Audience Behaviour

As he was making unpleasant racial comments and not talking about the price of sugar or the current state of the railways or some such I think it is probably almost a duty to tell him to shut Up if one can only be brave enough at the time....but if you are shy this is very difficult thing to do .....I'm not shy but was brought up not "to rock the boat" so it's sometimes hard to put your head above the parapet and stand up for what you believe in .....but I'm am getting better as get older!!

In the end some very to the point wit can win the day but only about two in ten times can I think off the top of my head .....usually on the way home on the bus ....but a bit late then.

I always think of things too late too. I remember many years ago my sister and I were at the ROH and a man was rude to us in some way - I can't now remember the details. But I do remember being so proud of my sister - I was just ready to slink away feebly without responding, but she didn't miss a beat: she looked straight at him and said loudly and scathingly 'GO BOIL YOUR HEAD!!'. Not exactly wit, perhaps, but highly satisfying.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh for crying out loud (which I nearly did). At The Sleeping Beauty at the ROH last night, the NOISE during the music between Acts II and III was totally deafening. That beautiful music being played for all it was worth by the (real, living) orchestra, and the audience treating it as if it was an advert break on the TV. Perhaps partly the fault of the ROH, because the house lights were raised to some level and that was all it needed for the audience to start talking, moving, checking their phones, etc etc. Ridiculous!!

• Like 5

Watching Beauty and the Beast today ... large, noisy party came in and sat at back of stalls ... lights went down and one of party dropped large bag of sweets ... cue lots of loud laughter.

Small girl in front of DD, moving around constantly and talking and couple a few seats away checking phone.

But what really made me laugh was the mum who arrived with 9/10yr old sized boy and said 'oh darling, I don't think it's a pantomime' ... HOW on earth can you book a ballet and not know!

• Like 3

Watching Beauty and the Beast today ... large, noisy party came in and sat at back of stalls ... lights went down and one of party dropped large bag of sweets ... cue lots of loud laughter.

Small girl in front of DD, moving around constantly and talking and couple a few seats away checking phone.

But what really made me laugh was the mum who arrived with 9/10yr old sized boy and said 'oh darling, I don't think it's a pantomime' ... HOW on earth can you book a ballet and not know!

Did the boy say Oh yes it is!?

• Like 5

Quite easily!  Over the years I have sat next to people who thought they had booked for Dracula the musical, Romeo and Juliet the play and Wuthering Heights the play to name but 3!

• Like 2

I came across the following snippet in an issue of The Era, a theatrical newspaper, dated 14th January 1899:

"ON Saturday night last in the course of the concluding scene of The Belle of New York at the Cardiff Theatre Royal Mr Lionel E. Lawrence, who was playing Ichabod Bronson, suddenly stopped in the middle of one of his songs and said, “Ladies and gentlemen, I refuse to go on with my song, as there is a man right in front of me who has been reading a newspaper all the evening.  It is most disgusting, and I must ask you to excuse me from singing any more.”  The gentleman continued to peruse his paper, and said he had a perfect right to read a newspaper if he liked, and would not be stopped by anyone.  He continued to do so, and the performance went on without any further incident."

​It's a comfort to know that audiences were as badly behaved then as they are now!

• Like 3

A new 'feature' at the ROH is the tendency for many audience members to stay by the cloakroom table to put their coats on, elbowing and getting in the way of those still queueing.  I long to shout out, "Please pick up your coats and move quickly away." Do people not have any spatial awareness?

• Like 2

Capybara, it's only an extension of what they used to do at the old cloakroom, blocking the exit to the box office slip despite there being plenty of room elsewhere for them to congregate - and with far less justification :( - so I'd guess no, no spatial awareness, or awareness of other people.

I can definitely confirm a lack of spatial awareness (or just plain rudeness) from a number of ROH patrons.  I recently fractured my ankle (on my way to the ROH, of course).  I was walking using an airboot and a crutch.  Attending a football match at Stamford Bridge accorded no problems and staff and supporters alike were very helpful.  Fast forward a couple of days to a Friends rehearsal at ROH (Der Rosenkavalier) and four people walked into my crutch and one woman (who knew I had a crutch as I'd already had to move her out of my seat) actually stepped on my ankle as she tried to push her way out as soon as the curtain came down.

