Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

Also POB Cinderella is available to rent or buy on Prime Video

just remember that if you buy a digital copy, in the US at least, you don't actually own it (books as well). It can be withdrawn at any time and for pretty much any reason

From the US Amazon T&C -" i. Availability of Purchased Digital Content. Purchased Digital Content will generally continue to be available to you for download or streaming from the Service, as applicable, but may become unavailable due to potential content provider licensing restrictions or for other reasons, and Amazon will not be liable to you if Purchased Digital Content becomes unavailable for further download or streaming."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, oncnp said:

just remember that if you buy a digital copy, in the US at least, you don't actually own it (books as well). It can be withdrawn at any time and for pretty much any reason

From the US Amazon T&C -" i. Availability of Purchased Digital Content. Purchased Digital Content will generally continue to be available to you for download or streaming from the Service, as applicable, but may become unavailable due to potential content provider licensing restrictions or for other reasons, and Amazon will not be liable to you if Purchased Digital Content becomes unavailable for further download or streaming."

Europe is the same for Amazon, i-tunes and others. Also if you, or Amazon close your account, you lose the ability to stream your purchase. If you buy a movie on disc, it usually comes with a digital code, so you get own the disc without it being taken away from you at any time plus you can stream it free whilst your account remains valid and the streaming is available. You can watch the disc without buffering, lost internet connection, you can loan it to friends, play it without access to an account and sell it on used to get money back. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stevie said:

..... Also if you, or Amazon close your account, you lose the ability to stream your purchase. .....

You interest me strangely - have you tried closing an account on Amazon - despite the reams of advice on-line it is virtually impossible or so I found when I last tried. In the end I just stopped using it and it remains up there gathering dust for all eternity. It's a salutory thought that thousands of years hence future generations will be able to gaze in wonder on my purchasing history! Or were you talking about closing Prime?

18 hours ago, FionaE said:

Surely DVDs should be being replaced by online pay-to-view versions?   I know one can already do this with some existing DVDs.

For instance the RB Sleeping Beauty - Alina Cojocaru, Federico Bonelli and Marianela Nunez (Lilac Fairy) - is free-to-view on Amazon Prime Video for prime subscribers.  Non-subscribers can rent it for £3.49!

Some people don't have sufficient, or any, online access and some people prefer to avoid Amazon. Some people just like having the actual items to use at will. To stop issuing dvds/blurays would not, imo, be a good idea.
(I was going to write something stronger but changed my mind)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, David said:

You interest me strangely - have you tried closing an account on Amazon - despite the reams of advice on-line it is virtually impossible or so I found when I last tried. In the end I just stopped using it and it remains up there gathering dust for all eternity. It's a salutory thought that thousands of years hence future generations will be able to gaze in wonder on my purchasing history! Or were you talking about closing Prime?

Yes, Prime, many times. The streaming is done through Prime. Fortunately it is so easy. I have opened an account by mistake several times, which is also very easy and then closed it. The Amazon customer services told me that thousands of people open accounts for the free trial, just before Christmas, to get free p&p. Then close them straight after. There was a problem not long ago where Amazon closed many accounts due to errors they had made in their account. However it is also very easy to cancel your Amazon account, but I did this only in error. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevie said:

Europe is the same for Amazon, i-tunes and others. Also if you, or Amazon close your account, you lose the ability to stream your purchase. If you buy a movie on disc, it usually comes with a digital code, so you get own the disc without it being taken away from you at any time plus you can stream it free whilst your account remains valid and the streaming is available. You can watch the disc without buffering, lost internet connection, you can loan it to friends, play it without access to an account and sell it on used to get money back. 

We may be getting away from the original intent of this thread, so it maybe useful if a moderator could consider whether this subject should be transferred to another thread.

On 21/09/2020 at 17:25, MargaretN7 said:

Some people don't have sufficient, or any, online access and some people prefer to avoid Amazon. Some people just like having the actual items to use at will. To stop issuing dvds/blurays would not, imo, be a good idea.
(I was going to write something stronger but changed my mind)

Even with on line access, without a TV browser, I have to use my computer browser and play on the small monitor, or I could run 40 feet of HDMI cable to my large screen Smart TV, but imagine if someone were to trip over it. Apparently the browsers which come integral to smart TV's are fairly poor quality. So continue with your DVDs and Blu-Rays and enjoy the convenience and quality. Nothing stronger needed, the message is clear.

Edited by Stevie
missing text
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevie said:

Opus Arte are releasing 'Romeo & Juliet Beyond Words' on 27th Nov, DVD & Blu-Ray. Currently shown by Presto Classical for pre order.

Great news!! I hope it includes a decent making of documentary 🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Great news!! I hope it includes a decent making of documentary 🙂

There was a short but interesting "making of" when it was shown on public television in the US . Hope they include that at least.

Edited by oncnp

9 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Opus Arte are usually very good with bonus extras.

Well they don't need to include a pullout poster of the ROH seating plan as I got one of those through the post this morning....and the accompanying literature left me surprised beyond words!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Well they don't need to include a pullout poster of the ROH seating plan as I got one of those through the post this morning....and the accompanying literature left me surprised beyond words!!

This was filmed on location, not at ROH. I doubt that OPUS ARTE or NAXOS have any knowledge of ROH seating plans.

6 minutes ago, Stevie said:

doubt that OPUS ARTE or NAXOS have any knowledge of ROH seating plans.

Opus Arte was owned by the ROH until a couple years ago but I'm not sure why they would be sending out seating plans. Perhaps its a new feature where you can pick your perspective? 

