Royal Ballet Summer School.

Miracle

I think you should feel encouraged. From what I've seen, being put on the SS wait list precdes being wait listed or accepted for associates. ...and that is often followed by a yes, although maybe not until the next year. There may be alternative perspectives out there though... (?)

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should feel encouraged. From what I've seen, being put on the SS wait list precdes being wait listed or accepted for associates. ...and that is often followed by a yes, although maybe not until the next year. There may be alternative perspectives out there though... (?)

What's ss? Summer school? Just getting to grips with this forum text  sorry x

My son has a place on the residential and we only found out today ? Many still waiting bless em  and many found out Friday?

Think my point on my last message was there's still time to hear?? xx

So glad I found this forum so I can share in the angst , my friends with non dancing DD's zone out after I start waffling about my latest ballet mother worry . Well done to everyone who had ss or waiting list. My DD was on the PWl last year and got a last minute place . She also enjoyed a week at Ybss which we had arranged thinking Ir was a no for WL SS , so she ended up doing two weeks back to back . Today we were delighted to get a yes for this year, but are still nervously awaiting both Elmhurst and WL finals from the Manchester audition. Is anyone else still awaiting news ? Thanks in advance

• Like 1

So glad I found this forum so I can share in the angst , my friends with non dancing DD's zone out after I start waffling about my latest ballet mother worry . Well done to everyone who had ss or waiting list. My DD was on the PWl last year and got a last minute place . She also enjoyed a week at Ybss which we had arranged thinking Ir was a no for WL SS , so she ended up doing two weeks back to back . Today we were delighted to get a yes for this year, but are still nervously awaiting both Elmhurst and WL finals from the Manchester audition. Is anyone else still awaiting news ? Thanks in advance

SS = Summer School. Just putting my thoughts on Bluebird22's post out there. Hope your dancing son (DS!) enjoys and makes the most of his summer school place. Very few children get the opportunity to experience it. Bit like Charlie Bucket finding his golden ticket for the Chocolate Factory!

• Like 1

Here's hoping piccolo, one of them has been a JA since age 8 and this is just a big audition season for her, made worse by the fact that she loves white lodge.

I have just read on another thread that someone's DD got a white lodge place but never summer school!

All I really know is I just couldn't handle being a dancing parent, the waiting drives me mad just as a teacher!

I think WL SS certainly serves a purpose. It's an opportunity for non voc / voc children to experience the reality of boarding, to gain insight into RBS methods of learning, and to be part of an international dance community. Also, it's a chance for the RBS to see more dancers. I suppose if they have already made their minds up about a child, there is no need to invite them to summer school. Maybe that would explain why the dc from the other thread got in to WL but not SS.

Good luck Bluebird. The waiting is no fun, but tbh, at the moment I'm just grateful for the local ballet school. Dd has so much to look forward to this year with her ballet school, I'm hoping she won't notice too much if things don't go her way in terms of the bigger picture.

I have two DDs who applied.  One is on the waitlist, the other got a no.  These are the same results as last year.  The girl who got a no really does have work to do to improve her technique, and she is adding classes at a new ballet studio to get additional training.

My other daughter recently moved into a pre-professional program and is looking much better but her RB photos were taken before her progress began to show.  She, too, has work to do and is determined to keep moving forward.  She really wants some international experience though she may have to learn more about other options.

CONGRATULATIONS to all of you who got a place!  

• Like 1

In our local ballet school about ten girls applied, various ages. One got a YES, all the others are in WL. We don't have vocational schools here, but all  these girls get training  five times per week, plus stages during the weekend al least once per month. btw, I guess waiting list is quite extended....

I'm breathing again after the news of yesterday. My daughter applied for the second year. Last year we got a PWL and a place on May, when we already had all the Summer Intensives scheduled, so we declined.

Her friend, who had a straight no last year, is in WL (and got the 3 confusing emails too)

Everyone improved.

Don't give up!

I am new and we're considering White Lodge for my 14 year old son. Anyone point me to the right place to see reviews... especially for boys?

Are you asking about summer school or a full time place? Applications for both are closed for this year or have you already applied?

Both are highly selective and out of the vast numbers that apply only a handful get selected.

If it is summer school you are thinking about then possibly depending on his DOB your son might be of an age for the Covent Garden course next year. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that is from 15.

