Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

19 hours ago, Beryl H said:

Amazon have the Blu-Ray now for £21.81 (funny price) released on 6th November.

I've ordered it, sounds fascinating!

With more emphasis on male dancing in the first act, including a dancing High Brahmin, Indian influenced head and hand movements in the choreography, removal of the 'dead parrot scene' and retention of the purity of the final act, sounds excellent.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

Ballet Zurich are releasing a Christian Spuck triple bill on DVD & Blu-Ray on 20th Nov 2020. Verdi Requiem, Nutcracker and Romeo &Juliet

I already have 4 blu-rays on pre-order and that's just in the Dance category. Suddenly they seem to be coming think and fast. I'm ashamed to say I don't know Christian Spuck's work, let alone these productions and, committed though I am to supporting both the format and the Art form, I really would need some advice if I am to lash out on another 3 in these straitened times! Can anyone help please?     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David said:

I already have 4 blu-rays on pre-order and that's just in the Dance category. Suddenly they seem to be coming think and fast. I'm ashamed to say I don't know Christian Spuck's work, let alone these productions and, committed though I am to supporting both the format and the Art form, I really would need some advice if I am to lash out on another 3 in these straitened times! Can anyone help please?     

I wouldn't call him contemporary, but  a modern take on classical style. Easy watching and I like his version of the Verdi Requiem best of these three. His colors are in his choreography and not in his staging. If it were available separately at a fare price, requiem would be my selection. I believe there are better Nutcracker and R&J's. I am currently spending nothing on Theater and so cost is not such an issue. My advise, for what it is worth, is, as long as you have La Bayadere on pre-order, then you are doing extremely well, a must have. When I purchase I have an additional decision, what is to go to make space for it and there are things that I do not want to part with. I do hope this helps, Regards, Steve

Edited by Stevie
missing text
  • Like 1

Pursuing my own question, I see that to buy these 3 blu-rays separately on Amazon would cost £79.28 while the cost for the blu-ray re-issue of the triple bill on 20/11 is listed at £43.20; cost-wise at least that's attractive!

As one would expect, the separate blurbs on the 3 disks are also intriguing:

With the Messa da Requiem, Christian Spuck brought one of Verdi’s key works to the stage. In a large-scale co-production by the Ballett and Oper Zürich, the German choreograp-her and director ventured to portray an unusual interpretation of Verdis funeral mass in his scenic-choreographic production. 36 dancers, the choir and supplementary choir of the Opernhaus Zürich as well as four highly acclaimed soloists joined together under the direction of Fabio Luisi for 13 wide-ranging scenes dedicated to one of the most fundamental themes of humanity. Christian Spuck does not seek a mere religious interpretation of the liturgical text. Instead, he is interested in focusing on people who, in their vulnerability and helplessness, are in the search for comfort. In poetic tableaux he deals with basic human emotions and focuses on the feelings of fear, rage, pain, sadness and the search for redemption.

Shakespeares play Romeo and Juliet has inspired generations of artists to adaptations like scarcely any other work. In his colorful, passionate music, the Russian composer Sergei Prokofiev brilliantly captured the clash of love and hatred, and the proximity of tenderness and violence. Inspired by Prokofievs vivid music and the timeless quality of Shakespeares tragedy, choreographer Christian Spuck and the Ballett Zürich narrate the most famous love story in world literature using strong images that are full of enthralling theatricality and touching emotion. Michail Jurowski, a true Prokofiev expert, is at the rostrum of the Philharmonia Zürich.Recorded live at Opernhaus ZürichJune 2019

Christian Spuck puts the literary origin at the heart of his choreography of 'The Nutcracker and the Mouse King', emphasizing the fantastical nature of the original rather than the delightful Christmas fairytale and bringing back the tale of princess Pirlipat, who turns into a nut monster, as told by E.T.A. Hoffmann. On stage, Drosselmeiers workshop turns into an old revue-theater, where the ballets characters come to life. Spucks choreography plays with the richness of characters in Hoffmann's narrative cosmos, the absurdity and overwrought humor that inhabit them, while at the same time looking down into the dark abyss of Romanticism.

Still trying to track down criic's reviews for a more independent view on these productions but "looking down into the dark abyss of Romanticism" seems quite an attractive option as I gaze out at the grey, rain-drenched covid world outside my window. 

• Like 1

Sorry Stevie - our contributions seem to have crossed. Helpful as always. Apart from Bayadere, there is of course Coppelia, Sleeping Beauty and Cellist/dances to look forward to. I have so many recordings of the Verdi Requiem, both audio and video, going back to the 50's but like the Ukraine Carmina Burana that I acquired on your recommendation yonks ago, the prospect of a choral, choreographed version is attractive, particularly since I have seen at least two of the soloists in performance at the Royal Opera. Not so keen of R&J - we've had rather a lot of that recently and the bar is pretty high but given the price reduction I've decided to have a punt. So thank you.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, David said:

Sorry Stevie - our contributions seem to have crossed. Helpful as always. Apart from Bayadere, there is of course Coppelia, Sleeping Beauty and Cellist/dances to look forward to. I have so many recordings of the Verdi Requiem, both audio and video, going back to the 50's but like the Ukraine Carmina Burana that I acquired on your recommendation yonks ago, the prospect of a choral, choreographed version is attractive, particularly since I have seen at least two of the soloists in performance at the Royal Opera. Not so keen of R&J - we've had rather a lot of that recently and the bar is pretty high but given the price reduction I've decided to have a punt. So thank you.   

