RB Nutcracker Dec/Jan 23/24

18 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

But, the thing that affected me the most, is the beautiful partnership Will and Fumi have. I truly believed they adored each other - and I just don't generally see that in other Sugar Plum couples I have seen.

That said, although there are some ballets where it's really helpful if the leads can look adoringly at each other (Sleeping Beauty, for instance), I'm not convinced that Nutcracker is necessarily one of them.  I'm happy if SPF is warm and gracious, and her cavalier supports her in every way.

• Like 7

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, alison said:

That said, although there are some ballets where it's really helpful if the leads can look adoringly at each other (Sleeping Beauty, for instance), I'm not convinced that Nutcracker is necessarily one of them.  I'm happy if SPF is warm and gracious, and her cavalier supports her in every way.

Interesting perspective. For me,  the connection between the two is important here as it is in any ballet generally and indeed as it is between Clara and Hans-Peter in Nutcracker. I think that is what I like in partnerships generally though - but that obviously does not mean others look for the same as me and I wouldn’t want them to. 

Edited by Linnzi5

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I really like Fumi and William as a pairing although, in common with Culture Whisper (see today’s links), I sometimes have reservations about his variations (and, actually, his partnering).

There are as many different opinions as there are critics aren't there?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/dance/what-to-see/the-nutcracker-royal-ballet-peter-wright-review/

Fumi Kaneko and William Bracewell made a regal, almost aloof Sugar Plum Fairy and Prince, he particularly strong in his Grand Pas variation. 

8 minutes ago, Ondine said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/dance/what-to-see/the-nutcracker-royal-ballet-peter-wright-review/

Fumi Kaneko and William Bracewell made a regal, almost aloof Sugar Plum Fairy and Prince, he particularly strong in his Grand Pas variation. 

I noticed those two perspectives as well@Ondine 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I read that yesterday too. Very interesting! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, annamk said:

I really hope that all the Manon and Swan Lake combinations will be wonderful and I will be going along to a number of the performances to find out.

But I can't unfeel what I have felt and unsee what I have seen with the Kaneko/Bracewell partnership: it is my raw emotional reaction to a chemistry that is as rare as hen's teeth. Together Kaneko/Bracewell have moved me more than any partnership with the exception of Cojocaru/Kobborg in 25 years of ballet going. Surely it is ok to express this feeling on the forum without it being taken as a judgement on other casts ?

I am in the same camp as @annamk - for me the Kaneko/Bracewell partnership is currently the most special and my preferred pairing amongst RB principals.

Yet, I still get goosebumps thinking back to Fumi's Odette/Odile debut with Federico Bonelli.  Who knows whether that could have been an equally thrilling partnership.

And what about Fumi, Vadim and Yasmine in Mayerling... wasn't that quite something as well?

I am absolutely looking forward to seeing Swan Lake with all the pairings as they are cast next season but am hoping for further Kaneko/Bracewell Romeo and Juliet performances when that returns.

• Like 14

I will say, first off, that like so many others I absolutely love the Fumi/Will partnership.

That said, I am very much looking forward to seeing Fumi and Vadim. I suspect that Fumi’s glow will continue to enchant us all whomever she dances with (Federico Bonelli, anyone?) and I am sure that she and Vadim will deliver something very special indeed.

Where Will is concerned, I feel that he is at his best in the narrative ballets, where his unforced and naturalistic acting skills draw us in and captivate. These are qualities that, for me, translate across the entire Ashton rep, abstract as well as narrative, and they sit very comfortably in his partnership with Frankie Hayward, who shares the same instinctive, naturalistic style.

Ps, I have just seen a similar reference to Bonelli in Silke’s post. More evidence, if any is needed, that both Will and Fumi bring something very special to their performances whether they are partnered together or not. 

• Like 7

It is very true that the potential in the Hayward Bracewell partnership has not been exploited and that is a shame. Their forthcoming SLs are therefore awaited with real anticipation. I also agree that Will’s naturalistic acting skills lend themselves to the Ashton répertorie, but also I would say to MacMillan. I find him elegant in the classical repertoire and an exemplary  partner. I am very keen to see him tackle Onegin, Mayerling and Albrecht. It is particularly rewarding to see his progression as an artist in every sense. 

• Like 11

As with others above, I didn’t say anywhere that I’m not looking forward to seeing Will and Fumi dance with different partners. I am really looking forward to it, actually.  All I said was that I am sad not to be seeing this rare and special partnership again for a long while.  That’s very different from saying that I don’t think they will work with others when I already know that they do.  But as a partnership they have something very special that is above and beyond when they dance with anybody else and I can’t imagine it being matched (just my opinion). 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, alison said:

Yes….but I agree with @Linnzi5  here.  As one of the critics said, it enhances the narrative when the SPF and her Cavalier appear to be the grown up version of the new thing called love that young Clara and HP have just discovered. Will and Fumi really make me feel that.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, BeauxArts said:

It is very true that the potential in the Hayward Bracewell partnership has not been exploited and that is a shame. Their forthcoming SLs are therefore awaited with real anticipation. I also agree that Will’s naturalistic acting skills lend themselves to the Ashton répertorie, but also I would say to MacMillan. I find him elegant in the classical repertoire and an exemplary  partner. I am very keen to see him tackle Onegin, Mayerling and Albrecht. It is particularly rewarding to see his progression as an artist in every sense. 

