RBS Junior Associates 2019

AllAboutTheJourney

4 minutes ago, tututendu said:

That’s pretty much how it works. I was hoping that there may have been a London Sunday option added this year which would allow a few more spaces. 

That seems to be the worry, it feels like the numbers get ever more challenging year on year. It’s these numbers that make me think it’s not worth trying again. But then SWL comes with that frustration that the child must have been really close in the final considerations and that’s an achievement in itself.....

I guess the one thing that is easier for the kids than the adults is the exposure to the challenges and realities of audition. We know (through my partners work) an ex RB principal who went on to be Artistic Director of a couple of major companies. He ‘warned us’ that a career in dance carries a disproportionate amount of disappointment, and it’s important to be able to deal with that. His advice was that if you can’t deal with it, don’t bother. Fortunately when I explained to my DS about the SWL, he was more bothered that he might have put the wrong Lego set on his birthday list. I wish my brain worked like that 😂 

• Like 1

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, tututendu said:

Right?!  Well there’s at least 3 on the wait list from this forum alone and I think there might have been at least one other from an earlier audition date for a London y5 that was also SWL’d. 

There appear to be three SWL for London Y4 on this forum, so maybe 5 in reality? Those numbers seem pretty similar to London Y5... 

1 hour ago, Lara Eschler said:

#crazylifecrazykids

Did you audition for London year 5? Has your daughter started the taster sessions at Elmhurst?

Hi no not London. Not sure if we get offered taster sessions. Had the email offering her an Elmhurst place and RBS JAs place 48 hours apart, so not sure what we are going to do regarding Elmhurst and her Ballet Boost associates place yet. Wasn't ever expecting to be in this position lol

• Like 1

Hi

My daughter is currently a Year 4 JA. At our centre there is an equal chance to get into each year group. The Year 4 and 5s are in one class - 4 year 4 girls, 8 year 5 girls and 4 boys (mix of year 4/5).  So, the 8-10 year 5’s move into a year 6 class next year and 4-6 (or sometimes a couple more) new ones will join them to make a class of up to 16. The 4-6 Year 4’s move into Year 5 where 4-6 more join them plus the 4-6 new Year 4’s making a Year4/5 class of about 16-18.  Numbers do  change according to who they see at auditions - this year we had 5 new Year 4 girls and only 3 new Year 5’s. So the total number in the class always stays between 16-18.

Hope that makes sense?

Edited by TwoDancers
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tututendu said:

Right?!  Well there’s at least 3 on the wait list from this forum alone and I think there might have been at least one other from an earlier audition date for a London y5 that was also SWL’d. 

Yeah that was me.

DD, auditioned in Eastleigh for London, for Yr 5, got a SWL. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TwoDancers said:

Hi

My daughter is currently a Year 4 JA. At our centre there is an equal chance to get into each year group. The Year 4 and 5s are in one class - 4 year 4 girls, 8 year 5 girls and 4 boys (mix of year 4/5).  So, the 8-10 year 5’s move into a year 6 class next year and 4-6 (or sometimes a couple more) new ones will join them to make a class of up to 16. The 4-6 Year 4’s move into Year 5 where 4-6 more join them plus the 4-6 new Year 4’s making a Year4/5 class of about 16-18.  Numbers do  change according to who they see at auditions - this year we had 5 new Year 4 girls and only 3 new Year 5’s. So the total number in the class always stays between 16-18.

Hope that makes sense?

That’s really interesting, thanks for sharing that. Out of interest, which centre is this? 

2 hours ago, TwoDancers said:

Hi

Hope that makes sense?

This is how I have understood it works in general - there is a more or less equal chance in any of the three years 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

That seems to be the worry, it feels like the 

We know (through my partners work) an ex RB principal who went on to be Artistic Director of a couple of major companies. He ‘warned us’ that a career in dance carries a disproportionate amount of disappointment, and it’s important to be able to deal with that. His advice was that if you can’t deal with it, don’t bother. Fortunately when I explained to my DS about the SWL, he was more bothered that he might have put the wrong Lego set on his birthday list. I wish my brain worked like that 😂 

I love that!  LEGO is very important 😁.

Kids are so resilient. Learning how to handle rejection is key to persevering in the future. My dd has been acting professionally for a few years now and consistent rejection is just a normal part of it 🤪 she knows it’s not personal and never takes it to heart, she just has fun with it all 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tututendu said:

I love that!  LEGO is very important 😁.

