Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

Hamburg Ballet, John Neumeier, 'Ghost Light', is available to pre order for a 19/03/21 release date on Amazon. As far as I am aware, it is the only new full length ballet to be produced during the Covid 19 epidemic. Set to the music of Franz Schubert, the entire company are performing, the only contact is between those that are married or couples. A Ballet in the Time of Corona, Ghost Light is the glow of hope during hard times.

Edited by Stevie
typo
  • Like 2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

As far as I am aware, it is the only new full length ballet to be produced during the Covid 19 epidemic.

Christian Spuck made a new Sleeping Beauty at Zurich in October - with no social distancing at all on stage, and an audience at almost full house, wearing masks during the performance. Alas, the premiere was the only performance so far - someone from the company fell ill with Covid before the next performance and they had to cancel three or four performances, and then the next lockdown came, which still lasts until now. Spuck also worked on a new "Orlando" for the Bolshoi for some weeks in December; it will premiere in March 2021.

Neumeier's "Ghost Light" is still streaming on arte concert for one month:

https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/099086-000-A/ghost-light-a-ballet-in-the-time-of-corona-by-john-neumeier/

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stevie said:

This is possibly the version of Le Corsair starring Nicoletta Manni, by Anna- Marie Holmes. If so, the you-tube tasters look very promising.

This was briefly streamed during the first lockdown and was wonderful. So I expect / hope it's the same version. Also featuring Martina Arduino, so similar to the casting of their Giselle.

On 05/01/2021 at 11:10, Richard LH said:

The  RB's "The Cellist & Dances at a Gathering" is available to pre-order, out 22 January.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cellist-Dances-Gathering-Blu-ray/dp/B0892J1HKQ/ref=tmm_blu_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1609862916&sr=8-1

I just received a note from the US Amazon site that my pre-ordered DVD ships on 5 February...this Friday. Yay! I thoroughly enjoyed The Cellist during the free stream last summer and cannot wait to see Dances at a Gathering.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

I just received a note from the US Amazon site that my pre-ordered DVD ships on 5 February...this Friday. Yay! I thoroughly enjoyed The Cellist during the free stream last summer and cannot wait to see Dances at a Gathering.

I'm sure you'll not be disappointed Jeanette. Fabulous performances by all the dancers. As it was quite long I thought it might get a bit boring and sameish but not at all. I was engrossed and actually preferred it to the Cellist. 

• 2 months later...
On 01/02/2021 at 18:03, jmhopton said:

I'm sure you'll not be disappointed Jeanette. Fabulous performances by all the dancers. As it was quite long I thought it might get a bit boring and sameish but not at all. I was engrossed and actually preferred it to the Cellist. 

I finally got my DVD of the fabulous double bill and agree, jmhopton! But what a saga of months of waiting and having to reorder via the UK Amazon affiliate- twice...lastly with the expensive DHL option - before I finally received my copy in late-March. It was worth the wait. Why the American Amazon delay (pull) it? Robbins rights troubles?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeannette said:

I finally got my DVD of the fabulous double bill and agree, jmhopton! But what a saga of months of waiting and having to reorder via the UK Amazon affiliate- twice...lastly with the expensive DHL option - before I finally received my copy in late-March. It was worth the wait. Why the American Amazon delay (pull) it? Robbins rights troubles?

Wow, that's some wait Jeanette. At least you've got it at last. It's deceptively simple, yet totally brilliant. You've inspired me to watch it again! Terrific performances by everyone but I found Alexander Campbell especially memorable. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Wow, that's some wait Jeanette. At least you've got it at last. It's deceptively simple, yet totally brilliant. You've inspired me to watch it again! Terrific performances by everyone but I found Alexander Campbell especially memorable. 

I just checked the US Amazon site & the DVD is still not available. The Blu-Ray version is there, from a third-party dealer, for three times the price...and, from my past experience with such dealers, good luck in getting your DVD. The Jerome Robbins Trust must be trying extra hard to keep it out of Americans’ collections. (I’ve no doubt that the problem is with the Robbins & not Marston, who seems very generous in making her work’s films available.)

Guest oncnp
8 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

I just checked the US Amazon site & the DVD is still not available. The Blu-Ray version is there, from a third-party dealer, for three times the price...and, from my past experience with such dealers, good luck in getting your DVD. The Jerome Robbins Trust must be trying extra hard to keep it out of Americans’ collections. (I’ve no doubt that the problem is with the Robbins & not Marston, who seems very generous in making her work’s films available.)

Is this the Cellist/DaaG DVD? I had no problem getting it from Amazon US (ordered it a few weeks later than you did) and it's available https://www.amazon.com/Cellist-various/dp/B0892J1HKP/ref=tmm_dvd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1617532552&sr=8-3

When you do a title search ("Cellist ballet" in my case) only the Blue Ray comes up but click on the Blue Ray and it pulls up the DVD as well. I noticed Amazon US doing this a lot lately. 

Edited by oncnp

14 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Is this the Cellist/DaaG DVD? I had no problem getting it from Amazon US (ordered it a few weeks later than you did) and it's available https://www.amazon.com/Cellist-various/dp/B0892J1HKP/ref=tmm_dvd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1617532552&sr=8-3

If you search only the Blue Ray comes up but click on the Blue Ray and it pulls up the DVD as well. I noticed Amazon US doing this a lot lately. 

