RB Nutcracker Dec/Jan 23/24

Well, I feel privileged to have been at the Paul Hamlyn Christmas treat this afternoon. It was the first ever 'relaxed' performance by the Royal Ballet Company and what a gem of an event it was! I brought my learning disabled daughter. Gary Avis did a terrific job introducing the story and characters and letting the audience know what to expect. The auditorium was gently lit throughout, which had the unexpected bonus of being able to see how much other families were enjoying it too. It didn't matter that people got up, called out or had whispered exchanges about what was happening onstage. For once, no-one frowned or shushed. We all understood each other. We were part of a truly special group of people mesmerised by a beautiful ballet. More of these relaxed performances please! 

• Like 35

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Well, I feel privileged to have been at the Paul Hamlyn Christmas treat this afternoon. It was the first ever 'relaxed' performance by the Royal Ballet Company and what a gem of an event it was! I brought my learning disabled daughter. Gary Avis did a terrific job introducing the story and characters and letting the audience know what to expect. The auditorium was gently lit throughout, which had the unexpected bonus of being able to see how much other families were enjoying it too. It didn't matter that people got up, called out or had whispered exchanges about what was happening onstage. For once, no-one frowned or shushed. We all understood each other. We were part of a truly special group of people mesmerised by a beautiful ballet. More of these relaxed performances please! 

Thanks so much for this.  I was so hoping it would be a success.  What a brilliant idea and I am so pleased it was such a hit.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

So lovely to read that your experience was exactly how a relaxed performance should be.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Lovely. Here's hoping this is the first of many relaxed performances at the ROH and I'm sure everyone here is delighted you and your daughter had such a wonderful experience, alongside many others.

It appears the ROH has worked diligently to make today memorable.  I note that there are 'visual guides' produced of Nutcracker which others may wish to look at. Lovely photos, clear explanations, great for anyone taking children to other performances.

https://www.roh.org.uk/learning/families/paul-hamlyn-christmas-treat

Well done ROH.  Well done the Helen Hamlyn Trust, in memory of Paul Hamlyn.  Yes more of this, please!

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Ondine said:

Saturday afternoon debut I think for Viola Pantuso and Daichi Ikarashi?

Possibly others? 

Yes. The casting this year is especially interesting. A lot of debuts happening in the many special performances.

Nutcracker provides numerous, great opportunities in both cameo and more substantial roles.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Yes. The casting this year is especially interesting. A lot of debuts happening in the many special performances.

Nutcracker provides numerous, great opportunities in both cameo and more substantial roles.

Marco Mascara's debut as Clara's Partner on 7/12 is worth a mention.  His dancing is pure, clean and precise.  His characterisation full of detail in whatever he dances. (Even as a party guest in yesterday's ensemble he stood out as he 'worked the room'.)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Marco Mascara's debut as Clara's Partner on 7/12 is worth a mention.  His dancing is pure, clean and precise.  His characterisation full of detail in whatever he dances. (Even as a party guest in yesterday's ensemble he stood out as he 'worked the room'.)

Agree that Marco is an amazing talent but I’m afraid his constant ‘attention-drawing’ antics as a beggar in Don Q and, now,  as a ‘room worker’ in The Nutcracker are all too much for me. 
I appreciate that corps dancers are encouraged to weave their own stories to make the background ‘live’ but he is a distraction from what should be ‘centre stage’ and (in my view) needs to be told to rein it in a bit. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Marco Mascara!  Sounds like he should be dancing in the Kit Kat Club instead of the RB!  😂😂

• Like 7

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Agree that Marco is an amazing talent but I’m afraid his constant ‘attention-drawing’ antics as a beggar in Don Q and, now,  as a ‘room worker’ in The Nutcracker are all too much for me. 
I appreciate that corps dancers are encouraged to weave their own stories to make the background ‘live’ but he is a distraction from what should be ‘centre stage’ and (in my view) needs to be told to rein it in a bit. 

I disagree with the idea that the background action is taking away from what is happening centre stage. For me it makes a ballet much more interesting as a three-dimensional narrative story and elevates it beyond a mere background for the principals’ set pieces.

All the street urchins in Don Q had the same level of energy and were very watchable so presumably this is the Director’s decision not the individual dancer. And, for me this added to my enjoyment of the piece as a whole.

If an individual has stage presence he or she will inevitably draw the eye whether standing, moving or dancing. I remember my eye being drawn to David Donnelly in earlier runs of Don Q when he was not much more than a waiter at the tavern. Or William Bracewell at the side of the stage in Coppèlia when he lifted a tankard to raise a toast.

On another note, it was good to see Liam Boswell back onstage yesterday. 

Edited by PeterS
Replace beggars with street urchins. I’m not sure beggars would become dance partners in the later tavern scene
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, PeterS said:

I disagree with the idea that the background action is taking away from what is happening centre stage. For me it makes a ballet much more interesting as a three-dimensional narrative story and elevates it beyond a mere background for the principals’ set pieces.

