RB Nutcracker Dec/Jan 23/24

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, alison said:

Pah! I'd forgotten this was on.

It won't do a magical vanishing act so you'll be OK to catch it. It was lovely.

All three dancers impressive, the 'musical interlude' with Kate Shipway  and Rob Clarke playing together a treat. Gary Avis was on top form and all three 'debutante' dancers impressed.

Giacomo Rovero I particularly enjoyed.  Lovely jumps and dance quality. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Given Nutcracker has an annual outing, it’s amazing that the Insights are still so fresh and provide a new window into the ballet. Delighted that both Marianna and Giacomo get to debut and wonderful to see them dance up close. Seeing the battle scene focussed on only Nutcracker/Hans Peter, it looks like an exhausting lead into the pdd so hats off to Giacomo who made it look anything but!! Also lovely to see a new Drosselmeyer in training and understand the finer details. In awe as well at the number of corrections/builds Gary Avis can store and then relay after the dancers perform a section. 
Left on a high but frustrated at the 2 week wait until the dress rehearsal. 

• Like 8

Yes impossible to imagine that Giacomo had only been told at midday that he was replacing Junker for this insight!! Both he and Marianna looked like they’d been rehearsing for ages together. I was very impressed by both though Marianna more on my radar before now. I have noticed Giacomo on stage occasionally but seeing him close up today was a revelation that he’s a really nice dancer so will look out for him more often now. 
He will actually be dancing this role with Bomin Kim and Marianna with Junker if he has recovered. 
Also agree that Gary has such an eye for detail and remembering all the coaching details he wants to give. 
Even though the Drosselmeyer role  doesn’t require any big leaping about in the ballet just the sheer amount of continual covering of the stage looks pretty exhausting!! 

• Like 6

What a wonderful Insight! Have just watched it. All the dancers were brilliant and Gary Avis is just incredible. You understand why he is such a superb dramatic/character dancer because he understands exactly why he is doing every move and imbues it all with complete meaning (and passes it all on with such clarity and generosity). He has the perfect mix of being both demanding and encouraging to the young dancers. I'd love to see Aiden O'Brien's Drosselmeyer - he looks really charismatic! But that would have to involve booking another performance... unless he does the Friends' Rehearsal. And such beautiful piano playing from Kate Shipway.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

Unfortunately (in one way!) all the performances are booked out now anyway. So Friday Rush may have to come into play... 

Gosh - having all the performances, including the post-Christmas ones selling out before the end of November is pretty amazing!

(Well, that comment has just been negated. Obviously there is a new sales strategy!)

Edited by capybara

25 minutes ago, PeterS said:

new tickets released this evening for all performances 1st January onwards £8 - £108.  about 30 tickets per performance

Strange! Thank you (though for me Nutcracker in January would feel very odd!).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, capybara said:

Gosh - having all the performances, including the post-Christmas ones selling out before the end of November is pretty amazing!

(Well, that comment has just been negated. Obviously there is a new sales strategy!)

I think it's just that they've released the wheelchair spaces, given where the new seats are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We count Christmas as being up to 6 Jan in our household, so January Nutcrackers still work well for us (but must be no later than 7 Jan for me)! It does have a different vibe to Nutcracker before 25 Dec though, and Nutcracker during 26 -31 Dec also feels a little different. I notice that RB are performing Nutcracker twice on New Year's Day this year-a day that would previously have been rest days for the company and crew. I guess the cost of living increases and slight drop in funding from the Arts Council are starting to bite.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I notice that RB are performing Nutcracker twice on New Year's Day this year-a day that would previously have been rest days for the company and crew. I guess the cost of living increases and slight drop in funding from the Arts Council are starting to bite.

my incomplete calendar shows RB Nutcracker was danced on New Year’s Day 2019 & 2021 (cancelled due to pandemic) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bridiem said:

Strange! Thank you (though for me Nutcracker in January would feel very odd!).

I actually prefer January as I feel there's less crowds and less chance of disruptive audience members post the Christmas holidays. Plus the Clara I want to see (Marianna) isn't doing public shows in December.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

I actually prefer January as I feel there's less crowds and less chance of disruptive audience members post the Christmas holidays.

I share this preference & for the same reasons. However in general I'll book for when the dancers I want to see are performing, whenever in the run that is. (Though I can't entirely do that this year, as I have no trains to London from Christmas to New Year.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

I actually prefer January as I feel there's less crowds and less chance of disruptive audience members post the Christmas holidays. Plus the Clara I want to see (Marianna) isn't doing public shows in December.

