Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 11:30, David said:

Oh good - hopefully that's a good sign. Thank you.

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 16:19, David said:

Well that's encouraging - thank you Stevie. I must confess I am one of those strange people who still buys Vinyl, in fact there are a couple of disks coming up in Sept that interest me!

The 'Enigma' Blu-ray is now available to pre-order on Amazon.com and it's the multi regional version, so you can safely bet that it will be available soon on Amazon.co.uk

Edited by Stevie
missing text
  • Like 1

On 16/06/2020 at 21:47, Stevie said:

The 'Enigma' Blu-ray is now available to pre-order on Amazon.com and it's the multi regional version, so you can safely bet that it will be available soon on Amazon.co.uk

And Lo and Behold, there it is!

• Like 1

No, but they appear to have skipped from Enigma straight to Cellist, missing out the Coppelia, which at first glance doesn't look promising, especially  since Enigma was streamed on line as well. I know they were reconsidering  releasing Jewels, but not heard if there is any result. They did tell me they usually rely on several recording sessions and don't normally release if they only have one recording.

This means there isn't a HD blu ray recording of Coppelia, apart from the Bolshoi release, which I found very good, POB which is quite different and Ullate Ballet, which is 'extremely' different.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
31 minutes ago, Stevie said:

No, but they appear to have skipped from Enigma straight to Cellist, missing out the Coppelia, which at first glance doesn't look promising, especially  since Enigma was streamed on line as well. I know they were reconsidering  releasing Jewels, but not heard if there is any result. They did tell me they usually rely on several recording sessions and don't normally release if they only have one recording.

This means there isn't a HD blu ray recording of Coppelia, apart from the Bolshoi release, which I found very good, POB which is quite different and Ullate Ballet, which is 'extremely' different.

Thanks! 

They have 3 of Coppelia - the Friend's dress rehearsal (if I recall correctly, someone else may remember), Nov 29 (the camera was partially obstructing my view) and the cinema broadcast.  That doesn't mean they'll use them of course but I would like to have it.  

34 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I was told by the shop some time back that it was listed for release in October so I'm not giving up hope entirely. Meanwhile it's worth saying that IMHO the RB's DVD from 2000 with Leanne Benjamin  and Carlos Acosta and with Mariane Nunez as one of Swanilda's friends is very fine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David said:

Meanwhile it's worth saying that IMHO the RB's DVD from 2000 with Leanne Benjamin  and Carlos Acosta and with Mariane Nunez as one of Swanilda's friends is very fine. 

Plus Luke Heydon as Dr Coppelius, who is brilliant!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fiona said:

Plus Luke Heydon as Dr Coppelius, who is brilliant!

Very true. I'm a blu-ray fan but I really value the older DVDs and the way they show the progression of key dancers through the ranks. I mentioned Marianela as Swanilda's friend in 2000; eight years later she was dancing the lead in Fille mal Garde with Lauren Cuthbertson, Sarah Lamb and Laura Morera as her friends - another lovely disk - and so it goes on. Now we are hoping for her in Coppelia with a new set of friends, the next generation. I do so hope the company find a way to release it, even if there are problems. After all, what else do they have? A record company without new material to release will fall. And if that means we may get a release of Jewels from 2017 as Stevie suggests, that would be great. It was a brilliant cast and I loved every minute of it. And if they're worried about the quality I'll happily forego the blu-ray and settle for a DVD!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, David said:

Very true. I'm a blu-ray fan but I really value the older DVDs and the way they show the progression of key dancers through the ranks. I mentioned Marianela as Swanilda's friend in 2000; eight years later she was dancing the lead in Fille mal Garde with Lauren Cuthbertson, Sarah Lamb and Laura Morera as her friends - another lovely disk - and so it goes on. Now we are hoping for her in Coppelia with a new set of friends, the next generation. I do so hope the company find a way to release it, even if there are problems. After all, what else do they have? A record company without new material to release will fall. And if that means we may get a release of Jewels from 2017 as Stevie suggests, that would be great. It was a brilliant cast and I loved every minute of it. And if they're worried about the quality I'll happily forego the blu-ray and settle for a DVD!

It was a senior member at Naxos who said he would initiate another look at releasing 'Jewels'. From memory he thought there had been a copyright glitch at the time and thought that they only had the Cinema streamed filming and like to have three. When I expressed that the Cinema streamed version was great and would settle for that he told me in how much detail every movement is scrutinised and how difficult it is to get it past this examination and into manufacturing. I suppose we would call it 'fussy'. It appears to be about artistic merit rather than picture and sound quality, which as we know from the Cinema release was excellent. If they release it at all, I believe it will be on both DVD and Blu-ray. That was about a month ago and I haven't heard anything since. 

I have other versions of Jewels, but would definitely prefer this one above all.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alison said:

Yet they managed to release the 2017 The Dream triple bill on the back of only one performance, not even a backup filming ...

We should take that as hopeful.  As I recall there were mega variations of casting over the Dream production run and the ROH Production page has now disappeared, so cant see what  if any opportunities existed for repeat filming with the same cast. Anyway, we cant do anything other than wait and see if it is released. Fingers and toes crossed.

Edited by Stevie
typo

21 hours ago, David said:

I was told by the shop some time back that it was listed for release in October so I'm not giving up hope entirely. Meanwhile it's worth saying that IMHO the RB's DVD from 2000 with Leanne Benjamin  and Carlos Acosta and with Mariane Nunez as one of Swanilda's friends is very fine. 

There is some logic in that. The Bolshoi released Coppelia on DVD and Blu-ray on 12th April 2019. It would be best commercially to put some time in between the two release dates, so 18 months apart make sense.