All the beggars in Don Q had the same level of energy and were very watchable so presumably this is the Director’s decision not the individual dancer. And, for me this added to my enjoyment of the piece as a whole.

If an individual has stage presence he or she will inevitably draw the eye whether standing, moving or dancing. I remember my eye being drawn to David Donnelly in earlier runs of Don Q when he was not much more than a waiter at the tavern. Or William Bracewell at the side of the stage in Coppèlia when he lifted a tankard to raise a toast.

On another note, it was good to see Liam Boswell back onstage yesterday. 

I do find the background acting distracting sometimes as it’s so good! Where do I look?  My solution to the ‘problem’ is simple. Go and see multiple performances and look at different roles each time! 🤣 That’s my excuse for going more often to Covent Garden and  I’m sticking to it! 🤪

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PeterS said:

I agree here, I'm sure every current principal had their moment of being the scene stealing background character before they made it to the main character. It certainly adds to the realism of the whole piece, something the RB is very good at doing particularly in the Giselle mad scene - the worry and shock on everyone's faces certainly adds to the torment.

I think Marco is very watchable and I like his acting. I think he certainly stole the scene a lot as the Jester in Cinderella, but not to the extent that I wasn't paying attention to the main couple (Osipova/Clarke). 

I am curious as to why he isn't making a Hans Peter debut - I suppose he would be if there were any further injuries, as Daichi is now standing in for James Hay. I would be interested to see him doing more partnering work, as I think that requires quite a bit of making the other person look good as well as yourself. (Flashback to one Monica Mason interview where I think she mentioned how difficult it was to partner Nureyev sometimes). 

He was a very good partner for Francesca Hayward in Dante Act 2 (admittedly a very short piece though). I would be very interested in seeing him continue to partner more experienced dancers, for example Osipova. May sound random, but I think they would suit each other in terms of energy (not sure when/how that could work though). 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I would be very interested in seeing him continue to partner more experienced dancers, for example Osipova. May sound random, but I think they would suit each other in terms of energy (not sure when/how that could work though). 

I think that might result in a nuclear explosion! 

• Like 3

Looking back, Marco joined the Company at the same time as Daichi. So, yes, he is probably a ‘cover’ for Hans Peter - and very deservedly so.

I think that there’s a bit of hangover from ‘you know what’ in terms of dancers progressing into  🌰cracker opportunities. This year seems to be one for bit of a ‘catch up’ to the benefit of all, not least the audiences.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, capybara said:

Looking back, Marco joined the Company at the same time as Daichi. So, yes, he is probably a ‘cover’ for Hans Peter - and very deservedly so.

I think that there’s a bit of hangover from ‘you know what’ in terms of dancers progressing into  🌰cracker opportunities. This year seems to be one for bit of a ‘catch up’ to the benefit of all, not least the audiences.

“ you know what” sounds a bit like “ he who must not be named” in Harry Potter.  Must use it whenever possible.😂😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silke H said:

Thanks @Silke H Brilliant photos, as usual! I haven't read any reviews of Sophie Allnatt or Leo Dixon from this performance. I'd love to read some reviews of them and the rest of the cast (who are different to the opening night cast I saw). Anyone who went got any thoughts? :) 

• Thanks 1

I’m not sure where to post this so mods please feel free to move it.

Radio 3’s The Listening Service on Friday 8th December was:

‘The Nutcracker - Strange Enchantments’

an interesting 30 mins background to The Nutcracker and its origins.

available on BBC Sounds

Edited by PeterS
  • Thanks 4

29 minutes ago, PeterS said:

I’m not sure where to post this so mods please feel free to move it.

Radio 3’s The Listening Service on Friday 8th December was:

‘The Nutcracker - Strange Enchantments’

an interesting 30 mins background to The Nutcracker and its origins.

available on BBC Sounds

BBC Radio 3 - The Listening Service, The Nutcracker - Strange Enchantments

My cinema relay wasn't brilliantly attended but more than Don Q.  I think we managed a dozen people which is twice what we had for the last one. 

Still never mind I enjoyed myself.  I like that production.  It was lovely seeing Gary Avis in the introductory comments.  He looked so handsome in his suit.  I am always captivated by what he says as well as his fine eyes. 

I loved the party scene.  Christopher Saunders and Kristen McNally looked excellent as the parents.  That fashion really suits her face and colouring and he's such a silver fox in those trousers!  The dancing was good too.  Daichi Ikerashi stood out for me as Drosselmeyer's assistant and I liked Liam Boswell as Clara's partner.  

As always David Donnelly is a tour de force as the Mouse King.  I loved how he used his tail and managed everything so smoothly that it looked easy despite the mouse head.  He's really gifted in character parts.  

Sophie Allnatt was a charming Clara, lovely feet and arms and looked really captivated by everything she saw.  Leo Dixon was also lovely as her partner and had some lovely technique in his parts of the Trepak and the other dances. Thomas Whitehead was good as Drosselmeyer but I have a weakness for Benn Gartside and Gary Avis and none of the others quite do it for me as much.  

