Royal Ballet Summer School.

Miracle

Balletmummy55, we got the same mail yesterday. 

Life (and Sparle2015), my daughter is 12 and she is in week 2 WL too.

We can have a drink the night before, if you want, 'cause I booked the same hotel for the entire week! We are from Italy.

Irishballetmom, Congratulation to your daughter! I remember you from last summer ;)! My daughter was also selected for the ABT program in Texas. We declined mainly because the mail arrived the night before the dead end! :o ...insane...

• Like 1

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Angel this is awesome! Two weeks means your DD  is 14 or I'm wrong? 

Hi vmmom, was just going to message you to say we will finally get to meet.  Yes she is 14 (my brain isn't working)  Absolutely thrilled for her.  She's had a very tough year 

Edited by angel
  • Like 3

Very apt..they've let her do all their other courses and offered her MA's every year (even though she wasn't allowed to do it) so I knew they liked her a bit...

and yes....perfect timing.  She should be fully recovered

Thank you  :)

Amazing news Angel , so so pleased for your lovely dd

Thank you  :) It will be very strange to be back there!  Good job we left on good terms  :rolleyes:

Is anyone else we on here have a dd or ds doing the two weeks?

Edited by angel
  • Like 1

Thank you  :) It will be very strange to be back there!  Good job we left on good terms  :rolleyes:

Is anyone else we on here have a dd or ds doing the two weeks?

I think the excitement caused me a brain freeze.....Is there anyone else on her with a dd or ds doing the two weeks? 

My ds, age 14, is doing the 2 weeks at White Lodge. We are coming from Houston.

Oh fantastic dsallaboutballet.  My dd would much rather be dancing in the US.  Are you coming over to stay or is he coming over on his own?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question for parent of older DKs who traveled from overseas on their own (without parents) - how did they manage with the airports, etc.? 

Hi bluemountain. My DS travelled from Europe to London alone last year. He was 15. He flew to Gatwick and then got the Gatwick Express to Victoria. From there he got the underground to Covent Garden . He had a travelcard and I wrote down very detailed instructions regarding how to get to - from airport/tube station to final destination ! He was fine :) x

Hi Ellie, it's nice to know that other kids have done it already :). I have more questions though. 

1. Boys tights - do they need to be footed or footless?

2. Character shoes - my son is using softer version, something like jazz shoes, would they work or we need to get something with a harder sole?

3. On the average, how much money do they need for food for two weeks (without going to the fancy restaurants, of course :) )?

4. Is there any way for us to buy his Underground pass from US? If not, how much will it cost for a 15 year old for two weeks?

5. How does it work for sight seeing? Are the kids allowed to go out in groups, etc? Is it safe, etc. in the area? Will there be any organized trips?

6. It says in the handbook that the hostel is open at 2 pm. The flight will most likely land at 10 am. What would you suggest as a good place for DS to stay that time with his suitcase? What do the other kids usually do?

I know I might be overthinking this, but it will be his first time of travelling overseas on his own. he is completely calm and confident and I am a mess until I clear things out :).

Thank you so much!

Blue Mountain - regarding arrival by the time he gets his luggage, gets into central London etc I would think 2-3 hours could easily pass. (I think if you take the tube rather than the Heathrow Express it's cheaper and slower.) If the hostel is in Covent Garden there are plenty of restaurants to have lunch etc.....

Hi Ellie, it's nice to know that other kids have done it already :). I have more questions though. 

1. Boys tights - do they need to be footed or footless?

2. Character shoes - my son is using softer version, something like jazz shoes, would they work or we need to get something with a harder sole?

3. On the average, how much money do they need for food for two weeks (without going to the fancy restaurants, of course :) )?

4. Is there any way for us to buy his Underground pass from US? If not, how much will it cost for a 15 year old for two weeks?

5. How does it work for sight seeing? Are the kids allowed to go out in groups, etc? Is it safe, etc. in the area? Will there be any organized trips?

6. It says in the handbook that the hostel is open at 2 pm. The flight will most likely land at 10 am. What would you suggest as a good place for DS to stay that time with his suitcase? What do the other kids usually do?

I know I might be overthinking this, but it will be his first time of travelling overseas on his own. he is completely calm and confident and I am a mess until I clear things out :).

Thank you so much!

1. Either/or.

2. Yes, they use hard sole shoes, but DS told me that the school provided 'spares' for the students who didn't bring them.

3. Last year the canteen at the ROH provided lunch and an early dinner (hot or cold) for 5GBP a meal. There are lots of supermarkets in the area where DS got lunch (sandwiches etc) cheaper.

4. Try this site https://www.visitbritainshop.com/world/london-travelcard/ How much it costs will depend on which zone he is in. Heathrow and Gatwick Express tickets are also available to buy online.

5. I don't think that there are organized trips. (But my DS didn't stay in the RBS residence) . Covent Garden is a busy area and I would say fairly safe (other forum members will be able to comment further on this). I told DS to use common sense (no flaunting fancy phones/gadgets on the streets etc) and also NOT to keep the cash he was carrying all in one place (pickpockets).

6. As sarahw said by the time he lands, clears customs etc the time will pass. DS went straight to RBS from the airport (which was early, but at least he found his bearings) and then went to McDonalds - or something. He was able to wash and dry his clothes over the weekend so used the largest rucksack the airline would allow and we painstakingly rolled everything really tightly to fit it all in ! (so he wouldn't have to lug a suitcase around) He bought all his toiletries in London.)

........( I also overthought- big time :) ) Hope this post has helped a bit. :)

Hi everybody, what do you think is the best transport option, zip oyster photocard or weekly child travelcard, my Dd will attend Covent Garden, she is 14.

Are you sure it's Covent Garden she is doing? My DD is 14 and attending White Lodge which is in Richmond.

Edited by angel

I live in London and consider Covent Garden to be a safe area. You do need to take sensible precautions with your personal belongings though, as you would do in any large city. The area is popular with tourists, out-of-towners and Londoners alike and can be very busy, particular if there is an event on.

If your child will be travelling into Victoria or any other mainline station during rush hour s/he should be prepared for the station to be extremely busy. My sister and her family, who live in Vancouver, were quite taken aback by the sheer number of people in central London when they last visited me. Occasionally, people are not allowed onto the underground platforms because they have become too crowded as a result of delays.

I'm not trying to alarm you but if your child is coming from a small town or a quiet city suburb and is not used to public transport then the volume of people in London may be a bit of a shock initially.

Yes angel, you are right but as she will be 15 by the end of July she has been placed in Covent garden.

Thank's for your comments aileen, we live in a big city but we usually move by car, handbook says students travel in groups I hope so