Thanks. Hopefully others won’t have the troubles that I had. By the way, this (the DVD option ad) is precisely what I first pre-ordered around Christmas (same $29 price)....which I eventually cancelled in late-Feb when the provider (another 3rd party - the only option at the time) kept delaying & delaying shipping. What was originally promised as arriving in late-January was stretched to April 2. I gave up & pursued the UK Amazon option, which took two tries, as regular intl Mail was supposedly unable to ship. After my money was returned in mid-March, I said “To he**” and tried the DHL option as a last resort. Success!

But I now have it & worth it for the DAAG dancers. Love Francesca! Laura! Alexander, as you note. A great cast.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeannette said:

Have a look at 'moviemars' trader in South Carolina. They have had the Cellist DVD listed for some time. Maybe for future reference, but just a thought. US $32.82Approximately £23.75

Opus Arte have just reissued the 1968 recording of Ashton's Cinderella on DVD. From the comments made on Amazon it does not sound as if the tape has been restored which is a pity but should not deter anyone from buying a copy as the cast involved is a vintage one from the company's 1960's "golden age". Its great selling point is that everyone who appears in it is completely familiar with Ashton's choreography his aesthetic  and his style,which means they dance their roles in a completely idiomatic manner. On a big  occasion such as this broadcast Ashton would have been involved in coaching the leading dancers, ensuring that they and his choreographic set pieces were seen to best advantage.

The recording gives the viewer Sibley and Dowell as Cinderella and her Prince; Ashton and Helpmann as the Stepsisters; Leslie Edwards as the Father;Alexander Grant as the Jester in a performance which makes it clear that he is a character rather than the leg machine which subsequent changes of costume and make up have made him and Georgina Parkinson as the Fairy Godmother who is transformed from beggar into fairy on stage and whose entourage of season fairies give their variations real character. If I remember correctly, it also includes Christopher Carr as the Dancing Master with Dereck Rencher and Wayne Sleep as the sisters' partners in the ballroom scene. In fact it gives the viewer an entire cast who had the great advantage over most casts seen this century of being able to dance the choreography with apparent ease and at the right speed. No one involved in this performance mistakes apparent simplicity for lack of content or lack of character and no one makes a big thing about technical challenges when they arise. In short it is a performance in which the ballet is danced rather than one in which the steps are done or technique displayed. 

• Like 10

I had the old DVD and wondered whether it was worth buying this re-release and I am very happy that I did, for one thing there are chapters now, which weren't on the original, and I would say the picture quality is at least slightly improved, so this performance is more beautiful than ever!

• Like 2

Cinderella:

As usual, I find myself agreeing with everything Floss has written.

However, for once I can add a footnote

The Dancing Master was not Christopher Carr. According to the BBC's running titles at the end of the ballet, the Dancing Master is listed as Keith Martin. This is wrong.

Keith was scheduled to dance the role but was taken ill, and the role was in fact danced by Frank Freeman at 24 hours notice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Productions of Massine Choreography are very scarce and Unitel are releasing one on Blu-Ray on 21st August 21

Pablo Picasso at Pompeii: Satie - Parade; Stravinsky - Pulcinella

Listed on Amazon but not yet available to order, available to pre order on Europadisc

Free Preview or full version to subscribers available on Medici TV

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Stevie said:

Productions of Massine Choreography are very scarce and Unitel are releasing one on Blu-Ray on 21st August 21

Pablo Picasso at Pompeii: Satie - Parade; Stravinsky - Pulcinella

Listed on Amazon but not yet available to order, available to pre order on Europadisc

Free Preview or full version to subscribers available on Medici TV

I have this through a friend who captured the telecast. Highly recommended! It’s a truly magnificent program of two rare gems of balletic history. 

• Like 4

There's a 15 DVD/Blu Ray set bring issued in September titled The Royal Ballet: Classic Collection.Mostly older performances - R and J with Acosta/Rojo, Sylvia with Bussell, Bayadere, Swan Lake with Nunez/Soares etc. Most recent is Winters Tale. Could be worth considering if you have gaps that need filling, especially as it's being offered at a bargain price of £94.46 by Europadisc. Not on Amazon yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ninamargaret said:

There's a 15 DVD/Blu Ray set bring issued in September titled The Royal Ballet: Classic Collection.Mostly older performances - R and J with Acosta/Rojo, Sylvia with Bussell, Bayadere, Swan Lake with Nunez/Soares etc. Most recent is Winters Tale. Could be worth considering if you have gaps that need filling, especially as it's being offered at a bargain price of £94.46 by Europadisc. Not on Amazon yet.

I thought there already was a 15-disc set?  So expensive that nobody would get close to buying it for me for Christmas.  (I mean, it's a nice idea, and a relative bargain that size, of course, but even so, it's impractical price-wise).  Or is this a different one?

6 minutes ago, alison said:

I thought there already was a 15-disc set?  So expensive that nobody would get close to buying it for me for Christmas.  (I mean, it's a nice idea, and a relative bargain that size, of course, but even so, it's impractical price-wise).  Or is this a different one?

Alison, I was probably closest, but I didn't even know you wanted it for Christmas

Edited by Stevie
typo