I'm now using a walking stick instead of a crutch (and the boot is gone!).  At the Nutcracker a couple of days ago, I was collecting a cast sheet and a woman walked straight into me as she tried to barge past to get to the programme table.  I said: "Please don't walk into my walking stick."  Her response: "I didn't see it.  You shouldn't be so rude."  My flabber was completely gasted (and I told her so in no uncertain terms).

• Like 5

I am getting to the stage in life when a hearing aid might become necessary. As someone who has suffered from sitting in audiences trying to listen to music while a hearing aid goes on and on and on, might I enquire what the options are? Can they always be adjusted so they don't disturb other people or is it more a matter of on or off?

For those who don't know, there was a notable event at the Wigmore Hall just before Christmas (this venue is something of a holy of holys when it comes to listening to music, while at the same time attracting an audience tilted, shall we say, to the hearing aid generation). The heavenly pianist Pietmontesi was playing an all Mozart programme. I report via a friend who attended (but the circumstances were such that the hearing aid was mentioned by reviewers).

The rogue hearing aid made such a fierce and sustained racket during the first half that everything had to stop. The Director of the Wigmore Hall himself came on to the stage to try and identify the source of the noise. To no avail. The stubborn sound could not be located and the faulty (?) apparatus could not be fixed. And so the poor pianist simply could not go on playing and the concert was halted. After an early interval - the talk was all about hearing aids, of course - the recital restarted, thankfully peacefully. Perhaps the machinery was fixed/adjusted or perhaps the wearer left.

It would be most interesting to hear from those with practical knowledge of how hearing aids work, as this seems an extremely antisocial piece of equipment. Thinking back over a lifetime of piano recitals, some players would not just have stopped playing but might not have returned to the platform.

I am getting to the stage in life when a hearing aid might become necessary. As someone who has suffered from sitting in audiences trying to listen to music while a hearing aid goes on and on and on, might I enquire what the options are? Can they always be adjusted so they don't disturb other people or is it more a matter of on or off?

I have no personal knowledge of hearing aids, but I remember once getting a last minute ticket for Oklahoma, the hottest show in town at the time.  When I arrived, I discovered that the reason there were spare seats available was because it was a performance for the deaf, with a professional person standing at the front signing for them.  Before the performance began, there was a positive bellow of high pitched whining, which was so awful I very nearly walked out.  When I made a comment to one of the ushers, saying I couldn't stand it, he said to give people a chance to make their adjustments, and to tell him if I could still hear anything and he would speak to the individual.  The whining vanished in the end, so I assume the answer is yes, they can be adjusted!

I found it very sweet at the end, when those of us with hearing were clapping in time to the music, that the people sitting around me were watching me, and timing their claps accordingly.  

Edited by Fonty

Hearing aids only make a noise if they are fitted incorrectly, i.e. part of the mould not in the ear or a bit of loose tubing.They whistle if switched on but not in the ear.Sometimes other audio equipment interferes with them such as speakers and early mobile phones were a nightmare. It seems to me that the hearing aid affecting the concert, if indeed it was the culprit, may well have been left switched on in a bag. It's very painful wearing one making a noise which then renders it useless anyway.

Really object to the inference that they are antisocial, I do not enjoy needing to wear them but would not be able to attend social events without them. Although I am now middle aged, I have worn them through out my youth so also object to "hearing aid generation."

Don't spend thousands on private hearing aids, the NHS ones just the same. Do wear them if necessary. My mum's dementia is so much worse due to the fact she refused to wear hers.

My hearing aids were adjusted to reflect my needs, one being that I am in close proximity to audio equipment and a piano most days(I am a Ballet teacher.)

Some theatres, venues supposedly have a loop system to help hearing aid users focus on the stage but the only one I've ever found that worked for me was at Slimbridge WWC!

Background noise is a nightmare if you wear hearing aids, think rustly sweet wrappers etc. Everything gets magnified if that makes sense but modern aids are thankfully better at cutting out unwanted background noise.