I really liked Tasuki Nakao and Joshua Junker in the Russian dance.  They were so well co-ordinated and had such lovely jumping technique.  Isabella Gasparini felt a bit unsure in the Rose Fairy role, I thought she almost stumbled a couple of times which is a shame.    

I thought Anna Rose and Marci were a good pair in the Sugar Plum Fairy and Prince roles.  They had very good chemistry and obviously like dancing together. 

Overall I thought it was a great performance and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Full house at Basildon Cineworld - who knew there were so many ballet fans in Basildon!

The cinema relay went off without at hitch. Loved Darcey’s sequin green mini dress. Agree with @Tango Dancerone of the highlights was the interview with Gary Avis - that suit was some seriously crisp tailoring - he looked fantastic. I really enjoyed the clip of Darcey coaching AROS and Marcelino Sambe in the studio too.

Another highlight was Darcey and Petroc behind the curtain at the end of Act I when one could see all the snowflakes and Clara walking of stage chatting and hugging - such a privilege to see behind the scenes of this fabulous production.

Dancing wise a highlight for me is the Arabian as it takes me back to playing the music for it when I was at music school. Olivia Cowley dances it so beautifully too. Even more impressive since she’s come back from maternity leave too. Kudos for that. 

For some reason I just didn’t connect with the Nutcracker magic tonight overall though, possibly as it’s my first time watching in the cinema and I think it’s good to be able to see the snowflake formation from above a little which doesn’t come across in the cinema. Also the gargantuan size of the tree and the silk backdrop rushing down in act I aren’t as impactful on film. 

Side note: Any takers for a ‘fantasy nutcracker’ thread - a bit like fantasy football but the ballet version where one can describe their fantasy Nutcracker cast? I only have a very short ballet watching career, but Mine would definitely involve Gary Avis as Drosselmeyer, Isabella Gasparini or Francesca Hayward as Clara, I’d love to see Joonhyuk Jun as Hans Peter and Marianela Nunez as SPF.

Edited by Angela Essex
Tagged wrong person
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

Side note: Any takers for a ‘fantasy nutcracker’ thread - a bit like fantasy football but the ballet version where one can describe their fantasy Nutcracker cast? I only have a very short ballet watching career, but Mine would definitely involve Gary Avis as Drosselmeyer, Isabella Gasparini or Francesca Hayward as Clara, I’d love to see Joonhyuk Jun as Hans Peter and Marianela Nunez as SPF.

Ooh! I like this idea. Sugar Plums - Kaneko/Bracewell. Clara/Hans-Peter - Hayward/Campbell. Drosselmeyer - Avis. Rose Fairy - Magri. 

• Like 5

Interesting to compare cinema capacity … Bristol Everyman had about 80 watching Nutcracker this evening.  

I remember the Nutcracker relay preceding Covid being fully sold out in the larger screen which seats 243.  

And the nearest competitor cinema (Showcase Cabot) has closed down.  

Why are so few going to cinema, 4 years on?  Hmm. 

• Like 2

Full house tonight at the Curzon in Wimbledon. I thought it was an excellent performance and I really enjoyed the interviews etc. (Funny seeing the beautiful snowflakes stomping off backstage in the interval! Not that they really stomp, of course; but a combination of pointe shoes and turn-out does lead to a rather amusing walking style...).

Fantasy cast, from current dancers: Sugar Plums: Nunez/Muntagirov; Clara/Hans Peter: Hayward/Campbell; Drosselmeyer: Avis; Rose Fairy: Kaneko.

• Like 7

I enjoyed the relay. Everything went smoothly at Cineworld - though it always does - and everything went smoothly on the dancing front too! That was such a relief as I feel for the dancers - they did so well though. I always enjoy the interviews and little videos and tonight's were excellent.

Allnatt's Clara was elegant, sweet and confident - I liked her. Dixon was dashing, confident and classy as Hans-Peter. I thought he and Allnatt had good chemistry.  Whitehead was a good Drosselmeyer and everyone else was extremely good too. It was full of excellent dancing. I liked Gasparini's Rose Fairy - she was light-footed and sweet, lots of joy from her too.

Sugar Plum pair were very good - technically assured, confident and they appeared to love dancing together - I saw a great joy and chemistry from both. Sambe is not my 'ideal' Prince - I prefer the more 'danseur noble' types in this role (Bracewell, Muntagirov, Ball, for example) - but he acquitted himself very well and was an attentive partner - loved his glittery hair! O'Sullivan looked like a gorgeous Sugar Plum and was technically assured, I thought, though on occasion I didn't find her dancing as seamless as I would like. 

It was a very enjoyable evening but I found the main camera angle a bit annoying - it was slightly offset and I felt like I was siting on the left hand side of ROH - not sure why it was at the angle and I'm not sure why it bothered me a bit, but it did.

• Like 8

It sounds like everyone else didn't have any technical hitches? Unfortunately the cinema where I was watching lost the picture during the Waltz of the Flowers & it didn't return until near the end of the first part of the grand pas. We still had the sound, which was arguably more frustrating than if both had gone.

• Like 3