Sorry if my post was misleading. By previously referencing narrative ballets generally, I had assumed that people would make the leap to Macmillan and others. I am less excited by the Bracewell/Hayward Swan Lake partnership since I find Hayward less suited to the classical Tchaikovsky ballets. I would love to see them reprise their Hamlet and Ophelia.

1 hour ago, Sim said:

As with others above, I didn’t say anywhere that I’m not looking forward to seeing Will and Fumi dance with different partners.

I do hope you didn't think that I was suggesting this; far from it. Nor was I, in any way, seeking to minimise the special connection that Will and Fumi so clearly share. Merely pointing out that they each seem to elevate whatever partnership they are part of. 

• Like 3

If anyone would like to get excited about the upcoming Fumi/Vadim partnership, then look at this photo of the two of them in Manon pdd at a gala in Japan

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSl0xJpHTmy/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Fumi and Vadim have partnered each other regularly since in galas but also full length Don Q and R&J in CapeTown, and R&J with the Royal Ballet in Osaka. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Sorry if my post was misleading. By previously referencing narrative ballets generally, I had assumed that people would make the leap to Macmillan and others. I am less excited by the Bracewell/Hayward Swan Lake partnership since I find Hayward less suited to the classical Tchaikovsky ballets. I would love to see them reprise their Hamlet and Ophelia.

I do hope you didn't think that I was suggesting this; far from it. Nor was I, in any way, seeking to minimise the special connection that Will and Fumi so clearly share. Merely pointing out that they each seem to elevate whatever partnership they are part of. 

I really agree regarding the forthcoming Swan Lake with Francesca Hayward.  I saw her in the preceding run and was underwhelmed and disappointed. On reading the reviews some were rapturous I felt they must have seen an entirely different performance  ,I was so happy later in the run to see Lauren Cuthbertson in the role ,it was quite beautiful. Will B was Siegfried on both occasions.

been 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sim said:

But as a partnership they have something very special that is above and beyond when they dance with anybody else and I can’t imagine it being matched (just my opinion). 

That was rather my point - it sounds as though your mind is already made up 🙂!

However, we haven’t really seen much of a Fumi/Vadim partnership at the ROH yet, except for the Two Pigeons, where Fumi was a last minute stand-in for Laura Morera. Given the limited rehearsal they must have had I thought they were lovely together and showed a very promising chemistry. And of course there was Rudolf and Marie Larisch last year…. those, plus photos and clips of them performing elsewhere online, make me view their upcoming performances with a great deal of anticipation. And it’s also lovely to know that there are bound to be many more Fumi/William performances coming along in future casting 🙂.

• Like 2

I’m not making excuses for her but Francesca was unwell at the time of those Swan Lakes as I was sitting in the cafe downstairs with another friend and we got talking to her grandmother who happened to be sitting on our table. I got the impression she thought Francesca shouldn’t be dancing ( she told us the problem but I won’t repeat here) but that she didn’t like to let people down. I wasn’t going to Swan Lake that night as it happened so still have not seen her in Swan Lake.
So anyway perhaps give her Swan Lake another chance! 

My problem is Francesca often dances on Saturday nights just about the least  likely time I can attend a performance in the week. 
I am seeing her Saturday matinee Manon though. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Not sure where to post this but as it relates to the RB Nutcracker thought I'd post it here.

Subscribers of the Daily Telegraph (not at all my politics. I just subscribe for the fabulous Matt cartoons) get a weekly email of offers and competitions and this week the first offer in my email was an online invitation to see Annettte Buvoli being coached in her SPF role by Darcey Bussell. This is followed by a Q and A session with Annette and her cavalier, Nicole Edmonds. It is on Wed 20th Dec 6.25-7.30 and is free but you do have to be a DT subscriber. You book your (free) ticket and get sent a link to be activated on the day. I don't know if this is original or has already been covered in the Insight or WBD but I didn't think so. Anyway, for free, it's worth watching especially as I hope to see Annette in the matinee on Jan 1st. Just thought I'd mention it as people don't always check the offers list.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Not sure where to post this but as it relates to the RB Nutcracker thought I'd post it here.

