Royal Ballet Summer School.

Miracle

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

V true Ellie -  you could go one further stop to Green Park on Jubilee instead and then pick up the Piccadilly to Covent Garden. There is a bit of a walk underground at Green Park for the connection. (Sorry to be such a sad case but I walk it every day at the moment...I realise I sound like a bit of a tube fanatic!)

Holborn is not quite so close to Floral Street but sometimes a bit more reliable. (CG tube is sometimes closed, often busy with a million tourists and it's lifts so we tend to avoid it).

Hi, I thought I'd pop in to say hello and wish everyone who has gained a place a sincere congratulations!  My DD (age 12) is also on the Priority Wait List and is still hoping for a miracle.  Another DD (they're triplets but the third one doesn't dance) was declined.  That daughter has moved on but the one on the wait list has been praying hard every night!

I wish you all the best of luck!

• Like 2

Hello Rfc

Love the name (this ballet parent lark seems to be all coffee and waiting ) . I have a 13 yo also on priority waiting list hoping for the same miracle. We have made other arrangements now but I still can't help constantly refreshing my email,

Even though I know how slim the chances are , this is the lot of a ballet mum ????

• Like 1

It's so hard when they set their hearts on RBS not realising it is not the be all and end all and there are so many great courses out there- not easy for the DD but I think we Mums get the real raw deal coaxing them through it. Deep breath along for the ride mum...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Gowiththeflo my dd is currently at WLSS and is enjoying it very much. She was a bit homesick on the first day but is really loving it now that she knows the daily routine and has made some new ( and truly international ) friends. The days are quite full so I'm fully expecting to pick up a very tired but happy dd on Saturday

I see the comment about making lots of International friends....I would be interested to know the rough attendee ratio of UK v. rest of world.....maybe the odds of getting a place from UK are slim ( so my DD should be really proud to have made it to the wait list....) & maybe we Brits would be better to apply to summer courses at our counterpart schools around the world! Though there is then of course the issue of travel & many extra costs.....

Do many here have DC's with experience of international courses from age 11+ & any advice!

Thank you

Some years ago I went for a day of Teacher's observation at Senior summer school in Covent Garden.  I was surprised to see that out of 23 - 25 dancers in each class only 2 - 4 were of UK origin, so roughly 10% were from UK.  (The lists were posted on a noticeboard).  One of DDs friends from MAs was at WL summer school and when I asked her, she said the proportion was similar.  This was several years ago, so hopefully someone else will have more up to date information on whether it is still the same.

At Covent Garden SS this year there are 4 girls out of 26 in the youngest ( blue) group from the UK and 3 out of 26 in the next age group.There are a few more in the younger boys group but I didn't count them.DD is having a wonderful time both in class with guest teachers such as Ernst Meisner, Viviana Durante & Zenaida Yanowsky and mixing with International students outside of class.She has also been getting great input and corrections from the usual Upper School teachers.There was great excitement earlier this week when they bumped into Carlos Acosta in the Opera House one lunchtime.

• Like 8

It all sounds like SS attendees have had a great time - & judging by the comments of how international the mix is, am very proud my DD made it even to the wait list....here's hoping she gets to fulfil her RBS dream one year in some way!

Yes, my dd also enjoyed the summer school, although she was homesick at the start. She found the teaching very helpful and made friends with a lovely group of girls. I have to say there were couple of exceptional dancers in the final demonstration. I hope one day I can buy a ticket to see them in ROH as principle dancers.

Hi there, this is the first time I have used this sight. My daughter attended the RBS SS last week and loved it. I just wanted to check if anyone knows how the process goes for the assessment and if anyone knows when you might have an indication if they were interested in your child or not? Thanks. We are so unknowledgable on all this stuff so we have no clue what the process is. Thanks in advance.

I have heard of an Australian girl who has been offered a place from summer school from an Instagram posting.  I know that WL approaches parents before the end of summer school if they are keen to offer places. Hope you hear soon Bobby pin. People don't always accept the offer.

Hi Theodore, thank you for your answer.

That is grwat news for the young Australian.

I was just wondering what happens as it was all a bit vague and DD didn't know what was happening either. Atleast we can move ahead and start planning what to do next. Do you know if you get any feedback from the assesment?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am new to this board. I am from the US and my DS10 studies at Houston Ballet. He would like to apply to Royal Ballet's White Lodge summer program. I had a few questions for those of you whose children have been there: 

1. How many boys typically attend the summer program?

2. Are boys housed in a similar manner to the girls? Are their accommodations equivalent?

3. Are there any all boys classes? Do the boys attend all the same classes as the girls? 

4. Are the teachers used to working with boys?

5. Do we need to have a professional photographer take his pictures and maybe a teacher help position him?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!!