Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

I keep a close eye on DVD/Blu ray releases and I keep meaning to share them here.  Amazon UK (other sites are available) have a number of upcoming DVD/Blu-ray releases available for pre-order:

The Merry Widow, National Ballet of Canada, Karen Kain/John Meehan/Raymond Smith/Yoko Ichino.  This was previously available on VHS but think it's the first time it's been released on disc.

DVD

Blu-ray

Caravaggio Special Edition, Staatsballet Berlin, Vladimir Malakhov/Polina Semionova.  Looks like a re-issue of the 2009 release, with the addition of an audio CD.

DVD

Blu-ray

Napoli, Royal Danish Ballet, Alexandra Lo Sardo/Alban Lendorf/Benjamen Buza.  A new staging by Nikolaj Hübbe and Sorella Englund.

DVD

Blu-ray

Cinderella, Mariinsky Ballet, Diana Vishneva/Vladimir Shklyarov.  This is the Ratmansky version, interestingly it looks like this is only going to be released as a DVD/Blu-ray combi pack.

DVD + Blu-ray

All due for release on 25th September except Cinderella which is 2nd October.

• Like 4

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, charliewise, for starting this thread.  It would be very useful if other people could keep this updated as well, because I for one never have any idea what releases are coming up.  I have the Merry Widow on VHS, but have never got around to watching it, and I think it's in storage at the moment.

Oh, and welcome back - I didn't realise you were a "newbie" on this site!

Merry Widow is a brilliant ballet for anyone who hasn't already seen it. I think it's terrible more companies don't perform it as I've never seen it performed live. It is a wonderful vehicle for 2 leading couples, there's plenty of excellent choreography, humour, a wonderful score and fabulous sets and costumes. I could see ENB really getting their teeth into it but when I asked Tamara if there was a chance they may perform it she said not as it was too dated. I could see what she meant and it was the reply I expected but I don't think it's any more dated than Corsaire; possibly less as it is a 20th century ballet despite the score and plot being 19th century. there is already a dvd of Australian Ballet doing it though I don't know if it's currently available. The Canadian version stars Karen Kain who is wonderful in the leading role (a role I've always visualised Tamara playing).

Good to see the RDB issuing a new Blu-Ray and DVD at long last!

This is a revamped production, there's a review of it from Jane Simpson on Dancetabs in 2014, with completely new music for the second act and set in the 1950's, at least it's something different, as are most of these new releases :)

The release date for Caravaggio, The Merry Widow and The Ninth Syphony has now changed to 30th October apparently.

Also I noticed this news article on the ROH site - Fille with Osipova and McRae is due for release at some point, date tbc:

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/la-fille-mal-gardee-starring-natalia-osipova-and-steven-mcrae-to-be-released-on-dvd-and-blu-ray

Edited by charliewise
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And it's now up for pre-order on Amazon too (they're saying 30th Oct!)

Blu-ray: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ashton-Natalia-Christopher-Saunders-Orchestra/dp/B015ONJ55I/ref=sr_1_7?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1443121867&sr=1-7

DVD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ashton-Natalia-Christopher-Saunders-Orchestra/dp/B015ONJ58A/ref=sr_1_8?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1443122312&sr=1-8

My copy of Napoli has been despatched so I'll try to add some thoughts once I've watched it!

• Like 1

And it's now up for pre-order on Amazon too (they're saying 30th Oct!)

Blu-ray: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ashton-Natalia-Christopher-Saunders-Orchestra/dp/B015ONJ55I/ref=sr_1_7?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1443121867&sr=1-7

DVD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ashton-Natalia-Christopher-Saunders-Orchestra/dp/B015ONJ58A/ref=sr_1_8?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1443122312&sr=1-8

My copy of Napoli has been despatched so I'll try to add some thoughts once I've watched it!

Hope my Napoli arrives today too as I'm going to R and J tomorrow, Amazon deliver at very strange times now, quite late in the evening.

