Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

J'accuse....

My guess is that the huge interest in the release of the Ashton  69 recording of Cinderella reflects the dearth  of recordings on disk during the pandemic. Orchestra, ballet and opera companies around the world have been streaming a wealth of otherwise unavailable material  for which I have been profoundly grateful but for whatever reasons this has not been reflected in releases on disk. The pandemic offered an unique opportunity to recording companies to release recordings that we know are available but have never found their way to disk many of which were broadcast once and never seen again - opportunities that have been wasted. Examples abound - on the opera front for example Birtwistle's Gawain, a huge work of Wagnerian proportions; on the baller front, Darcey Bussell's farewell performance of MacMillan's Song of the Earth, one of his finest works and unavailable on disk. We can all think of other examples and I'm sure there are reasons (excuses!) but I for one am bitterly disappointed by this failure by recording companies to rise to the opportunity.     

• Like 6

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Gawain really not get released?  It hasn't been shown since just after the House reopened, that I know - is it for lack of appropriate singers?  And yes, I'm as bemused as you are at the lack of Song of the Earth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tony Newcombe said:

As long as it also contained Symphonic Variations. Belinda Hatley’s farewell performance on the same evening

that was a night and a half!

And to this day, I still can't believe Belinda Hatley wasn't ever made a Principal...

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 26/11/2021 at 13:34, Stevie said:

Not a new release, but a bargain at the moment on Amazon. The 3 disc Ashton Collection Vol. 1, on blu-ray for £9.96. That's less than half the price of each disc if purchased separately.

The Amazon price of this Ashton set is now back up to £38.56. It is difficult to understand or predict how the market is working.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

An interesting documentary will be released on 13th May, it follows the POB 's return from lockdown, and the rehearsals for Rudolf Nureyev's La Bayadere, titled "A Very Special Season" cost £18.99 for both the DVD and Blu-Ray from Amazon.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 13/10/2021 at 19:34, Lizbie1 said:

Sorry to go even further off topic, but - you made After Dark? What a remarkable thing; you must be very proud!

I thought you and Sebastian were talking about the print magazine, After Dark. Maybe not? Clarification please!

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, alison said:

Not waiting for a Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake to complete the set, then ...

These are all re releases, re marketed probably because new sales are running out of steam. Caution is advised for the thrifty because the Alice's is currently available to buy online, as used, for £2 and the R&J/Nutcracker often pops up for a little more. Only the cellist and two pigeons are hard to find at low cost, so for those interested in the two and don't have the others, it may thus be a reasonable buy.

And yes, I would like to add Laurens swan lake to my collection sometime.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

These are all re releases, re marketed probably because new sales are running out of steam. 

Maybe; but also, surely, as a tribute to a long serving star (as with Marianela) and a nod to fans who would like the set.

But, yes, there are cheaper options available and Swan Lake should have been included.

17 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

And please let us have the Nunez/Bonelli Manon!

This would be from the streaming of 2014 when there was a clamouring for the RB to release this on DVD and its first blu-ray version. Despite this they decided against it and the possibility of it being released now is gone. At the time, there was extremely high praises for the performance of a 22 year old Francesca Hayward in this leading role. This wouldn't have detracted from the a release on DVD or blu-ray and I was advised at the time that the resultant film material wasn't considered to be good enough.

This wasn't remedied until 2019, with a release of Sarah Lamb and Vadim Muntagirov in the Royal Ballets first release of this production on blu-ray. There may be future releases, but undoubtedly of future cast and productions. 

• 1 month later...

Opus Arte are about to release 'The Art of Vadim Muntagirov' on DVD and Blu-Ray. A four disc set including 'The Sleeping Beauty', 'Manon', 'Giselle' and 'Coppelia'. All previously released material, no doubt in an attempt to squeeze a little more revenue out of old material. Something new would have been a welcome bonus.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Opus Arte are about to release 'The Art of Vadim Muntagirov' on DVD and Blu-Ray. A four disc set including 'The Sleeping Beauty', 'Manon', 'Giselle' and 'Coppelia'. All previously released material, no doubt in an attempt to squeeze a little more revenue out of old material. Something new would have been a welcome bonus.

If only the 'something new' could have been A Month in the Country which Muntagirov danced so memorably with Laura Morera.

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Maybe it comes with a free Vadream catcher in the box 😄

• Like 2

9 hours ago, capybara said:

If only the 'something new' could have been A Month in the Country which Muntagirov danced so memorably with Laura Morera.

Definitely!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd have paid a huge amount for this alone and am still feeling very cheated it wasn't filmed.

• Like 6