Royal Ballet Summer School.

Miracle

Sorry Snowflake imo it gets harder ! You go through all the stress of auditions to get them in and then it's the stress of keeping them in ! I've got one trying to stay in and one trying to get in at the moment ! I must admit I feel less anxious about 6 th form auditions than year 7 ones !

Cotes Du Rhone, I hope they both achieve their goals.

Reading all the positive comments its lovely to hear how supportive the ballet community thank you all. I can see dd is very lucky, she not only has access to a fantastic local ballet school who are kind and supportive of her development both as a dancer and child, but also access to fantastic associate programmes.  I will remind her to enjoy her journey, do what she loves, count her blessings and forget about WL summer school for now ;-)

What an inspiring post Kat09.

Edited by Snowflake
  • Like 1

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where the RBS is concerned don't forget even those who have been through the White Lodge school right through to 16 fail to get into the RBS Upper School at that age. So it does seem things open up at that stage so others may get into RBS upper school who have or have not been to vocational school ......though probably harder for those only doing a couple of hours a week by 16!!

• Like 3

Snowflake just to put yr daughters mind at ease a bit, there are currently students at WL who were unsuccessful at getting summer school places even whilst they were JAs so it's an open playing field. Secondly Flora just to defend my own teaching abilities and those of the other teachers on here I echo Kat09 in saying that many students gain places from non vocational lower schools to Upper schools every year. Last year we had 4 gain places and go off to their chosen schools. Before that we have at least two a year go on and always with full funding. Ours rarely attend associate programmes either so are completely 'home grown'. They are dancing many hours with excellent teachers and benefitting from a lot of private and holistic training alongside group training. Plus performing and competing regularly and enjoying home life. It is just an alternate path but they are more than up to the challenge of overseas students. Of course there schools which don't provide all those things but it's definitrly not a least training.

• Like 9

Balletqs - a bit off thread but I agree schools like RBS don't necessarily have the monopoly of best teachers. A dancer doing many hours with privates and group training/excellent teachers and performing and competing regularly is receiving what I would call vocational training though...

If my DD was just dancing just a couple of hours a week between 11-16 it wouldn't really be realistic for her to apply to RBS Upper, ENBS or Elmhurst at 16 and I doubt her teacher would let her to be fair.  

• Like 1

Goind back to topic:a  girl in our group didn't receive yet the answer about RBS SS. How is it possible? Is there anybody else still waiting?

Hi I'm glad to know that we aren't the only ones who don't have the summer school result.  We seem to be the only ones that we know that didn't get the result on Friday when everyone else did!  My dd has been so upset about this and I'm going to have to phone tomorrow as we had been told that the results would be out by 30th Jan and I think they might have forgotton us!

Edited by 2peas

Hello everybody!

I'm new with this forum and first like to apologize all my grammar/spelling mistakes... English is not my mother tongue.

Anyway, living in Scandinavia, DD studies vocational ballet, so the issues are pretty much the same ;)

She has applied for RBS summer course and got an answer: Priority Waiting List. She has applied also for several other courses and we find it a little difficult now cause have no idea what does it really mean to be in a PWL...? Would like to know if anyone of you have experienced this and what was the end result? Did your DS/DD got the place or not? 

She would love to take this course but as it means some arrangements (flights etc.) and there are other options I'm pretty confused how should we react now? Wonder if she is more likely to get the place or not? I guess it's more likely not to get the place? Or it is so much based on the case that it it impossble to know...

Please, share your experiences on staying on Priority Waiting List, what does it most likely mean in practise?

Desperately trying to think the best solution for my DD... to confirm other options or to wait for RBS summer school at PWL?

Thank you for your help! :wub:

Welcome to the forum.

My dd didn't apply & I'm sure that others will be along soon but I personally know one child who has been on the waiting list the last 3 years & never got a place but another child who was offered a very last minute place.

The situation seems to be complicated this year by the two waiting lists, Priority & Selected.

Hello Maria_ballet, my dd is in the selected waiting list for the WL 2 weeks residential. For which program did you apply?

Nobody seems to know the difference between 'selected' and 'priority' waiting lists. I would say 'priority' is better than 'selected', but who knows...

I'm in your situation, and decided to let my dd choose: she decided to accept the waiting list place, and remain free for the 20-31rst july, in order to be able to accept a last minute offer, if it will come....

Of course I'm afraid it will just end up in a big disappointment...

Thank's Janet McNulty!

It feels so good to share this uncertainty :wacko:

My DD applied for WL Week 1, non-residential.

She wanted to stay in Priority Waiting List so we did that. The thing is that because of the costs she will not be able to attend several courses abroad during one summer... I guess I try to wait for the possible place from RBS, but in a meanwhile try to find another option for which I simply can't  make any flight bookings etc. yet... sigh...

Would be so happy to be able to see the future now...

Did anyone of you apply for POB summer school too? Two weeks to go for the results of that, but would be amazed if my DD would fit in Paris.

ballet_lyon let me know if anything appers, fingers crossed...

Edited by Maria_Ballet

Hello from Italy!

I'm also new in this forum and I found it surfing the web desperately searching about the famous "double list".

My daughter applied for the RBS summer and received an offer for the priority list, another girl in the studio received one in the selected list. I heard a lot of priority and selected; how long are those lists?...longer than the YES list...

What a big confusion...specially because she already got a summer scholarship for a week in London and we have to decide what to do with flights and accommodations.

I hope in some help from you!

Hello everybody!

I'm new with this forum and first like to apologize all my grammar/spelling mistakes... English is not my mother tongue.

Anyway, living in Scandinavia, DD studies vocational ballet, so the issues are pretty much the same ;)

She has applied for RBS summer course and got an answer: Priority Waiting List. She has applied also for several other courses and we find it a little difficult now cause have no idea what does it really mean to be in a PWL...? Would like to know if anyone of you have experienced this and what was the end result? Did your DS/DD got the place or not? 

She would love to take this course but as it means some arrangements (flights etc.) and there are other options I'm pretty confused how should we react now? Wonder if she is more likely to get the place or not? I guess it's more likely not to get the place? Or it is so much based on the case that it it impossble to know...

Please, share your experiences on staying on Priority Waiting List, what does it most likely mean in practise?

Desperately trying to think the best solution for my DD... to confirm other options or to wait for RBS summer school at PWL?

Thank you for your help! :wub:

We are in exact position as you are! Priority Waiting List and also waiting to hear about Paris Opera Ballet (but not expecting it in any way, though it would be a dream for my DD!) We can commiserate! We are researching other summer schools for different dates on the off chance we were lucky to be called off the PWL, but we don't expect it!

Let us know about POB, we doubt our chances, but hope to hear about others here making it in!!

• Like 1

I just spoke to RBS….Priority waiting list is for very few selected from each group who would take a place if someone chooses not to take their place or is injured.  Selected waiting list is a bigger group of children they would give a place to if someone in the same group drops out.

That said, my older DD did get a place one year off the SWL…good luck everyone waiting  :)

• Like 6

Well done Angel - you've at least answered that query (although if they'd made it clear on the letter it wouldn't have everyone wondering - I think they forget that parents get to "talk" to eachother these days using this forum and other social media). 

• Like 2

Yes I thought it was worth at least trying to ask someone.  It's so frustrating when they leave people to work it all out for themselves.

I almost don't mind if my DD gets a place now.  It is just nice to know that they haven't completely discounted her yet...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am an American and am attending the covent garden upper school at 16 years old I was wondering how hard it is to get accepted from the summer program into the year round program as I'm very interested in furthering my training at the royal ballet but heard it is very difficult and nearly impossible to get into the year round program... Does anyone know anything about this?