Hope this helps and good luck getting one sorted.

• Like 5

Very interesting to hear from someone who has had to wear hearing aids from a young age, Hfbrew. I feel that, unlike with glasses / contact lenses, there is a bit of a stigma and embarrassment around hearing aids. I'm not sure why; perhaps it's because they are associated with aging and we live in a rather ageist society. I wonder whether people have traditionally been too undemanding about the effectiveness and comfort of their hearing aids. My uncle wouldn't wear his because he found them uncomfortable and he would not persist with the fitters until he found something suitable. He was rather awkward socially anyway and his deafness made conversation even more exasperating. Refusing to wear hearing aids (for whatever reason) can lead to social isolation if the person starts withdrawing from social events or becomes reluctant to speak on the telephone. There is a danger of friends drifting away if conversation becomes laborious because everything has to be repeated or the person becomes reluctant to initiate contact because they find it hard to participate in conversation. It is to be hoped that as more assertive and consumer-minded generations start to require hearing aids they will insist on having well-fitted devices which meet their particular needs and on public spaces being properly adapted to the needs of those with hearing problems.

• Like 4

Really object to the inference that they are antisocial,

Apologies for any misunderstanding: obviously hearing aids are not antisocial. But the making of loud, persistent and high-pitched whistling sounds during someone's performance is surely fairly described as antisocial, and that is what I meant, sorry if this wasn't clear. In any case many thanks for the technical information, very useful.

• Like 1

I have been suffering from an awful viral cough for the past week - really hope I can vanquish it before this Friday otherwise I am terrified I will find myself being berated on this thread for serial coughing! ???? Seriously, if it is still bad I may have to give it a miss ????.

• Like 1

I've gradually come to the conclusion over the years that the ROH opera audience tends to be less considerate than its ballet audience.  My recent trip to Der Rosenkavalier only served to reinforce this, I'm afraid :(  I don't know whether there's any correlation between seat price and obnoxiousness.

• Like 2

Hmmm ......I was at Sadlers Wells this afternoon for Red Shoes.

I was in the middle of a row in the First Circle and during the first act suffered a terrible racking coughing fit.....the first time in 49 years of theatre going. I just couldn't control it.

I was very embarrassed and kept drinking water ....nearly a whole bottle in 20 mins.

But it wasn't just the coughing I was in some distress with breathing and even though I don't suffer from Asthma I did have a strange asthmatic type attack last August so was really worried things could progress....in an agony of trying not to breathe too deeply to set off the cough but then worried my breathing might cease altogether!!

Of course it happened at a very quiet bit in the first Act in the middle of a lovely duet which I hardly enjoyed but thought I'd cause more trouble by trying to leave.

Well it settled down again but completely unnerved me so in the interval I had a word with the ushers and they were totally WONDERFUL!!

I had asked if they knew of any seats on the end of a row and in the middle of selling ice creams et al found time to contact House Manager and when the audience went back in managed to find me a seat nearer the back on the end of a row but with great view still.

If they hadn't been able to I was going to leave as just could not face being trapped in the middle of a row again.

Of course in the second Act I hardly coughed once!!

In future I don't think I can go again unless have a seat on the end of a row even though it's unlikely I would have a bad cold/chesty thing at every performance.

A totally horrible experience for me but many many thanks to the Sadlers Wells staff especially Vicki who were all so helpful and concerned that I should enjoy the rest of the show.

• Like 12

That must have been awful LinMM, but I'm glad you got assistance and I hope your breathing doesn't give you more trouble. What it did also bring to mind, not for the first time, is the danger of those incredibly long rows of seats at SW, with no aisles - they're annoying enough even just from the point of view of getting everyone seated (standing up and down so many times, and people embarrassed at disturbing a lot of people to get to their seats etc) but also from a health and safety point of view. If someone did have to leave because of illness it would cause mayhem, and if the theatre had to be evacuated, it would be downright dangerous. I was amazed when the new theatre opened that it had been permissible to build it like that. (And with steps in the middle of the end-of-row gaps, so that every time you leave a row you have to be very careful not to trip up on the step. Crazy!). (I'm not sure if the whole theatre is so bad - I'm almost always in the Second Circle.)

