Royal Ballet Summer School.

Miracle

Thanks Irishballetmom. We didn't have her teacher there, we did them in a last minute rush to meet the deadline, it was a last minute decision to apply for ss, we always go away go on holiday those 2 weeks, but I will be prepared to ask for help next time for sure.

We had her teacher there for the JA audition photos, she instructed her and corrected her through the whole process and she looked perfect on them, plus they were in lovely natural light come to think of it too :-).

Edited by Snowflake

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi- anyone had the 'information pack' yet, regarding WLSS? The letter that accompanied the invoice (in March)said it would be sent 'next month' ie April.

I know we're only just into May, and after a bank holiday , but i'm incredibly impatient! Just interested what 'kit' they'll need ( other than the obvious, of course!) ????

I hope your DC's enjoy the experience.....& know how dearly others wish they were there too! (I hope the parents all get to enjoy the whole thing as well as really it is them who put so much effort into making it all happen for them!)

• Like 1

I think most dc's who are going would be able to empathise with those who are still waiting, since this whole dance journey is continually interrupted with yes, no and wait. As ballet dancers they seem to accept what comes their way with such good grace. Another reason why I'm so glad we found ballet.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Allgirls - not sure if you are looking just for your DD or planning a 'family' stay but I can recommend looking at getting an airbnb place....DD was in ENB Nutcracker last season & living a long way from London meant a stay so we all upped sticks to London....cheaper than a hotel & bang in centre of Covent Garden which was fab for all! Cooking way cheaper than eating out & no peak time travel costs (in fact once there - no travel costs at all as you really can walk to most places/things from CG) Weigh up all the options & cross ref costs based on location.....sometimes paying more to stay central saves money (& time) in the long run....

A friend does lots of successful homeswaps too...I think it is via homestay.com...... Works great for them.....I just do not think I could ever get my house in good enough order that anyone would want to swap with me, but if you are more of a domestic goddess than me, could be worth looking into....Am thinking I have perhaps 4 years to get ship shape to try for a swap with New York for DD to go to Jeffrey SS like Swan Princess!!! Well - she can aim high (& give her Mum a reason to go to NYC!!!)

Good luck!

You could also check any London Uni campuses as they often rent out rooms in halls of residence in summer....

• Like 2

DD has used Uni halls both for full weeks when at summer school and for just a couple of days when needed, during Uni holidays.  They are good value, well located (various places round London) and she would do so again.  She also used them in Cardiff while doing National Dance Co. Wales summer school. 

Our DD has been offered a place for the WL two week summer school too from the priority list. Unfortunately she can't go as we've since arranged two other summer schools abroad. We should have hung on a bit longer....!  

• Like 1

Can I ask mums and dads if a commute from Hammersmith or Richmond to Covent Garden would be realistic and safe for a 15 year old DC not used to travelling alone in London ? (RBS Summer School - Wolf House all booked up...) x

Can I ask mums and dads if a commute from Hammersmith or Richmond to Covent Garden would be realistic and safe for a 15 year old DC not used to travelling alone in London ? (RBS Summer School - Wolf House all booked up...) x

Richmond is quite far from Covent Garden, I'd say it'd take roughly an hour to get there on the tube allowing for delays- so might not be ideal if dancing all day. Perhaps Covent Garden travelodge might have a room, instead? Congrats for getting a place x

Edited to add, just re read your question, sorry I'm not a mum or dad, but rather a young dancer who occasionally navigates London alone- it's easy enough as long as you plan carefully in advance!

Edited by swanprincess
  • Like 1

Yes- definitely safe and doable from Hammersmith. Suggest a couple of accompanied practice runs if she is not used to travelling alone in London. The underground is very safe in the day. My kids and all their friends travel unaccompanied incl younger than yours. Many London school kids commute alone from 11. 

• Like 1

I should have said we have lived in London for 17 years and I have never once had an issue in the tube- touch wood. Of my commuting kids, one was once pickpocketed at Victoria Station. I agree with swan princess richmond is more of a pain to CG though and Hammersmith is easier.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the speedy replies ! Hotels are too expensive for us so we are looking into DC staying with friends in Hammersmith or Richmond for the duration of the course. I used to travel all over London on my own at that age.....but it was a looooong time ago ! x

Our DD has been offered a place for the WL two week summer school too from the priority list. Unfortunately she can't go as we've since arranged two other summer schools abroad. We should have hung on a bit longer....!  

Gosh Flora so you have a dilemma!

My DD age 14 travelled across London on the tube without problem from near Canary Wharf to ENBS.We did an accompanied practise run and allowed plenty of time.If you are quick you may just be able to apply online for an oyster zip photo card which gives reduced fare travel on the tube and free bus travel.The fares go up from £10 on June 15.

• Like 1

The Hammersmith Tube Station is only one stop away from Barons Court which students staying at Wolf House will use. This will be helpful on the return journey as a group will doubtless travel together and guide anyone who needs to know how to find Leicester Square Station because Covent Garden remains exit only until November.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your helpful advice :) Hammersmith seems to have fallen through, but a place has come up in West Hampstead. I think, from what I've researched, that a 7 day travelcard (x2) is the best bet re travel. x