On 03/06/2020 at 13:51, Richard LH said:

Very pleased and excited to receive delivery of the  Takada/Campbell Don Q BVD this morning ! 💃

I ordered it from Tower Records on 24th May; it  was received by  Tenso on 28th and was dispatched via DHL on 01 June.

Pretty amazed that it only took two days for DHL  to get it here from Japan! Great service.... 

© 2019 Royal Opera House Covent Garden Foundation, under exclusive licence to Nexus Rights (Europe) Ltd.

Don Q BVD.jpg

Akane2.jpg

This morning I received my copy of this Blu Ray. Very excited to watch it :)

For comparison with Tenso, the Zenmarket experience was much slower - often taking a week or more for each internal step. In total it took around 4 weeks. The international shipping was very quick though, it was only posted on Thursday. I believe the slower service is at least partly due to reduced staff and hours worked in the current environment. Understandable of course.

However, it arrived safely and I'm very grateful such a service exists!

• Like 1

Thank you Richard, I'm sure I will :) Looking forward to the first viewing this evening!

It was around £60 in total. But I did choose the fastest and therefore most expensive international shipping! I think the Blu Ray itself was around £35 and the internal handling costs were very low. So possibly could've reduced that to more like £40 if I'd been more patient at the end!

• Like 2

Haha not cheap I'll agree 😂 hopefully there'll be more cost effective ways to get hold of this in future. Just having a break after watching the first act and have to agree that this is a beautifully clear filming. I missed this at the cinema so really enjoying the chance to see it. Wonderful performances so far!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Rob S said:

So glad I was sat down when I read that!! 😂

53 minutes ago, Rob S said:

So glad I was sat down when I read that!! 😂

Or taking a drink, 2 metres wouldn't have been sufficient.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DanJL said:

Haha not cheap I'll agree 😂 hopefully there'll be more cost effective ways to get hold of this in future.

But at (or even less than) the sort of cost  for  a single seat at the ROH  (and who knows when might we be able to enjoy that again?), worth every penny in my book.

So joyful...it's a real gem!  💃

• Like 1

Yes I have to agree, for me personally I was more than happy to pay that given the lack of availability outside of Japan. It is filmed so well it really does feel like the next best thing to actually being there. And so nice to have a reminder of this run of Don Quixote. I loved the performance I saw at ROH and re-watched the Nuñez / Acosta DVD shortly after, but didn't feel that it gave me the same feeling. This recording certainly did 🙂

So many highlights, but I was especially blown away by the act 3 pas de deux. Takada and Campbell were on fire!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oncnp
On 18/06/2020 at 10:22, David said:

ROH kindly confirmed today that Coppelia is scheduled for October release. 

Just received the following response, from Opus Arte (Naxos), to my earlier enquiry regarding the release of Jewel's.

"Jewel's unfortunately will not be released as it did not reach the technical and artistic standards the ROH require for a more permanent release."

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Just received the following response, from Opus Arte (Naxos), to my earlier enquiry regarding the release of Jewel's.

"Jewel's unfortunately will not be released as it did not reach the technical and artistic standards the ROH require for a more permanent release."

Having just watched the  Takada/Campbell Don Q performance (the Japanese blu ray discussed above) on YouTube I’m guessing we won’t see a release in the UK for the same reasons (nothing wrong with the actual dancing,  just camera focus and framing issues that you don’t normally get with an Opus Arte release) 

Edited by Rob S

I'm wondering whether Stuttgart Ballet could be prevailed upon to release Initialen R.B.M.E. coupled with something else (Song of the Earth?  It's roughly the same length), but suspect there wouldn't be sufficient demand for "short" works, regardless of quality/significance.

48 minutes ago, alison said:

I'm wondering whether Stuttgart Ballet could be prevailed upon to release Initialen R.B.M.E. coupled with something else (Song of the Earth?  It's roughly the same length), but suspect there wouldn't be sufficient demand for "short" works, regardless of quality/significance.

I'd buy this,immediately! Although I'd love the Concerto for Flute and Harp to be included, I think this,and RBME were my favourites from  Stuttgart.

Edited by ninamargaret
Spelling correction

53 minutes ago, alison said:

I don't think that being short works would be a limiting factor. Stuttgart have made a couple of full length releases recently, however they are not known for being prolific in their DVD releases.

Edited by Stevie
missing text

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Having just watched the  Takada/Campbell Don Q performance (the Japanese blu ray discussed above) on YouTube I’m guessing we won’t see a release in the UK for the same reasons (nothing wrong with the actual dancing,  just camera focus and framing issues that you don’t normally get with an Opus Arte release) 

That's interesting, I don't remember noticing that when I watched the Blu Ray - in fact I was highly impressed with the quality of the reproduction. I wonder if this means there is a chance of a Jewels release in Japan?

Alternatively, I wonder if the quality would be good enough for a future streaming if that was an option for ROH.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
26 minutes ago, DanJL said:

That's interesting, I don't remember noticing that when I watched the Blu Ray - in fact I was highly impressed with the quality of the reproduction. I wonder if this means there is a chance of a Jewels release in Japan?

Alternatively, I wonder if the quality would be good enough for a future streaming if that was an option for ROH.

Or as an additional revenue stream, allow purchase/download of cinema broadcasts that are not going to DVD.  There is a Winter's Tale making the rounds of the streaming service I would like to have. 

1 hour ago, DanJL said:

Jewels had been streamed illegally before it was removed by Naxos. The visible aspects of that streaming were so much better than those of the currently streamed Don Quixote, that they could only be contrasted. So I would suggest that it would be well suited to streaming.  It may be that streaming itself is not up to DVD standards. That having been said, it had been my opinion that it was good enough to release on DVD and Blu-Ray , so what do I know.

• Like 2