Subscribers of the Daily Telegraph (not at all my politics. I just subscribe for the fabulous Matt cartoons) get a weekly email of offers and competitions and this week the first offer in my email was an online invitation to see Annettte Buvoli being coached in her SPF role by Darcey Bussell. This is followed by a Q and A session with Annette and her cavalier, Nicole Edmonds. It is on Wed 20th Dec 6.25-7.30 and is free but you do have to be a DT subscriber. You book your (free) ticket and get sent a link to be activated on the day. I don't know if this is original or has already been covered in the Insight or WBD but I didn't think so. Anyway, for free, it's worth watching especially as I hope to see Annette in the matinee on Jan 1st. Just thought I'd mention it as people don't always check the offers list.

If anyone who is not subscriber would like to go they can have my ticket

39 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

What a lovely offer! I hope you can go? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silke H said:

I am absolutely looking forward to seeing Swan Lake with all the pairings as they are cast next season but am hoping for further Kaneko/Bracewell Romeo and Juliet performances when that returns.

So am I!

I also look forward to see Fumi and William debuting as Mary Vetsera and prince Rudolph in Mayerling when Mayerling returns.

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

I’m not making excuses for her but Francesca was unwell at the time of those Swan Lakes as I was sitting in the cafe downstairs with another friend and we got talking to her grandmother who happened to be sitting on our table. I got the impression she thought Francesca shouldn’t be dancing ( she told us the problem but I won’t repeat here) but that she didn’t like to let people down. I wasn’t going to Swan Lake that night as it happened so still have not seen her in Swan Lake.
So anyway perhaps give her Swan Lake another chance! 

My problem is Francesca often dances on Saturday nights just about the least  likely time I can attend a performance in the week. 
I am seeing her Saturday matinee Manon though. 

I saw Francesca and I thought she made a brilliant Odile, particularly. I saw her Instagram posts and could see the toll SL took on her. I really enjoyed her performance but could see something wasn’t quite right. I am looking forward to seeing her again and hope things go really well for her. 

Edited by Linnzi5
Stupid autocorrect!
  • Like 3

Thanks for the heads up on that @jmhopton. My mother has a Telegraph subscription, which I borrow to read reviews & suchlike online (and of course Matt), so I've just booked. Whether the link will let us each watch on our own computers or whether we'll have to both huddle round one computer I guess we'll find out on the day.

• Like 1

I’ve just read Jonathan Gray’s enthusiastic  review of the O’Sullivan/Sambe/Allnatt/Dixon cast on Gramilano and have realised that this thread has not (yet) gone beyond opening night. 
Hoping that comments will flow after the cinema relay. There are some interesting line-ups.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

That was rather my point - it sounds as though your mind is already made up 🙂!

However, we haven’t really seen much of a Fumi/Vadim partnership at the ROH yet, except for the Two Pigeons, where Fumi was a last minute stand-in for Laura Morera. Given the limited rehearsal they must have had I thought they were lovely together and showed a very promising chemistry. And of course there was Rudolf and Marie Larisch last year…. those, plus photos and clips of them performing elsewhere online, make me view their upcoming performances with a great deal of anticipation. And it’s also lovely to know that there are bound to be many more Fumi/William performances coming along in future casting 🙂.

Au contraire....my mind is not made up.  All I said was that I can't imagine that they could be bettered with other partners.  I didn't say 'they will not be'.  Just because I can't imagine it doesn't mean it can't happen.  I couldn't imagine Vadim as an effective Rudolf, but he blew me away and was one of the best I have ever seen.  So maybe that will happen again.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, capybara said:

I’ve just read Jonathan Gray’s enthusiastic  review of the O’Sullivan/Sambe/Allnatt/Dixon cast on Gramilano and have realised that this thread has not (yet) gone beyond opening night. 
Hoping that comments will flow after the cinema relay. There are some interesting line-ups.

I’m really looking forward to the cinema relay.

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 5

I couldn'timagine Vadim as an effective Rudolf, but he blew me away and was one of the best I have ever seen.   Oh Sim, I would so love to have seen him in that. I know he said on Instagram that it had been so intense that he was still caught up in it when the curtain calls came. 

• Like 2

On 05/12/2023 at 10:20, oncnp said:

Cut and paste takes up a lot of space so here's the link   The-Nutcracker-Friends-Rehearsal-Cast-Sheet-05-12-2023.pdf (roh.org.uk)

I know the Friends Rehearsal is long over, but as I was reading the cast list, I couldn't help thinking that everyone listed in the cast would make a fantastic group dacing together at an actual performance. I don't want to have seen the dress rehearsal- I'd like to see it as the real thing during a run of performances, perhaps for 2-3 shows. Maybe for next year or the year after? 😀 I haven't actually booked for Hayward,  Campbell or Tsembenhoi as SPF/Prince/Clara this seasoj so unlikely to see them in these  roles (unless one ends up covering for someone injured or indisposed) this Christmas, but hoping some of the other dancers will be cast in the same roles at the shows I've booked.