Royal Ballet Summer School.

Miracle

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The wait is killing me.  I realise the chance of my daughter being accepted is very low but if she was lucky enough to get in, we have to organise ourselves to get there from Australia.  I'd love to know sooner rather than later!  

Speaking of which, for anyone who's children have been to the RBS summer school before, would you say it's worth the expense of international travel to go there?  My daughter's only 12 so would only be doing 1 week at White Lodge if accepted.  We'd probably be looking at around $8000 (AUD) for flights, airfares, accommodation & summer school.  

My dd did summer school this ( almost last!!) year, and judging from the number of international students , roughly half in our week, i'd say lots of people do feel it's worth it all.

They also give out one 'automatic entry' for the following year, in all the age gropus; these all ( i think) went to international students.

I know of one girl from New Zealand who my dd became friends with who did a few summer schools in Europe whilst the rest of her family had an extended holiday. - lucky for some!! ????

Midwifelin the cost aspect is difficult. $8000 is around £4000 which is eye wateringly expensive for a summer school. But then on balance how many of you will be coming? Will the rest of the family stay in UK and have a holiday? My dd is currently looking at summer schools in Europe that for a fortnight would cost around £2000 for just her without flights.

My dd did WL summer school 8 years ago. It was her first experience of being away from home and a ballet summer school. She enjoyed the experience, made some friends and decided she wanted to go to vocational school. It is difficult to say what price I would have put on the experience but as things were very tight at the time the £500 it cost seemed a lot then.

Midwifelin the cost aspect is difficult. $8000 is around £4000 which is eye wateringly expensive for a summer school. But then on balance how many of you will be coming? Will the rest of the family stay in UK and have a holiday? My dd is currently looking at summer schools in Europe that for a fortnight would cost around £2000 for just her without flights.

Only her & I would come.  We just can't justify the expense for the whole family to come plus it's outside of school holidays so I wouldn't want to take the other girls out of school.   

• Like 1

I know what you mean about wanting to plan for the trip from abroad! We are in the US, so it would be great to know as soon as possible for travel arranging purposes. We also are submitting a video audition to Paris Opera...I read those results will come February 15. It's a serious long shot for my daughter. She is only 9 (will be 10 in March). But I agree that it is an incredible opportunity if she is accepted!

I called Royal Ballet School today, and the administrator did confirm that our application was received.  She was not sure why we did not get a confirmation email.  Apparently it was supposed to be automatically generated from the website.

I am relieved that the application is all in order.

Now just waiting to hear on results.

• Like 2

Last year it was after auditions... I have a (quite probably entirely wrong!!!! ) feeling that they may well 'have a peek' at potential summer school candidates at auditions....... Happy to be corrected!!!

I think we all slightly wonder about that one!

I do think that maybe they wait til after the forst round auditions to inform about SS places as how awful would it be for DC's to go into the WL or upper school auditions right after receiving a rejection email from RBS Summer School?

I do think that maybe they wait til after the forst round auditions to inform about SS places as how awful would it be for DC's to go into the WL or upper school auditions right after receiving a rejection email from RBS Summer School?

This sounds like a reasonable theory.  So when are the first round of auditions?  

I'm not totally convinced they do this, there must be many that apply that won't audition yearly or even be associates. Surely at the audition the main focus is to decide on associate places and those for finals? Unless they have an excellent system in place that informs them of what everyone at auditions has applied for? Just my thoughts. Auditions get underway pretty soon. Good luck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!  Just joining in here :) .  DD applied for SS last year and we were put on the selected wait list.  It is what it is.  All you can do is apply and that's it.   I remind her that there will be more "no's" than "yes's" in this world of dance.  Just like at eisteddfods, one week she can clean up and the next nothing - just depends on who is watching and what they want at that particular point in time.   Happy dancing everyone. :D

• Like 2

I actually had some questions for all of the wonderful people on this forum who may have more experience with the RBS than i do. 

1. What exactly does the Royal Ballet school look for? (summer school and or year round) 

2. Is the fact that i have a Grade 5 Cecchetti diploma any benefit in my application? 

3. What are the chances of getting into the year round program from the summer program? How to get noticed in your classes there?

Thanks in advance!