For entry into the school as a full time pupil the applications open n the Autumn term and the first round of auditions is January with finals/recalls in February. It would be unusual to get into year 11 as a UK student because of disruption to academic studies but have known of them taking overseas pupils into this year (age 15/16). From 16 you are looking at upper school based in Covent Garden.

• Like 1

Hello dsallaboutballet and welcome to the Forum!

It would help if you could let us know a bit more about what you are seeking for your son, as highlighted by Jane in the previous post.

The Royal Ballet School is mentioned in many threads so it could well be worth your while using our search facility too.

Good luck to your son and do let us know how he gets on.

• Like 1

Thank you so much! My DS was accepted to the 2 week program at White Lodge. He is looking for a new year-round program, but sounds as that is no longer an option for RBS? Many US programs evaluate students in their summer intensives and then offer year-round. He turned 14 in November. My husband just moved from Houston to Doha so we are opening up the search to the UK/Europe to be closer to him. Where would I find reviews on the 2 week program?

Edited by dsallaboutballet

I'm not sure where you would find reviews about WL summer school as such, some of old threads here might have some comments. Worth thinking about is it is always heavily oversubscribed with candidates from across the globe. The pupils have a full day of teaching and then activities arranged in the evenings. The performance at the end of the fortnight is a testament to how hard the pupils have worked in their short time there and the standard of the teaching.

It is an achievement being offered a place at summer school and yes they do offer full time places to some participants. If he has just turned 14 then from September he would be joining an UK school in year 10 (I believe) and they move to upper school after year 11.

Thank you so much! My DS was accepted to the 2 week program at White Lodge. He is looking for a new year-round program, but sounds as that is no longer an option for RBS? Many US programs evaluate students in their summer intensives and then offer year-round. He turned 14 in November. My husband just moved from Houston to Doha so we are opening up the search to the UK/Europe to be closer to him. Where would I find reviews on the 2 week program?

Im fourteen from Texas too! 

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but do participate on the us ballet talk forums.  I have a dd (17) who is currently training in another province (we are Canadian) and has been accepted to Covent Garden for the summer intensive, last year she was on the selected wait list so we are very proud and excited for her.  She is now having a case of the "I am not good enough's" to be going to this program which I suspect is a lot to do with the changes she has had this fall and winter coming from a very small town/small school to moving away, new school etc.  I want to reassure her that this experience is a one in a life time and to embrace it so I am hoping for some reviews and experiences from those who have gone before.  

Thank you for any tips you have:)

I second the suggestion that you let the Royal Ballet School know that your DS would be interested in being considered for a full-time place at the school, dsallaboutballet. In fact I would let the school know now, rather than waiting until your DS attends the summer school - if they confirm that he can't audition this year as applications have closed and ?preliminary auditions have finished, then you haven't lost anything. However, as your husband has just relocated and your family circumstances have therefore just changed considerably, who knows - they may be able to arrange to see him, possibly alongside those selected for final audition? As he has been selected for the summer school, they must presumably already feel that he has the right 'look' and may possibly be prepared to audition him now. And if not, then at least you asked.

• Like 2

Hello everyone. I've not been brave enough to post before, but ds has just got a yes for white lodge week 1!!! So excited and proud I could burst, but am on my first day of a masters course with a whole bunch of strangers so I can't tell anyone. (I'm not sure they'd 'get it' even if I did!)

Well done to everyone who has places/wait list and I hope those who don't have places don't feel too bad. And a massive thank you to everyone on the forum who has unknowingly answered all my unasked questions and kept me sane so far!

Congrats to your DS and hope my DS gets to meet him!

• Like 2

I second the suggestion that you let the Royal Ballet School know that your DS would be interested in being considered for a full-time place at the school, dsallaboutballet. In fact I would let the school know now, rather than waiting until your DS attends the summer school - if they confirm that he can't audition this year as applications have closed and ?preliminary auditions have finished, then you haven't lost anything. However, as your husband has just relocated and your family circumstances have therefore just changed considerably, who knows - they may be able to arrange to see him, possibly alongside those selected for final audition? As he has been selected for the summer school, they must presumably already feel that he has the right 'look' and may possibly be prepared to audition him now. And if not, then at least you asked.

Thank you!  I did let them know.  Apparently there is an option you can select when you complete the form for the Summer School in May to request for your dancer to be considered for year-round training.

• Like 1

My daughter was accepted to WL Week 2.  Unfortunately she had to turn it down.  So, there is definitely at least one spot available.  I hope it goes to someone here!

So sorry... :( How old is your daughter? I think the wait list is divided by age...