Royal Ballet Summer School.

Miracle

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering if any on the waiting list have had the call up yet for these re-available places? My DD thrilled to get Elmhurst SS which is at end of Summer Hols.....if she were to get that magic place at RBS course at the startĀ of Summer too that would make her so happy & be such a much needed confidence boost too!

• Like 1

We have not heard anything either, Peanut68, but keeping our fingers crossed, like your dd she really would love to go, being a year 5 sadly she's too young for the Elmhurst one this time x

Edited by Snowflake

• 3 weeks later...

Priority waiting list here too, and no news. My daughter asks often if I got any emails lol! We know it is unlikely to come up but she has asked if we could keep that week open and we will do an Irish summer school in Dublin the following week in August. She loved her visit to Covent Garden and dreams of White Lodge... says she feels bad saying it but hope someone drops out and she might get a chance lol!

Yes, my DD is Y8 next year, but your DD made it to the finals right? I'd say we are behind you in the queue!! I wonder just how many priority and selected wait list spots there are for each year! So many no doubt!! Best just to assume we don't have a space, though I am sure DD still wants to dream of a chance.

• Like 1

My older DD did get into summer school when she was year 5 a week before. Younger DD hasn't been to WL finals. She has accepted English National Ballet school SS (which is excellent). I would really recommend it. I know its a dream to go to White Lodge but Tring is just as beautiful with excellent teaching too. There are so many wonderful opportunities for young dancers.

• Like 1

Hello again....just wondering if anyone here has heard if any re-available places having been offered to waiting listers for White Lodge Summer School? Been a couple more weeks since last I enquired so just curious (as well as hoping my DD could get thatĀ dream email!!)

Yes Angel, I think you are right: there are definitely too many of us waiting for the same age (Y8)! We too accepted a place offered at ENBS SS and I'm happy to hear that you think it is excellent!

One of the ballet teachers on the Spring course will be my older DD's first year teacher at ENBS I thinkĀ  :)

People can get a full refund if they can get another person to take there place even if it is at the last minute. Therefore, many people may be saying that they're planning on going even if they're not sure because they're able to get a full refund. I think that's why many students get last minute opportunities to be accepted!!!

I imagine if you have this opportunity you pay your money & they most definitely go.....cannot imagine anything that would make my daughter change her mind if she had a place though I guess there can always be unforeseen things (especially if coming from abroad perhaps). Don't like the thought of anyone having the disappointment of not taking up their place but......my DD would so love to - even if onlyĀ ever once in her life - have that golden moment of going to the Royal Ballet School! So, still fingers crossed!

Its not always for a negative reason that dancers give up their summer school places.When my DD got in off the waiting list several young dancers had been chosen to perform at the Royal Opera House with the Bolshoi Ballet and had to miss summer school.

• Like 2

On the subject of photos, anyone have any tips for taking photos for schools?. I rushed my daughters for summer school, I didn't think they would be using them help them decide who to offer a place you see, as she is already a JA and known to them.

Ā 

We her ss photos last year at her ballet school after dark, the heating was off and lighting old harsh old fashioned strip lights, the poor thing was freezing in her photos, and looking at them again, she has her shoulders up to her ears tensed up etc with cold, poor thing and looks so miserable and pale! I think as the room was small I had to stand really close and the flash washed her out even more. I just remember her saying please take them quick mummy I am really freezing, obviously a huge ballet mum fail.

Ā 

Obviously we are going to take them in the day this time plenty of time before the deadline, and make sure the heating has come on and ask for her teachers help on the positions. But any other tips would be fantastic, ie best angles, are filters allowed, not that I am great with any thing too technical etc. Or is it best to get them professionally done? X

Edited by Snowflake

We have always done in village halls where lessons are held. Make sure the background is as plain as possible. Beyond that I think for non professionals daylight must be best.

Ā 

I don't think professional photos are necessary. ... Good luck! I find it horribly stressful. .....

• Like 1

Ours were done in a church hall with no windows, and striped painted walls...not ideal at all...but the teacher was helping get the poses right and helped select which ones we sent. She got priority waiting list not in but still a move in the right direction since she go a no last year...

• Like 1

A few years ago, I took my elder dd's photos in village hall, when I printed them, in some shots her feet were cut off and in others her hands...had no time to re do them so just stapled one of each together so they could at least see her whole body, posted the application off and told myself that was a waste of Ā£20....she got offered a place!! Her one and only time and believe it or not we then turned it down as she was one of those lucky ones to be chosen to dance with the Bolshoi Ballet!! :)

• Like 5

ballet_lyon - I am a teacher, so naturally I did them myself! Ā I help any pupils who are having photos taken for applications. Ā We do it in the normal hall, against a plain wall. Ā I correct the pose while a parent takes the photos. Ā These days with digital cameras it is so easy, you can check immediately if it is working. Ā In the olden days when you had to shoot a reel of film and have it developed, you never knew if you were doing it right until the prints came back!

Ā 

Not necessary to have professional photos. Ā Best is to sit on a reversed chair so you can lean on the back of it (if you don't have a tripod), then you are about waist high so there is little distortion. Ā Another tip I got from a professional is to be quite a way away and zoom in, again it avoids distortion. Ā But make sure you leave plenty of room round the dancer so feet and hands don't get cut off.

Ā 

Edited to add second paragraph

Edited by Pas de Quatre
  • Like 2

Wildflowers, that just goes to show maybe the photos aren't so important.

Ā 

Thank you all for your helpful hits, I will use them all, and see if I can produce a beautiful photo for next year, to set my mind at rest.

Ā 

I thought my photos were okay, they are very clear etc. But, as she wasn't offered a place, I did start to wonder, was it my photos that could be to blame, as I am not sure what position is best, shows her off the most etc. Maybe your dd was always going to be a definite yes, but maybe some for some of the maybes, an really unflattering photo could just be that final box crossed, so don't want to have that doubt again next year x

Edited by Snowflake

Snowflake, I'd say having a teacher there to get the poses right and choose best photos is important, if you didn't have that before. A professional photographer wouldn't know when she was in the best position for the photos but the teacher would... I just used my iPad to snap photos!

Edited by irishballetmom
  • Like 1