Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

34 minutes ago, alison said:

I thought there already was a 15-disc set?  So expensive that nobody would get close to buying it for me for Christmas.  (I mean, it's a nice idea, and a relative bargain that size, of course, but even so, it's impractical price-wise).  Or is this a different one?

It sounds like a reissue of the existing set, which amazon says is temporarily out of stock. This was actually one of my first ballet DVD purchases - definitely a great way to start a collection for anyone in that position. I remember spending a very enjoyable wet Easter weekend a few years ago making my way through quite a bit of it. It was the first time I'd seen many of the ballets. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I can just see that it is released by C- Major, to be released on 19/11/21 and contains 5 discs, at least one of which appears to be by Prokofiev. I can only take a guess at what they will be, but possibly a compilation of recent singly released discs. 

My best shot, for speculation,  would be five from Romeo & Juliet, Sleeping Beauty, Le Corsaire, The Lovers Garden, Gala des Etoiles, Raymonda, Notre dame de Paris, Tchaikovsky Gala and Don Quixote.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DanJL said:

Thanks for the insight, sounds like it could be an interesting collection. At least 19th November isn't too long to wait - I'll keep my eyes out for it! 

Now confirmed . ROMEO AND JULIET:  Roberto Bolle and Misty Copeland. THE SLEEPING BEAUTY: Polina Semionova. DON QUIXOTE: Natalia Osipova and Leonid Sarafanov. LE CORSAIRE: Nicoletta Manni and THE LOVER´S GARDEN: Nicoletta Manni.

I have these all on blu-ray except for this Don Quixote and can highly recommend the other four. The Don Quixote has classy Russian leads and so high expectations.

https://youtu.be/S4ZHq-0D1yo

Edited by Stevie
  • Like 2

Although a 2015 release, the 'Gala Mariinsky 2' has some little gems. So perhaps a more appropriate slot could be found.

If you look carefully, you can see Yulia Stepanova, now principle with the Bolshoi. in the Corps de Ballet for Kingdom of the Shades and in Jewells; also Xander Parish, now Mariinsky Principle, in Corps de Ballet of Etudes.

Of course there are more obvious treats, like Ulyana Lapatkina in Pavlova & Cecchetti, Ekaterina Kondaurova in The Dying Swan, Diana Vishneva in Carman Suite, Olga Assina in Leda and the Swan, Oksana Skorik in Diamonds and Kimin Kim in Etudes.

• Like 1

Not sure whether this is the correct place, but didn't know where to post it. Please relocate it as fit.

If you search, there is the FULL Acosta / Osipova Giselle being streamed on YouTube. I've no idea how long it might remain up There is also a full Osipova Coppelia with the Bolshoi.

1 hour ago, RosiesDream said:

Not sure whether this is the correct place, but didn't know where to post it. Please relocate it as fit.

If you search, there is the FULL Acosta / Osipova Giselle being streamed on YouTube. 

Which is pirated and therefore copyright violation. 

12 minutes ago, RosiesDream said:

I'm sorry, I didn't look to see who posted it

The only reason I mentioned it was because it can potentially get the Forum in trouble.  IMO the ROH is missing an opportunity by not posting full ballets online. They might reach a wider audience, especially for older performances like the one you mentioned.  

26 minutes ago, oncnp said:

The only reason I mentioned it was because it can potentially get the Forum in trouble.  IMO the ROH is missing an opportunity by not posting full ballets online. They might reach a wider audience, especially for older performances like the one you mentioned.  

No, it was my fault, I got over-excited :) I actually have the Acosta DVD, but, of course, these days computers don't have the capability. It's why I spend too much time on YouTube - my 500 music CDs are mostly redundant, because now playing them is confined to one room, and then not late at night. I shall have to be more careful.

27 minutes ago, RosiesDream said:

I actually have the Acosta DVD, but, of course, these days computers don't have the capability

Do you mean you can't play DVDs on your computer? Only you should be able to get an external DVD or Blu Ray drive which  plugs into a USB socket.

8 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Do you mean you can't play DVDs on your computer? Only you should be able to get an external DVD or Blu Ray drive which  plugs into a USB socket.

I do have on external drive but it's not terribly convenient as I mostly use the laptop in bed. I have some DVDs on it's hard drive, but it's quite full, and of course, not the Giselle. I keep telling BD that I need a better laptop with a bigger drive and wouldn't-you-know-it's-my-birthday-in-a-couple-of-months...It might work :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RosiesDream said:

If you search, there is the FULL Acosta / Osipova Giselle being streamed on YouTube. I've no idea how long it might remain up There is also a full Osipova Coppelia with the Bolshoi.

The copyright is owned by Naxos. I once reported a breach of copyright directly to them, of 'Jewells'. I got a thank you, but in reality not a lot of interest, with the impression that I was bothering them. 

I have it on blu-ray but they declined my request to release 'Jewells' on blu-ray so that we could purchase it, which was my objective.

I hope you enjoyed it.

Edited by Stevie
typo

27 minutes ago, Stevie said:

The copyright is owned by Naxos. I once reported a breach of copyright directly to them, of 'Jewells'. I got a thank you, but in reality not a lot of interest, with the impression that I was bothering them. 

I have it on blu-ray but they declined my request to release 'Jewells' on blu-ray so that we could purchase it, which was my objective.

I hope you enjoyed it.

I have notified the ROH in the past via IG and the illegal posts and in some cases the entire channel have pretty promptly disappeared.