• Like 1

feel that, unlike with glasses / contact lenses, there is a bit of a stigma and embarrassment around hearing aids. I'm not sure why; 

Yes, this is something I have always found very odd.  If someone wears glasses because of poor eyesight, nobody would even comment on it.  Perhaps part of the problem is that people are encouraged to go for regular eyesight tests, but nobody ever suggests going for regular hearing checks, especially after a certain age?  Also, while deteriorating eyesight is obvious to the individual concerned, and can prevent them from going about their daily business, hearing loss is often gradual, and someone may not realise they are suffering from it. 

I know it is hard for people with poor hearing, but it can also be very, very difficult to live with someone who refuses to admit they may have a problem. Having to repeat everything two or three times, at increasingly loud levels, just leads to anger and frustration on both sides.  And spare a thought for one of my friends, whose neighbour has her television or radio on at MAXIMUM VOLUME at all hours of the day and night.  

As far as audience behaviour is concerned, I can remember sitting in the theatre once, and as the play progressed, the woman sitting behind me was repeating some of the dialogue quite loudly to her companion.  When I turned round and asked her to keep quiet, she stared accusingly at me, and said, "My husband is hard of hearing."  If my response to that was supposed to be sympathy and understanding, I am afraid I failed miserably. 

• Like 2

It's interesting bridiem but I never really noticed that before about Sadlers Wells.......until yesterday when I had contemplated leaving the auditorium mid performance for the first time .....the really extra long rows!! It was just Sods Law I suppose that on an occasion when I had a bit of a chesty cold that happened to be more in the middle!

But I thought having thoroughly irritated people with my coughing if I then got up to leave it would be irritation ten times over!!

Anyway you live and learn as they say so will think carefully where I sit in future.....just in case.

Funnily enough I checked my next theatre going event this morning .....at the Coliseum in January to see Giselle .....and VERY fortunately for me as it turns out I happen to have an end of row seat already though bought it ages ago....Nice piece of luck there as its not too far down the road!!

• Like 1

Yes, this is something I have always found very odd.  If someone wears glasses because of poor eyesight, nobody would even comment on it.  Perhaps part of the problem is that people are encouraged to go for regular eyesight tests, but nobody ever suggests going for regular hearing checks, especially after a certain age?  Also, while deteriorating eyesight is obvious to the individual concerned, and can prevent them from going about their daily business, hearing loss is often gradual, and someone may not realise they are suffering from it. 

I know it is hard for people with poor hearing, but it can also be very, very difficult to live with someone who refuses to admit they may have a problem. Having to repeat everything two or three times, at increasingly loud levels, just leads to anger and frustration on both sides.  And spare a thought for one of my friends, whose neighbour has her television or radio on at MAXIMUM VOLUME at all hours of the day and night.  

As far as audience behaviour is concerned, I can remember sitting in the theatre once, and as the play progressed, the woman sitting behind me was repeating some of the dialogue quite loudly to her companion.  When I turned round and asked her to keep quiet, she stared accusingly at me, and said, "My husband is hard of hearing."  If my response to that was supposed to be sympathy and understanding, I am afraid I failed miserably. 

So they don't use the subtitles then?  We have subtitles on in our house as some of us can hear and others can't - solves the problem all round!  In fact even though I can hear perfectly well I often understand much better with subtitles as the likes of Casualty with medical terms is often difficult to quite understand what they are on about and I always recall seeing a subtitled James Bond Film - Casino Royale - and finally getting what was said thanks to the subtitles - a lot of muffled speech going these days.

• Like 1

So they don't use the subtitles then?  We have subtitles on in our house as some of us can hear and others can't - solves the problem all round!  In fact even though I can hear perfectly well I often understand much better with subtitles as the likes of Casualty with medical terms is often difficult to quite understand what they are on about and I always recall seeing a subtitled James Bond Film - Casino Royale - and finally getting what was said thanks to the subtitles - a lot of muffled speech going these days.

My Mum wouldn't admit she had a hearing problem and used to get very distressed if I put the subtitles on.