Royal Ballet Summer School.

Miracle

She is 12. She will be 13 by summer though.

We are in the U.S. We really were so excited about this summer program, but she was fortunate enough to get accepted to a prestigious program here as well. It is a 5 week program and conflicted with RBS. She had to make a very difficult choice. She wishes that they hadn't conflicted so she could have done both!

• Like 1

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh....must be such a shame to have to decline WL SS but I am sure a 5 week programme will be an amazing experience - good luck to her! & I hope I am not tempting fate here but it would be sooooo lovely if my DD got that so wished for email with the offer of this space :) Mind you, she is wait list week 1 so unlikely I fear.....but, no loss hoping & crossing those fingers!!

• Like 1

Hi all. I've been a forum member for a while but not really commented so newish! My dd was fortunate to be accepted to week 1 SS. She is just 10 and a JA. Just wondering if anyone else is week 1 white lodge? Would be nice if she knew the name of a couple of children due to go there, as no one else in her JA class got a place or applied. She's hoping she'll get to share with someone that speaks English, but I've told her that international students will probably speak better English than her ????! Thanks in advance X

• Like 2

Hi even though my dd only applied for year 7 places this year. We got no's. This post has been so encouraging for her. She's set her heart on applying next year for summer schools, other associate schools and for year 8 places.

She's come out of getting a no with such strength and a fierce determination to get a yes.

I admire all our dd's and ds's.

They go through so much but always get back up.

Well done to all of them. No's and yes's. You are all an inspiration. Especially to the younger children who are following in your footsteps. They learn so much from your journeys.

• Like 2

Thats fab balletmummy55, look forward to hearing from you. I think I am guessing our dds are already good JA friends dizzyballetmum ???? I will DM you. Your dd has a great attitude momtodancingkenz my dd had to learn take the nos last year, her WL for SS school has turned into a yes this year which made it all the sweeter for her, although at the time it was hard for her at the time it's made more resilient I am sure, good luck to your dd in her auditions next year.

Huge well done to everyone who has auditioned for schools/associates/SS places this year x

Edited by Snowflake
  • Like 1

Hi all. I've been a forum member for a while but not really commented so newish! My dd was fortunate to be accepted to week 1 SS. She is just 10 and a JA. Just wondering if anyone else is week 1 white lodge? Would be nice if she knew the name of a couple of children due to go there, as no one else in her JA class got a place or applied. She's hoping she'll get to share with someone that speaks English, but I've told her that international students will probably speak better English than her ????! Thanks in advance X

My ds is week 1, WL too and is currently a JA. He's 10 and in yr 5 currently. I know he's a boy, but am sure he would like to make friends too. xx

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi midwifemel. My dd (year 5) has a place week 1, and wigglybunny ds, and 2 year 6 girls also on here for week 1. Think I saw a few others for week 2 also but not sure of ages etc xx Anyone any clue how many there are per year group in a week at WL?

My DS, who is 12,  is going to WL Week 2. He was fortunate enough to get a place two years' ago too, so second time around for us, makes it a lot easier in knowing what to expect. Would be lovely to hear of any others going to Week 2, especially boys.

My son's experience last time was that the boys and the girls barely mixed at all as they are grouped, by age, in boys and girls classes (at least they were 2 years ago), and the boys' dorms are in the main building (basement!) whereas the girls were in the new blocks. There was quite a bit of homesickness but the boys did look after each other which was really nice. And the staff, especially the nurses, were really kind. 

We just got a confirmation letter today with the invoice etc, which needs to be paid by 1 April so i guess there won't be much movement on the waiting list (if at all) until after that.

• Like 1

Hi midwifemel. My dd (year 5) has a place week 1, and wigglybunny ds, and 2 year 6 girls also on here for week 1. Think I saw a few others for week 2 also but not sure of ages etc xx Anyone any clue how many there are per year group in a week at WL?

I've just dug out the Programme for the end of week Demonstration we had two years ago (now they are doing Open Classes on the last day instead of Demonstration), which listed all the participants in their various groups. Then there were three groups who were on the one-week programme, two of which were girls and one of boys. So obviously the younger age group all together. Then one group each of girls and boys on the two-week programme. In the three younger groups there were between 26-30 children in each group.  About the same for the older girls and slightly less for the old boys. Hope this helps Balletmummy55!

• Like 3

That's brilliant boyohboy, thanks so much for the info!! That's great there's a good sized group as there's plenty of children to make friends with. Seems that year 5s and 6s may be in the same group too then which will be good for the younger ones development. Hope your boy has a great week, they must have liked him to have gotten the chance to go again!

• Like 1

My son is also on week 2 BoyOhBoy and he has just turned 11. He went last year too and the boys from age 10-12 were all in one group so sounds like they will be together? We haven't had any paperwork yet though?!

That's great to hear, Mumofaboy! If I can figure it out I will PM you. Our paperwork just arrived in yesterday's post (though was dated 25th Feb) so I guess it is trickling out slowly.

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect next....I accepted dd's offer for Covent Garden and received an email back letting me know they had got it.  What happens now?  I have had no contact from the school since then and I did email a couple of questions but did not get a response back.  

Thanks for any info that can be provided to me. 

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter is 10 and has been accepted on the week 2 at White Lodge. Is there anyone else around the same age and attending week 2 that would like to get in touch before they go?

We have received the bill and it says info about the summer school will be sent in May I think. Does anyone know what type of leotards, socks/tights, ballet shoes and warm up kit they prefer please? A friend has offered a black Royal Ballet track suit also, do you know if this is what they will wear?

Will look out for things.

Hi- you'll get a list with all the info on, they don't need any specific uniform as such...... Last year my Dd took about 3 or 4 leotards and belts ( they like belts!) few prs of tights and socks, shoes and spare shoes. Also her character skirt& character shoes. She wore her JA tracksuit to get from class to class, but any tracksuit/ leggings & hoody will do.

They ask for everyone to have a black leotard & ballet tights for the final performance.

We didn't buy anything new- just all the stuff she normally wears.

If i remember anything else i'll post again! ????

• Like 2

Hi everyone, just reading along and smiling at all the wonderful news :)  We're still on the wait list for WL, however, we've also just received some news regarding US summer schools.  We're still keeping our fingers crossed for RBS.  Maybe we'll end up cross crossing the globe!  And I'll keep working for a few more years!

Edited by Whizkid

My daughter is still on the RB Waitlist this year, as she was last year, but was never called up. She was accepted to ABT this summer and we were delighted for her, but after we added up all the costs (airfare, money for the duration of the intensive, etc) and her age (13) we decided we would actually hold off on sending her this year. We live in Ireland, but my family is in the USA and we go every two years so hopefully she will be accepted when she tries again at age 15 our next visit Stateside!

In the end we have decided to send her to a Dublin intensive at the end of the summer. The teachers are excellent and a great variety of dance styles while focusing on ballet technique, for a fraction of the cost. She was excited to be accepted to ABT this year, hopefully she will be able to attend in the future!!

• Like 1

Hello sparkle2015

My daughter will be 10 yr 5 and is also at White lodge summer school week 2 be nice to catch up before r u staying at premier inn in Richmond the night before if so we could meet for drinks

Xxx

• Like 1

Hi has anyone else received the email regarding payment needed for summer school by cob tomorrow? We paid a while ago for wl summer school by online transfer so hard to check if they have allocated the money to my dd records. Just wondering whether everyone has had the email or just those they believe haven't paid? Thanks in advance ????