21 minutes ago, oncnp said:

I have notified the ROH in the past via IG and the illegal posts and in some cases the entire channel have pretty promptly disappeared.

Good for you, I hope they were able to turn it to their advantage. In my case I was hoping that they would be able to sell a product. 'Jewells' disappeared after about a month, so no one got to see it. I think a lose, lose situation.

8 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Good for you, I hope they were able to turn it to their advantage. In my case I was hoping that they would be able to sell a product. 'Jewells' disappeared after about a month, so no one got to see it. I think a lose, lose situation.

Actually, I was just trying to see if they would do anything about it (i.e. did they care - apparently they do). 

2 hours ago, Stevie said:

I hope you enjoyed it.

I am truly sorry about this - I just didn't look to see who posted it. I was trying to do a good deed. The Osipova/ Acosta Giselle is on my DVD shelf already, although I must say I would like to buy the Coppelia. I'm going to have to put it down to a [steep] learning curve

We have all made the same mistake at sometime, so no need to be sorry. It can be difficult to recognise the  difference because they can be of such good quality and cleverly disguised channel names . It is simple for those uploading them to move them by Video Manager into private files, suspend or delete. I have noticed that most of these are removed after a short period by the uploaders and may re appear months later, which could indicate that they are moving them around, maybe to avoid complaints and detection. 

• Like 1

On 06/10/2021 at 12:18, Stevie said:

Soon to be released on Blu-Ray (and DVD)

Minkus Don Quixote ( Nureyev, Helpmann & Powell)

Schubert  Winterreise - Ballet Zurich

La Scala - Ballet Box

Pas d'Ecole - Paris Opera Ballet School

I notice what it says about the soon to be release Don Quixote with Nureyev, Helpman and Powel. (Lovingly restored from the original 35mm film, and to be heard for the first time in full surround sound digital stereo created for the DVD and Blu-ray release, this is finally, how Nureyev intended his Don Quixote to be seen and heard.)

• Like 2

Might I add a few words from the perspective of a copyright holder? My company owns the copyright in several hundred hours of archive television programming, some of which is valuable and may indeed become more valuable as the years roll on and people move from life into history:

https://www.openmedia.co.uk

The opinions of my colleagues on the subject of YouTube run across the spectrum, from digital anarchy ("there is no point in protecting anything, that is so 20th century") to the pragmatic ("if people steal our clips and spread them around, that's good advertising") to legalistic exactitude ("anyone who uses our IP without a licence is breaking the law").

I need to strike a fair balance in a world where almost everyone is getting accustomed to finding almost everything online within a few minutes of searching. We tend to ask YouTube to take down poor quality copies of our material which end up online, as we have come across a fair few media companies who sadly try and exploit our footage without our permission (footage they rip from YouTube). Whether we like it or not, we are bound by the contracts which govern this content, much of it produced in another era.

But we have our own YouTube channel, continue to release clips on a regular basis for free and, if someone has a particular research interest, we try and help out with copies for a small fee, subject to various legal restrictions.

Hope this helps provide a little context. I don't however pretend to speak for the BBC or other such large operations.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Might I add a few words from the perspective of a copyright holder? My company owns the copyright in several hundred hours of archive television programming, some of which is valuable and may indeed become more valuable as the years roll on and people move from life into history:

The opinions of my colleagues on the subject of YouTube run across the spectrum, from digital anarchy ("there is no point in protecting anything, that is so 20th century") to the pragmatic ("if people steal our clips and spread them around, that's good advertising") to legalistic exactitude ("anyone who uses our IP without a licence is breaking the law").

I need to strike a fair balance in a world where almost everyone is getting accustomed to finding almost everything online within a few minutes of searching. We tend to ask YouTube to take down poor quality copies of our material which end up online, as we have come across a fair few media companies who sadly try and exploit our footage without our permission (footage they rip from YouTube). Whether we like it or not, we are bound by the contracts which govern this content, much of it produced in another era.

But we have our own YouTube channel, continue to release clips on a regular basis for free and, if someone has a particular research interest, we try and help out with copies for a small fee, subject to various legal restrictions.

Hope this helps provide a little context. I don't however pretend to speak for the BBC or other such large operations.

It appears that this thread is going to continue amongst the Upcoming Releases thread, so is it possible for a moderator to move it to a relevant thread. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Sorry to go even further off topic, but - you made After Dark? What a remarkable thing; you must be very proud!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

What a nice thing to say Lizbie1, how good you remember! 

I wasn't really old enough to watch it at the time - I don't know if you'll be pleased to learn that I've mostly seen it on YouTube!

I shared a link a few weeks ago with my older brother, who recognised it straight away and remembered how watchable (his word) it was.

1 hour ago, Sebastian said:

It is right that IP should be protected and able to provide revenue for its owners as well as lawful sharing. In the case I cited, 'Jewels', I was trying to pursued the owner to sell it to me and to the world, but they protected their rights to bury it, after a successful cinema viewing. I claimed that it was the best of the various productions of this piece and I have them all to compare. What a loss this has been to people like those on this forum. There was an official taster clip on you tube as well, to advertise what ?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2021 at 18:10, Jane S said:

It's in colour, assuming it's from the tape.

Nice cast, too.

Thanks to those who posted about the release of 1969 recording of Ashton’s Cinderella, I now have my own copy on DVD. I couldn’t be happier as I saw the same cast perform the ballet at the ROH roughly 10 days after the recording was done. It is like having the permanent version of one of my earliest and still most vivid ballet memories.  

• Like 7