good for her" but didn't expect this at all! So it can happen for year 5 😊

Well that’s wonderful to hear, huge congratulations to your DD. Maybe I should stop thinking about it and adopt a what will be will be’ attitude to it all. 😀

9 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Well that’s wonderful to hear, huge congratulations to your DD. Maybe I should stop thinking about it and adopt a what will be will be’ attitude to it all. 😀

Lol. We are not a dancing family and have entered into this world dutifully following our daughter and her aspirations, as we don't have a clue really we sort of just let her have a go, however I found this quite stressful, completely over thought and analysed everything after she had done the auditions... not that she had any idea I was lol! She just takes it in her stride, we love her have a go attitude but didn't account for how it would make us feel lol 😜 I am without a doubt slightly madder! 😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Lol. We are not a dancing family and have entered into this world dutifully following our daughter and her aspirations, as we don't have a clue really we sort of just let her have a go, however I found this quite stressful, completely over thought and analysed everything after she had done the auditions... not that she had any idea I was lol! She just takes it in her stride, we love her have a go attitude but didn't account for how it would make us feel lol 😜 I am without a doubt slightly madder! 😂

Exactly! I’m sure most of the kids fortunately take it in their stride. My sons love of ballet comes from the ballet he does now, so he’s completely unfazed by it. He doesn’t quite get SWL which I hope is a blessing. He was encouraged by his teacher rather than me, and it’s lovely that if anything it’s shown potential that for whatever reason needs some fine tuning. He will happily go through all of this again, just not sure I can lol. 

But its lovely to hear your DD is on the next step of the journey to her dance aspirations 💫

8 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Exactly! I’m sure most of the kids fortunately take it in their stride. My sons love of ballet comes from the ballet he does now, so he’s completely unfazed by it. He doesn’t quite get SWL which I hope is a blessing. He was encouraged by his teacher rather than me, and it’s lovely that if anything it’s shown potential that for whatever reason needs some fine tuning. He will happily go through all of this again, just not sure I can lol. 

But its lovely to hear your DD is on the next step of the journey to her dance aspirations 💫

Thankyou SWL is fab  congratulations to him too. It's just us parents that go through it lol......but we love them 😊

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Catlynn said:

Any of those children that were unsuccessful for a JA Y6 place thinking of going for a MA place? Thoughts would be appreciated as not sure it’s worth it. Thanks in advance 🙂

We are mulling it over. This was DDs first audition and we think her nervousness and inexperience could have been noticeable. 

I'm looking out for the audition insight date being announced, problem is my research has indicated they do this in October half term but in our borough the half term is the week after most other areas so it would mean a day off school for her I think. Time will tell.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Daisyflower said:

My DD ! I wonder how many people are on the waiting list. I just can't see how anyone would withdraw!!!!

Right?!  Well there’s at least 3 on the wait list from this forum alone and I think there might have been at least one other from an earlier audition date for a London y5 that was also SWL’d. 

5 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

That’s pretty much how it works. I was hoping that there may have been a London Sunday option added this year which would allow a few more spaces. 

• Like 1