Audience Behaviour

Another thing that was difficult was going to the loo - I wish they had a little shelf in each cubicle as well as a handbag hook. Are we supposed to hold the programme in our teeth? As mentioned above - it was a very large one!

Seconded about somewhere to put your stuff in ladies.  Trouble is so many of them are not maintained properly - often the handbag hooks have fallen off or broken and not been replaced.

• Like 5

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing that was difficult was going to the loo - I wish they had a little shelf in each cubicle as well as a handbag hook. Are we supposed to hold the programme in our teeth? As mentioned above - it was a very large one!

That really made me laugh, Dance*is*life! I'm pretty sure that there are times when I have indeed put a programme between my teeth for want of any other possible resting place. What we suffer for our art.  :)  

• Like 3

Speaking as someone who has hung my (quite heavy) bag from my neck by the straps before, to avoid having to place it on a - shall we say, less than pristine toilet floor - I quite agree with you, Dance*is*life (and yes, I have also resorted to the teeth method on occasion as well)!

• Like 5

I've tried balancing my programs on my bag only for it to fall when I have no chance of catching it!!! I agree, the things we do for our art!!

Symphony Hall in Birmingham has a great idea to handle those pesky programs. There are bars that wrap around the back of the chairs and you can stuff your program in there and it doesn't fall out. They have a huge cloak room too - now if only it were free (it used to be).

TEST1T.png

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Last night Covent Garden, Russians next to Dame Monica talking loudly, dealt with by attendant and manager in interval. Felt sorry for Dame Monica. Very heavy perfume and unpleasantly aromatic man in front of us! Bet the perfume was expensive but not to my taste!

Last night Covent Garden, Russians next to Dame Monica talking loudly, dealt with by attendant and manager in interval. Felt sorry for Dame Monica. Very heavy perfume and unpleasantly aromatic man in front of us! Bet the perfume was expensive but not to my taste!

Money doesn't guarantee good manners, or taste!!

• Like 3

If people are so bored, why are they there?  They could always leave at the interval and donate their posh tickets to us poor folk (the ones who really love the art form and aren't there just to be seen) so that we can ensure there aren't any empty seats in the Grand Tier!  :)

• Like 3

Just been reading about an incident at the Lincoln Centre, where the New York Met Opera halted a performance of Guillaume Tell. During an interval, it appears a member of the audience sprinkled cremated ashes onto the orchestra. Several audience members said a man had told them he was there to release the ashes of a friend. If someone said that to me, I think I might mention it to an usher, but perhaps there wasn't time.

Police say the man has been identified and they are trying to reach him. Take that to mean what you will!

On a more serious note,obviously these ashes could have been something else entirely and anti terror units were called.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 1

Just been reading about an incident at the Lincoln Centre, where the New York Met Opera halted a performance of Guillaume Tell. During an interval, it appears a member of the audience sprinkled cremated ashes onto the orchestra. Several audience members said a man had told them he was there to release the ashes of a friend. If someone said that to me, I think I might mention it to an usher, but perhaps there wasn't time.

Police say the man has been identified and they are trying to reach him. Take that to mean what you will!

On a more serious note,obviously these ashes could have been something else entirely and anti terror units were called.

That's morbidly fascinating. Is there an article on this you could link us to?

Thanks Geoff and original credit to MAB!

Some of the comments are quite robust! Had I been there, I wouldn't have been very sympathetic to his plight though. Stupid and irresponsible thing to do. There is a time and place and this was neither, whatever the emotional attachment. In my opinion of course.

Edited by Jacqueline

Anyone else worried about the new toilet/cloakroom facilities at ROH?  Toilets are now downstairs and very posh they are too - if a trifle dark, BUT, its a bit of a schlep in the interval.  After the performance people were queuing on the stairs which is pretty dangerous because the cloakrooms are past the toilets (this may be temporary, staff didn't seem to know).  Given that average age of patrons is not at the teenage end of the spectrum, these arrangements seem somewhat bizarre.

• Like 2

Anyone else worried about the new toilet/cloakroom facilities at ROH?  Toilets are now downstairs and very posh they are too - if a trifle dark, BUT, its a bit of a schlep in the interval.  After the performance people were queuing on the stairs which is pretty dangerous because the cloakrooms are past the toilets (this may be temporary, staff didn't seem to know).  Given that average age of patrons is not at the teenage end of the spectrum, these arrangements seem somewhat bizarre.

I have written to the ROH (at some length) on the subject of the toilets/cloakroom and the audience management associated with the changes and have been assured that they understand the issues (including those mentioned above) and are working on smoothing out the problems. The difficulty is that some things are related to location and design and are therefore hard to remedy.

There will be a new "flexible" combined box office and cloakroom where the box office and cloakroom used to be. There will also be a new cloakroom at amphi level.

Thanks for that.  Was beginning to think I'd have to forgo my interval drinks in favour of a trek to the basement!

My understanding is that it's only the cloakroom which will be at ground level.  Apart from the facilities for the disabled, I don't think there will be any toilets there. Perhaps bangorballetboy could confirm?

Edited by Bluebird

My understanding is that it's only the cloakroom which will be at ground level.  Apart from the facilities for the disabled, I don't think there will be any toilets there. Perhaps bangorballetboy could confirm?

Yes, that was the impression I picked up from the cloakroom staff who went to great lengths to tell me there will be one disabled toilet on the ground floor.  Putting all the others in the basement is madness.  They are served by one small staircase and one lift.

• Like 1

Willl inspect the lavatorial facilities at ROH with interest, But honestly they have always been so much better than many places I could mention.  For example: Just back from the Barbican- queuing for the whole interval- 5 cubicles, one out of order. Apparently only 3 in the gents!

No wonder they were all in great demand though- my partner and I were the only people in the Hall not clutching a plastic pint of lager.  Having a line of people all clutching these, shuffling over your toes to get to their seats is really quite nerve-racking. Being shouted at by a tannoy in the foyer was also  rather unpleasant. I don't think I will be going back for a while.

• Like 3