• Like 1

Just watched the Mariinsky Cinderella Blu-Ray, and despite the minimalist staging (and Valery Gergiev, who I have very little time for) it's a charming production, with Diana Vishneva utterly delightful as Cinderella.  I saw the Wheeldon Dutch National Ballet version at the Coliseum in the summer and I think that's still my favourite (despite the Bintley BRB version having its moments and not yet having seen the Ashton), but it's still a production well worth seeing.  Next up in my queue is Napoli.  Having seen the Royal Danish Ballet soloists at the Peacock Theatre earlier this year that's something I'm really looking forward to.

As there are very few recordings of Balanchine's works available on DVD and I don't think that anyone has mentioned them let me tell you about the release of a Balanchine treasure trove that is now available to the ballet enthusiast.

In 2014 VAI issued a series of DVDs which contain recordings of NYCB which were made in Canada in the1950's and 1960's.They have been issued under the title New York City Ballet in Montreal and mainly contain ballets by Balanchine and Robbins.Some of the Balanchine ballets are familiar to ballet goers in this country but many such as Raymonda Variations are not.Although they were not filmed in the best of circumstances they provide an extraordinary opportunity to see ballets which we may only know by name and dancers who we may have heard of but most of us have never seen such as Tanaquil Le Clercq, Jacques d'Amboise,Patricia Neary, Melissa Hayden and Diana Adams.They show the Balanchine style in process of being created and are, as such, interesting as historical documents but they also enable the viewer to gain a wider knowledge of Balanchine's works.There are a total of six DVDs and they are all worth watching.Some of them have been available in the ROH shop but needless to say they are all available on Amazon.I have bought several and so far I have not been disappointed.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It seems we're being spoilt on 30th October! - a few new ones up for this date:

Rain, Paris Opera Ballet, choreography Anne Theresa De Keersmaeker, music by Steve Reich:

DVD http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steve-Reich-Music-Musicians-Ballet/dp/B015HNXT66/ref=sr_1_15?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1444508528&sr=1-15

Blu-ray http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steve-Reich-Musicians-Ballet-Blu-ray/dp/B015HNXSIA/ref=sr_1_14?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1444508528&sr=1-14

The Nutcracker, Staatsballet Berlin, Iana Salenko/Marian Walter:

DVD http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nutcracker-Staatsballet-Berlin-DVD/dp/B015HNXSOO/ref=sr_1_7?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1444508528&sr=1-7

Blu-ray http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nutcracker-Staatsballet-Berlin-Blu-ray/dp/B015HNXT7K/ref=sr_1_13?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1444508528&sr=1-13

Swan Lake, Bolshoi Ballet, Svetlana Zakharova/Denis Rodkin/Artemy Belyakov:

DVD http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swan-Lake-Bolshoi-Ballet-DVD/dp/B015HNXTVG/ref=sr_1_8?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1444508528&sr=1-8

Blu-ray http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swan-Lake-Bolshoi-Ballet-Blu-ray/dp/B015HNXT0C/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1444508528&sr=1-5

Also recently released - a compilation of 1959-1962 American Ballet Theatre Bell Telephone Hour performances, excerpts from Billy the Kid, Le Corsaire, Les Patineurs and more:

DVD http://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Ballet-Theatre-Patineurs-Corsaire/dp/B012C88MNO/ref=sr_1_17?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1444508528&sr=1-17

Yes, it's all happening on the 30th, I've ordered La Fille Mal Gardee and am wondering whether to get the Bolshoi Swan Lake , if only for Denis Rodkin!

Have been able to watch Napoli a couple of times, my first copy was lost in transit by Amazon but I recently received the second, it's quite addictive and joyous, the second act is totally modern, special underwater effects, heavily percussive score, and MacMillan like choreography, completely non-Bournonville but I suppose that was intentional, and it goes more with the 1950's setting, Alban Lendorf is fantastic, worst aspect are the black trousers for the men in the last act, making it difficult to see the footwork which is the most important part.