Just watched my Verdi requiem through again and enjoyed even more than I remembered. However I also recall that I was wary of the Nutcracker and so didn't venture to buy it. Instead I invested in another Zurich ballet Blu-Ray production, currently available on ebay to buy, at £6, free p&p, very easy watching , 'Dance & Quartet / Blu Ray / Hagen Quartet / Zurcher Ballett / Heinz 3 Ballets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevie said:

Just watched my Verdi requiem through again and enjoyed even more than I remembered. However I also recall that I was wary of the Nutcracker and so didn't venture to buy it. Instead I invested in another Zurich ballet Blu-Ray production, currently available on ebay to buy, at £6, free p&p, very easy watching , 'Dance & Quartet / Blu Ray / Hagen Quartet / Zurcher Ballett / Heinz 3 Ballets.

Wow, that's a bargain! I've always been a fan of the Hagens and have recordings by them going back to the 80s including the pieces on this disk. Their combination with the Zurich Ballet is a mouthwatering prospect so I've snapped it up. Something to watch while I'm waiting for the pre-orders! Thank you.

• Like 1

Spuck’s Nutcracker is a total delight! Not only a clever twist in the story but an opportunity to watch the beautiful young ballerina Lou Spichtig (then 15 or 16) in a major role. After winning gold at Varna, at age 16, she moved to Queensland, Australia:

https://www.queenslandballet.com.au/company/team/dancers/lou-yaa-spichtig

This Nutcracker is a keeper.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Spuck’s Nutcracker is a total delight! Not only a clever twist in the story but an opportunity to watch the beautiful young ballerina Lou Spichtig (then 15 or 16) in a major role. After winning gold at Varna, at age 16, she moved to Queensland, Australia:

https://www.queenslandballet.com.au/company/team/dancers/lou-yaa-spichtig

This Nutcracker is a keeper.

Thank you Jeannette, that's a boost - I'm really looking forward to receiving this set now!

Edited by David

On 08/10/2020 at 03:03, David said:

Wow, that's a bargain! I've always been a fan of the Hagens and have recordings by them going back to the 80s including the pieces on this disk. Their combination with the Zurich Ballet is a mouthwatering prospect so I've snapped it up. Something to watch while I'm waiting for the pre-orders! Thank you.

I would be interested to learn how your recordings compare with this production. I haven't any recordings of theirs other than this and the sound is good played through a DAC.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2020 at 03:03, David said:

Should you find that you are interested by quartets and quintets fronted by ballet performance, you may wish to take a look at 'The Lovers Garden' from La Scala, if you don't already have it. Although not wishing to lead you to further expenditure, you can see my review on Amazon.

• Like 1

Oh Stevie - I really must stop spending money - but as the man said I can resist anything but temptation! Can't see a cheap copy comparable to the Zurich/Hagen Dance and Quartet you found but I've set up a search on eBay and will wait for one to come along.  For now though I think I've got quite enough to keep me going!

Meanwhile, going back to your earlier comments abut the RB Jewels, I'm still hoping that this might still be released. I'm reminded of Menuhin's comment - "I admire virtuosity, I enjoy virtuosity but at the end of the day it is self-defeating". The same could be said about tchnology and the obsession with perfection. If such obsession had been in place in the past, many of the greatest performances ever released on record would never have been heard. We don't worry about the odd fluffed note or, for that matter the odd misstep in live performance. If Jewels can't be released on disk then it should be streamed. It was far too fine to be left to wither. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, David said:

Oh Stevie - I really must stop spending money - but as the man said I can resist anything but temptation! Can't see a cheap copy comparable to the Zurich/Hagen Dance and Quartet you found but I've set up a search on eBay and will wait for one to come along.  For now though I think I've got quite enough to keep me going!

Meanwhile, going back to your earlier comments abut the RB Jewels, I'm still hoping that this might still be released. I'm reminded of Menuhin's comment - "I admire virtuosity, I enjoy virtuosity but at the end of the day it is self-defeating". The same could be said about tchnology and the obsession with perfection. If such obsession had been in place in the past, many of the greatest performances ever released on record would never have been heard. We don't worry about the odd fluffed note or, for that matter the odd misstep in live performance. If Jewels can't be released on disk then it should be streamed. It was far too fine to be left to wither. 

Currently being streamed complete on youtube

17 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Currently being streamed complete on youtube

That is The Lovers Garden. Don't think our chances for Jewels on disc are very good, although the Bolshoi version with a good cast is currently streaming on youtube.

• Like 1

Opus Arte are about to re issue the DVD  of The Nureyev/ Lesley Collier Nutcracker from the ROH. All that I can see is that it is re packaged. It is not clear if it has been restored or enhanced in any way.