27th December, surely?  Or am I confusing her with someone else?

Lots of cast changes, including the replacement of Gartside as previously discussed upthread, have now appeared on the ROH website. I've listed (hopefully) all of them on the autumn casting thread. (Hope it's okay to link to that thread. I know we're not supposed to post the same info on 2 different threads.)

I confess I am a bit diasppointed that Gartside's Drosselmeyers are being shared out between Avis, Whitehead & O'Brien rather tahn O'Brien taking over all of them, as it means that for the performance I'm booked for I won't get to see O'Brien.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Lots of cast changes, including the replacement of Gartside as previously discussed upthread, have now appeared on the ROH website. I've listed (hopefully) all of them on the autumn casting thread. (Hope it's okay to link to that thread. I know we're not supposed to post the same info on 2 different threads.)

Looks like Valentino Zucchetti and Benjamin Ella are out during the first week commencing 6 Dec but are still listed on 18 Dec (Zucchetti), 20 Dec (Ella) and subsequently, so hopefully they have something shortlived like flu or a cold, or a sprain or minor injury, rather than a major injury. But James Hay and Bomin Kim are both out for the entire run, sadly (and Bennet Gartside's shoulder surgery we already knew about). Wishing all the injured, ill or recuperating dancers a speedy recovery!

That said, toi toi toi to Daichi Ikarashi making his debut as Hans-Peter on 9 Dec sooner than expected - I think he will be fantastic, judging by his other performances this year (and before....I don't think I've ever seen Daichi being less than superb in any performance of his that I've attended).

I guess nowadays injuries and cast replacements are part and parcel of Nutcracker runs in large companies (ENB & BRB also having cast changes), given the number of performances they have to offer to 1) balance the books and 2)  because so many theatregoers love it. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

That said, toi toi toi to Daichi Ikarashi making his debut as Hans-Peter on 9 Dec sooner than expected

Was Ikarashi down to dance Hans-Peter later in the run originally then? I don't recall him being in the original casting info at all.

Also does anyone know if Acri's performance as the Prince at the first schools matinee will be his role debut? I don't remember him dancing that role in previous runs, only Hans-Peter, but I may be mistaken.

• Like 1

Am really sorry not to see Hay on the 19th was very much looking forward to seeing him as Hans Peter again but will also be happy to see Daichi Ikarashi in the role as am sure he will give his all and he has danced with Viola (who will be Clara) really successfully before so looks like an exciting evening. 
Having seen Marianna and Giacomo rehearsing in the insight evening recently and as luck would have it they are now dancing together for real am sure that will be an excellent partnership too   ….though hoping Bomin Kim will also be back dancing again soon as must be disappointing for her…..such a great role for a young dancer. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Was Ikarashi down to dance Hans-Peter later in the run originally then? I don't recall him being in the original casting info at all.

Also does anyone know if Acri's performance as the Prince at the first schools matinee will be his role debut? I don't remember him dancing that role in previous runs, only Hans-Peter, but I may be mistaken.

I was thinking career-wise; Daichi wasn't on the original advance casting to dance Hans-Peter but it looks like he was a cover/understudy, otherwise another of their many original Hans-Peters would probably have been asked to replace James Hay instead. Daichi being a relatively recent joiner was still rotating around the Drosselmeyer's assistant/Chinese dance/Clara's partner roles that they often do before being cast as Hans-Peter: I still remember Zucchetti,  Ella and Hay dancing Clara's partner in Act 1 😀

I don't think there was any doubt that Daichi would one day dance Hans-Peter though, such is his talent. Luca Acri hasn't danced the Prince before so it will be his debut in this production too. Disappointing that we won't see Hay and Kim in their scheduled lead roles this time but also very exciting for their colleagues. I hope next season will give us Bomin as Clara and James as the Prince.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ooh it’ll be nice to see a new (to me) Rose Fairy in the cinema relay.  I’m sure she’ll suit this role well indeed.  

Yuhui Choe is my all time favourite Rose Fairy so far.  

Edited by FionaM
Spelling
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, FionaM said:

Ooh it’ll be nice to see a new (to me) Rose Fairy in the cinema relay.  I’m sure she’ll suit this role well indeed.  

Yuhui Choe is my all time favourite Rose Fairy so far.  

A few years back who was the preferred Rose Fairy became quite a ‘thing’ on here. IIRC, Yasmine Naghdi was the ‘winner’ by a mile. 
It was all in good fun, of course, because choosing was well nigh impossible.

• Like 3