Kids are so resilient. Learning how to handle rejection is key to persevering in the future. My dd has been acting professionally for a few years now and consistent rejection is just a normal part of it 🤪 she knows it’s not personal and never takes it to heart, she just has fun with it all 🙂

That’s wonderful, especially at such a young age to have the ability to know it’s not personal. We’ve corrected the Lego on the birthday list and calm and order has been restored in the house. 😂 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sally-Anne said:

This is how I have understood it works in general - there is a more or less equal chance in any of the three years 

That’s really good to know, we already know that if nothing comes from the SWL my DS will try again next year. It would be unhelpful to apply if (as I thought) chances were vastly worse than the already slim chances for Y4. So all your insights have been really helpful in knowing that it’s not a totally hopeless exercise. 👍🙏

17 hours ago, Creakingstool said:

We are mulling it over. This was DDs first audition and we think her nervousness and inexperience could have been noticeable. 

I'm looking out for the audition insight date being announced, problem is my research has indicated they do this in October half term but in our borough the half term is the week after most other areas so it would mean a day off school for her I think. Time will tell.

If it is half-term, DD won’t be able to attend as she is at a Festival. Oh well, someone else I know suggested possibly trying Rambert. We shall see where we go from here. First, we need to get through the 11 plus in September!

6 minutes ago, Catlynn said:

If it is half-term, DD won’t be able to attend as she is at a Festival. Oh well, someone else I know suggested possibly trying Rambert. We shall see where we go from here. First, we need to get through the 11 plus in September!

Do Rambert have an associates programme? That’s interesting, I will have a look. 

11 minutes ago, tututendu said:

I’m really hoping that everyone on the waitlist will update us if their status changes. It would be lovely to see some movement there if possible. 🤞🤗

I promise I’ll let you know! ❤️

(Auditioned in Eastleigh for yr 5, waitlisted for London classes)

28 minutes ago, Daisyflower said:

It's hard not to know what it is going to happen. If only we had received more information on how it works on an individual basis! But according to what I understood we are not going to know anything until September (if things do change).

That’s how I understand it too.... it seems totally dependent if those who accept places actually turn up. It’s easy to think no one would give up a place, and probably the realities are slim, but I’m just using my sons SWL place as confidence that applying next year won’t be totally pointless given the statistics. It all seems a lottery though. 😫

3 hours ago, balletboy8 said:

Morning All

it's hard for my little brain to keep track of who has got in or on SWL for which centre. Who has been lucky on this occasion for Eastleigh Y4?

DS was but I put London as first choice and Eastleigh as 2nd and he got given London. Which was your little boy ? I was the pregnant mum and we were in the side area of the waiting room opposite the doors to the studio, my son has short blonde hair . Xx 

3 minutes ago, ExBallerina said:

DS was but I put London as first choice and Eastleigh as 2nd and he got given London. Which was your little boy ? I was the pregnant mum and we were in the side area of the waiting room opposite the doors to the studio, my son has short blonde hair . Xx 

He was group 4, number 97 and we were sitting right by the entrance doors to the studio. One of my hands does not work well and so another parent had to help put his number on, he has short cropped brown hair 😊

16 minutes ago, balletboy8 said:

He was group 4, number 97 and we were sitting right by the entrance doors to the studio. One of my hands does not work well and so another parent had to help put his number on, he has short cropped brown hair 😊

Ah ok, I think there were a few boys around you , we were group 4 too number 102 . I wonder how many boys were successful from our group.....my son just loved being with a big group of boys :) 

5 minutes ago, ExBallerina said:

Ah ok, I think there were a few boys around you , we were group 4 too number 102 . I wonder how many boys were successful from our group.....my son just loved being with a big group of boys :) 

It did seem odd (in a nice way) having other boys around. DS is always the only one in ballet. I am completely new to all this and so the following could be totally wrong but I seem to recall someone saying that they like the boys to all go to London when they get to y6 (or it might be MA). 😊

On 23/06/2019 at 09:48, Catlynn said:

Argh the 11+??! 🤪🤪🤪

Not got a clue about that either. No idea how the answers to the questions are what they are. Everything I look at looks like a magic eye poster and I'm waiting for the answer to jump out at me! Good luck everyone, whatever you do. Can't say I'm enjoying either this dancing malarkey or looking at secondary schools. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, balletboy8 said:

It did seem odd (in a nice way) having other boys around. DS is always the only one in ballet. I am completely new to all this and so the following could be totally wrong but I seem to recall someone saying that they like the boys to all go to London when they get to y6 (or it might be MA). 😊

It's when they're MA's they mainly only offer London...

Hi, Newbie here.

My DS got accepted for London (24) for yr 5. He apparently made a couple of friends in the audition room but cannot remember their names or numbers - he's hoping a few might have made it through too. :) 

My DS was number 98 (we think...I didn't get a photo and neither of us can actually remember for sure...oops). London 3 Group 4. He was the little curly-haired, mixed-race boy. We were sat near the front (myself and my big DD).

• Like 2

On 24/06/2019 at 13:09, ExBallerina said:

Hi ExBallerina, was this in London and for a place in London? If so I think your DS used to do ballet with my littlest DD :) I didn't see you there or I'd have popped over and said hi. 

Congratulations!