• 3 weeks later...

Release dates have been pushed back for quite a few of these over the past couple of days - Rain, Ninth Symphony, the Berlin Nutcracker and the Bolshoi Swan Lake now all showing as 13th Nov.

The Merry Widow and the RB Fille both came out today.

Watched Fille last night on Blu-Ray, it looked better on TV than at the cinema which had managed to make it look at bit dark in places, think they used the alternative recording for Peregrine, this shows him pulling the cart and doing his trick, also his exit off later was okay!  The rest of the cast were pretty good too, and excellent features although I wish there were more, a very happy feelgood performance, something to alternate with Napoli, which I can't stop playing :)

• Like 1

Does anyone know if a recording of Balanchine's Vienna Waltzes exist?

There's not a full recording that i know of, but the last movement - the one with those stunning dresses and mirrors - was filmed for the Balanchine Celebration in 1993 - with the truly glorious Stephanie Saland - [did she ever dance in London?] - just as she retired - in the role created for Suzanne Farrell.  That movement was too the last vehicle that Farrell herself ever appeared in on the [then] State Theater stage; that during her farewell in 1989.  I remember that glorious shower of white roses at the end and find it impossible to this very day to watch this segment and to NOT still see the shadow of Farrell's regal back].  You can this movement with the wondrous Stephanie Saland here .. 

There is also a telling interview from 2014 with the divine Ms. Saland - always a class act if there ever was one - here.  

How I would love today to see - even now - that ravishing artist Ananashvilli (who it seems did M&A with Polunin in Russia last week) or Ferri - lead this glorious movement.  Such would I'm sure - as it was intended - be haunting and well within their powers.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Saw ad on tv last night for The Darcey Bussell Ballet Collection, a cd compilation of ballet music chosen by Darcey as her favourites.The playlist looks promising.

I don't think this has been mentioned on the forum but thought this the best thread to do so. If it has and I missed it, please delete or move as you think appropriate.

Saw ad on tv last night for The Darcey Bussell Ballet Collection, a cd compilation of ballet music chosen by Darcey as her favourites.The playlist looks promising.

I don't think this has been mentioned on the forum but thought this the best thread to do so. If it has and I missed it, please delete or move as you think appropriate.

Well, if I may be so bold as to recommend my own recommendation, I treated myself to this c.d. and excellent it is. A varied selection of stunningly beautiful music that is life affirming to listen to. The family is elsewhere at present, so I am able to listen to it in the comfort of my own home rather than in the car, avoiding the sighing and loaded question of - what IS this? :rolleyes:  

We are all different I know, but I wonder how people cannot be moved or at least impressed by this music. I guess you either like it or you don't. There is plenty of music I don't like after all. Anyway, I recommend this.

• Like 1

I saw it in Sainsbury's a few days ago (Sainsbury's - what I'd give for many other dance recordings to get that sort of distribution!), and it looked like a good selection - from what I could see where they hadn't stuck the security label all over it, that is.

• 5 weeks later...

I am not sure whether this has been mentioned elsewhere, but another recent (October) DVD release is of Le Tricentenaire de l'Ecole francaise de Danse on the Editions Montparnasse label.  I bought it on Amazon France but it seems to be available through third party sellers on Amazon UK.  It is region free and has an English subtitles option.  It is interesting, although not quite as amazing as I hoped it would be.  There is a little bit of documentary content and some performances by the school (with some principal roles taken by company dancers such as Mathieu Ganio and Ludmila Pagliero).

This came out sometime in 2015 but I've only recently noticed and bought it - the 'Nureyev and Friends - a gala tribute' dvd.  It's sensibly priced and well worth getting.  A couple of nice Tamara pieces, but for me the absolute star of this release is Evegenia Obraztsova, with pdds from Bayadere and Sleeping Beauty where she is just gorgeous. No showiness,  just beautifully expressive and liquid movement.  

• Like 1