I would have expected the recent Jewells to be a better commercial option, due to the modern filming techniques, but maybe hope for us yet.

43 minutes ago, Naomi M said:

The Bolshoi's Jewels must be a pirated one. But there is a Mariinsky Ballet version (available on disc as well) which is a legal online version. 

Diamonds with Uliana Lopatkina is just divine.

There's also the POB version available on disc, but as I have stated in my begging mails to Naxos, neither of them come close to the Royal Ballet Version in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stevie said:

There's also the POB version available on disc, but as I have stated in my begging mails to Naxos, neither of them come close to the Royal Ballet Version in my humble opinion.

Edited by David
Sorry scrubbed this - getting my Nutcrackers mixed up!

20 hours ago, Stevie said:

Opus Arte are about to re issue the DVD  of The Nureyev/ Lesley Collier Nutcracker from the ROH. All that I can see is that it is re packaged. It is not clear if it has been restored or enhanced in any way.

I would have expected the recent Jewells to be a better commercial option, due to the modern filming techniques, but maybe hope for us yet.

I remain confused re this. Amongst my plethora of Nutcrackers, I have a performance recorded in 1985 in which Lesley Collier is partnered by Anthony Dowell & Michael Coleman, and a performance from 1968, choreographed by Nureyev in which he is partnered by Merle Park as Clara. I had no knowledge of a performance in which Nureyev is partnered by Collier but now see it listed, DVD only, on amazon in which, contrary to the Nureyev/Collier listing, the blurb identifies it as the Nureyev/Park 1968 recording!!!

If the blurb is correct and it is the 1968 Nureyev/Park version, though it is a performance to be treasured, it would need a heck of a lot of restoration to justify a re-purchase if my current copy is anything to go by but perhaps with modern technology it will emerge in pristine form.

Like Stevie I find it an odd choice.

Edited by David
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, David said:

I remain confused re this. Amongst my plethora of Nutcrackers, I have a performance recorded in 1985 in which Lesley Collier is partnered by Michael Coleman, and a performance from 1968, choreographed by Nureyev in which he is partnered by Merle Park as Clara. I had no knowledge of a performance in which Nureyev is partnered by Collier but now see it listed, DVD only, on amazon in which, contrary to the Nureyev/Collier listing, the blurb identifies it as the Nureyev/Park 1968 recording!!!

If the blurb is correct and it is the 1968 Nureyev/Park version, though it is a performance to be treasured, it would need a heck of a lot of restoration to justify a re-purchase if my current copy is anything to go by but perhaps with modern technology it will emerge in pristine form.

Like Stevie I find it an odd choice.

I found this listing on KULTUR, stating it has been digitally enhanced, but appears at the moment to be DVD only.

This historic 1968 Covent Garden production of Tchaikovsky's ballet masterpiece captures Rudolf Nureyev at the peak of his career. Nureyev's legendary performance makes this the definitive "Nutcracker" on DVD. Also features Merle Park as Clara, with Artists of the Royal Ballet, London.

Now digitally re-mastered for DVD, this Nutcracker will be the highlight of every holiday season for years to come

• Like 1

Thanks Stevie - well that's clear, though my loyalty to the Peter Wright production remains undimmed and I certainly don't see it as "the definitive Nutcracker on DVD".

Nor do I understand  what "the highlight of every holiday season for years to come" might mean. Unless they are assuming it will be an annual TV Xmas treat.

Very sloppy marketing!

Edited by David
Spelling!

12 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I found this listing on KULTUR, stating it has been digitally enhanced, but appears at the moment to be DVD only.

This historic 1968 Covent Garden production of Tchaikovsky's ballet masterpiece captures Rudolf Nureyev at the peak of his career. Nureyev's legendary performance makes this the definitive "Nutcracker" on DVD. Also features Merle Park as Clara, with Artists of the Royal Ballet, London.

Now digitally re-mastered for DVD, this Nutcracker will be the highlight of every holiday season for years to come

I remain cautious. This has a different bar code to that released on KULTUR in 2000, but has exactly the same product code. I wonder if the mentioned digital tampering is when it was transferred to DVD from VHS.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Just a reminder that the RB's new Coppelia disc is now available...looking forward to watching this tomorrow night.

I watched it last night (Amazon were very quick off the mark) and thought it was beautiful, Act 3 in particular, loved the soft gentle style in which it was danced!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

The  RB's "The Cellist & Dances at a Gathering" is available to pre-order, out 22 January.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cellist-Dances-Gathering-Blu-ray/dp/B0892J1HKQ/ref=tmm_blu_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1609862916&sr=8-1

This will be available in the USA on 26 February. I found it on the Barnes & Noble site. 

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-the-cellist-dances-at-a-gathering/35056382

The US version of Amazon is becoming very difficult to navigate...it used to be so easy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon has just emailed to say the Dances At A Gathering blu ray has been delayed until 3rd March ☹️....no idea if that was at the request of Derbyshire police...

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 11