28 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Opus Arte was owned by the ROH until a couple years ago but I'm not sure why they would be sending out seating plans. Perhaps its a new feature where you can pick your perspective? 

The ROH posted out an A3 sized seating plan as part of its campaign to get people to spend as much as £10,000 to name a seat after you or a loved one.

26 minutes ago, Rob S said:

The ROH posted out an A3 sized seating plan as part of its campaign to get people to spend as much as £10,000 to name a seat after you or a loved one.

Checked it out. It says

"it is great to know that each performance someone will be sitting in ‘their seat’, wondering who they are!"

I always got into an argument when someone was sitting in my seat. Just shows how unreasonable I was.

On 30/09/2020 at 01:50, Stevie said:

Bel-Air Classical are releasing on 6th Nov, La Bayadere,  Mikhailovsky Theatre, Nacho Duato after Petipa. Trailer on Vimeo & youtube.

Thanks for pointing us to this, Stevie. The Blu-Ray is up on Amazon but not available for Pre-order yet. Haven't found it anywhere else. The description is intriguing and I shall certainly go for it when it becomes available to order:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08JRGP574?pf_rd_r=DGCYAC5X0VAE7F6V2K6Y&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David said:

Thanks for pointing us to this, Stevie. The Blu-Ray is up on Amazon but not available for Pre-order yet. Haven't found it anywhere else. The description is intriguing and I shall certainly go for it when it becomes available to order:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08JRGP574?pf_rd_r=DGCYAC5X0VAE7F6V2K6Y&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

It stars Angelina Vorontsova as Nikiya. She left the Bolshoi right after the acid attack on Felin. Supposedly she was being held back unfairly and the girlfriend of Dmitrichenko. I was wondering how she turned out given opportunity and here it is. It is up on youtube, all three acts, so had a sneak peek. Very good I would say. 

Edited by Stevie
typo
  • Like 1

On 01/10/2020 at 09:32, David said:

Presto Classical for pre release to order now.

I came across this article which reflects on the future of physical discs and clearly this business is responding to the challenges of streaming. It still continues to be a Multi Billion $ business. Of course performing arts is a small proportion of this, as is streaming.

'The market for DVD and Blu-ray discs has been on life support for years, as streaming has become the technology of choice for home video customers.
In the last decade, the U.S. market for physical discs has gone from a more than $10-billion business to roughly a third of that in terms of consumer spending, according to data from the Digital Entertainment Group.
But studios aren’t ready to give up just yet. Two major players, Universal Pictures and Warner Bros., have proposed an unusual plan to stay in the business of selling shiny physical discs.
The studios on Wednesday announced a plan to team up on a joint venture that, if approved by regulators, would handle North American distribution for DVDs, Blu-rays and 4K UHD discs for new releases, library titles and television shows. The idea is to combine resources to continue selling discs — while saving money.
The joint venture is expected to operate for up to 10 years, according to a news release.'

Edited by Stevie
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Stevie said:

I came across this article which reflects on the future of physical discs and clearly this business is responding to the challenges of streaming. It still continues to be a Multi Billion $ business. Of course performing arts is a small proportion of this, as is streaming.

'The market for DVD and Blu-ray discs has been on life support for years, as streaming has become the technology of choice for home video customers.
In the last decade, the U.S. market for physical discs has gone from a more than $10-billion business to roughly a third of that in terms of consumer spending, according to data from the Digital Entertainment Group.
But studios aren’t ready to give up just yet. Two major players, Universal Pictures and Warner Bros., have proposed an unusual plan to stay in the business of selling shiny physical discs.
The studios on Wednesday announced a plan to team up on a joint venture that, if approved by regulators, would handle North American distribution for DVDs, Blu-rays and 4K UHD discs for new releases, library titles and television shows. The idea is to combine resources to continue selling discs — while saving money.
The joint venture is expected to operate for up to 10 years, according to a news release.'

I get very tired of being told that my preferences, choices and tastes are out of kilter with the majority and so should no longer be catered for. It seems to me that a lot of tech 'advances' are simply ways of making more money for the providers and reducing choice for consumers.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, bridiem said:

I get very tired of being told that my preferences, choices and tastes are out of kilter with the majority and so should no longer be catered for. It seems to me that a lot of tech 'advances' are simply ways of making more money for the providers and reducing choice for consumers.

Not sure what your preferences are ? However, if you note, this article states how the studios are setting about marketing discs  to meet the challenges of streaming. Thus whatever preferences an individual has, can be met. I suspect you have read it incorrectly.

43 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Not sure what your preferences are ? However, if you note, this article states how the studios are setting about marketing discs  to meet the challenges of streaming. Thus whatever preferences an individual has, can be met. I suspect you have read it incorrectly.

Sorry, Stevie, I wasn't clear. I did 'like' your post because of the measures the studios are taking - I was just letting off steam generally!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

Sorry, Stevie, I wasn't clear. I did 'like' your post because of the measures the studios are taking - I was just letting off steam generally!

In the present climate, its best to relieve pressure, otherwise we may just burst.

• Like 1

On 01/10/2020 at 10:56, Stevie said:

It stars Angelina Vorontsova as Nikiya. She left the Bolshoi right after the acid attack on Felin. Supposedly she was being held back unfairly and the girlfriend of Dmitrichenko. I was wondering how she turned out given opportunity and here it is. It is up on youtube, all three acts, so had a sneak peek. Very good I would say. 

Amazon have the Blu-Ray now for £21.81 (funny price) released on 6th November.

I've ordered it, sounds fascinating!

• Like 1